AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
Montana

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by Montana »

Also; it will be interesting to see how many fans Punk / Danielson bring to AEW. Don't get me wrong; i think AEW is a good spot for them; where they can be idolized. Although; the 15K fans that came to see CM Punk.... it only felt like 5K fans , were like into the matches. They basically did a 10-15 minute spotfest; then rushed two other matches; with people they likely weren't familiar with. I was kind of interested to see how the full crowd reacted to the matches, and about as expected. Looked good on TV; but the upper sections didn't seem as into it; but you never know. Could just be new/different.

I could have sworn TK said there would be more than one surprise; and i certainly only saw CM Punk. Don't get me wrong; i'm not trying to be greedy; but dont say you have other surprises, when you dont.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:31 pm I saw a grown man crying. That’s sad. If a wrestler is coming back from some horrific injury or life event, or announcing a retirement or something, okay. But otherwise, pathetic.
you are dumb.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Didn't watch the show but watched a clip of Punk. Helluva pop, I'll say that.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

monster mafia wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:54 am
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:31 pm I saw a grown man crying. That’s sad. If a wrestler is coming back from some horrific injury or life event, or announcing a retirement or something, okay. But otherwise, pathetic.
you are dumb.
It was you then?
Indynut

Post by Indynut »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:59 am
you are dumb.
It was you then?
I am sure most fans had a proverbial creamfest over his return to wrestling.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Indynut wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:44 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:59 am

you are dumb.
It was you then?
I am sure most fans had a proverbial creamfest over his return to wrestling.
I have no problem with marking out, but crying is a bit much. Unless an injury or death of family member kept them away from the ring. A great moment in wrestling, but not for a grown man to cry
Montana

Post by Montana »

Looks like Adam Cole is AEW bound as well. I’m really surprised WWE didn’t get the deal done. He’s been one of those guys in NXT that you feel, like there’s your Future. Next HBK or next Seth Rollins. Whatever. I assume he wasn’t called up earlier because they wanted to keep NXt hot with AEW. Either way , Big loss for WWE. Not too many in Nxt that you can say is the future.

Another great signing for AEW. No clue how they can survive and pay all these guys, but we’ll see I guess. We’ll see if they end up getting more programming/ppv’s.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

400,000 more viewers for Punks debut than the debut episode.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:35 pm 400,000 more viewers for Punks debut than the debut episode.
Way more than i thought. I figured 950k. Looking like Dynamite now has a legit shot at topping Raw over next few weeks. I will guess 1.55 mill for this weeks show.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

After sitting through 5 hours of AEW TV in the past 7 days, I can safely say this:

They're gonna have to elevate their game by a substantial margin if they expect those of my ilk to stick around once the Punk & Danielson novelty wears off, and to also convince us to stop pontificating that it used to be fucking better.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I didn't watch WWE much when they had Punk and Danielson, can't see that changing too much now that they're in AEW. I'll definitely check out any matches they have that get a great reception but AEW is way too much of a chore to watch.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

supersonic wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:53 pm After sitting through 5 hours of AEW TV in the past 7 days, I can safely say this:

They're gonna have to elevate their game by a substantial margin if they expect those of my ilk to stick around once the Punk & Danielson novelty wears off, and to also convince us to stop pontificating that it used to be fucking better.
Can totally understand this. They have a quality tag team division but it's not properly developing to have title contenders and long-term feuds. People want a trios title but there's issues with tag teams. And all of this applies to the singles titles as well.

I look at all the old school guys they have working in operations & sit there and think "do the people running this ever ask these experienced people questions on how to create a successful product that has legitimate growth potential"?

Or is well financed carny show with gimmick booking good enough?
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

supersonic wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:53 pm After sitting through 5 hours of AEW TV in the past 7 days, I can safely say this:

You watch ROH, but AEW has to “elevate their game”? Nice use of “big” words, then following it up with a f bomb.
DougN

Post by DougN »

ROH fans shitting on AEW is a very weird sight to see. Not saying we can't criticize aspects of the show, but if you're not seeing the parallels between AEW today and ROH 2005-2008, you're really blinded. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but there is direction on so many guys underneath and many of them can be elevated at a moment's notice for a title match or feud, which was a hallmark of Gabe's prime in ROH.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Last night I watched Dynamite for the first time in over a year. The show was okay until after the CM Punk interview. There was a six man tag between Billy Gunn and his kids vs QT Marhsall and his guys. That list my interest and Tommy End wrestling Arn Anderson's kid felt odd in the main event spot. Maybe that was supposed to be a big deal and I just don't know it since I haven't watched in so long.

I think I should have watched on dvr and just watched the performers In interested in. I decided to watch again after seeing CM Punk back and knowing Daniel Bryan is on the way. I can always fast forward QT Marshall and watch the Lucha Brothers.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

DougN wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:23 am ROH fans shitting on AEW is a very weird sight to see. Not saying we can't criticize aspects of the show, but if you're not seeing the parallels between AEW today and ROH 2005-2008, you're really blinded. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but there is direction on so many guys underneath and many of them can be elevated at a moment's notice for a title match or feud, which was a hallmark of Gabe's prime in ROH.
Yeah, it’s pretty funny.
Montana

Post by Montana »

DougN wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:23 am ROH fans shitting on AEW is a very weird sight to see. Not saying we can't criticize aspects of the show, but if you're not seeing the parallels between AEW today and ROH 2005-2008, you're really blinded. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but there is direction on so many guys underneath and many of them can be elevated at a moment's notice for a title match or feud, which was a hallmark of Gabe's prime in ROH.
I completely mixed on AEW. I give them 100% credit for trying their best to put on an engaging program, to connect with the fans. Not to mention, paying lots and lots of wrestlers good salaries. They give their wrestlers creative freedom, and a good amount of days off. I wouldn't call it the best show; but i enjoy watching the 2 hours of Dynamite the most.

The downside... They've got WAY too much talent; that shouldn't be on the roster, in MY OPINION. The botches are beyond ridiculous at this point. They need to up their in ring quality by a lot...in MY OPINION. As other have said, they are lucky, their hasn't been a more serious injury yet. Unfortunately it's not if but when at this rate. I don't like how they use AEW Dark, but thats just my preference. I get "all Elite" is just the name; but would have preferred; if they been a tad more selective on new talent.

I'll say this too.... i hate the AEW fanbase and media. If you love the product, (and i do too a majority of the time) GREAT. But literally almost every post takes tabs at WWE. Just enjoy AEW; and not trash WWE. When you call them out; they are like mobbs defending their children. If you don't love everything AEW does; you love WWE and it's just tribalism mentality. I fully get why anyone may NOT like WWE programming; but they've got a formula and they do certain things for a reason. They ain't changing for you or I.

I don't see the paralels between 2005-2008 ROH and AEW. Maybe some era of TNA. Maybe i'm a little bias; but there were almost no weak links on the ROH roster 2005-2008. Sure; they had a few students in squash matches... but like the normal amount. ROH was very consistent with every show being very good. Some were great; a select few were only good; but match for match, show for show, ROH historically way more consistent. It's totally apples and oranges too, right, so it's really not a fair comparison. I have to imagine ROH produced more "classic" matches in those 4 years; than AEW will have... but again , it's subjective. I agree there are some similarities that AEW tries to keep everyone strong , ready for a title match.

Long term .... who knows how this all pans out for AEW. Do they survive long enough, to build their own stars?? Do they end up making mistakes that ultimately cost them? Overall i think TK has made many more good than bad decisions; but sometimes it doesn't take much. I think at some point; TK will need to make hard decisions; and either cut talent OR expand programming.

In terms of ROH today.... much like every program has their flaws. ROH's are very visible; and were sitting in cruise control too long. That being said; after 17 years of great wrestling.... i'm NOT turning my back; because they gave Matt Taven the belt. I get ROH takes a bit more work to follow; but they deliver a consistent quality product in MY OPINION. Hopefully the distribution improves; and booking is refreshed; but i'm a loyal guy like enjoys wrestling. If it's good than it's good.

So long story short; i like them both... i just don't like certain aspects of AEW; and really dislike their "everything is awesome" fanbase.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

AEW does have “too much talent”, especially with only 3 hours of TV each week. When guys like Christian and Punk come in, Brian Cage and Penta are seen less often.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Shorter explanation: ROH in the mid-2000s had a far more rugged roster and tone than AEW overall, and was also VERY selective about who even reached the main cards during that golden age. Remember that during the Reborn era, Steen & Generico STRUGGLED to get booked (and didn't do so until right as the TNA stars were moving on) in large part because the bar was just so damn high, especially after the overnight rise of Generation Next. Hero had to wait YEARS, and it was only because ROH desperately booked a crossover storyline due to Philly not moving tickets throughout 2005.

ROH also took itself incredibly seriously back then (especially in the blood feud department), while AEW across the board is still a lighthearted promotion, a trickle down effect from the majority of the front office. There's nobody in AEW currently like peak Homicide, that has the aura of danger that could blow up at any moment.

Most of all, the bar is higher now in terms of crowd connection - the flaws ROH had during its creative zenith will not be excused in AEW, because simply put, AEW has not connected with me on an emotional level like ROH did. Period.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The roster in AEW is incredible and I don't think anyone could argue against that point with a straight face.

But I still don't see very much that distinguishes AEW from WWE or Impact. It's the same style of wrestling, just with longer matches and more blood and swearing. We're still looking at the same basic formula. Horrible officiating, horrible camera work, horrible commentary across the board. Butler storylines, wedding storylines, kidnapping angles, Hornswoggle, teleporting characters, musical skits, cinematic matches, murder mysteries. Completely backwards booking. Literally all three companies are guilty of all of those sins just within the last year. Botches on top of botches on top of botches.