AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
BurningHammer

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by BurningHammer »

MLW contracts aren't that restrictive, they are able to work on 99% of any streaming wrestling promotion, accoring to Court anyway so I don't think announcing him as a member would hurt that much. The same for Janella really, also they may only be one year contracts so they wont have long to run probably.

That being said they are friendly with Court so again it makes sense.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Jericho is a pretty big deal...The OWE talent is a nice pairing as well. Overall , pretty good start.

Interesting no Kenny Omega though. Excited to see how all the pieces fit together with this promotion, BUT feel bad for ROH. Weather you think ROH screwed up or the Elite pulled one over it's not good for ROH or NJPW. Ironically i feel think AEW will force wwe to be a better product, and ultimately hurt ROH & NJPW's growth for the time being.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Montana wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:23 pm Jericho is a pretty big deal...The OWE talent is a nice pairing as well. Overall , pretty good start.

Interesting no Kenny Omega though. Excited to see how all the pieces fit together with this promotion, BUT feel bad for ROH. Weather you think ROH screwed up or the Elite pulled one over it's not good for ROH or NJPW. Ironically i feel think AEW will force wwe to be a better product, and ultimately hurt ROH & NJPW's growth for the time being.
I doubt Kenny can officially be announced until after January 31st.

Announcing the Strong Hearts is a good get.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Sounds right... I thought omegas deal was done after WK but sounds like 31 Jan. Also njpw could switch up to aew down the road and potentially leave Roh behind.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Statements from Tony and Shad Kahn we got emailed earlier this morning.

SHAD KHAN STATEMENT ON AEW

I am the lead investor, a supporter and a backer of All Elite Wrestling, and I anticipate great things today and into the future for AEW and everyone who has worked passionately on this week’s launch. I know AEW will be welcomed by wrestling fans here in the U.S. and throughout the world who are ready for something new and authentic. AEW will work hard to deliver on that promise.

As important, I am the father – the proud father – of Tony Khan, who will serve in a leadership role at AEW during the 2019 launch and in the years ahead. Tony will assemble a great team to take AEW over the top, for the benefit of everyone who loves the wrestling industry, while continuing to serve in his current capacities with the Jaguars and Fulham.

AEW will operate as an organization completely independently from my other interests. It will not deter attention or divert resources from any of my businesses, teams, projects or investments. At the same time, AEW will enjoy the same full commitment I given to everything and everyone in my life – my family and friends, my business and, in recent years, to sports, hospitality and now entertainment.

TONY KHAN STATEMENT ON AEW

Wrestling fans are a community unlike most others. I’ve been a part of this community since I was 7 years old, and I can tell you that wresting fans see the world every day through a special lens. We see wrestling in Hollywood films and tv shows, we see elements of wrestling in the presentation of sports and in the marketing of grandiose star athletes, and we certainly see wrestling in politics.

The wrestling community is a constant; its members are diverse, we are physically located on all corners of the planet, yet we are constantly connected. Recently, a new family has formed, bonded by love and respect for wresting but armed with a vision and resources that have never before been available to the wrestling community. Our objective is to connect our community closer than ever before through All Elite Wrestling, or AEW.

AEW does not mean any less of a continued commitment to existing obligations and duties that I have, or my family has, to our business and sports interests. That will never be the case. What’s important is that every individual decision we make as family, whether it’s ownership or investment in a team or property, is 100 percent beneficial to those specific interests. I will always welcome that accountability and responsibility, as nothing is more important than serving our supporters and friends.

AEW will launch with a roster of the top wrestlers in the world. While they’ll clash in what will be some of the most intense and fast-paced contests ever sanctioned in the squared circle, they’ll also share a common goal: to make this the true golden age, to make this the greatest time ever to be a wrestling fan. Likewise, as a business, by treating our wrestlers with respect and warmth, we also seek to make this the golden age for the performers themselves.

I urge everyone who believes in what we’re doing, or wants to believe in dreams coming true, to support AEW by spreading the word and passing the wrestling bug onto someone else. My message: Get in on the ground floor with AEW today and help lead our movement to grow the wrestling community and ensure that the voices of the wrestling fans, their creative minds and their remarkable ideas, will always be heard.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Montana wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:28 pm Sounds right... I thought omegas deal was done after WK but sounds like 31 Jan. Also njpw could switch up to aew down the road and potentially leave Roh behind.
I guess AEW could get NJPW to dump ROH. However trust is the key in any relationship .. The AEW people are trying. to use the leverage of withholding Omega 's services into order to force ROH of of the picture .

So if AEW and Omega are basically trying to blackmail NJPW into a working agreement ..A couple of problems arise with that sort of deal.

ROH has nothing nothing to warrant such shabby treatment. ROH has been a good business partner for NJPW. ROH provides a regional TV network that allows NJPW to receive extensive free broadcast exposure. ROH has an interstructure already in place that assists NJPW in their North American expansion. Weekly TV , PPV , Streaming service and ongoing touring schedule .ROH is a solid company that still has a talented roster and a touring schedule that allows NJPW American talent to fill out their schedule and young lions to gain needed experience . ROH has it problems ( Delirious , tight budgets ), but overall the company is head and shoulders above any other American wrestling promotion not named WWE .

ROH paid Rhodes , the Bucks and Page quite well for their services. In fact Cody and the Bucks used to brag about how much money they made working for ROH . Of course ROH made ALL IN a reality . Without ROH permission , ROH talent and ROH production assistance ALL IN would still be a pipe dream .

So , ROH payback is the ELITE gets a billionaire backer to start a rival company . Well the Khan 's are business people that saw an opportunity a make money . The owe ROH , WWE , NJPW are anyone else in the space nothing.

The Elite are entitled to pursue their dreams . However they could have formed AEW and still still tried to share the space with ROH . I would not have signed any ROH talent right out the gate and I would not use the Omega factor to try to split up ROH and NJPW.

If you are New Japan do you allow the ELIte to force you to drop ROH for a limited amount of Omega appearances. I think the answer is no . NJPW has a strong brand that will continue to flourish long after Omega has hung up his boots. You got to have some honor , don't you ?

The good things that have come this promotional split is that the boys have another place that pays great , the fans have another viewing choice and an effort is being made to break McMahon's grip on the business. The only bad thing is the way this NJPW / Omega deal is playing out in public. I guess we see how it all works over the next year .
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

If AEW does get a full working relationship with Dragon Gate that could mean that NJPW isn't in their future. Dragon Gate isn't the type of company that trades talent with other Japanese companies. I believe that is part of the CIMA separation and starting OWE. NJPW and Dragon Gate may not want to share a North American partner.

At this stage what does NJPW need Omega for anyway other than to put over Tanahashi and Okada one more time? I know he is a draw still in Japan but storylinewise other than putting those two over and maybe winning tag gold with Ibushi (which the tag titles are an afterthought anyway) is there really a need to sacrifice a relationship with ROH to use him a few more times.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

NJPW keep Jay White as Omega's position now.
Devitt-AJ-Omega-Jay
Boss of BC changed, Old boss is gone.
NJPW no longer need Omega.
Montana

Post by Montana »

As mentioned earlier i have mixed feeling with AEW... but noticing a few challenges that could hurt the promotion down the road if not addressed. I'm not sure they are heading towards a crash and burn, but they'll need to figure out a way to overcome certain things...

1) Toby Khan has zero experience with running a wrestling company. Now, he hires Cody/Bucks and team to assist, but they also don't have experience running a company. I know his Dad has money , and Toby has 100 Million to jump start the company but I don't think that may go as far as people really think...especially if that want to be considered a major promotion. I don't see AEW averaging attendance greater than 10K this year. higher cost / lighter schedule = harder to recover cost.

2) Cody/Bucks as Vice presidents... again no experience in this area, and it was very clear... they wanted to "take care of the boys" They talked a good game, health care, lighter schedule, etc and they were/are still attracting talent, but when running a company you need to balance between running the company and taking care of the boys. Hopefully they don't just misuse the Khan's financial resourcing. It's like if you win the lotto... you can't go crazy spending money, bc the well will go dry if your not replenishing it. I think Bucks are great at marketing/promoting... and Cody seems to have a good vision. Bucks as bookers... we'll have to wait and see. The other thing is MGM grand is not a cheap venue. I assume AEW will run 15 shows this year. Basically 3 (may / july / Sept ) then start weekly taping OCT/NOV/DEC. I'm sure the Khan family can take a loss this year...but why throw money away this early on a venue. I'm pretty sure WWE has figured things out by now and if they don't run that venue, dont see why AEW should.

3) Brandi has Chief Brand Officer... that a made up role? I'm sure she can add value to the staff in the right position, but we know why shes in that role.

4) Medical insurance & Equal pay statements.... seems like they had some statements that needed to be clarified in terms of insurance and equal pay. I know it's very early in the company, but I think that's just some of the inexperience showing.

5) Future of Being the Elite... Think it's a great way to promote/webshow... but sounds like they'll be busy running the company.

6) Breaks in between shows for now. Will there be any ring rust in May? Some of these guys will go from wrestling weekly, to a 5 month break.

7) Elite vs. Bullet Club... Specifically in terms of merchandise. I know the bullet club shirts sold extremely well.. i'm not sure how well the Elite/AEW stuff is moving.

8) Indy vs. Major Leagues.... Looks like they will try and balance the two sides..maybe it could work. maybe not.

9) Top heavy... Who's getting the belt, Cody, Pac, Jericho, Page... If Omega joins, does he get it.

10) Momentum... They gotta keep momentum going and the next 6-9 months will be interesting.

Strengths:
1) Jericho
2) Buzz
3) $$$
4) Potential good TV deal

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but i think there could be struggles early on. They've got some good strengths, and seem to be getting the right talent (for whats available). Think they will need to figure out how NOT to be TNA 2.0. TNA had a TON of talent, good TV spot, and didn't pull it together. WWE isn't going to roll over either. I fully expect this to be a war between the wrestling landscape. Hope the Khan's are ready.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Montana wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:15 pm As mentioned earlier i have mixed feeling with AEW... but noticing a few challenges that could hurt the promotion down the road if not addressed. I'm not sure they are heading towards a crash and burn, but they'll need to figure out a way to overcome certain things...

1) Toby Khan has zero experience with running a wrestling company. Now, he hires Cody/Bucks and team to assist, but they also don't have experience running a company. I know his Dad has money , and Toby has 100 Million to jump start the company but I don't think that may go as far as people really think...especially if that want to be considered a major promotion. I don't see AEW averaging attendance greater than 10K this year. higher cost / lighter schedule = harder to recover cost.

2) Cody/Bucks as Vice presidents... again no experience in this area, and it was very clear... they wanted to "take care of the boys" They talked a good game, health care, lighter schedule, etc and they were/are still attracting talent, but when running a company you need to balance between running the company and taking care of the boys. Hopefully they don't just misuse the Khan's financial resourcing. It's like if you win the lotto... you can't go crazy spending money, bc the well will go dry if your not replenishing it. I think Bucks are great at marketing/promoting... and Cody seems to have a good vision. Bucks as bookers... we'll have to wait and see. The other thing is MGM grand is not a cheap venue. I assume AEW will run 15 shows this year. Basically 3 (may / july / Sept ) then start weekly taping OCT/NOV/DEC. I'm sure the Khan family can take a loss this year...but why throw money away this early on a venue. I'm pretty sure WWE has figured things out by now and if they don't run that venue, dont see why AEW should.

3) Brandi has Chief Brand Officer... that a made up role? I'm sure she can add value to the staff in the right position, but we know why shes in that role.

4) Medical insurance & Equal pay statements.... seems like they had some statements that needed to be clarified in terms of insurance and equal pay. I know it's very early in the company, but I think that's just some of the inexperience showing.

5) Future of Being the Elite... Think it's a great way to promote/webshow... but sounds like they'll be busy running the company.

6) Breaks in between shows for now. Will there be any ring rust in May? Some of these guys will go from wrestling weekly, to a 5 month break.

7) Elite vs. Bullet Club... Specifically in terms of merchandise. I know the bullet club shirts sold extremely well.. i'm not sure how well the Elite/AEW stuff is moving.

8) Indy vs. Major Leagues.... Looks like they will try and balance the two sides..maybe it could work. maybe not.

9) Top heavy... Who's getting the belt, Cody, Pac, Jericho, Page... If Omega joins, does he get it.

10) Momentum... They gotta keep momentum going and the next 6-9 months will be interesting.

Strengths:
1) Jericho
2) Buzz
3) $$$
4) Potential good TV deal

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but i think there could be struggles early on. They've got some good strengths, and seem to be getting the right talent (for whats available). Think they will need to figure out how NOT to be TNA 2.0. TNA had a TON of talent, good TV spot, and didn't pull it together. WWE isn't going to roll over either. I fully expect this to be a war between the wrestling landscape. Hope the Khan's are ready.
I agree with all of this.

Other concerns?

1) How about booking? There is no way that anyone can convince me that there can be a storyline depicting dissension between the Bucks, Cody, and Page. This is a problem with BTE. Lifting the curtain and showing behind the scenes activities with these guys has nullified any in-house friction.

2) Matt Jackson. Is it me or has he slowed down considerably over the past 2 years? The pressure is going to be on to deliver even more and I would argue losing Matt Jackson to an injury would be more devastating than anyone they have. With very little to work with on the tag team scene and no announcements on the horizon, this could be a crack in the foundation from almost the get go.

3) The title scene. Who gets the main title? Omega? Cody? Page? Pac? How long before friction occurs over booking in the top slot? Sometimes the best laid plans go to waste. Cody has to look no further than Dusty himself for this Aesop's fable. In the '80's when Big Dust was booking the NWA and Flair was champion, Dusty did everything he could to undermine Ric as champion. Cody will never be over as much as Kenny. Can he bite the bullet and do what his father couldn't and put the promotion first before ego?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I do think Brandi's degree is in business and has worked in branding prior to being in WWE.

AEW shirts on PWT's are supposedly selling very well if you believe PWT's social media.

I absolutely agree with all the other issues. Unless they are getting some ridiculous tv deal that basically guarantees profits, I don't know how this plan works. I don't doubt they may be able to land a strong tv deal. Sports and live action entertainment are hot in demand on tv, hence WWE's record deal with Fox for a show that is hemorrhaging viewers. The thing the I wonder about if they do land such a deal is how many people are they really going to get to watch. The wrestling fan base is shrinking. Raw gets 3 million viewers on a good day. Can AEW draw 1 million? I'm not so sure they can on a consistent basis. Landing a big tv contract is one thing but keeping it is another. That's a lot of faith in Chris Jericho will draw in WWE-centric fans to watch.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

It's good to be Pentagon and Fenix.

They just signed non-exclusive deals with AEW to go along with their non-exclusive Impact and MLW deals, their per-appearance arrangements with AAA and CMLL, and their original Lucha Underground deals.

Collecting paychecks from 6 of the top 8 promotions in North America ain't bad.

Luchablog said that they are likely to become AEW exclusive if Lucha Underground is not renewed for season 5.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Just a hunch... but i think AEW will get a deal with Turner, but it will be with TruTV and not TNT/TBS. TNT won't work for Tuesday, and don't think they want sports on a majority of the week. TBS is the opposite, with family friendly programing. Wrestling doesn't fit well there. But what does fit, is TruTv that basically plays reruns of Impactical Jokes Tuesday Prime time. Since AEW doesn't have "millions" of fans yet, i could see Turner giving them a shot, and if the ratings are there, they could move them to a bigger network.

Or once turner brings it to the advertisers, no one wants to advertise on a brand new wrestling program... and they just can the idea. But i think TruTv makes the most sense. Kind of a win-win if it comes to be.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

TBS is Family Friendly programming? This is the channel that has a three hour block of Family Guy reruns on weeknights
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

All In just didn't cut it for me, but this Double or Nothing card looks great. I might have to give them another chance. Really intrigued in Cody vs. DUSTIN.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Seems alright. I gotta imagine they are still working on bringing some more star power in. The top 3 matches are good, expect we've seen the top 2 matches multiple times before. Page vs Pac is what i'm most excited for, hopefully it delivers. I'd say AEW is going to need some more heels, other than Jericho.

Here's the card:

Kenny Omega vs. Chris Jericho

AAA World Tag Team Championship
The Young Bucks (c) vs. Pentagon Jr. (AAA World Tag Team Championship)

"Hangman" Adam Page vs. PAC

SCU (Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, and Scorpio Sky) vs. CIMA and two OWE partners

Britt Baker vs. Nyla Rose vs. Kylie Rae

Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes

Over Budget Battle Royal
Sonny Kiss, Kip Sabian, Brandon Cutler, Ace Romero, Brian Pillman Jr., Glacier, Sunny Daze, MJF, Joey Janela, TBA
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Sinclair is buying the Fox regional sports networks from Disney . They also have the NYC based YES network( NY Yankees ) and are creating the Chicago based Marquee with the Cubs . All while continuing to own over 100 local stations. I don't see NJPW and CMLL walking away from potential exposure over those platforms. If anything Tony Khan should try to forge some type of partnership with SBGI .. SBGI should really just own ROH and have partner NJPW handle the creative aspects of the business .
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I definitely see Roh growing their exposure in the states in the next year by a lot
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

The interview with Tony Khan did nothing for my anticipation for AEW in fact in turned me away, he just came off as complete Mark and said what anyone would that wants to hit the right choice, I mean really, choosing Flair vs Steamboat he works from such a simple script.

You also have such varying degree on how he sees the promotion, it feels very convoluted from every angle.

Cody and the Bucks really have found their sugar daddy and one who seemingly is going to get taken for a long ride.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Anyone watching? I saw the pre-show and was a bit underwhelmed. Page winning would be a good choice, had they not heavily advertise him in a main event level match with pac. I was actually most excited for that match. Other than that, typical Indy battle royal. Sammy vs Kip was a solid 3 star spot fest.

I also find it surprising how the aew fans seem to like Luchasauraus, but yet he was garbage in Roh?!? Go figure