G1 Climax 24 Spoilers Thread

Discuss all things related to NJPW here
DirtyDave

Re: G1 Climax 24 Spoilers Thread

Post by DirtyDave »

PeoplesChampion wrote:Tired of yano going over suzuki for fucking two years
lots of good matches today, not sure that 2 minute match is worth discussing over anything else on today's show
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

you guys want to post your star ratings for the shows?

Day 1...

Ishii vs Fale ***1/2 loved that verticle suplex Ishii gave big Fale. Some hard headbutts near the end too
SXB vs Gallows **1/2
Tenzan/Anderson **1/2
Kojima/Nagata **3/4 disappointingly quiet crowd for this one. picked up near the end, then finish was flat for me. was expecting better
Yano vs Suzuki 3/4* I was very happy they only went 2 minutes. Suzuki really could have used a win today, he's done fuck all all year
Naito/Yujiro ***1/4
Makabe/Goto ***1/4
Tanahashi/Honma ****
Shinsuke vs Shibata ***1/4 Didn't quite meet my high expectations. Didn't love the crowd for this one either
Styles/Okada **** Okada looked and got treated like a superstar. Perfect timing on that sequence that ended with the AJ dropkick. Loved the spot where AJ leap frogged the guard rail, turned around right into a fosbury flop from Okada over the rail
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

1. Tomohiro Ishii vs. Bad Luck Fale ***1/4
2. Shelton X Benjamin vs. DOC Gallows ***
3. Hiroshi Tenzan vs. Karl Anderson **3/4
4. Yuji Nagata vs. Satoshi Kojima **3/4
5. Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki *
6. Tetsuya Naito vs. Yujiro Takahashi ***1/2
7. Togi Makabe vs. Hirooki Goto ***
8. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomoaki Honma ***1/2
9. Katsuyori Shibata vs. Shinsuke Nakamura ***1/2
10. AJ Styles vs. Kazuchika Okada ****
PeoplesChampion

Post by PeoplesChampion »

DirtyDave wrote:
PeoplesChampion wrote:Tired of yano going over suzuki for fucking two years
lots of good matches today, not sure that 2 minute match is worth discussing over anything else on today's show
yes but suzuki is stuck in a fued with yano while he can have good matches with anyone else.do u remember how he was booked as a threat to tanahashi and nakamura
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

1. Tomohiro Ishii vs. Bad Luck Fale ***1/2
2. Shelton X Benjamin vs. DOC Gallows ** 1/2
3. Hiroshi Tenzan vs. Karl Anderson **1/2
4. Yuji Nagata vs. Satoshi Kojima **3/4
5. Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki DUD
6. Tetsuya Naito vs. Yujiro Takahashi ***1/2
7. Togi Makabe vs. Hirooki Goto *** 1/4
8. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomoaki Honma ***3/4
9. Katsuyori Shibata vs. Shinsuke Nakamura **** 1/4
10. AJ Styles vs. Kazuchika Okada ****
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

NJPW G1 Climax 24: Night 1 (7/21/2014)- Sapporo, Japan

BLOCK A MATCH: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Bad Luck Fale- 7/10
A very good babyface vs. heel monster match. Ishii didn't take Fale off his feet very often, but every time he did, they made sure it meant something.

BLOCK A MATCH: Doc Gallows vs. Shelton X Benjamin (w/ TAKA Michinoku)- 2/10
Weapon shot in front of the referee with no consequences at all. It didn't matter for anything, either, because Shelton wound up winning clean. All this did was make Gallows, one half of the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Champions, look like crap.

BLOCK B MATCH: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Karl "Machine Gun" Anderson- 4.5/10
Some of their stuff really didn't look good at all.

BLOCK A MATCH: Yuji Nagata vs. Satoshi Kojima- 5/10

BLOCK B MATCH: Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki (w/TAKA Michinoku)- 1/10
The match was short. Suzuki jumped Yano before the bell and beat him up a lot. TAKA distracted the ref, which allowed Yano to hit Suzuki with a low blow and roll him up for the win.

BLOCK B MATCH: Tetsuya Naito vs. Yujiro Takahashi- 7/10
Both guys worked over the neck. Great match.

BLOCK B MATCH: Togi Makabe vs. Hirooki Goto- 7/10
Makabe charged right up to Goto before the bell and got in his face and started throwing forearm shots to the jaw, trying to get revenge for Goto breaking his jaw back in May. And that's what this match was: Two guys trying to break each others' jaws.

BLOCK A MATCH: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomoaki Honma- 7/10
Honma worked over Tanahashi's head. The match was great, but that's not a surprise or anything.

BLOCK A MATCH: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Katsuyori Shibata- 5.5/10
Nakamura didn't sell his leg at all, despite being in a submission hold for a good minute or so. Shibata did his spot where he keeps forearming the guy in the corner, completely ignoring the five count, and then the ref doesn't disqualify him just because that's not the spot. Then they no-sold some German Suplexes. Then they got back to good wrestling (minus Nakamura's no-selling), and even did a clever spot with Nakamura playing possum out of a sleeper hold to come back and cut Shibata off.
It's not that everything in this match was bad. It wasn't. There was a lot of stuff in here that was good, but it all felt disjointed and separated by the bad stuff, so it's narrative never came across well. The one thing they did get across well, though (especially in the beginning) was that Shibata was NOT fond of Nakamura's.... Nakamura-esque... antics.

BLOCK B MATCH: AJ Styles vs. Kazuchika Okada (w/Gedo)- 7.75/10
They had a great match with some spots that were very basic but came off as very cool. AJ worked over Okada's head until we got a pretty creative ref bump and then Yujiro interfered. After some initial offense, Okada fought him off, but this gave AJ time to recover and take over. Things got disappointing after that, though, as AJ pretty much no-sold a Tombstone by getting up after it pretty quickly... and then it would up meaning nothing because he got pinned by a Rainmaker five seconds later.

A good show from New Japan, the top two matches really didn't deliver to the level that I was hoping that they would. Hopefully eh rest of the G1 will be closer to expectations.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I've seen a lot of lower ratings for Nakamura/Shibata. Interesting....I think I might have liked it a little more than some others did.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Most of the stuff I've seen is either ***1/4 or ****. Seems weird for that much of a gap
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

I gave Nakamura-Shibata an even 5 stars and it's my MOTY right now. Only one other match from this year (so far) has 5 stars on my rating scale for those of you who wanna throw out how I hand out 5's like cookies. Absolutely loved it. Shinsuke has his gimmick down so perfectly and Shibata played the no nonsense type figure perfectly in this match. I loved how they both meshed in that sense.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I can never tell if you're trolling or not. Nakamura is so fucking on and off with selling. Shibata worked over his leg and he didn't sell it at all. Really hurt it IMO.

Had it at ***1/2.
SamoaNOAH

Post by SamoaNOAH »

Love both guys, but anything over **** 1/4 is pushing it.

I'll still watch again just for Shibata's corner onslaught of forearms and kicks. No one makes you think he's beating the bag out off his opponent more than Shibata.
SamoaNOAH

Post by SamoaNOAH »

Day 2 looks REALLY skippable, as does 3 for that matter. Anyone have some surprisingly good matches to report from last night to the contary of my prediction?

How it's structured also reinforces why Day 1 really needed to be over the moon to compete with last year. Without Ibushi, that hurts too. Now you're waiting for Day 4 for any chance at a MOTY candidate. Still too early, just sensing that last years G1 may be one of the greatest of our lifetimes.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I haven't watched yet, but I'll probably dive into the 1st half of Day 2 in a little bit. Like you said...nothing really interests me at all, so it'll probably be a chore to watch, but you never know. Some days surprised last year.

And honestly, I thought Day 1 was phenomenal. Ishii/Fale, Naito/Yujiro, Tanahashi/Honma and Okada/AJ were all fantastic IMO. One of my favorite shows of the year.

Star ratings for Day 1

Fale/Ishii ***1/2
Shelton/Gallows **
Tenzan/Anderson **1/4
Kojima/Nagata ***
Yano/Suzuki N/A
Yujiro/Naito ***1/2
Goto/Makabe ***
Tanahashi/Honma ***3/4. With a hotter finishing stretch this is ****+ no doubt. Match was incredible and the crowd was red hot.
Shibata/Nakamura ***1/2. Little disappointing in spots but I didn't think it was bad by any means. Little too much no selling and spots for spots though.
Okada/AJ ****1/4. Loved it. Told a great story. Yujiro interference/ref bump was greatly placed and didn't hurt it at all. AJ hopping the guardrail, showing off only for Okada to do the same and dive on him was great. Finish was awesome. I don't know how the fuck anyone can top the sell for the Rainmaker that AJ did. Only major gripe was the tombstone that was mentioned before. Not sure why AJ got straight up. Maybe because they didn't want to waste too much time in between spots since the finish was coming right after? Not sure.

Fantastic show. Not as good as Nights 4 or 8 from last year, but definitely a really great show. 8.5/10 for me total. Only thing it lacked was a true MOTYC.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Yeah, the one thing I don't like with Okada is his use of the tombstone as a setup move. He seems to phase it in and out every few months. Really annoys me when they don't even sell it at all.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

The way that he transitioned to the tombstone was awesome though.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Here's my quick review of Night 1:

1.) Block A - Bad Luck Fale vs. Tomohiro Ishii: ***1/4-***1/2
2.) Block A - Doc Gallows vs. Shelton "X" Benjamin: **
3.) Block B - "Machine Gun" Karl Anderson vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan: **3/4-***
4.) Block A - Yuji Nagata vs. Satoshi Kojima: ***1/2
5.) Block B - Minoru Suzuka vs. Toru Yano: * (Booked Perfectly)
6.) Block B - Yujiro Takahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito: ***1/2-***3/4
7.) Block B - Hirooki Goto vs. Togi Makabe: ***3/4-****
8.) Block A - Tomoaki Honma vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi: ****
9.) Block A - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Shinsuke Nakamura: ****
10.) Block B - AJ Styles vs. Kazuchika Okada: ****1/2

Overall: 9.0-9.25/10
SamoaNOAH

Post by SamoaNOAH »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Here's my quick review of Night 1:

1.) Block A - Bad Luck Fale vs. Tomohiro Ishii: ***1/4-***1/2
2.) Block A - Doc Gallows vs. Shelton "X" Benjamin: **
3.) Block B - "Machine Gun" Karl Anderson vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan: **3/4-***
4.) Block A - Yuji Nagata vs. Satoshi Kojima: ***1/2
5.) Block B - Minoru Suzuka vs. Toru Yano: * (Booked Perfectly)
6.) Block B - Yujiro Takahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito: ***1/2-***3/4
7.) Block B - Hirooki Goto vs. Togi Makabe: ***3/4-****
8.) Block A - Tomoaki Honma vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi: ****
9.) Block A - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Shinsuke Nakamura: ****
10.) Block B - AJ Styles vs. Kazuchika Okada: ****1/2

Overall: 9.0-9.25/10
You saw the same event I did, but you're a little more high on the overall. AJ / Okada had that big match feel ... just cements Okada as the biggest name in puro when he trumps the champ like that. Can't get enough of that kid ...
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

SamoaNOAH wrote: You saw the same event I did, but you're a little more high on the overall. AJ / Okada had that big match feel ... just cements Okada as the biggest name in puro when he trumps the champ like that. Can't get enough of that kid ...
Aside from Benjamin/Gallows, everything on this show was good to great to fantastic. I even enjoyed Suzuki/Yano for what it was (again, booked perfectly given the never ending feud they've been having).
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

SamoaNOAH wrote:Day 2 looks REALLY skippable, as does 3 for that matter. Anyone have some surprisingly good matches to report from last night to the contary of my prediction?
I've heard that Ishii vs. Kojima was fantastic
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

That was the one match that I was most looking forward to. I can't wait to get this fucking work done considering that's the opening match lol. As long as no show is as bad as Day 5 last year, it'll be a success.

Where did Day 1 take place? I feel like it wasn't Osaka or Korakuen but the crowd was fucking amazing.