G1 Climax 24 Spoilers Thread

Discuss all things related to NJPW here
ROHFan25

G1 Climax 24 Spoilers Thread

Post by ROHFan25 »

This is the thread to discuss the results of G1 Climax 24. All spoilers go in here. Do not post any spoilers in the NJPW thread. That thread is for discussion/star ratings only.

I'll start it off by saying...why does NJPW always have to be so unpredictable in the first few days of G1 lmao. Tenzan goes over, Shelton goes over, Yano goes over...wtf
Robareid

Re: G1 Climax 24 Spoilers Thread

Post by Robareid »

It's because they want to have the tournament keep its tension. It's one of the weaknesses of not having semis. Because only one guy goes through, they can't have one guy run away with the group because that'd make the last few days of the tournament unimportant. So they have to have it even, which means even the guys they want to win the tournament have to have a fair few losses, especially in this longer version of the tournament.

So they give the guys they want to do well in the tournament some early losses so that they can finish strong, and then few will remember their week start to the tournament. But they don't want the first few days to show exactly how the tournament will go, so they have a lot of the big time players have unexpected losses over the first few shows as to keep it even. Hence, a lot of the "lesser" guys pick up early wins.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

I've only seen the first 4 matches, but I was heavily surprised by Tenzan going over on Machine Gun, especially considering that DOC went down too.

Last 4 matches look tremendous, can't wait to watch it.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Just got through watching the first five matches of Night 1. Nagata/Kojima was the best of the first half. Ishii/Fale was pretty good as well. Also, I really liked what they did with Suzuki/Yano. It was a really short match, which is exactly what it needed to be.

By the way, anyone have their star ratings for Night 1 yet?
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I see Anderson having a really strong G1, so I see him having a few losses at the begging then finishing really well but still just falling short in about 3rd in his block.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Just got through watching the first five matches of Night 1. Nagata/Kojima was the best of the first half. Ishii/Fale was pretty good as well. Also, I really liked what they did with Suzuki/Yano. It was a really short match, which is exactly what it needed to be.

By the way, anyone have their star ratings for Night 1 yet?
Voices of Wrestling have a review out. Sounds like after a so-so first half of the show, it really finished fantastically. Honma apparently already really showed himself a more than worthy replacement for Ibushi.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I finished the first half as well and really thought it was good. Didn't think Gallows/Benjamin or Anderson/Tenzan was bad, which is what I expected. Ishii/Fale was great and Nagata/Kojima was a ton of fun. It's a shame how underrated both of those guys are.

I also heard that the crowd was going ape shit during the Tanahashi/Honma match but I'm yet to see it. Although you can tell based off the first half that this crowd is fucking phenomenal.

Heres how I had G1 playing out

A

Nakamura 15
Tanahashi 13
Fale 12

B

Okada 16
AJ 14
Anderson 12

AJ over Tanahashi for 3rd place and Nakamura over Okada. Okada wins belt off AJ in October. Nakamura/Okada WK9.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

A Block:
Nakamura 16
Fale 14
Tanahashi 14

B Block:
Goto 16
Okada 14
Styles 14

Nakamura beats Goto. Okada beats Fale.

Over the last few days I've just had a strange feeling Goto is going to do really well.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

After Okada cut his promo at the end of the show saying that he is going to win all of his G1 matches...I think he actually may go 10-0 now lol. I think that Goto will have a decent showing, but ultimately you are going to need your Champion and top guys to be in big matches at the Dome show. The top 2 matches have to feature a combination of Tanahashi, Okada and Nakamura.

Okada/Nakamura are locks for the top 2 in their respective blocks. I'd say AJ is as well because he's the Champion. The only thing I think they could do is that both AJ and Tanahashi would have to miss out, and that would be your title match for the Seibu Dome. Because what other high profile match could AJ do? They don't want to over-shadow their champion considering he's not hot right now.

The question is...is Nakamura/Goto and Okada/Fale big enough main events for a Seibu Dome show? I know it's going to sell no matter what because it's the finals...but the only way they can get close to filling that stadium is Nakamura/Okada IMO.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

You're not going to know the card until like two days before the event. I don't think the card matters too much because of that. But I think spreading your top talent throughout the card is what they'll probably do. I think we may see Styles & Anderson vs. Tanahashi & Makabe there.

I think the card could end up looking something like:

Nakamura vs. Goto
Okada vs. Fale
Styles & Anderson vs. Makabe & Tanahashi
reDRagon vs. Time Splitters
Ishii vs. Takahashi
Cole & Bennett vs. Tiger & Liger
Shibata vs. Nagata
TenKoji & Yano vs. K.E.S. & Suzuki
Naito & Honma vs. Gallows & Tonga
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Yeah, that's the only problem but still, I think they're going to go all out for this show. You kind of have to. They're also crazy for booking the Seibu Dome...but NJPW does take crazy risks sometimes. Nakamura/Okada is the only main event that fits that venue IMO. And it gives us a taste for Nakamura/Okada at WK9.

Nakamura goes over, Okada wins the belt...Nakamura says he beat Okada once he'll do it again, Okada say it's different when the titles on the line...etc etc.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Don't think they'll want to give away Nakamura-Okada on anything other than a Wrestle Kingdom main event, but we shall see.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I think it's going to be Nakamura/Okada in the Finals with Tanahashi vs. either Styles or Goto for 3rd Place.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Robareid wrote:Don't think they'll want to give away Nakamura-Okada on anything other than a Wrestle Kingdom main event, but we shall see.

I thought the same thing for a while but when I was going through my G1 predictions I couldn't really see anyone other than Nakamura and Okada making the finals. Nakamura is a stone cold lock IMO and the B block just dips after Okada/AJ. Goto? Anderson? I just can't see them main eventing a Seibu Dome no matter what.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

As a regular match probably not. Announced the day before when the majority of the tickets that are going to be sold are already going to be sold, and with the added stip of the G1 climax final? Yeah, I think Goto could.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I feel like they're going to treat this like their 2nd biggest show of the year. Kind of like their Summerslam. Really interested to see how it plays out.

Maybe we'll all be shocked and get a Tenzan/Shelton final :mrgreen:
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

G1 for me feels more like the Rumble. Big event that sets up the bigger one.

KoPW is their SummerSlam for me.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

That's how it usually feels but the Seibu Dome has changed that IMO.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Great first day.

Absolutely loved Styles/Okada, their chemistry is uncanny.

Great match from Shibata/Nakamura as well, exactly what I expected.

The 2nd half of the show really delivered - including Naito/Takahashi and Tanahashi/Honma.
PeoplesChampion

Post by PeoplesChampion »

Tired of yano going over suzuki for fucking two years