AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
Mike Adamle

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by Mike Adamle »

Incredible show last night. I remember after G1 Supercard there was all this negative buzz about ROH after the Enzo and Cass debacle. Only hearing positive buzz from this show. ROH really needs to step it up now.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I watched the show last night. I really enjoyed the Cody/Dustin, possibly Cody's best singles match which is usually match I don't care for. My only complaint was Cody spending most of the match trying to cheat to win and then they embrace and agree to tag together at the next show. It just felt like mixed messages to me. I also loved the Young Bucks vs. Lucha Brothers match. Excellent crazy action. I didn't love Matt Jackson being able to hold his opponent after getting his arm broken but at least he was trying to sell the arm injury while doing so.

I didn't care much for Omega/Jericho. It wasn't bad, it just didn't do anything to suck me in and get me emotionally involved. The Moxley debut afterwards while exciting was an example of something that I felt for a lot of the show. It felt like a WWE show from production to some of the undercard matches. I won't harp on it too much because it's their first show but it's not a feeling I want to have when watching another wrestling show. When I say WWE feeling I mean the camera work, the announcers talking over each other amongst a few other things.

Overall the best compliment I can give was I was never bored and never checked the time to see how long until it was over. I'm going to keep watching as I'm interested to see who wins their World Title, Chris Jericho coming off eating a Rainmaker and losing in Japan (no way he beats Okada) or Hangman Page which would just be well.....weird.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

I thought Excalibur and Jim Ross did a hell of a job on commentary. They need to move Alex Marvez to a backstage interview role or something. I can see he has value, but that value is not at the announce table. J.R. and Excalibur seemed to have good chemistry especially for their first show together.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Excalibur and Marvez voices sounded the same to me to the point I couldn't tell who was talking. Moving Marvez would help that issue.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

I thought the show was great, but I wish I could've enjoyed it more. A long line to get in (stretching out the MGM Grand, out to Koval Lane), followed by being told three different places to get my ticket at Will Call, and having a seat in the very, very back of the Arena. And another long line at the concession stand -- how hard is it to order a hot dog and soda? Plus I was sleep deprived from all the wrestling events in town. But dammit, I got to see history.

I know old-school fans who didn't like Guevara-Sabian or Bucks-Luchas, but I enjoy those matches in a "Mad Max: Fury Road" way.

Nobody was surprised that Moxley was there, especially since he lives in Las Vegas, but Awesome Kong was an unexpected delight.

Of the Japanese wrestlers, I'm really just familiar with CIMA and Aja Kong, but they were all great.

It's been a long time since I've the Super Smash Brothers, and I know I was't the only one in the audience who was confused when they appeared.

If Cody isn't as exciting as Omega or the Jacksons, then he makes up for it in storytelling; working with his older brother, who is still great, doesn't hurt. An epic drama, match of the night. And I loved seeing blood in a match. I don't think AEW needs to recreate ECW or the Attiude Era -- we don't need juice very night, and certainly not gratuitous language or T&A -- but when done appropriately and sparingly, a crimson mask can add a lot.

I didn't enjoy Omega-Jericho II as much as the first one. For all their heat going in, they kept the match inside of the ring, Props to Kenny for going 20 minutes with a broken nose.

And as a final cool addendum, Chris Jericho and his family were in my restaurant the next evening. I didn't bother him too much, must remain professional on the job, but he was a cool dude. And his server said he tipped 23%.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Watched the show and here's my thoughts.

Overall it was a good-very good show. (Not amazing, incredible, or even great imo)

I thought Cody vs Dustin wasn't nearly as good as people were making it out to be. Dustin bled a ton, but to me that's more of a turn off when it's that excessive, assuming it's not a blood feud. Others were rating this a 4.5 stars with great pyschology, but i didn't see it/get it. Yeah, the two brothers were fighting, and Dustin looked in good shape, but i had it at 3.75. The crowd was super into it, but i didn't see that great of a match in terms of wrestling. (again just my opinion) I also was not a fan of Cody smashing the throne, as it looked lame, and also did not like the post match after he has this blood match with Dustin, he needs a tag partner. Didn't seem to fit post match, after the blood and all. Glad they cleaned the ring up.

My favorite match by far was Bucks vs. Lucha Bros. Not the first time we've seen these teams, but i thought they had an outstanding match, with way more psychology than Cody/Dustin. The bucks were rusty/with injuries, etc. I had this match as MOTN and 4.5-4.75 stars. (Normally i'm not a fan of super flippy stuff too)

Jericho vs. Omega was a bit of a let down , like other said, Solid match, just not like their NJPW match, nor could it follow Bucks/Luchas Bros. AEW landing Moxley was huge. Surprised Omega lost, but makes sense to heavily use Jericho right now. Didn't think they/him did a good job of being showcased as a mega star. 3.5

Commentary team and production was good i thought. Especially for a first show.

Best Friends vs. Evans/Angelico - I thought this was really good. Evans and Angelico will likely be a big part of AEW i think. LIked the super smash bros stuff, BUT i think there's a reason why you save these types of things for a major team/wrestler. 3.5+

The AEW title presentation was lame. Cool they had Bret Hart, but lame it was so distracted by other things.

Didn't watch the womens matches, but assume they were good.

SCU vs OWE was good. Not 4 stars like one review i saw, but this was a very good opener. 3.5

Kip vs. Sammy... too spotty for me, but it was fine 3 stars.

Battle Royal - It was alright, but didn't love how instead of Page/Pac they just threw him in the battle royal. LIke i said before i was most looking forward to Page/Pac and basically it just got scrapped. Luckily Dustin and Cody over delivered. I didn't mind the new style battle royal, but wasn't better than G1 or All in.

Overall i'd rate it a 8/10. AEW is heading in the right direction, and have all the hype and momentum right now. It will be interesting to see them use "leagues/stats/Wins/losses" in the future. No bad matches. Didn't think the show was as good as most others who watched, but i also liked G1 Supercard better. Different strokes for different folks.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Interesting show tonight....Felt more like "entertainment" than "wrestling" but that's not always a bad thing.

Private Party vs. Best Friends vs. SCU. :3.5 - Fun opener , PP impressed. Good signing.

Levi/Allie: 1.5 - Bad

Nakazawa vs. Jebaily 1.0 - Probably the worst match i've seen this year... or recent memory. Moderately amusing, but the one dude should have never been in the ring.

Daniels vs. Cima: 3.0

Triple Threat Women: Didn't watch

Page vs. MJF vs. Havok vs. Jungle Boy - 3.5 Good stuff

Cody vs. Allin: 3.25 - These guys didn't mesh that well for me. Cody just doesn't do good in these matches.

Bucks/Omega vs. Lucha Bros + Laredo kid - 4.25 - Match of the night These guys are the highlight of AEW to me. This wold have been a good time for the Lucha Bros to get a W in AEW.

Mox vs. Janela -3.75-4.0 - Don't get me wrong, this was an insane brawl... but zero build to this. No story, just a wild stunt ride. I'm all for adding in some hardcore... but this was quite a bit overboard, and it didn't feel like they were in a fight/match. Felt they were more focused on the spots...which took me out a bit.

Overall - 7.5 , Certainly some duds, but the good out shined the bad. (which was the opposite for ROH) Plus this was a free show. The unsanctioned match felt really out of place, but i also enjoy variety in wrestling.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Haven't watched the whole show yet :

SCU vs. PP vs. BF - ***1/2
Perfect way to introduce PP as a team to keep an eye on in the future. The match was also a good mix of old school and modern action.

Bates vs. Allie - *
Allie should be a heel and basically turns back into "Cherry Bomb, the alpha bitch of WSU a few years ago" as soon as the bell rings. Bates should be a face because she sucks, but is good enough to be demolished and sell. This librarian shit needs to die as soon as possible.

Nakazawa vs. Jebailey - *
That was unoffensive I guess, but that german suplex was horrendous.

Daniels vs. CIMA - **1/2
Two veterans in house show mode having a perfectly acceptable match.

Riho vs. Nyla Rose vs. Yuka Sakazaki - ***
Oh hey, they actually let the big monster heel be exactly that here. Liked the finish. Also, if AEW is so desperate to find their Bayley, her name is Yuka Sakazaki. Not Kylie Rae and her demented smile, or Allie and her in-ring alter-ego.

4-way - ***
It's pretty telling that the only two guys who looked like stars here were MJF and Page. Boy might be in a tag team with Luchasaurus while Havoc will be in the freakshow division with Janela and I guess Moxley.

Allin vs. Cody - *
Hated it. Commentary was acting like Allin was surviving a Braun Strowman squash, but it was Cody and his slow, plodding offense instead. Also this Allin guy takes the stupidest bumps for almost no reason.

I stopped for now at that ridiculous unprotected chair shot. Don't care if the chair was gimmicked, just don't do that.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Montana

Post by Montana »

For those keeping count, of how many ROH employee's have went to AEW i compiled a list:

Full Time/Contracted:
Cody Rhodes, Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson, Adam Page, Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, Scorpo Sky, Trent Baretta, Chuck Taylor, QT Marshall, Paul Turner, Brandi Rhodes, BJ Whitmore,

Part Time/ per appearance deals
Brit Baker, Luchasaraus, Kenny Omega

Former ROH
Jerry Lynn, Jack Evans, Super Smash Bros, Kip Sabian, awesome Kong, Bryce Remsburg

So that's 13 full time plus 3 part time if you count them. Another 7 former employee's. Imagine a few more could depart as well as the year goes on. Don't think the former employee's should count, but for fun we'll just call it 16 with full/part time.

We will see the total reach over 20 in the first year?!?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

You forgot the most important of them all : P-Dogg.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Good point....

So Jericho and 2 mystery partners vs Omega and the bucks at aew’s First tv show.

Thoughts/guesses/???

The only tag team that’s out there with a name is Enzo and Cass... which might work as heels. If they singles wrestlers could be someone like marty scurll, and someone else. Other than that, I have no clue. Don’t think they bring in punk like that. Imagine it’s a moderately big name, as you don’t want your first show surprised as a let down.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Said it on the Blog of Doom, but Steen's Irrelevant Friends most likely.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Thelone wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:21 pm Said it on the Blog of Doom, but Steen's Irrelevant Friends most likely.
Who's Steen's irrelevant friends??
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Dark Order/Super Smash Brothers.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Oh gotcha... from the current roster that would make sense.... but i really don't see them hyping this up as a big mystery, only to have a major let down of Super Smash Bros. I have to imagine they would want a big name/names to get people talking about AEW, similar to Moxley. Now this will be tough, as AEW only has access to free agents, unless they strike a major partnership.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Might be LAX?
Montana

Post by Montana »

Hmm, i could see it being LAX. Would be a way they could bring them in and feud with the Bucks.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

PAC & Scurll
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I have one (1) ticket for All Out to dump. The ticket is readily available in PDF form.

Price: $200
Section: Upper 218
Row 4, Seat 9

The seat has full view of the ring and limited view of the stage.

Price comparison:

Currently, the lowest priced tickets on StubHub are in the same section for $165 each before fees. This is for a group of 4 tickets that totals $821.80 after fees.

The lowest priced individual ticket is going for $189.69 before fees, and then $235.82 after fees.
Montana

Post by Montana »

All Out = Dean Ambrose....

For those that don't know, Ambrose is out for the PPV with a staph infection. AEW has announced PAC as his replacement. I will say i do think Pac and Omega is the better match, and feels like it should be the ME (or turn Jericho/Page into a 4 way. AEW has had some bad luck.