AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
supersonic

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by supersonic »

Too distracted by Daffney last night, but what I saw was a vast improvement over last week.

I think it's time for AEW to consider making its temporary home in Chicago (politically blue which means it's much likelier than Jacksonville to hopefully take the pandemic seriously again) until the pandemic is genuinely under control.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

supersonic wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:24 pm Too distracted by Daffney last night, but what I saw was a vast improvement over last week.

I think it's time for AEW to consider making its temporary home in Chicago (politically blue which means it's much likelier than Jacksonville to hopefully take the pandemic seriously again) until the pandemic is genuinely under control.
If you want to burn out a market, than yeah
DougN

Post by DougN »

I get what you're saying, but I think it's more about saving costs than taking the pandemic seriously. Plus, their own wrestlers don't take it that seriously so what are you going to do? The past year just exposed how many wrestlers across the whole world (WWE, AEW, NJPW, ROH) are complete idiots in real life.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Montana

Post by Montana »

What's everyone's take on the "All Out" card?

Overall, i'm sure it will be an enjoyable show; however this feels more like a shift into a mainstream product, than previous shows. Not sure if that's a good thing or not yet. You got Christian, CM Punk and Big Show in featured matches; while you have lots of talent on the sidelines. Was kinda looking for Andrade and PAC to steal the show; but guess that won't be happening. AEW can always rely on a Bucks vs Lucha Bros match. This reminds me of the "go to" of like Bucks and Briscoes. Nothing else really screams must see to me; or big matches. Punk and Darby should be interesting, but doesn't excite me at all. Omega and Cage is kinda ehh to me. but understand that was the backup plan. The Kojima match is just kinda there.

Surprised people like Brian Cage, Cody Rhodes, Malakai Black, Orange Cassidy, Sammy Guevara, Sting, Wardlow, Lance Archer, Adam Page, Jungle Boy, Ricky Starks aren't on the main show; but i guess gotcha make room for the new signings.

Sounds like Danielson, and maybe Adam Cole show up. That will be very interesting to see how they debut. I'm hoping i can watch it on Sunday, despite the card be average for an AEW PPV.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I actually give a shit about Punk vs. Allin, Omega vs. Christian, and Miro vs. Kingston. I'm still waiting for the Young Bucks to do something that's a long-form culmination instead of something thrown together because "hey, the PPV cycle is almost over."
DougN

Post by DougN »

supersonic wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:46 pm I actually give a shit about Punk vs. Allin, Omega vs. Christian, and Miro vs. Kingston. I'm still waiting for the Young Bucks to do something that's a long-form culmination instead of something thrown together because "hey, the PPV cycle is almost over."
You know, I really want to argue the Young Bucks point, but I think you're right. They haven't had a good title program yet as champs and they've been champs for about a year. They seem to just be plowing through teams which is fine for a bit, but not for a whole year.

Really hoping they do Pride N Powerful as the main challengers next. I have a feeling it will make for some good segments. Ortiz and Santana have really great babyface fire.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

What I'm really waiting for from the Bucks is a program structured similarly to Briscoes vs. Steen/Generico 2007. While they are the defining tag team of the past 15 years, they've yet to have a program on par with that, or even to New Day vs. Usos 2017.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I think in that way, you're not going to get it in AEW. Most of the stuff except for Moxley-Omega is not really standard program booking. Everything is more, "we do this match and then down the line, we'll do another and DRAW on the first match." The Bucks/Lucha Bros match last night was perfect.

It has its pros and cons to it. Pros are that it leads to some really fresh match-ups and banger matches, but cons are that it makes it all seem like there's no real storyline.
Montana

Post by Montana »

My "All In" thoughts...

As expected, very enjoyable show. Fantastic ending; really good cage match. I wouldn't call it the greatest show of all time; but i thought most of it was really good.

The Good...
Lucha Bros/Bucks cage match
Cole/Bryan's debut ... nicely done
Punk's match...while fairly simplistic; he looked in good shape; and didn't feel "off" or "rusty"
MJF vs. Jericho. ... really liked the finish to this match.

The OK
Omega / Cage... just kinda there. It felt like Cage had 0% chance of winning.
Big Shows match as expected.
Miro vs Kingston... no surprise there; but a pretty solid opener.
Women's matches... idk; i'm just not into them. They did OK.

I think this show was great for a handful of surprises; but also wasn't the greatest; as many of the matches were extremely predictable. Even with match placement; it was highly likley the Bucks would drop the belts; as they needed a title change; after Miro & Baker defended; and highly likely omega was defending. Only disappointment, was i thought was no Andrade match. Thought we would get Andrade vs mystery opponent.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I also thought they were going to shoehorn Andrade in somehow, but I'm okay with it. The show was long anyway.

If we're talking about the best PPVs of all time, I think it belongs in the discussion, but is not up there with some of the best NJPW or WWE shows, just from top to bottom. But I think it probably sneaks into the top 10. Mania X-Seven, MITB 2011, Canadian Stampede 1997, Wrestle Kingdom 11, Wrestle Kingdom 9, Dominion 2018, Dominion 2017 all stand out as better top to bottom shows than this.

This one DOES get buzz based on the debuts so the feeling now is that it must be better, but in a few years, I think people will rate it accordingly with those listed above.

Only thing I would say is predictability is not a terrible thing, but I will say that Christian and Omega main eventing was weak. It was a really strong match, but you knew there was absolutely 0% chance he would win. It's not even like PAC-Orange Cassidy-Omega where there was 0% they would win, but you could tell the crowd would LOVE if OC or PAC won. If Christian had won, people would have just been confused.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Rumors of Andrade's demise were greatly exaggerated. Shitty finish, but top notch match.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Why doesn’t AEW have house shows? No reason they can’t run one a week, especially with their roster now.
DougN

Post by DougN »

House shows are a money losing venture is the problem. They haven't been profitable for WWE for years and WWE was already scaling them way back before COVID hit.

It's great to get talent to learn quicker on the road, but it's going to be a money pit AND a lot of guys signed with AEW because the schedule was easier and lighter.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

House show revenue streams: tickets, merch

Literally any other show: tickets, merch, PPV or TV/streaming ad money, content for potential home video and/or subscription revenue down the line, potential content to use to grab attention on social media/Youtube with highlights/gifs/recaps/video packages on future programs

If you're going to pay people to wrestle in 2021 you might as well point a camera at it.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:51 pm House show revenue streams: tickets, merch

Literally any other show: tickets, merch, PPV or TV/streaming ad money, content for potential home video and/or subscription revenue down the line, potential content to use to grab attention on social media/Youtube with highlights/gifs/recaps/video packages on future programs

If you're going to pay people to wrestle in 2021 you might as well point a camera at it.
Revenue isn’t everything. House shows give the opportunity for more cities to be visited. Which means more potential fans to watch your television product. Not everyone wants to go to a taping and sit through commercials and video packages. Some people like seeing stuff live. Weird concept, I know.

If Dynamite and Rampage were held every week from a different city, that’s only 104 cities a year. Plus 4 PPVs?? They’ve probably going to run Chicago and Jacksonville a lot, which means ever less opportunity to make “personal connections” with young, future fans.
DougN

Post by DougN »

You have a point. You do. There are a lot of benefits to running house shows. However, the money pit of them has become apparent over the years. TNA ran virtually no house shows for this very reason (virtually being the key word, there were a very small number). WWE scaled theirs wayyyyy down.

Outside of the money though, I think it's far more appealing to talent not wanting to work a grueling schedule. Wrestlers can go home most weeks for more than one day instead of just popping in and out. There's more chance for their bodies to recover.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

DougN wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:22 pm You have a point. You do. There are a lot of benefits to running house shows. However, the money pit of them has become apparent over the years. TNA ran virtually no house shows for this very reason (virtually being the key word, there were a very small number). WWE scaled theirs wayyyyy down.

Outside of the money though, I think it's far more appealing to talent not wanting to work a grueling schedule. Wrestlers can go home most weeks for more than one day instead of just popping in and out. There's more chance for their bodies to recover.
Do you think TNA was as popular as AEW is right now? Your point about the schedule is legitimate if they’re doing all the time, but if you do 1 a week or every other week, not everyone would be working them. You can mandate 1 a month and still have a top notch main event. I’m just saying 1 per week is definitely doable, especially with the roster they have now.

You can always have some bastard recordings of them and put those matches on a streaming service later.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

On Jim Ross's podcast he has mentions a few times that AEW is going to run house shows, he just doesn't know when. I'd take that with a grain of salt because I'm sure he wouldn't be going to house shows so how would he know, unless Tony Khan was picking his brain about how to run them.
DougN

Post by DougN »

JR also seems like he talks out of his ass a lot of the time.

No, I think one house show a week and make it so older talent and main events don't work more than once a month is doable, but it's still costly to do that.

I think AEW gets around it by letting their wrestlers work whatever indy dates they want as long as they don't interfere with AEW.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Why does Dan Lambert keep showing up in wrestling? He’s worthless and nobody cares about him