AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
famicommander

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by famicommander »

Reaper G wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:57 pm
famicommander wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:28 am Maki Itoh sucks.

MJF does not need a stable of garbage attached to him. FTR are the most overhyped tag team on the planet today, just because Jim Cornette used to like them. Boring, vanilla, not that good and never were.

Spears is hot garbage and Wardlow never actually does anything. Tully needs to go away too.
Is there anyone or anything you actually do like?
I like more than half the talent on AEW. I liked the promotion at the start and wanted it to do well. The shows just suck to a Vince Russo degree. Just a bunch of random nonsense happening every week. Way too many talents, way too much content, bad matches, bad storylines, bad booking, bad celebrity cameos, bad refereeing, bad commentary, bad camera work.

I like everything ROH has done since the COVID restart.

I like maybe one in five episodes of MLW Fusion. Will probably drop it soon if the ratio doesn't improve.

I like NJPW, I loved Lucha Underground, I loved ECW, I liked a lot of WWF and WCW stuff as a kid that I probably wouldn't like 25 years later.

I liked TNA despite its many flaws until Hogan and Bischoff took over. I still watched it religiously even after that until Billy Corgan's stupid rules championship showed up and they kept network hopping.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

15 god damn matches announced for Dark tonight.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

They made Penta look like a chump. He did his big arm breaker spot on Cody, who was already selling an arm injury. When Penta used that move in Lucha Underground it put people on the shelf for months. But instead, Cody no-sold it and immediately rolled Penta up for the pin.

Also, Penta is apparently a heel while Fenix and Pac are faces.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Cody is invincible... duh. Reality show... Check.

Just when Dynamite is starting to put you to sleep, they throw out a Bucks/Cults vs. Lucha Bros & Laredo Kid match.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Then they follow it up with an extreme over booked cluster fuck show. Does QT Marshall really need a faction?? Why does every segment have like 10-20 people in it. Oh yeah, because TK got like 100 people on the roster and can't use them all with 2 hours of TV. The arcade match was a joke.

...And i still like AEW... but man, they are sliding on thin ice in 2021. The new toy factor i think is starting to wear off; and i think theres always going to be a fanbase that likes the meme culture of AEW; but i can see them heading into TNA 2.0 territory faster than people think.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Every damn show has multiple post-match and/or backstage brawls. Commentary is still a trainwreck. Camera work still sucks. Storylines never seem to end. I can't believe this wedding storyline is still fucking going. Pentagon turns face and heel more than Big Show.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Serial rapist Mike Tyson returns to Dynamite tomorrow.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

According to Luchablog 72 characters (not including the broadcast team or refs) were featured on tonight's episode of Dynamite.

What a god damn clusterfuck of a promotion. How many heel/face turns tonight? Why does every single wrestler have their own stable? There are stables within stables in this bitch.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Why does Darby Allin only defend his title against unranked opponents?

Why did Thunder Rosa get buried after winning that epic match with Baker? Rosa won and got sent to Dark. Britt lost and got a big celebration promo on Dynamite and is ranked higher than Rosa.

How many 50-something celebrities do we need to see? Tyson, Snoop Dogg, Urban Meyer, Shaq.

Why is there nobody currently feuding for any titles? Omega vs Mox is more about personal shit and should already be over and none of the other champions are in an actual feud.

How many times will they do a will/won't Bullet Club break up? Multiple times in NJPW, multiple times in ROH, now multiple times in AEW.

This is a fucking terrible show. This is worse right now than ROH has ever been at any point, including world champ PCO.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:41 am Why does Darby Allin only defend his title against unranked opponents?

Why did Thunder Rosa get buried after winning that epic match with Baker? Rosa won and got sent to Dark. Britt lost and got a big celebration promo on Dynamite and is ranked higher than Rosa.

How many 50-something celebrities do we need to see? Tyson, Snoop Dogg, Urban Meyer, Shaq.

Why is there nobody currently feuding for any titles? Omega vs Mox is more about personal shit and should already be over and none of the other champions are in an actual feud.

How many times will they do a will/won't Bullet Club break up? Multiple times in NJPW, multiple times in ROH, now multiple times in AEW.

This is a fucking terrible show. This is worse right now than ROH has ever been at any point, including world champ PCO.
I thought Omega/Mox was because they brawled for no reason on the original PPV. I stopped watching last year when baseball and hockey came back. It was a great decision until Omega invaded Impact and ruins half an episode of that a week.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

kovs27 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:49 pm
famicommander wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:41 am Why does Darby Allin only defend his title against unranked opponents?

I thought Omega/Mox was because they brawled for no reason on the original PPV. I stopped watching last year when baseball and hockey came back. It was a great decision until Omega invaded Impact and ruins half an episode of that a week.
Impact has enough of their own problems, like putting their belt on Rich Swann or continuing to put John E. Bravo and XXXL on television.

At least Dreamer stepped away from the ring, Shamrock left, and Reno Scum got cut. That's a lot of dead weight gone.

I agree that the AEW stuff has just made it worse, though. Impact gets nothing out of this AEW/NJPW business so far.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Very good points. I think their problem is that they are literally trying too hard; and have WAY too big of roster. Very valid flaws. Instead of going back to the basics like ROH; they dig the hole deeper. I think for the most part Dynamite is watchable and the PPVs are good shows; but there's lots of flaws with AEW; and every week it's more and more clear. They have their700-800K dedicated fans that love the product.

I'm willing to bet, theres much more than what comes to eye with this stuff. I could be wrong; but Vince doesn't seem worried about AEW in the slightest. Very odd Jericho is on the stone cold podcast. Strange that they have a second YT show; a reality show, and no second TV show. Nothing on Dark/elevation is near relevant. Them signing guys like Sting, Christian, Big Show. I wouldn't say that i think AEW is in financial trouble; but I think Vince likes the way things are going with AEW. With them running unopposed, i think that will actually hurt more than help dynamite.

Also...can't not mention the horrible botches on AEW. WTF was Luchasarus trying to do?!?

As far as Impact.... i can't blame them for wanting association with AEW< and wanting Omega on the show; but have some self respect. DONT put the belt on Omega... DONT treat yourself, impact as inferior. I don't see how AEW trying to bury Impact is OK.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

Montana wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:00 am

As far as Impact.... i can't blame them for wanting association with AEW< and wanting Omega on the show; but have some self respect. DONT put the belt on Omega... DONT treat yourself, impact as inferior. I don't see how AEW trying to bury Impact is OK.
I find this frustrating. I want some parity between the two companies, and Swann, Edwards & Mack beating Omega and the Good Brothers was much needed. But other than that, the AEW-Impact has been too one-sided. Tony Khan buys airtime to bury Impact, but we have yet to see Swann or anyone else from Impact (Gallows & Anderson don't count) show up on Dynamite. And AEW being the bigger company, they're the one that needs to promote this title vs. title match.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Felt the need to discuss a bit of AEW... so a few random thoughts.

- Still enjoy the show/content; but still lots of visible flaws.

- Nothing new here; but they NEED to stop signing people; Their roster is BEYOND full. Every segment has like 10-12 people involved. Always these big brawls; when they happen multiple times in a episode; they lose value. I'd love to see someone like Moose or Rich Swann show up; but with a roster of 60+ wrestlers; it's just impossible to fit everyone in.

- Faction overload. Again; taking a "good thing" and then going overboard with it. Less is more. LIke the first year or two; the roster was smaller; but they built up a lot of guys really well ( MJF, Darby, Sammy, Jungle Boy)

- Women's division has gotten better; but still a ways to go to brag about how good the division is. (IE: most AEW fans; now that Britt/Rosa had a big match, and Shida solid reign as champ)

- Young Bucks title reign.... ?? I feel like they've botched the Young Bucks the past 6 months. Giving them the belts is nice; and they've had a few really good matches; but it's like the magic is missing. The illogical booking of the Omega/Callis thing to where they were beating up Callis one week; weeks later joining them. Their heel turn is just there. They are trying too hard to be disliked. Idk... just kind of feel like they are there; rather than something special.

- Kenny Omega , they've certainly made him the focal point... and with that intent; i think they met the objective. What they haven't done is build up ANY challengers. Like Adam Page lost to Brain Cage?? Mox still feuding with Omega? Who else is actually gunning for the champ?? Kingston. Just seems like they'd build up some challengers; but i'm guessing it will come down the road.

- Orange Cassidy over Pentagon.... really. OC is a guy to can eat a loss. Not sure the need to protect him.

- Santana has been looking like a future star. As i've probably said before LAX and Lucha Bros should be tag champs; leading the division.

- Dark Order is kinda looking lost right now. Reynolds and Silver were heating up; and kinda been MIA lately.

- Christian Cage ... he's a nice add; and has had good matches; but just feels out of place on the show. Sting is in this same boat. He shows up every week; and it's just that; he shows up; sometimes talks, sometimes takes or gives a punch. On to the next week. Repeat.

- Matt Hardy's faction ... ?? Not sure what the plan was here; but it's doing nothing for me. It just adds to the over use and cluster of the show. QT Marshall is in the same boat... doesn't need a faction.

-
Montana

Post by Montana »

Also AEW Fun Fact; 9 of 75 men's roster members have a win-loss record below .500 (IE Losing record) this year .

Thus theoretically; that means a lot of win/loss padding on Dark to jobbers/local talent not on the roster. In theory it should be closer to 40 or more; had they not pad stats on dark. Some of the better records:

Austin Gunn 9-0
QT Marshall 9-0
Hobbs 9-0
Colton Gunn 9-0

Kaz - 13-1
#10 - 12-1
Adam Page 11-1
Christopher Daniels 11-1
Ricky Starks 10-1
Kenny Omega 9-1
Uno 9-1
Stu Grayson 9-1
The Blade 8-1
OC - 8-1

Brian Cage 10-2
The Butcher 9-2
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Things are getting comical at this point.

Why are there babyfaces cornering babyfaces against other babyfaces who also have babyfaces in their corners? Why are the two babyfaces corners of the two babyface wrestlers brawling on the outside of the match?

Why the fuck do these storylines never end? We're still doing the Kip and Miro bullshit from how many months ago?

Why the fuck is Moxley still feuding with Kenny after an exploding barbed wire death match?

If the US Title is suddenly being defended on AEW television, why the fuck hasn't Moxley been carrying it around or even acknowledging its existence on TV?

How many times can the Inner Circle utterly embarrass the Pinnacle? Why the fuck did they so thoroughly humiliate them on multiple occasions BEFORE the big War Games blow off? Or are you telling me this War Games isn't the blow off and this feud will continue and be blown off in a much lower stakes match?

Why the fuck does QT Marshall need a stable?

What the fuck is going on with Lance Archer? He just shows up and does random shit every week. He likes Sting, he hates Sting, he saves Sting, he wants to fight Sting. Jake Roberts doesn't do anything, ever.

Sting does the same Tony interview where he gets interrupted and/or intimidates babyfaces on the outside of the ring during Darby's TNT Title matches.

There is still a jump start before nearly every match.
There is still interference in nearly every match.
There is still a post-match beat down after nearly ever match.
There are people not involved in the match brawling on the outside nearly every match.
The ref blatantly looks at people cheating and does nothing nearly every match.
Every single show there is more than one all-out, wild brawl between large groups of people.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Agree with most all of this.

What babyfaces were feuding with babyfaces? I know AEW likes shades of gray with good and bad, but they take it to the next level.

Haven't felt the Miro/Kip stuff drag yet, but Miro has been booked poorly thus far.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Montana wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:16 pm Agree with most all of this.

What babyfaces were feuding with babyfaces? I know AEW likes shades of gray with good and bad, but they take it to the next level.

Haven't felt the Miro/Kip stuff drag yet, but Miro has been booked poorly thus far.
Sting and Dark Order. Every week Darby, who is a babyface wrestles someone from Dark Order, who are all babyfaces. And every week Sting, who is also a babyface, gets into some kind of physical altercation with the Dark Order who, for no reason at all, always bring 8 people to stand around outside the ring.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Impact last week: 0.05 rating, 145,000 viewers
Impact this week: 0.05 rating, 120,000 viewers

AEW last week: 0.37 rating, 1,104,000 viewers
AEW this week: 0.33 rating, 889,000 viewers

Glad this crossover is working out great for both parties.
Montana

Post by Montana »

famicommander wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:28 pm
Montana wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:16 pm Agree with most all of this.

Sting and Dark Order. Every week Darby, who is a babyface wrestles someone from Dark Order, who are all babyfaces. And every week Sting, who is also a babyface, gets into some kind of physical altercation with the Dark Order who, for no reason at all, always bring 8 people to stand around outside the ring.
Ah, yeah... kind of a minor flaw in my opinion, and didn't hurt my viewing pleasure. But yeah; I could see where casuals would be confused. I imagine it was more Darby is the champ and the dark order is challenging. Not like it's a grudge/feud going on. Then their corners supporting. There's much bigger flaws in my opinion.

As far as the ratings drop... week to week isn't a good measure. Numbers pop up and down all the time. Like how they debuted UN-opposed on Weds at 1.2M; then 2 weeks later down to 880K. I assume with blood and guts coming up they will be over a million; and back down under a million mid-late May. To me; it's more of the month to month/quarter to quarter trends to tell if viewership is up or down.

Personally i don't think this bullet club reunion is working; but maybe they can turn it around at some point. I'm sure some like it, some dont.

Sounds like the NHL turner deal will affects AEW's second show. That's not good; as AEW already has 2 full rosters for the 2 shows.