AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
famicommander

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:52 am Unless you can list the salaries of all the talent, you’re just guessing.

Again, how is a touring entity supposed to make money during a pandemic?
WWE made MORE money without touring than they did with touring. Touring is expensive.

Mark Stunt claims to be making six figures in AEW.

I rest my case.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:56 am
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:52 am Unless you can list the salaries of all the talent, you’re just guessing.

Again, how is a touring entity supposed to make money during a pandemic?
WWE made MORE money without touring than they did with touring. Touring is expensive.

Mark Stunt claims to be making six figures in AEW.

I rest my case.
So you’re comparing a global brand that’s been around since the 80s to one that’s in its 3rd year and relying on 1 persons claim. Sounds about right for your “facts”.
Montana

Post by Montana »

With the moves that AEW has made lately... it clearly doesn't show a company that is "bleeding money"... A lot of the details would be up for speculation. It's be extremely surprised if Marko Stunt is making 6 figures. Maybe if he's including hotel stays, rental cars, insurance, merch sales, etc. There's several theories out there... AEW is a tax write off for the Khan family... or simply they are building a brand for the "long haul" and banking of vince retiring/selling ...believe what you will. But signing guys like Big Show , and barely using him, or Christian & Mark Henry, just because. Imagine with the pandemic they just chalked the first 1.5 years as a loss; and seems like as long as they have a major TV deal they are fine.. for now.

I imagine things will be get interesting around 2023, when guys contracts are up. Imagine guys like MJF, Jungle Boy, Darby Allin, Sammy G. are all gonna want get paid i assume. They've already spent a good amount on legends i assume. Gotta think WWE will make them big offers just because they can. Believe their TNT/TBS deal is up around that time as well. Don't foresee things going south that quick for AEW; but imagine the honeymoon period will be over by that point. I gotta think talent like Miro/Andrade can help carry them for years... but can they keep advertisers happy.

Completely agree with Fami though...their roster is severely bloated. They basically pay guys/gals just because they can/want to for a youtube show. At some point, see that catching up with them.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:34 pm Completely agree with Fami though...their roster is severely bloated. They basically pay guys/gals just because they can/want to for a youtube show. At some point, see that catching up with them.
Unless you know how much they’re making from YouTube and how much the wrestlers are getting paid, it’s pure SPECULATION and not a FACT. He presents his opinion as stone cold facts.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

What the hell are they doing with a terrible worked MMA match on Dynamite?

Do these people just scour wrestling history for every bad idea they can find so they can put them on their show?

Bad raw skits from 25 years ago? You bet.
Worked MMA garbage that almost drove NJPW out of business? Step right up!
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

AEW GAMES DEMANDED MMA STYLE MATCH GRAPHICS IS GOOD NEWS FOR ME.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Vickie Guerrero is going to wrestle.

A 53 year old manager who wasn't a wrestler when she was 33.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I didn't think the MMA match was that bad. Kinda liked it in a sense, but there were some little nit picks things too, i didn't care for. (IE: if it was a real cage fight, they wouldn't have acted the way they did)

Wow, if Vickie with Andrade wasn't bad enough...she's wrestling?? I assume it will be something like Nyla beats someone up and Vickie pins them? Idk, but i hate Vickie, and she is one of the few people in wrestling that drew me away from the product in like 30+ years.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Montana wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:35 am I didn't think the MMA match was that bad. Kinda liked it in a sense,
How and why?

Those were the fakest looking wrestling punches since Maki Itoh. One of the worst matches of 2021 anywhere, easily.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I liked that it brought some variety to the show. It wasn't presented like your typical wrestling match, in a ring, that we've seen a million times. I thought the cage/presentation looked good. I think they had a custom ring/cage for the match. I think it makes Jake Hager and his MMA persona better. Sometimes you need to turn your brain off when watching wrestling and just enjoy for what it is.

As far as the match goes, i thought it was mildly entertaining. In theory a actually MMA match would be much different, but it was basically a Wrestling version of a MMA match. thought this was just as good as any "lions den" / WWE efforts to present a MMA type match. I think they should have acted a bit more like a MMA match in the sense, your fighting for your life, but it mixed in that entertainment wrestling style.

But i think your a MMA fan; and i used to like it early on... but i've grown a bit tired of MMA. I guess i just don't like watching people actually getting hurt. I'd rather watch wrestling, where it's more scripted/entertainment.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Putting on a garbage, terrible looking fake MMA fight just highlights how fake wrestling really is. Nothing about that match looked legitimate in any fashion. It made Hager look like a clown.

Pro wrestling itself, in its most basic form, is already fake MMA. Doing a worked MMA style match is putting a hat on a hat. A really stupid hat.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

22 matches between Dark and Elevation this week, two went over five minutes.

Who is watching 20 squash matches per week and why?
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:20 am 22 matches between Dark and Elevation this week, two went over five minutes.

You did, since you counted the amount of matches and their length.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:11 pm
famicommander wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:20 am 22 matches between Dark and Elevation this week, two went over five minutes.

Either that or PW Insider posted an article with a breakdown of all the match lengths for all the wrestling television programs this week.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:14 pm

Either that or PW Insider posted an article with a breakdown of all the match lengths for all the wrestling television programs this week.
Not everyone wants to see EVERY damn match go 10-15 minutes like in ROH. At least those wrestlers are getting “seen”. ROH 6 man champs aren’t even on TV but once a quarter. Seen more of Brian Johnson and Dan Hausen than STP.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:41 pm

Not everyone wants to see EVERY damn match go 10-15 minutes like in ROH. At least those wrestlers are getting “seen”. ROH 6 man champs aren’t even on TV but once a quarter. Seen more of Brian Johnson and Dan Hausen than STP.
Again... 20 squash matches out of 22.

20 squash matches.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:24 pm

20 squash matches.
If you’re a fan of wrestler X, isn’t it better to see him squash someone every week or two; than to be a fan of wrestler Y and see him wrestle once every two or three months?
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:37 pm
famicommander wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:24 pm

20 squash matches.
If you’re a fan of wrestler X, isn’t it better to see him squash someone every week or two; than to be a fan of wrestler Y and see him wrestle once every two or three months?
Hell no. Id rather see a wrestler wrestle once every 2 months with a great match than weekly squash matches.

i revisit matches when they're great. not when they last 2 minutes.

20 squash matches is ridiculous
Last edited by indyfan on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AEW fans are still in that honeymoon stage of rationalizing every stupid thing they do and uncritically consuming everything they put out.

We'll see if fans are still as eager to watch 20 squash matches and continued absurdly horrible PPV gimmick matches in year 5 or year 8. Because Stadium Stampede, the Exploding Barbed Wire Death Match, and Jericho's cage fall are vintage electrified steel cage TNA.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0OaSDmwDRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL3PeCCh2s

Chris Jericho botches more than Jack Evans at this point