AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
NewROHFan2020

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

BurningHammer wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:22 pm I realise it could be really difficult but I would try and find a way to change the set for Rampage as it’s just a bit too similar to Dynamite and those subtle changes can make the world of difference.
I mean, what difference does it really make? If the set were different would more/less people watch? I don’t know anyone who watches wrestling because of the way the set looks.

Only if Dynamite is taped at a different location every single week, it will probably remain the same.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:10 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:22 pm I realise it could be really difficult but I would try and find a way to change the set for Rampage as it’s just a bit too similar to Dynamite and those subtle changes can make the world of difference.
I mean, what difference does it really make? If the set were different would more/less people watch? I don’t know anyone who watches wrestling because of the way the set looks.

Only if Dynamite is taped at a different location every single week, it will probably remain the same.
To me it’s what made me Smackdown that bit more appealing when I used to watch, it felt like something new and fresh that was badly missing from the product at the time. If you are watching Dynamite you may not watch Rampage feels the same. Presentation at all levels is incredibly important in wrestling.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I kind of agree with the "what does a set matter," but production did mean a lot for WWE in rating wise. They were nosediving before going to the Thunderdome. SmackDown also started going downhill ratings wise when they got rid of the Fist and made it feel like just another RAW.

But I also don't think that it will work for Rampage specifically. It's a one hour show on Friday at 10 PM. It's a terrible time and the show will do what it will do.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Time get a glimpse at the new ROH via AEW Dynamite.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

DougN wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:48 am I kind of agree with the "what does a set matter," but production did mean a lot for WWE in rating wise. They were nosediving before going to the Thunderdome. SmackDown also started going downhill ratings wise when they got rid of the Fist and made it feel like just another RAW.

But I also don't think that it will work for Rampage specifically. It's a one hour show on Friday at 10 PM. It's a terrible time and the show will do what it will do.
Yeah I realise cost and the TV slot probably do play a lot into how Rampage is managed, but if you are looking to improve ratings, yes better matches will help, of course they will. I’m still of the that if you create a more distinct look again it will have more people watching. The colours, logo and set design did play a large role in what made me watch Smackdown way more than at the time. It just had a feel a tuned into more.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I think Rampage should be doing more themed shows, if that helps. If Dynamite get's St. Patrick's Day Slam, why can't Rampage get something every once in a while?
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

NJPW to start streaming AEW programming. Hope this benefits Ring Of Honor television.

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/njpw-wor ... -comments/

May be beneficial to experiment with ROH & NJPWofA talent during Friday Rampage. This might differentiate Dynamite from Rampage & help build the future.
DougN

Post by DougN »

TK needs to get off of Twitter.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

WHEELER FUCKING YUTA.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Pure tournament was the first I ever saw of him and his match with Gresham might be my favorite of the whole tournament. Dude can GO.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Discovery acquisition of Warnermedia may make Tony Khan reevaluate his AEW television product. There may be too much "shit" & blood for the new overlords.

Last week I heard the word "shit" 5-9 times in the first hour. Maybe 2 of them was correctly used. While the rest could have used different/clean verbiage & still have the impact.

Need to get these people some ghostwriters & a promo coach.
Montana

Post by Montana »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:11 pm WHEELER FUCKING YUTA.
Impressive match… had me thinking it could go either way towards the end. Can’t wait for ROH to get its own show, to heavily feature guys like Wheeler and Moriarty more heavily.
Montana

Post by Montana »

How about that ending ?!?
DougN

Post by DougN »

Not good at all.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

fuck i loved reading the reviews this morning. and we all know Tony boy thinks the negative reactions are those filthy bots
Montana

Post by Montana »

I feel like Tony get something right like Suzuki vs Joe… awesome match. But then completely misses with the ending and this new giant. Is the new ROH going to have monster matchups like Joe/Suzuki and then green as hell development people?? I don’t know… I feel they could still make the developmental work…. But maybe keep the greener talent off TV a while. Time will tell I guess.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Would have preferred Samoa Joe winning via DQ interference & leaving the belt on Minoru Suzuki for the duration of his American stay. Then give Joe his rematch (in the middle of Jay Lethal feud) & ROH TV Championship win.

Leaving the title on Suzuki until mid-may NJPW Capital Collision weekend to help the AEW & New Japan relationship. And create AEW/ROH content to display on New Japan World for expansion in Japanese TV/media.

Whatever.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I think the issue is that they build up an overrun AND did the whole lights out thing -- I think people expected a major return or debut and we got this guy. And it's no slight on this guy, but the AEW crowd is not the one to lose their shit because a 7 foot guy is in the ring. They could have done this angle in the middle of the show and it would have been infinitely better. Doing it in the main event aftermath the way they did -- hard pass.
Montana

Post by Montana »

DougN wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:00 am I think the issue is that they build up an overrun AND did the whole lights out thing -- I think people expected a major return or debut and we got this guy. And it's no slight on this guy, but the AEW crowd is not the one to lose their shit because a 7 foot guy is in the ring. They could have done this angle in the middle of the show and it would have been infinitely better. Doing it in the main event aftermath the way they did -- hard pass.
Agree 100%…. Was thinking the same. I’m not sure what the plan is, but maybe they want this Lethal/Giant/Dutt combo to be a major part of ROH.

Maybe it’s me, but the quicker AEW and ROH is sorted the better. Feels odd random ROH stuff in AEW. I think a cross over could work, but like I assume any AeW fans, who’ve never heard of ROH is confused as hell. Guess I would have introduced ROH differently with a video package. Loved Danielson/ Daniels… then maybe follow up with a pure rules match, and start to introduce some wrestlers to the new audience. Just seems like so many guys around, and feuding just To feud.
DougN

Post by DougN »

If they want to try and push that guy, go for it. But again, it was just a big dud doing it after such a fire match in an anticipated moment.

As for ROH, I'm really just waiting to see how things unfold, which I know is unfair because I'm quick to criticize other angles in AEW/WWE from the onset (anything with Cody really, Bianca last year, etc). On one hand, it looks like AEW is kind of milking the AEW name -- doing title changes with their belts so they don't have to sacrifice their own title plans. But on the flip side, this may be a way AEW is trying to get ROH more established with their own fanbase so ROH can start doing their own shows.

I really don't know, but considering how up and down things have been with ROH since last fall, I think it's really fine to just wait and see what ROH is like. I'd give it six months since the first show -- if we're still just seeing "stunt" booking for random TV shows in October, it's a major red flag.