THE DRAMA CONTINUES!!!

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
supersonic

THE DRAMA CONTINUES!!!

Post by supersonic »

This first one may have first been shared by Fightful Select (can't confirm due to lack of subscription.)

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/eddi ... my-guevara
Eddie Kingston has recently completed a suspension from AEW.

Dave Meltzer is reporting that Kingston was secretly suspended from AEW a few weeks ago after getting into a verbal dispute with Sammy Guevara. The suspension is already over.

Guevara and Kingston have been feuding since Guevara helped Chris Jericho defeat Kingston on the July 20 edition of Rampage. On the August 3 edition of AEW Dynamite, Kingston interrupted a Sammy Guevara/Tay Melo video package to say that he got a contract for a match at All Out between himself and Guevara and told Guevara to sign the contract.

At the August 10 AEW Rampage tapings, Guevara accepted the challenge for All Out. Kingston appeared on the video screen and said he was going to do what Guevara and Melo did, take a vacation. Ruby Soho and Ortiz then appeared, saying they would get Guevara and Melo. However, Guevara’s acceptance of the match and Kingston’s promo never made television, and no reference to the match has been made since.

Guevara and Melo will be on this Friday’s Rampage, defending the AAA Mixed Tag Team titles against Ortiz and Ruby Soho.
DougN

Re: THE DRAMA CONTINUES!!!

Post by DougN »

Thank you for not starting this with "this is the moment I've been waiting for."

I was originally on Sammy's side of the story. Eddie has been called fat in plenty of promos before so it's unfair for him to take umbrage this time, unless there's a lot more to the story. BUT, Sammy went out of his way to bury Eddie to Fightful today which means either:

- Sammy is a complete and utter POS

OR

- AEW is going too wild with "turning heat into works." It's veering into WCW territory. It will still take a lot for them to get there, but it's definitely inching there with this, the Punk-Hangman shit, the Thunder sandbagging t-shirt, and other shit.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Oh I love all this drama after what’s largely been a creatively ho-him summer. That wouldn’t be the case if this was when it used to better, which was just 6-9 months ago. Some kind of spice was needed, and I’ll take tabloid toxicity to do just that.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

I'll call BS on this Thunder Rosa stuff. She was in a trios tag on the Dark taping for Quake by the Lake where she never tagged in, which was weird at the time, but would make sense if she's injured. Also, this stuff w/ Hayter isn't plausible. Thunder Rosa, a professional wrestler, is worried about someone beating her up? Also, when was the last time there was a fight backstage in major company - JBL / Joey Styles? I'm sure Hayter wasn't happy about having her nose broken, but, best case scenario, she's suspended and de-pushed for physically assaulting someone, or worse (and perhaps more likely in AEW) fired and unlikely to get picked up by wwe.

The Thunder / Britt stuff feels like Tony leaning hard into worked-shoots. Britt's constantly dropping these insider-y lines, but they're pre-tapes. If there was a legit issue, I don't think that stuff would air.

I don't doubt AEW has inter-personal problems, but these stories that come out make no sense. You're going to fake an injury at a time when your company is under the microscope for its concerningly high injury rate, disrupt your ongoing storylines, and create a second title belt because two of your employees aren't getting along? Come on. This is as bad as the story about Gresham saying his PWI ranking justifies a push.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

DougN wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:58 pm - AEW is going too wild with "turning heat into works." It's veering into WCW territory. It will still take a lot for them to get there, but it's definitely inching there with this, the Punk-Hangman shit, the Thunder sandbagging t-shirt, and other shit.
Agree w/ this 100%. One would hope that Tony understands that a tiny, tiny minority of fans read the dirtsheets and understand some of the comments on the show. There are probably more fans aware of backstage stuff now then, say, when Bischoff was saying "Sid where are your scissors?" on Nitro, but it must be less than 5%. Castor's line in his rap about the talent meeting was met w/ a very noticeable silence last week.

I can see the appeal of trying these work-shoots, because you can tell stories at multiple levels and it can be exciting, but they're hard to do in a way that you don't confuse the non-IWC fans and when they're bad, it's cringe-inducing.

Does seem like that's the current direction though. Given that the Bucks and Kenny have a history of blending this sort of thing into their storylines, I could see them pitching it as something different to change the business, but I'm not sure you can or should do it as often as AEW does.
DougN

Post by DougN »

One would hope that Tony understands that a tiny, tiny minority of fans read the dirtsheets and understand some of the comments on the show.
I don't buy this. People say it constantly so I'm not trying to shut you down personally, but AEW's fanbase itself is largely based on people who consume wrestling via recommendations, i.e. the internet. Gun to my head, I'd say 80% of AEW's audience probably reads the dirtsheets OR (and this an important distinction) sites that are regurgitating the dirtsheets. It's not even about "reading the dirtsheets" anymore -- all you have to do is have a Twitter, follow a few wrestling fans, and you're getting that stuff in your timeline.

I'll give you that the talent meeting didn't get a pop like other Castor stuff, but it's also not like he said anything scandalous. It was literally just a line.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/aews ... es-injured
New interim AEW Women's World Champion Toni Storm has commented on Thunder Rosa's back injury.

Speaking at the post-All Out media scrum, Storm said that her interim tag is "not ideal" and that Rosa "can come back and lose to me" after she heals.

Storm said:

"I mean, it's not ideal. But Thunder Rosa says she's injured. Okay. So when she say's she's not injured, she can come back and lose to me, and that will be the end of that."

Taken at face value, Storm's comments feed into the perception that Rosa's injury may not be legitimate, although Rosa will reportedly be out of action for "a few months" and adamant that her injury is not "fake." AEW's media scrums are often a mix of worked and shoot comments, so Storm's remarks could also simply be building a storyline for their match when Rosa returns.
https://wrestletalk.com/news/swerve-in- ... out-scrum/
After an incredibly feisty chat with CM Punk to kick off the AEW All Out media scrum, the AEW tag team champions joined the fray and things continued to simmer.

After questions from the media regarding why “an audible” wasn’t called in the setting of the crowd being so very passionate about The Acclaimed winning the match, Tony Khan mentioned that The Acclaimed just became the most winningest tag team in AEW history.

Keith Lee sharing his thoughts on social media, saying:

“I’m going to be honest with you, social media is very much beneath me. It is rare that I read it… because I don’t give a damn.”

After Tony Khan suggested perhaps Swerve in Our Glory should have a rematch with The Acclaimed at AEW Grand Slam, there was a strong reaction from both Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland.