AEW Double or Nothing 2022 - Sunday, May 29, 2022

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
supersonic

AEW Double or Nothing 2022 - Sunday, May 29, 2022

Post by supersonic »

To watch at a restaurant or movie theater, visit Joe Hand Promotions.
(Be sure if opting to view this at a movie theater, that the management knows the PPVs have been known to go longer than their previously allotted time!)

Available in the US on Bleacher Report and traditional PPV carriers, and on FITE outside the US.

The pre-show begins at 7PM EST, with the PPV beginning at 8PM EST!

Taking place at the SOLD OUT T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, NV!

The card:

Pre-Show Match
Hook & Danhausen vs. Mark Sterling & Tony Nese

Men of the Year & Paige Van Zant vs. Tay Conti, Frankie Kazarian, & Sammy Guevara

Death Triangle vs. The House of Black

TBS Title Match
Jade Cargill vs. Anna Jay

AEW Tag Titles Match
Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus vs. Swerve in Our Glory vs. Will Hobbs & Ricky Starks

Women's Owen Hart Foundation Tournament Final
Britt Baker vs. Ruby Soho

AEW Women's Title Match
Thunder Rosa vs. Serena Deeb

Darby Allin vs. Kyle O'Reilly

Young Bucks vs. The Hardys

Men's Owen Hart Foundation Tournament Final
Samoa Joe vs. Adam Cole

Anarchy in the Arena
The Jericho Appreciation Society vs. Jon Moxley, Ortiz, Santana, Eddie Kingston, & Bryan Danielson

Wardlow vs. MJF

AEW World Title Match
Adam Page vs. CM Punk
supersonic

Re: AEW Double or Nothing 2022 - Sunday, May 29, 2022

Post by supersonic »

Developing story:

https://www.postwrestling.com/2022/05/2 ... t-session/
MJF does not attend his meet & greet session at AEW Fan Fest.

As AEW inches closer to their Double or Nothing event on May 29th in Las Vegas, they held a Fan Fest event in the city on 5/28 and MJF was scheduled to partake in a photo and autograph session.

PWInsider was first to report [potential spyware warning for that link] that MJF legitimately did not attend the event and AEW was not able to get in contact with him. For those who paid for the autograph and photo session, AEW offered make-goods to them which included refunds and offering exchanges to meet other talents. F4WOnline has also independently confirmed that AEW has not been able to contact MJF.

Fightful’s Sean Ross Sapp added to the story and noted that a flight out of Las Vegas has been booked for MJF.

He is scheduled to go one-on-one with Wardlow at Double or Nothing. Wardlow took ten lashings and won a Steel Cage match against Shawn Spears in order for the match to be made official.

MJF has stated in multiple media appearances and on AEW TV that his deal expires in 2024.
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

Looking forward to the show but wish there were 2-3 fewer matches on the card
Montana

Post by Montana »

roacheyyy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:15 pm Looking forward to the show but wish there were 2-3 fewer matches on the card

***** Spoiler Alert ******

Yeah, this was a strange call. Think it certainly could have helped DON ... at a minimum; moving like the TBS title, and Cole/O'Reily to the Buy IN. To AEW's credit, it didn't feel like they cut any of the matches that short. But yeah, this was a long show.

I'll give my thoughts kinda backwards. The main event could have gone either way; and i think this was AEW's least predictable main event , they've ever put on, which is great. However, i didn't like giving the belt to CM Punk, so quickly at the expense of Hangman. Yeah, he had it for 6 months; but it was also a 2+ years journey to get it, only to have 1 successful PPV title defense. Plus you got Hangman in his prime; for an aging Punk. Plus Punk winning the title; didn't have the same build up, as to when he won in ROH/WWE. In the match; Hangman showed why he's the current champ, and Punk showed why he shouldn't win the title. Now, i get maybe AEW needs a bit of a jolt... but don't think i would have booked Punk to win here. Maybe punk winning in a rematch down the road. But hey, is what it is; and i always say, it's not about how wins/losses, it's about the story... so we'll see. I assume we get heel punk too, at some point soon too.

Other than that; good show. Worst flow to a PPV for them; but again, at least the matches didn't suffer, other than a dead crowd here and there.

The good matches: Tag Title Match, Women's title match, Darby/O'Reily, Hardy's Bucks, Anarchy in the Arena, Death Triangle vs House of black. (Most of these were around (3.5-4.0 stars range)

The rest were alright.

The Martha Hart segment was the bad of the PPV. There was also a lot of sloppy moves/botches on the PPV as well. Surprised no major injuries i'm aware of.

Rush was the surprise of the PPV, for me. Stokley and Ember Moon were good adds. I assume this means we get Dragon Lee soon as well.

The MJF/Wardlow was a big matchup; and mostly a squash, which makes sense. I'm not a huge fan of wardlow; and probably would have booked MJF to win by cheating and not do the Wardlow contract storyline. Which would set up Page vs MJF at All Out. But now; not sure where we go with Wardlow.

Hard ppv to score; but i'll go 7/10. Nothing really great; but a lot of goood-very good matches. Haven't seen any other reviews, but i assume the length of the show will be a frequent complaint.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Montana wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:33 am
roacheyyy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:15 pm Looking forward to the show but wish there were 2-3 fewer matches on the card
However, i didn't like giving the belt to CM Punk, so quickly at the expense of Hangman. Yeah, he had it for 6 months; but it was also a 2+ years journey to get it, only to have 1 successful PPV title defense. Plus you got Hangman in his prime; for an aging Punk. Plus Punk winning the title; didn't have the same build up, as to when he won in ROH/WWE. In the match; Hangman showed why he's the current champ, and Punk showed why he shouldn't win the title. Now, i get maybe AEW needs a bit of a jolt... but don't think i would have booked Punk to win here. Maybe punk winning in a rematch down the road. But hey, is what it is; and i always say, it's not about how wins/losses, it's about the story... so we'll see. I assume we get heel punk too, at some point soon too.

Well… that didn’t take long. Hate to see anyone injured, but not incredibly surprised given the long hiatus.

The path towards the interim champ, seems cloudy at best at the moment. Bad timing, but never is. Too bad Hangman didn’t just retain.