AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
roacheyyy

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by roacheyyy »

Kingston/Jericho, Tag Title match, Punk/MJF, Mox/Danielson and the World Title match were all bangers
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

thank god for cm punk.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

The most recent Dynamite was the worst in a while, everything about it, I thought AEW had left behind.

The Jericho appreciation society segment had a number of things wrong that when trying to create a serious moment just makes it look pantomime.

Really don’t know if the title match was necessary especially at such a time in the show.

The Regal promo just went on way too long, way to convoluted, while never having the right cadence or manner that you needed to have for both men. The match itself didn’t really do much at all for both men, certainly not helped by Mox fucking the dive up and injuring himself. JD Drake has got worse since loosing the weight and the singlet just does work for him, he’s looked very out of place in AEW.

The age of the guys is showing, especially in the Jeff Hardy debut, both he and Sting just looked lazy and obvious. That whole segment overall was just bad, unfortunately language does play a role in wrestling and Andrade’s English is just too broken to carry a promo effectively. The timing of the thumbs up, just felt really off and why didn’t Butcher and The Blade get a vote?

Whoever thought Thunder Rosa is someone to hang your hat I really don’t understand, made even worse but putting Hirsch in a situation where she is having to run the ropes which is obviously a massive week point. I’d never thought I’d say but ROH really did have the best womens division of the currently wrestling era. It was well produced, thought out and structured with more thought in mind.

The Wardlow promo ran to long and was to matter of fact, especially in context of what he was saying, needed more emotion in every word to me.

The lack of call back to the PPV, throughout the show was a glaring mistake and I thought hurt the show in general.

The main event did what it needed to do but having a novice play a large part at the end was to me a mistake. There’s a lot of experience within the roster that’s currently being used in the wrong way and enough in the industry that should be brought and a lack of kept off the main screen.

As a side note JR and Tony are feeling a little long in tooth, there just feels there here for there history rather than anything on screen. I hope they are using there experience in the back and for everyone to get better from.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

It was a Russo-paced episode for sure.

Rampage has also followed the path of Heat now. Not at the post-War era of absolute filler, but a weekly program with a little bit of star power and popcorn matches that can easily be skipped in canon.

Is it time for Rampage to expand to 2 hours?
DougN

Post by DougN »

Totally disagree on Wednesday's episode, but hey, you can think what you want. Russo-paced is a little rough to throw out, but same point.

Rampage has definitely become less viable lately and I think it's because no real angles are run on the show so it just seems like a place for good to great matches. Which is fine... but not at 10 PM on a Friday. It's the time slot that kills them. Expanding to two hours won't help anything. Getting out of the time slot would help.

If they were 7 PM on a Friday, I wonder how much better received and rated (television-wise) it would be. I'm not saying it WOULD be -- I just wonder the difference.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

DougN wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:07 pm Rampage has definitely become less viable lately and I think it's because no real angles are run on the show so it just seems like a place for good to great matches.
Almost everyone is "a place for good to great matches." That isn't a draw by itself anymore.
Which is fine... but not at 10 PM on a Friday. It's the time slot that kills them. Expanding to two hours won't help anything. Getting out of the time slot would help.

If they were 7 PM on a Friday, I wonder how much better received and rated (television-wise) it would be. I'm not saying it WOULD be -- I just wonder the difference.
I wasn't referring to the ratings or time slots at all, I was referring to the show just being "good matches" filler (and I'm not even gonna dig into how so many of the Rampage matches are structured like a spot monkey poor man's tribute to the likes of Shawn Michaels, Rey Mysterio, AJ Styles, etc.)

Since you wanna introduce time slot discussion though - https://twitter.com/LV5454/status/14813 ... Yr2_i5zvVg
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I think looking at it through Russo eyes feels right actually, and if we are talking about Rampage I would say put a couple of these angles and matches on that show.

Keep the serious, heavier angles like with Punk/MJF for Dynamite, then have the Wardlow promo, Dante vs Hangman on Rampage. Gives low level Dynamite moments to your second show which is what is needed for such a show.

For me you really should of had Cole out in ring for a long winded promo (Heels should do this more). Hangman comes after being tired hearing all the waffle, crowed is thankful to Page for it l, a brawl happens a tag match is then announced.

Overall Khan is trying to fit alot of people and a lot of angles onto shows that need less and more space for each part to sink into the audience. It’s why I think ROH will end up being an important part for AEW as it gives such a roster time to feel important and still progressing in their careers.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Almost everyone is "a place for good to great matches." That isn't a draw by itself anymore.
Who else is on TV though? Impact? I really can't fathom anyone saying that Impact equals AEW on match quality and/or consistency except people just looking to shit on AEW.

I agree with you that just having good to great matches isn't a draw. Rampage is proving that hard because TK just fills the show with matches as opposed to doing like a ROH TV format where you get one 10+ minute match and one 20+ minute match and then some interviews or an angle.

But I would hardly agree that for weekly television, almost everyone has good to great matches right now on TV.
For me you really should of had Cole out in ring for a long winded promo (Heels should do this more). Hangman comes after being tired hearing all the waffle, crowed is thankful to Page for it l, a brawl happens a tag match is then announced.
It's statements like this that show how WWE dominating the business for 20 years has infected the brains of wrestling fans. This is literally the WWE playbook -- long-ass heel promo that's interrupted after it goes way too long and then leads to a tag match that just does 50/50 booking.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I’d skip the first 10+ minutes every week if that opening lengthy promo doesn’t involve a heel Punk, Kingston, or Danielson.

Cole is naturally gifted but everything about him is a surface-level one note.
DougN

Post by DougN »

10+ minute plus solo promo should not really be happening frequently on ANY TV show. Save them for special occasions. The worst part of Triple H's Reign Of Terror was the absurd heel promos every week that just ate up time. Even Punk in WWE at his height was getting old doing 10 minutes most weeks with a mic.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I don't mind long promo's on TV wrestling (WWE/AEW) It build characters and storylines. Now, i'll say you can't/shouldn't have the same person, cutting the same promo week in, week out. It shouldn't just be the guys/gals that can talk either. Yes, guys like Kingston/MJF/Jericho should cut more promo's than others, but like Santana and Ortiz should be cutting promo's too.

I will say, one thing i've liked about AEW this year; is their "surprises" each episode/ppv this year. Seems like it's been pretty much every week, between Mercedes Martinez, Kyle O Reily, buying ROH, Keith Lee, Jeff Hardy, etc etc. I wouldn't build the show around it, but as a viewer i appeciate they put to making each episode feel unique. Even just bringing in a legend once a week; would be good for WWE, but they don't even do that.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I can see that sentiment, but I think even with that feeling of making each episode unique, you have to admit that TK has debuted a LOT of wrestlers super quick and he's kind of burnt out the "special announcement" angle/hype.

Britt-Thunder delivered. That hand slap into the thumbtacks was a super creative spot.
Montana

Post by Montana »

DougN wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:07 pm I can see that sentiment, but I think even with that feeling of making each episode unique, you have to admit that TK has debuted a LOT of wrestlers super quick and he's kind of burnt out the "special announcement" angle/hype.

Britt-Thunder delivered. That hand slap into the thumbtacks was a super creative spot.
For sure, he played that major announcement, huge surprise one too many times. I like surprises, and i'm OK with a tease, but every show shouldn't be a tease. It doesn't even need to be someone new per say... Just have a guest legend guest commentator , or guest referee. Which they do pretty good at.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Oh I'm down for that too. Yeah, not every debut or guest needs to be promoted. Just something to give the show an air of unpredictability.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I stopped caring about Baker vs. Rosa as soon as they did the shittiest Stunner since Vince at MSG. Business-exposing.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

That women's title match was a dumpster fire. Way too many chairs ... and no psychology. Possible long-term play because title switch happened under a gimmick "protecting" baker. But it invalidates Thunder Rosa win.

If new challenges arrive for both of them, this may keep their feud alive for a future date.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Just a quick note to say that Bill Gunn’s kids have improved so much and really know their role so well.

Darby Allan is truly a one of a kind talent that really could be special.

Caster needs a lot of work but there could be something in a singles.

I realise it could be really difficult but I would try and find a way to change the set for Rampage as it’s just a bit too similar to Dynamite and those subtle changes can make the world of difference.

Overall I think things are starting to work out in AEW again after one or two pretty bad shows
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Darby Allin is mostly good at standing near Sting. His matches suck.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

famicommander wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:59 am Darby Allin is mostly good at standing near Sting. His matches suck.
Cool, happy to know that’s your opinion.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

BurningHammer wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:30 am
famicommander wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:59 am Darby Allin is mostly good at standing near Sting. His matches suck.
Cool, happy to know that’s your opinion.
He doesn’t like anything. Just complains