June 2022: AEW's month of hell

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
supersonic

June 2022: AEW's month of hell

Post by supersonic »

After a much-deserved, poorly-received week of haphazard creative direction in response to CM Punk's injury, the following is all coming out in the past few days.

https://www.sescoops.com/news/possible-backstage-heat-thunder-rosa/
Thunder Rosa may have made herself some enemies and we’re not talking storylines.

Rosa is the reigning AEW Women’s Champion. Some haven’t been impressed by her title reign thus far. She had a well-received title defense against Serena Deeb at Double or Nothing but the build was lackluster.

She then had a match with Marina Shafir, which wasn’t very good but some have pinned the blame on Rosa for deliberately sabotaging the performance of her opponent.

Twitter user @ericinsarasota, who happens to be Erick Stevens, a former ROH star, recently shared two interesting tweets on the Thunder Rosa vs. Marina Shafir match from the June 8 episode of Dynamite. The user believes that Rosa was blatantly “sandbagging” her opponent, making Shafir look weak in the process.

https://twitter.com/ericinsarasota/stat ... 8277227521
It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a match where somebody so obviously tried to make themselves look better than their opponent by sandbagging and no selling, but I just saw a perfect example of it on Dynamite.

It might just look like a bad match to the untrained eye but it’s pretty clear when somebody doesn’t want to play ball. Which sucks because it just makes you and your opponent look bad.
One might think the tweets are from someone sharing a wild theory but there could be something to this.

Britt Baker, the biggest female star on the AEW roster, actually ended up liking the first tweet, while Marina Shafir liked both.

This isn’t the first time Thunder Rosa has had an incident in the ring with her opponent. Back in Sept. 2020, she had a match with Ivelisse that went off the rails. Ivelisse told Chris Van Vliet that Rosa forgot her spots and the match ended up turning into a shoot.
Andrade el Idolo Says He Can’t Work With NJPW, Konnan Comments
In a post on Twitter, AEW wrestler Andrade el Idolo commented that he cannot work with New Japan Pro Wrestling, hinting that he may not be involved with Forbidden Door this month.

He wrote: “I can’t work with NJPW, thanks CMLL and AAA.”

Konnan, the head booker for AAA, responded: “We have nothing to do with NJ or CMLL arcane decisions.”

The ‘arcane decisions’ Konnan is referring to could be the alleged bad blood between AAA and CMLL. It’s so bad that the company will not work with companies that even associated with CMLL. This includes NJPW, who have joint shows with the promotion in the past. Andrade has appeared for AAA in the past and AEW also works with the company. This could mean that he will not be at Forbidden Door.
Jeff Hardy arrested for DUI, ladder match no longer advertised for 6/15 Dynamite in STL - https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/aew- ... r-dynamite
The ladder match originally scheduled for this Wednesday’s Dynamite is no longer being advertised following Jeff Hardy’s DUI arrest.

AEW advertised the card for Wednesday’s Dynamite on social media today and did not include The Hardys vs. Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus vs. The Young Bucks ladder match. In today’s Daily Update, Dave Meltzer noted that AEW has asked Warner Bros. Discovery to remove all advertising featuring Hardy going forward.

“While AEW has not said anything publicly [Warner Bros. Discovery] was told to stop all promotion of Jeff Hardy in any commercials or anywhere else immediately,” he wrote. “They have stopped promoting the three-way ladder match for Wednesday and not sure if they will have a tag team title match with just the two teams or not.”

Hardy was arrested in Volusia County, Florida on Monday morning and was charged with one count of driving under the influence of drugs/alcohol, driving with a canceled/suspended/revoked/ license, and violating restrictions placed on a driver’s license. The police report stated that Hardy seemed “to be in a stupor and confused” and “smelled of alcohol". Additionally, according to the report, Hardy “could not complete any portion of sobriety exercises successfully or without risk of falling.”

Hardy’s first breath test sample read 0.294, and a second read 0.291, far above Florida’s legal driving limit of .08. Hardy posted bond and was released around 7 pm local time. He is scheduled to appear in front of a judge on June 14 at 1:30 pm.
More details about Jeff Hardy's arrest - https://www.postwrestling.com/2022/06/1 ... ui-arrest/
UPDATE: On Monday night, the Volusia County record of Hardy’s case stated he was released at 7:45 p.m. ET.

Jeff Hardy was arrested on Monday in Volusia County, Florida. POST Wrestling has learned of additional details through the police report that was filed.

Hardy was arrested by Trooper Zach Steiner in Volusia County after Florida Highway Patrol officials received calls about an impaired driver along I-95. The incident was listed as occurring around 12:30 a.m. late Sunday/early Monday.

Hardy was said to be arrested without incident and is facing three charges including driving under the influence, driver’s license restrictions, and an interlock violation from a previous DUI.

The report was filed at 11:14 a.m. ET after Trooper Zach Steiner responded to reports of a Dodge Charger swerving all over the roadway, according to the police report. (Earlier we had stated that the incident occurred at 11:14 a.m. but have corrected that error).

There were four callers that called 911 to report the vehicle and poor driving pattern. Steiner stated he caught up to the vehicle and observed it “going significantly under the speed limit, weaving across travel lanes and running off the shoulder of the roadway.”

Steiner stated in the report, “The driver did not immediately pull over and failed to pull over in a safe manner. The vehicle eventually pulled over onto the northbound outside shoulder of Interstate 95.”

Steiner went on to describe issues he had gaining the attention of the driver and noted, “The driver appeared to be in a stupor and confused. I maneuvered to the driver’s side and then issued verbal commands to place his hands on the steering wheel. The driver was compliant with this request.”

Steiner said the driver was unable to place the vehicle in park at his request before he let go of the brake and the vehicle rolled forward. The driver quickly applied the brakes and then put the vehicle in park. “I told the driver to unlock the door which he attempted to do but was also unsuccessful. I had to open the locked door prior to ordering the driver outside of the vehicle. The driver exited the vehicle without any issues.”

The report states that Hardy “reeked of an odor of an alcoholic beverage” and said that the driver had been drinking earlier in the day.

Hardy consented to a field sobriety test on the spot and it was noted that “Hardy’s performance on the exercises provided more than enough clues necessary to affect an arrest for the offense of DUI. J. Hardy displayed severe nystagmus, was unsteady on his feet, and could not complete any portion of the exercises successfully or without risk of falling.”

ESPN’s Marc Raimondi reports that Hardy is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. local time. Additionally, Raimondi notes that Hardy’s breath test registered a level of 0.294 and a second test registered 0.291 with the legal limit being 0.08 in Florida.
My addition to the Jeff Hardy situation:

AEW has opted not to be transparent and have any official policy yet for situations involving health, wellness, concussions, the pandemic, and personal conduct. WWE has written, publicly available policies for most of these situations, as does the NFL, which the Khan family is a part of as owners of the Jacksonville Jaguars franchise.

Both Brandon Thurston and I have been ghosted when asking AEW officials about some of such policies in recent months. While Thurston opted not to reveal who ghosted him, he runs the Wrestlenomics site and podcast, which was originally founded and still has occasional appearances made by AEW SVP Chris "Mookieghana" Harrington. Mr. Harrington declined to respond when I asked where AEW's personal conduct policy can be found.
DougN

Re: June 2022: AEW's month of hell

Post by DougN »

Bunch of thoughts.

The Andrade thing should not be on AEW's shoulders. It's somewhat on NJPW, but it's more just this clusterfuck around the Mexican companies. It's so stupid and has been that way for a while now. Remember when that new group was gonna pop up and CMLL and AAA together lost their mind and instantly tried to start black balling people from ROH like Taven and Lethal?

The Thunder Rosa stuff. I don't even know where to begin. I've watched that match several times now and only the suplex spot looks bad in a sandbagging way. The rest of the match just seems like they're on 2 different pages or one of them is forgetting what comes next. They did this turnbuckle spot over and over again like they forgot who is supposed to do what. It wasn’t even shooting or sandbagging – just miscommunication. The suplex spot COULD be miscommunication. Who knows? Ivelisse could be vindicated, but who knows? People are sharing the Thunder and Jade chair clip too which is an overreach, especially since Thunder was clearly angling for Jade to do the Steve Austin chair stab spot. The bottom line is Marina Shafir is pretty green and because of that, anyone accusing Thunder Rosa of sandbagging in just a generally rough match doesn’t have a strong leg to stand on. And Britt Baker has always trolled/ragged on Thunder so it’s not too surprising.

The hate on Thunder Rosa lately has been wild to witness, especially since her run as champ is not an indictment on her skill or star power. She’s either not being featured or being featured badly. It's similar to how people saying Sammy ruined the TNT title -- no, the booking ruined the TNT title and how they did such a long-drawn-out feud that people were tired of months ago. It's nothing about Sammy's role as a champion or his performance -- it's that the feud sucked and people wanted it to be over and we got like 2 more months instead. People were already groaning about the ATT-Rhodes feud and when Rhodes left, they just inserted Tay/Sammy into it…. yet also did double-turns? And then they threw Kazarian in for some reason and he’s now on Impact? It was just bad booking and a clear case of “this is what I planned to do for the first half of the year so I’m going to stick to it.”

As for Jeff Hardy, this situation really pissed me off yesterday with wrestling fans turning to tribalism. I'll get this out of the way first. AEW should not have hired Jeff Hardy without an actual transparent substance policy. It just shouldn't have happened. It was a mistake.

With that said, WWE and Vince are hardly, hardly vindicated with what just happened. And that was a very common sentiment being shared yesterday. "Oh, WWE was right all along and AEW was just greedy and didn't care." WWE famously didn't do anything about Jimmy Uso who has had the same or maybe 1 more DUI in the last 5 years than Jeff Hardy. They famously had Jimmy Uso win the tag title a week and half or two weeks after his last DUI. So there's that. But then there's also the fact that after WWE fired Jeff Hardy for refusing to go to rehab... they tried to hire him back before the non-compete ran up. There's no moral high ground there. The whole industry sucks on this issue because it's just been a revolving door since 2003 for Jeff Hardy. He may last in some places a long time, but it always ends up the same everywhere. Dude has gotten enough chances -- people need to stop hiring him or if they DO hire him, they need to be upfront with the fans about X,Y,Z of their policy.

I shouldn't be surprised that it resorted to tribalism yesterday over the news breaking, but it sucks so much when both companies are equally to blame... and others are as well. If AEW hadn't hired him, WWE would have brought him back or Impact would have picked him up. There's no doubt and WWE already tried.

With that said, I got two more things on the AEW side of things because I am critical of them. I just think the "Remember Vince fired him for refusing to go to rehab" is missing very key context and is just being propped up by guys with vendettas against AEW.

One, AEW should have announced something yesterday. At the least, they should have said he was suspended with more discipline to follow pending an investigation. Or something. Anything. They can still do it today, and they might, but it should have happened yesterday.

Two, AEW needs to take a hard look in the mirror with regards to how Jeff Hardy has been used the last month or so. He's had several taxing matches and if you look at Hardy's track record, his drinking episodes come after a heavy period of body damage. That Darby Allin match was rough for him and I'm not saying he can't do those matches, but maybe not book him in two big matches soon after it.

I am pissed that people are painting WWE as sympathetic martyrs here, but I do think AEW is not handling this as great as they should be. The goodwill with their fans is disappearing fast and they really need to do things to right the ship. There are other issues within AEW that need to be addressed, but this one is immediate and honestly, not hard.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
DougN

Re: June 2022: AEW's month of hell

Post by DougN »

Sounds like people got the timeline wrong initially and he was arrested at noon not midnight. That makes sense for why there was no statement on Monday, but also, holy shit Jeff Hardy's plastered that badly at 9:30 AM in the morning?
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.