AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
Montana

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by Montana »

All Out = Rey Fenix

Leg injury -

*** update... appears to have been able to put weight on it backstage, this likely not broken. Sounds like he would still like to compete at all out. I assume he’ll be getting it checked out this weekend.***

That sucks for Rey and Aew. Hopefully AEW has some lessons learned from this. No word on a revised match yet, but could see a alternative partner from mexico, and possibly insert SCU into the match.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Finally caught up on AEW.

Shows were good, but JR really needs to step away from commentary.

AEW already has like 9 play by play guys anyway, and JR is just so done. He was done years ago. He can't keep up with the action.

AEW needs color commentators. Schiavone should be the regular play by play.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Ross is pretty awful nowadays. Just use him for those sitdown interviews and coach the newer guys.

I'm not sure if I said it here or somewhere else, but Marvez is this weird hybrid between a PR guy and a hype man, except the hype part is passionless/wooden (and thus impossible to take seriously) while the PR part is so heavy-handed and badly delivered that it makes the company look awful. Anyway, he sucks.

They signed that Goldenboy guy from Fyter Fest (he's also Alex something that ends with -ez) who I thought was pretty good for a guy who never did pro-wrestling commentary before.

Schiavone doesn't come off too good on the latest MLW taping. I don't know if he's supposed to be the color guy (Cornette clearly was) or a second pbp guy with Bocchini, but he's pretty subdued and I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't want to steal Bocchini spotlight and/or can't be a convincing color commentator.

Excalibur is fine, but he doesn't need to call every TOPE SUICIDA on each show.

So yeah, have a booth with Schiavone as the lead pbp, maybe Excalibur on color(?) with Alex not-Marvez. Marvez can do... whatever he's comfortable with, which is nothing we saw him do on camera or in front of a mic so far, and Ross as a coach/special interviewer/probably other things backstage.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

There are tons of great play by play guys active in wrestling right now:
Ian Riccaboni
Tony Schiavone
Mauro Ranallo
Excalibur
Kevin Kelly
the rarely seen Joey Styles

But there aren't many good color commentators out there right now in my opinion. Don Callis, Colt Cabana, and Caprice Coleman are the only three regulars that I enjoy among the active commentary teams right now. Rocky Romero is great too but, like with Colt and Caprice, I'd still rather see him wrestle.

I also strongly prefer a two person booth to a three person booth. A translator or occasional guest third commentator is fine, but two people is all you need most of the time.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Tony wasn't anything special prior to his hiatus from AEW either. I'd keep JR and Excalibur in the booth for now. Let Excalibur do play by play and let JR tell the story.

Marvez will have a job one way or another. Kahn isn't firing his friend.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Marvez is nothing more than a shill for the company. A blatant example of a conflict of interest...plus he sucks in the booth.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'd be cool with JR and Excalibur. Excalibur needs to be the voice of the product, and JR can drop one liners. I think adding a "good" color guy could help, but don't force it.

So AEW tomorrow?!? I'm mildly excited, and think it will be a good show. Not sure if i will watch it live though. Have to imagine Jericho is winning the belt. Omega has to win right?!? How do they make Pac look strong though. The Ladder match should still be good despite Fenix's injury. Cody vs. Spears will be a traditional good wrestling match with some intensity.

Honestly the rest of the card i'm not so sure on. ( Looks up matches)

Battle Royal for womens title shot.... I didn't know a womens title existed yet. With Kong in it i assume she wins.

Private Party vs. Evans/Angelico - Should be flippy fun.

Havok vs. Janela vs. Darby - Think AEW's mid card will get crowded QUICK. Should be pretty good.

Best Friends vs. Dark Order... Should be fine, not super excited for it.

Riho vs. Shida - Not for me

SCU - Luchasarus, Jungle and stunt - Another fun undercard match.

Overall should be a solid, fun show. Not a whole lot on the line, other than the AEW title. Looking more forward to TV, and any surprises.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

So far this TNT special is nothing but the Road to All Out videos and tons of commercials.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I hate double posting but since no one else is talking about it.....

I ordered All Out last night. Overall the show was fine. High point was the ladder match and the subsequent debut of yet another tag team. For me the low point was Cody and Spears. I just felt like I was watching a mid-2000 John Cena match where no matter what Spears and Tully did to Cody he would shake it off and just crush Spears. The rest of the show was fine. I didn't love or hate anything. A little disappointed in Pac/Omega but since it was a match for the sake of having one to make up for Moxley not being able to wrestle, I can't complain.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

kovs27 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:22 am I just felt like I was watching a mid-2000 John Cena match where no matter what Spears and Tully did to Cody he would shake it off and just crush Spears.
Every Cody match for the past eighteen months for me has been trying to see why people are so into him and winding through five minutes before deciding that people just like Triple H matches circa 2005.

I am a doofus who watches every promotion's big show of the year even though those events are basically mean for die-hards and will suck your life away if you decide to watch the whole thing. I thought PAC/Omega was almost perfect for what they decided to deliver. Private Party, A Boy, A Boy, and Their Dinosaur, and Goldenboy all came across as super fresh.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

I think it was an overall good show but at the same time it felt a bit formulaic but I was happy to see that they are putting some stuff out their for their TV show though at this point it seems like a lot of major storylines have been finished up even before the TV begins.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Friday night’s Countdown to All Out preview special averaged 390,000 viewers airing at 10 p.m. Eastern time on TNT.

In the key 18-49 demo, the show finished 29th for the night on cable with a 0.14 rating. According to Showbuzz Daily, the rating in the demo and the overall viewership number are considered average.

The Double or Nothing PPV did about 110,000 buys in case you’re wondering so it does appear as if AEW is starting off pretty well.
or Fb.com/ROHworld
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

From the Observer:

As far as PPV goes, it was a mixed bag. Traditional U.S. television PPV was down significantly from Double or Nothing, although will finish well ahead of All In. Streaming PPV in the U.S. on B/R Live was up, although we don’t know by how much. TNT did a one hour hype show at 10 p.m. the night before, but on TNT, they pushed B/R Live as the way to see it and not traditional PPV as hard, so it made sense B/R numbers would be up.

FITE TV worldwide numbers were down. The people who bought it on FITE wouldn’t have seen the hype show. Losing Omega vs. Moxley may have been the key there and with traditional PPV. But ITV PPV numbers in the U.K. were up. The impression was that they expected to end up about the same as the last show, which would be considered a success. But based on the U.S. PPV numbers, I think it’ll be down slightly, since TV PPV was down in almost every city we’ve gotten numbers from.

The only straight number we have, which is U.S. television PPV, looks to be about 28,000 buys. Double or Nothing as of a few days after was closer to 35,000 and ended up 39,000, so this should have another ten to 12 percent added to that number when all is said and done. All this together would indicate something around 100,000, which, while not up from last time, does show staying power which was the big question. It’s still above what any company other than WWE/F and WCW ever did, and many of those companies had weekly television on strong stations. It also beat most of the WCW shows at the end.

On both television PPV and B/R, 46 percent of those ordering had ordered Double or Nothing. That means 54 percent didn’t. Does that mean they made new fans after the first show? Does it mean people picked and chose and some didn’t want to buy the first, and others didn’t want to buy this one? If that’s the case, then the hardcore audience willing to spend money for the product right now as far as PPV goes is much larger than we anticipated. But it’s also an audience less apt to buy every one. But the number of new orders, as well as non-repeating orders, to me, were both surprisingly high. So if there is a lesson from the number, that would be it. But everything changes next month.
or Fb.com/ROHworld
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

PWInsider is reporting that AEW recently applied for the a trademark for 'All Elite Wrestling: Dynamite'. This could be the title of their TNT series.
or Fb.com/ROHworld
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Why are they so dead set on calling the show "Dynamite?" I just don't like it.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

It says Dynamite is made by TNT ?
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

And the name is reminiscent of WCW Nitro.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Statement from Cody Rhodes:

We're eight days out from the most significant night in wrestling in my lifetime. I just wanted to share these thoughts with our incredible fans, whose unbridled passion and support have led us to this moment.

This raging fire within wrestling today ignited long before I hit the independent scene. There was the hot ticket and style of PWG, Colt Cabana building a brand for himself without reliance of a large corporate backer, the narrative "pipebomb" promo that spoke heavy truths into our business, The Young Bucks creating a vlog to connect deeper with fans, and much more.

After an 11-yeat stint at WWE, there was that fateful bet that I couldn't promote a show, which ultimately drew 10,000+ fans at "All In" a year ago. My stubborn ability to believe that I could expand my work-rate even further and forge powerful connections across the barricade were also driving forces in my life. And, of course, there was Tony Khan, the lifelong wrestling fan who wanted to invest his business acumen, passion and sphere of influence with four guys aspiring to create an alternative product.

All these cumulative factors would still not have gotten us to today without the largest and loudest factor of all: pro wrestling fans. This includes the growing number, and often shadow market, of fans who for some reason or another felt disillusioned by the current product and went searching for the alternative that truly spoke to them.

My gratitude is extended in anticipation for AEW: Dynamite, but even if Wednesday October 2, was the first and only AEW show, what has happened now in wrestling cannot be undone. Wrestlers now have a chance for better pay and a healthier schedule, and the doors have been opened wider to a wrestling show more congruent with the diversity of our current society. This isn't because of AEW. It's because of you, the fans -- from diehard to brand new. And, the changes in wrestling aren't exclusive to AEW. This progress can now permeate all promotions.

I would ask you this one favor as we move forward: speak to me. John Cena once told me that when fans clap their hands or stomp their feet or give a visceral indicator that they want something, you need to DO something. Otherwise, they will stop making noise. Please share your feedback with me. I want all of it. Good, bad, ugly. What we did right, what we did wrong, and why. Let me help create and tailor a product for you.

In 2015 when I unexpectedly lost my Dad, I was very broken. I sought comfort in my friends and family, but what I think helped me most were the bright lights and ferocious passion of our fans. Perhaps to an outsider this may sound melodramatic, but it truly "fixed" me in ways that are impossible to describe. The accusation that pro wrestling is artificial has never phased me because I know the feeling of a family enjoying a show, the raucous laughter of fans, the collective gasps when we test the limits of our bodies, and the overall escape we provide as an industry. There's nothing artificial about that. It's a damn important service.

I've had the best education one could ever receive for this job. A pro since age 15. Eleven years under the learning tree of such minds as Randy Orton, Vince McMahon, Arn Anderson, Dean Malenko, and countless other legends. And, of course, three decades I spent talking wrestling every day with The American Dream himself.

I know what's on the other side of the hill. A billion-dollar publicly traded behemoth with 70 years of experience and an expansive network of divisions and subsidiaries, which has ultimately become a monopoly in wrestling.

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous. I'm a little scared, too. But I'm saddling up in DC anyway along with the best partners and wrestlers on the planet. I'm with AEW because AEW is for everybody, and I hope everybody tunes in and gives us a chance to shine for you.

Thank you!
or Fb.com/ROHworld
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Cody, in responding to a fan on Twitter, stated that All Elite Wrestling Dynamite will be rated TV-14. WWE TV programming in recent years has been under the TV-PG umbrella.
or Fb.com/ROHworld
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Hangman Page and Pac will go one-on-one on Oct. 2 when AEW Dynamite premieres on TNT.
or Fb.com/ROHworld