AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
kovs27

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by kovs27 »

ICHIFUJI wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:38 am Is Omega still AAA Mega Champ?
Impact-AAA relationships still working?
Yes Omega is still AAA Mega Champ. He is defending the title against Laredo Kid at TripleMania in a couple weeks.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

One issue with AEW right now is just how much content is out there for them. Dark has 16 matches this week. A recent episode was 2 hours and 46 minutes long. Add that to Dynamite and PPVs and it just becomes too much to keep up with, and that's before you even get into stuff like Being the Elite.

Similar problems are why I stopped following NJPW and CMLL. They just put out so much content. And of course WWE is the king of this, with like 10+ hours of weekly wrestling shows.

To me an ideal amount of content would be a 2 hour A show, a 1 hour B show, and the occasional PPV or online supercard. Sort of like how Impact has Impact Wrestling, Xplosion, and their Impact Plus shows and PPVs.

But in any case, a B show pushing 3 hours is pretty insane.
Indynut

Post by Indynut »

I think they should cut back on time with their pay per views. They tend to go off the air at 11:30PM or later.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Bringing in Shaq is exactly the sort of crap I never want to see in wrestling and why it's hard to watch AEW.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I started seeing this coming a few weeks ago... but even more clear now. I see some major red flags coming soon for AEW in 2021.

1) Kenny Omega as champ. That Impact segment was awful.

2) Adding a second show in 2021; with the addition of partnering with impact. Maybe it will work; but maybe it also burns out some AEW audience. AEW and Impact are day and night different companies. Plus with dark being nearly 3 hours now. I could see this expansion being F'd up.

3) Tony Khan saying they will "take Chances" ... then we get stuff like Shaq. I get what they are trying to do. I'm sure they have a goal to get over a million viewers. They had a very good wrestling show with Dynamite; but unfortunately they were kinda stuck around 700-900K viewers.

4) Sting Returns... while i'm happy for Sting to return; AEW already has quite a bloated roster; and not sure more legends is what they need. This isn't the biggest concern; but the more time for Sting; the less time for roster people on the roster like Santana and Ortiz.

I just hope they don't screw this up...I'm sure the die-hards will stick with AEW; but can see some fans getting alienated/turned off by some changes.
Indynut

Post by Indynut »

Tony Khan is a money mark who doesn't know shit about wrestling or football. Impact is desperate working with AEW.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shaq.
62 year old neck injury Sting.
Snoop Dogg.
Marko Stunt singing songs.
Tony Khan becoming a TV character
Invasion storylines

This ain't wrestling, y'all. This is WWE with marginally better matches. Sports entertainment all day.

EDIT:
And Tony Khan has announced a 14 man tag match. Clusterfuck.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I try and give AEW credit where i can... but in the last 3 weeks; they managed to air 2 of their worst Dynamites and 1 of their best of all time.

Like for last night; unless i missed it.... there was no Jon Moxley, no mention of Moxley. Like wouldn't you think if he had such a great title reign, and got screwed out of the title, his character would wreck havoc?? It seems like that's would be the main story. Then like the Kenny promos were both kind of duds...where really not much was said. Impact has literally done nothing with AEW at this point.

They started with 3 matches; that were basically squashes; but yet they still made the jobber teams look good. Does Dustin vs. 10 really need to be on Dynamite?

Brandy/ SHaq/Cody ---- who cares

Oh...and now we get Sting and Cody with some tension.

Inner Circle... friction... who would have guessed.

Butcher/Blade over Lucha Bros... really. OK

Glad they finally - sort of used Miro.

AEW still does a great job of promoting and giving the feeling that Dynamite "anything" can happen; but really need a bit more consistency show to show.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I definitely thought the Lucha Bros would be bigger stars in AEW. They blazed through the entire wrestling world in 2018 and 2019. AEW, ROH (All In), CMLL, AAA, Lucha Underground, Impact, MLW, all over the indies.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:57 pm I definitely thought the Lucha Bros would be bigger stars in AEW. They blazed through the entire wrestling world in 2018 and 2019. AEW, ROH (All In), CMLL, AAA, Lucha Underground, Impact, MLW, all over the indies.
It's almost sad how much better they were used on Impact. The same goes for Santana and Ortiz. When I stopped watching several months ago they were hanger-ons for Jericho and never got any wins or ever treated as if they were a threat once the Bucks beat them. AEW has several talents who I like but if all they are going to do is lose to The Elite then I can find better things to do with my time.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

kovs27 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:06 pm
famicommander wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:57 pm I definitely thought the Lucha Bros would be bigger stars in AEW. They blazed through the entire wrestling world in 2018 and 2019. AEW, ROH (All In), CMLL, AAA, Lucha Underground, Impact, MLW, all over the indies.
It's almost sad how much better they were used on Impact. The same goes for Santana and Ortiz. When I stopped watching several months ago they were hanger-ons for Jericho and never got any wins or ever treated as if they were a threat once the Bucks beat them. AEW has several talents who I like but if all they are going to do is lose to The Elite then I can find better things to do with my time.
Pentagon Jr in other major promotions:
1X Impact World Champion
1X Impact World Tag Team Champion
1X MLW World Tag Team Champion
2X Lucha Underground Champion
1X Lucha Underground Gift of the Gods Champion
1X AAA Latin American Champion
3X AAA World Tag Team Champion
1X AAA World Mixed Tag Team Champion

Fenix:
1X Impact World Tag Team Champion
1X MLW World Tag Team Champion
1X AAA Mega Champion
2X AAA World Tag Team Champion
1X AAA fusion Champion
1X Lucha Underground Champion
1X Lucha Underground Trios Champion
1X Lucha Underground Gift of the Gods Champion

Plus belts in respectable indies like PWG, The Crash, AAW, and House of Glory.

To me they were at their peak in Lucha Underground but they were great in Impact and MLW too. AAA is too much fuckery for me most of the time.

They didn't win belts in CMLL but they had good matches. Fenix did some work for NOAH too.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Think the biggest issue, is that they have too much talent. Ironically the high point for Santana and Ortiz was the Parking Lot Brawl; and they did nothing after to follow up on that momentum. Then AEW goes out and signs a few more tag teams. Both LAX/Santana and Ortiz had a ton of momentum to start in AEW; but after SCU & Hangman/Omega won the tag belts; they were an after thought.

I think their booking style; is to keep teams strong and not job the out... but like... their strategy is to either not have them wrestler, or a dark squash match. Maybe with a second show it will help... but I can see them trying to keep people looking as strong as possible; as they are technically growing.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

They have too much talent yet the continue to put garbage like Jack Thwagger, Marko Stunt, and Shaq on TV.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

How can people sit through these Dynamite episodes?

Wedding + Shaq promo + terrible lumberjack match in three straight segments. And now FTR has kidnapped Marko Stunt or some shit?

Anybody who says there is any difference between AEW and WWE at this point is kidding themselves.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I really hope KENTA is just appearing to help promote his match with Moxley on Strong. I know what Meltzer reports but he just says whatever Nick Jackson tells him. Having New Japan talent isn't going to get me to watch Dynamite and I don't want to see anyone but the Lucha Brothers and maybe Santana and Ortiz in New Japan.
Montana

Post by Montana »

famicommander wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:39 pm How can people sit through these Dynamite episodes?

Wedding + Shaq promo + terrible lumberjack match in three straight segments. And now FTR has kidnapped Marko Stunt or some shit?

Anybody who says there is any difference between AEW and WWE at this point is kidding themselves.
Ok, so it wasn't just me... yeah i thought the first 90 minutes of this episode was pretty awful. Lackluster matches; along with the goofy storylines. The main event and aftermath delivered for me. I still hate the Good Brothers; but the match ended up being solid. The wedding was just odd to me. Like i wasn't sure what to expect; but like it didn't seem to make sense, or click with me.

NXT is just much more polished and serious/straight forward in the ring. Whenever i watch AEW i tend to focus more on the phone; which isn't that odd; but yet i always look forward to watching it. I really think they give the feeling of unpredictability really well. Like Kenta showing up; or Callis helping Omega win the belt. AEW still does a lot of things right; and the good outweighs the bad... but i think it will be interesting to see where we are at; at the end of 2021. If NXT goes goodbye; does that even help AEW?? Does AEW's second show burn people out even more. What's AEW have up their sleeve. Could just be me... but the big storyline they've been building is Hangman Page is this emerging superstar... and right now; he ain't doing ANYTHING ... so it's a slow build; but like i hope they don't miss that window of opportunity on him. I got the dark order thing a bit; but now tagging with Matt Hardy. No Thanks. I really think AEW's success level will depend on how this plays out. If they fuck it out; its going to hurt them; and they'll lose some fans. If a success; it'll grow and expand AEW.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NXT is hot garbage too. Karen Q is some 1000 year old mythological creature or some shit.

People too easily let NXT off the hook just because it isn't as horrible as Raw or Smackdown but it's still bad television more often than not.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I think it just comes down to what people like in their wrestling product.

I don't think NXT is that bad at all. Not great; but a good 2 hours of wrestling; with wrestlers at peak performance for the most part.

I actually think SD is the best WWE show; but quite a bit.

Raw 2/10 (No surprise, but the 3rd hour is the killer...other than poor booking)
NXT 7/10
SD 9/10

AEW 8/10

I enjoy watching AEW; but sometimes it's either very sloppy , or overly gimmicky storylines.... and just how hey utilize the roster isn't always the best.

Sting looked dead after the power bomb.

The revolution PPV coming up looks average at best i'd say. I'm not too into Mox/Omega in a death match; but i guess if you liked their first PPV match last year or so; you'll like this. Bucks vs. Jericho and MJF i think will be a pretty bad matchup for the bucks standards. I feel like the Bucks are really banged up and they just wrestle through it. Nothing else too exciting on the card for me.
Montana

Post by Montana »

A few random thoughts...

Shaq/Jade vs. Cody/Red Velet....

I think this panned out about what people expected. Shaq did a few moves, pretty limited, but the mixed tag portion helped. Jade/Velet kinda carried the match more, and they did decent, considering their experience. The highlight was clearly Shaq's big bump. Not surprised by the outcome. Cody going for test of strengths on Shaq, made him look quite dumb, but yeah, this match was what it was.

What happened to Shaq?? That was kinda odd, he just disappeared. I thought he might show up later.

Tully Blanchard... I'm glad he survived, and didn't look half bad considering his age. If i was TK, i wouldn't put him in the ring, taking bumps, but that's just me.

Paul Wight being an announcer just seems like a bad idea to me.

With how many scrubs on the AEW roster, im surprised so many of them get time on Dynamite. Feels like a wrestlers wrestle once a month still, and yet they keep signing more talent. Why am i see Max Castor more than Rusev, is behind me... or insert any wrestler you dont like.

Revolution seems a little underwhelming compared to other AEW PPVs. Think will still deliver a good show though. If you look at the build, you would think Sting and Darby vs. Team Taz is the main event. I assume it's Cage/Starks, but theres been several mis steps, when booking and building this. Like Sting/Darby attacking Taz's son, and Taz just stands there.

The build for the Young Bucks vs. MJF / Jericho has been pretty good, BUT don't think they will be a great match. contrast of styles, and not in a good way.

Omega/Mox = death match.... probably be the best match, but like i wasn't a match fan of their last blow off match. Imagine this will be similar but different.

Hardy/page... decent build, but just don't care about the match.

The ladder match should be fun, but mostly just excited for a ladder match.

The rest of the show feels like dyanmite/filler.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

All Elderly Wrestling

Chris Jericho
Tully Blanchard
Sting
Paul Wight
Taz
Jake Roberts
Vickie Guerrero
Billy Gunn
Luther
JJ Dillon
Matt Hardy
Christopher Daniels
Arn Anderson
Jim Ross
Shaq
Snoop Dogg

At most, 3 or 4 of those people should be on-screen characters or actively wrestling. A 67 year old man pinning Luchasaurus, Sting wrestling on PPV, Jake Roberts gets out of breath just standing there, Jim Ross is lost 99% of the time on commentary, Jericho has morphed into Tommy Dreamer who has morphed into Terry Funk, Matt Hardy can barely walk. Way too many managers/stables.

And now there is heavy speculation on Kurt Angle, who is 52 and can barely move his arms, and Christian Cage, who is 47 and has had more concussions than an aging offensive lineman.