NJPW Thread

Discuss all things related to NJPW here
Wilson

Re: The NJPW Thread - G~WON Climax 28

Post by Wilson »

From the Random Thoughts thread:
Mike Adamle wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:55 pm
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:53 am Congratulations to Adam Page for being selected to participate in his first G1 tournament.
Congrats indeed.

Now; to sound like a hypocrite, I'm a bit disappointed in the field. Only two new faces (and they're kind of meh) replacing two old faces (who I kind've would rather see.) Hope they show some fire and make me sound like an idiot.
The Hangman push continues. Well, OK then. Kojima is currently out with an injury (ACL troubles iirc), but it's hard to say if it would be any different if he were in wrestling shape. Hope to see some better performances from Jay White in this.

Nagata and Kojima will definitely be SORELY missed.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Over 100,000 NJPW World subscribers as of today, with about 40,000 outside of Japan.

I'd be very interested to hear how that compares to Honor Club or Global Wrestling Network,
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Jim Ross, please go away.

Signed,
everyone who watched that San Francisco show
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Full integer rankings (scale: bad to really good) for the G~WON:

Night 1
Yoshi-Hashi/Makabe - ***
Fale/Page - *
Elgin/EVIL - **
Suzuki/Tanahashi - ****
White/Okada - ***

Night 2
Yano/Ishii - ****
Tama/Juice - **
SANADA/Goto - ****
Sabre/Ibushi - *****
Naito/Omega - *****
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Once I catch up on my G1s it's over for you:

Night 3
Elgin/Page - ****
EVIL/Yoshi-Hashi - **
Makabe/Suzuku - ***
Fale/Okada - ***
White/Tanahashi - ***

Night 4
SANADA/Tama - ***
Sabre/Yano - ****
Ibushi/Juice - ***
Ishii /Naito - ****
Goto/Omega - ****

Night 5
Elgin/White - **
Suzuki/Yoshi-Hashi - **
EVIL/Makabe - ***
Fale/Tanahashi - ***
Page/Okada - ***

Night 6
Ibushi/Yano - ***
Sabre/SANADA - ****
Juice/Naito - ****
Omega/Tama - ***
Goto/Ishii - ****

Night 7
Elgin/Yoshi-Hashi- **
EVIL/Fale - **
Suzuki/White - ***
Page/Tanahashi - ***
Makabe/Okada - ***

Night 8
Goto/Yano - **
Naito/Tama - ***
Ishii/Sabre - *****
Omega/Juice- ***
Ibushi/SANADA - ***

Night 9
Elgin/Suzuki - **
EVIL/Page - ***
Fale/White - *
Makabe/Tanahashi - **
Okada/Yoshi-Hashi - ***

Night 10
Tama/Sabre - **
Juice/Yano - **
Ibuhsi/Ishii - *****
Naito/Goto - ***
Omega/SANADA - ****

Night 11
Makabe/Fale - *
White/Page - ***
Suzuki/EVIL - **
Yoshi-Hashi/Tanahashi - ***
Okada/Elgin - ****
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Ibushi/Omega and the finals are everything people say they are. I don't think another match will be better than the finals by the end of the year.

Night 12
Ishii/Tama - **
Juice/SANADA - ***
Naito/Yano - **
Omega/Sabre - ***
Ibushi/Goto - ***

Night 13
Elgin/Fale - *
EVIL/Makabe- **
White/Yoshi-Hashi - ***
EVIL/Tanahashi - ***
Suzuki/Okada - ***

Night 14
SANADA/Yano - ****
Got/Tama - *
Juice/Sabre - ***
Omega/Ishii - *****
Ibushi/Naito - ****

Night 15
Fale/Yoshi-Hashi- *
Suzuki/Page - ***
Makabe/White - **
ElginTanahashi - ***
EVIL/Okada - ***

Night 16
Ishii/Juice - ***
Goto/Sabre - ***
Ishii/Tama - ***
Omega/Yano- ****
Naito/SANADA - ****

Night 17
Elgin/Makabe - **
Yoshi-Hashi/Page - ***
Fale/Suzuki - **
White/EVIL - ***
Okada/Tanahashi - ****

Night 18
Tama/Yano - *
Juice/Goto - **
SANADA/Ishii - ****
Naito/Sabre - *****
Omega/Ibushi - *****

Night 19
Finals - *****
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I haven't seen Omega/Ibushi, but it's better​than Omega/Okada IV?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

It's really good! I don't know if I would compare it to Okada/Omega at Dominion, but I think I like it more than their 2012 match in DDT. The finals is in conversation with Okada/Omega (and I adored that match).
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

I thought Ishii-Omega was better than the Dominion Okada-Omega match. It's currently my MOTY.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

Great tag team match, Ospreay was fantastic
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The new English commentary B-team without Kelly or Callis is excruciating.
roacheyyy

Re: NJPW Thread

Post by roacheyyy »

Ibushi vs Ospreay gets my motor running, take my fucking money
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

THE NEW BEGINNING USA tour announcement
We are happy to announce “THE NEW BEGINNING USA”, a bi-coastal series in two US cities on January 30, 2019 and February 1, 2019.

“THE NEW BEGINNING USA” will take place in the following cities: Los Angeles, CA and Charlotte, NC.

New Japan Pro-Wrestling has put on four big match shows in the US, starting in July of 2017 with “G1 Special in USA”, and followed up with three shows in March, July and September of 2018.

In March 2018, we established the LA Dojo with Katsuyori Shibata as the head coach. Three young lions have debuted in the US so far.

“THE NEW BEGINNING USA” is the third pillar of New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s US expansion plan, along with big match production and new talent development.

We believe that New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s draw is in the ring, and tours such as this one will give an opportunity for more fans in the US to come see the New Japan matches in person.

THE NEW BEGINNING USA will overlap with “THE NEW BEGINNING in Sapporo” that will take place in Japan on February 2nd and 3rd. Wrestlers who are not part of the Japan matches will be heading out to the US matches.

This is our first foray of the US expansion that is not determined by the schedule in Japan.

With big matches, new talent development and US tour as the three pillars, we hope to have US wrestling fans experience the New Japan Pro-Wrestling fighting spirit.

Our goal is to increase US fans of New Japan Pro-Wrestling, in conjunction with streaming Japanese matches on NJPW World with English commentary, and creating new content that dives deeper into the history and allure of New Japan on our official YouTube channel.

THE NEW BEGINNING USA dates and locations are as follows:

January 30 (Wed) 8:30PM in Los Angeles, CA at the Globe Theatre

February 1 (Fri) 7:30PM in Charlotte, NC at the Grady Cole Center

Tickets will go on sale on Saturday, December 22nd at 10:00AM (PST). More information will be available on NJPW1972.com.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Will be interesting to see how they split the talent. Hard to imagine the US shows drawing well if it isn't close to 50/50, but I'd be surprised if it was close to 50/50. Do they have some of the talent do LA and then back to Japan for the 2/3 show?

Feels like a misstep, I don't think the brand is as strong as they seem to.

Edit: Just noticed the LA show is at the Globe (where PWG runs now, probably holds about a thousand), so I would guess the US card will be pretty underwhelming.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

I would imagine that ROH talent and LA Dojo trainees will be used the fill out these cards . I would bet that over 50 % of the talent will be North American wrestlers.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I need help. Seriously thinking of ditching cable. One of the perks is having AXS TV, but cable has gotten to God damn expensive to justify this cost. How much is it a month to get a subscription to NJPW World? I tried navigating the site but couldn't find it. Thanks.
Montana

Post by Montana »

10$ but the cost was mostly around 9.25 ish after the cost conversion. I had the app on the fire stick, and didn't love the navigation, but worked if you wanted to watch a show or two. It was fairly easy to subscribe/cancel as well. Well worth 1 month subsciption for WK. (Also i'm pretty sure they charge per calendar month, so if you subscribe at the end of JAN, you get charged for JAN, and then again in FEB in a few days. It's not like a 30 day membership thing.

I was in that same boat with cable. I have comcast, and they have a ton of fee's. I have cable and internet combined, and about 66% of the cost goes to internet and only about 33% to cable. Maybe a little more to cable, but the internet isn't cheap. So it got to be around another 40ish dollars to add cable. Thus, services like Sling/ and live streaming TV wasn't really worth it. Hulu/Netflix work well, along with stuff like WWE network. All these services tend to add up too. I'd say try some different options and see what you like best. I realized i certainly could live without cable, but it was nice/convenient to have.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Montana wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:31 pm 10$ but the cost was mostly around 9.25 ish after the cost conversion. I had the app on the fire stick, and didn't love the navigation, but worked if you wanted to watch a show or two. It was fairly easy to subscribe/cancel as well. Well worth 1 month subsciption for WK. (Also i'm pretty sure they charge per calendar month, so if you subscribe at the end of JAN, you get charged for JAN, and then again in FEB in a few days. It's not like a 30 day membership thing.

I was in that same boat with cable. I have comcast, and they have a ton of fee's. I have cable and internet combined, and about 66% of the cost goes to internet and only about 33% to cable. Maybe a little more to cable, but the internet isn't cheap. So it got to be around another 40ish dollars to add cable. Thus, services like Sling/ and live streaming TV wasn't really worth it. Hulu/Netflix work well, along with stuff like WWE network. All these services tend to add up too. I'd say try some different options and see what you like best. I realized i certainly could live without cable, but it was nice/convenient to have.
Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:17 am I need help. Seriously thinking of ditching cable. One of the perks is having AXS TV, but cable has gotten to God damn expensive to justify this cost. How much is it a month to get a subscription to NJPW World? I tried navigating the site but couldn't find it. Thanks.
Montana gave you a great response, but there's also this amazing excel sheet from Mr. LARIATO. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wilson wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:55 pm
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:17 am I need help. Seriously thinking of ditching cable. One of the perks is having AXS TV, but cable has gotten to God damn expensive to justify this cost. How much is it a month to get a subscription to NJPW World? I tried navigating the site but couldn't find it. Thanks.
Montana gave you a great response, but there's also this amazing excel sheet from Mr. LARIATO. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Very helpful! Thanks, Wilson!