AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
supersonic

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by supersonic »

With 2022 in the books, what can this federation do to get out of its overall Total Nonstop Soyboy Action ethos that started rising last spring and totally dominated the last third of the year?
DougN

Post by DougN »

Honestly, just stop jam packing the shows with stuff. That's the main, MAIN comparison to TNA -- the constant need to rush out of things because you overbooked the show. The Thunder Rosa title win last week was one of the most blatant examples of this.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Montana

Post by Montana »

That was easily the best dynamite i've seen. PPV level card. Mox/Hangman, Danielson/Takeshita, and the Trio's ladder match were all great. Even the filled stuff for the epsidoe was quite good. MJF promo, Women's tag, Jericho & Starks promo, Acclaimed appearance, and even the Jungle Hook vs. Big Bill / Lee Moriarty was solid. The only mis-step was originally planning a mystery partner, only to just be Toni Storm. Extremely minor in the grand scheme of things. AEW has a majority of the top talent in the world. Just need to use it more often like this.
DougN

Post by DougN »

They should have cut the JAS stuff so they could have let the main event have some breathing room. They rushed the intro and the finish/post-match SO bad. Every Dynamite has like 5 minutes worth of stuff that should have been cut and causes the rest of the show to compensate.

BUT with that said, yeah, absolutely amazing Dynamite. Even the women's tag match was really fun. Saraya is still getting her ring stamina back, but the first like 5-7 minutes of the match were really, really good.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

The quality has gone up since the reboot. Danielson is creating the next generation of main eventers with his gauntlet run to the title shot.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Guevera definitely should be in the world title mix. After all, just 2-3 weeks ago in the ladder match for a championship shot, he clearly had the fighting spirit focus of winning the match and regaining the TNT Title, much more so than just doing cool-looking moves to pop the dweebs that he claims to view unfavorably.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Danielson screams "You are everything that is wrong with wrestling!" in Kenny Omega's face.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

So he's just being the fictional surrogate for Punk.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

GOLDBERG VS. STING OR BUST
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Bryan Danielson: "Hell, from what I've seen this week, we are the only real professional wrestlers in all of damn America!" #AEWDynamite
Montana

Post by Montana »

I was a bit let down by their massive announcement. I do think it's pretty sweet that they are running Wembley stadium,especially for the fans in the UK. That's nuts. Plus "All In" 2 .. Guess we;ll see if they can pull in 90K fans... I don't want to say impossible; and hope they get it; but my gut it thinking they'll get 40-50K, which is still a great number. Believe their previous high was 22K. I assume some massive marketing for this over the next couple month. Also, gotta think maybe TK has some tricks up his sleeve. Maybe a punk return (although i could take or leave that)

Glad FTR won and staying in AEW. Think they are a great fit and asset to AEW.

Interesting way to start with Jay White. It was kinda cool, but also could have probably been a bit more of an iconic moment; if done a little differently. I wish for the best for him in AEW; but have a feeling he may get a little lost in the shuffle of AEW. Think he may have done better in WWE, but who knows if Vince is calling all the shots now.

BCC was supposed to explain why they turned heel; and really didn't. Think they could be a great heel faction, i just wish there was more story to them turning heel. Feels very much like they turned to set up a feud with the Elite for a Blood and Guts match; rather than turning heel because of that's what's best for the character. (Much like Jonathan Gresham)

Feels like Tony will has made some big splashes to start the spring/summer.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

I'm hoping they draw a big crowd at Wembley Stadium, but given how many seats remain at the T-Mobile Arena for Double or Nothing, I hope you'll understand if I'm a tad skeptical. But then it's AEW's first trip to England, and the original All In was done on a dare to sell out a 10,000 seat arena, so we'll see if history repeats itself there.

The first hour of Raw, with almost all talking save for a three-minute squash, really left a bad taste in my mouth. Jay White's debut and the FTR-Gunns match made AEW the far better show. Hell, even MJF's singing was better.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

BCC was supposed to explain why they turned heel; and really didn't.
The explanation is that the actual act which would authentically shit on AEW's ethos is still out of the picture and we have to settle for cast members in his place.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

After last night's pathetic, laughter-inducing dead air opening segment, here's the palette cleanser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO0j3xaZ53E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRXeoi2YpfM
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

So what up with this brand split???

Pro-Wrestling Guerilla on Wednesday. Ring Of Honor on Thursday, and Territory Days on the weekends?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

viewtopic.php?p=200460#p200460
What are the gambling odds that TK tries politely planting the idea of McGuinness reevaluating his health for one last round against Danielson?
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a436 ... n-wembley/
If McGuinness does decide to wrestle again, there are many names of potential opponents that fans would salivate over, but McGuinness says he would rather take on someone from his history and there's one man he has in mind.

"In terms of dream opponents, obviously it would have to be someone like Dragon [Bryan Danielson], given our history and the true story that's there," McGuinness said.

"I think the best stories, the best angles in wrestling, always have that undercurrent of reality and it's just so real there.

"It's just so real and it's so honest and authentic and nuanced as well in the sense that, it's not just as simple as there's a good guy and a bad guy, you can understand and you can identify with both of our journeys.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Was at AEW Dynamite live this week; a few random thoughts....

The live experience was a lot different from last years dynamite i've attended; Last year had about 10 matches taped for AEW dark; this year only 2 dark matches, that were actual dark matches; i don't believe taped for anything. This was a better pace to start the show. The tickets said the matches start at 7; and they played videos for about 20-30 minutes first.

Dynamite was great. I was lucky enough to get to go to one of the better Dynamite's. I was really hoping this could have been my first 5 star match live. Claudio/Rey was really good, as was Mox/Omega; but i don't think either got to a 5 star level. One of the more rounded Dynamites. All the matches were good. OC/Garcia was really good. House of Black matches were solid. Cool to have a handful of surprises too.

Rampage was fine. There was one above average match there. It was taped after Dynamite.

I wonder if Rampage will ever be taped before Dynamite in the future. It would seem that may make more sense for the live experience. I'd odd to end kinda on some OK matches; and nearly half the crowd was gone by the rampage main event. Plus the crowd that was super into Dynamite; were just semi-into Rampage. Or maybe they even tape 2 matches before and 2 matches after. I've never been to shows; where people were slowly exiting at this volume before the end. Granted; it's a Weds night.
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

Great episode of Collision, much better than Dynamite has been for a long long time
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

Personally, I would've taken five minutes off FTR-Bullet Club Gold (an absolute banger, don't get me wrong) and given it to Punk-Joe for a more epic feel.