NJPW Thread

Discuss all things related to NJPW here
BurningHammer

Re: NJPW Thread

Post by BurningHammer »

McXal wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:00 am Unlikely in honesty - not sure I could swing two nights off from parental duties for it I don’t think!

It’s tempting! I love wrestling @ York Hall. It’s such an atmospheric venue when it’s rocking!
Ahh yeah being a parent doesn't exactly equate to time off, having quite a few things with kids has made me very aware the demands that are put of any parent and free time is a limited commidity at the best of times.

Yeah it's one of favourite UK venues especially when its packed and jammed with good matches, last years was one of the best nights of wrestling i've had but the card this year unfortunately won't be able match that one, but it will be a good time I'm sure. That New Japan card though is so good and I'm really surprised how big they have made it really.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

KENTA joining Bullet Club and the subsequent ass kicking Shibata gave him, was the best angle I have seen in awhile.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

New Japan Showdown in San Jose coming November 9!

Fans in attendance at the SUPER J-CUP 2019 quarter final event on August 24 were treated to a special announcement, as it was revealed that New Japan Showdown in San Jose will hit the San Jose Civic on November 9.

NJPW continues its strong connection to the Bay Area with Showdown, following last year’s G1 Special in San Francisco’s Cow Palace and the Super J-Cup with our first San Jose event.

Tickets go on sale Friday September 13! Stay tuned to NJPW1972.com for more information on participating wrestlers and ticket prices.

NEW JAPAN SHOWDOWN in SAN JOSE

Saturday, November 9

San Jose Civic, San Jose CA

135 W San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95113

If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

NJPW 08/24/19 Super J-Cup Night Two Results
Credit Gerry Stumbaugh

Robbie Eagles defeats Clark Connors

Bushi pins Umino

Ishimori and Gedo defeat Narita/Fredricks when Ishimori makes Narita tap out

Liger / Amazing Red defeat Rocky /Yoh when Red hits a code red on Romero

New Japan coming to San Jose Nov 9 at San Jose Civic

Caristico pins Soberano Jr

Phantasmo pins TJP

Dragon Lee pins Taguchi

Ospreay pinned Sho
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Finally got time to watch Ibushi/White. What a fantastic match. With some of the other stellar matches in the G1 this year, this one did not disappoint. The last 5 minutes or so were fucking great. Extremely happy with this year's G1.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

- Super J-Cup Semifinals: Dragon Lee def. Caristico

- Super J-Cup Semifinals: El Phantasmo def. Will Ospreay. Taiji Ishimori interfered, helping Phantasmo win.

- Alex Coughlin def. Shota Umino

- Jonathan Gresham def. Clark Connors

- Soberano Jr. def. Ren Narita

- Juice Robinson def. Karl Fredericks

- TJP, Amazing Red, Ryusuke Taguchi & Jushin Thunder Liger def. Robbie Eagles, SHO, YOH & Rocky Romero

- Jay White & Taiji Ishimori def. Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI

- Super J-Cup Finals: El Phantasmo def. Dragon Lee
or Fb.com/ROHworld
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Is it just me or is the Super J Cup not up on NJPW World?
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Not just you, it will be uploaded some time in September. House show from Sydney was uploaded like a month after it happened, but maybe they didn't want to throw it out when G1 was happening so J-Cup will appear sooner.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Kind of pointless now that everybody has posted all the results everywhere
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

I guess, but I plan to at least watch Ospreay/Amazing Red since it got lots of praise and is kind of a dream match + nobody expected Red to win anyway.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

NJPW Road to Destruction: Blue Justice IX, which also included a pair of matches for the 2019 Young Lion Cup:

Yota Tsuji defeated Yuya Uemura in a Young Lion Cup match
Shota Umino defeated Ren Narita in a Young Lion Cup match
Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HSAHI, Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma defeated Alex Coughlin, Karl Fredericks, Clark Connors and Michael Richards
Chase Owens, El Phantasmo and Taiji Ishimori defeated Will Ospreay, Robbie Eagles and Toa Henare
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ryusuke Taguchi, SHO and YOH defeated Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre Jr., DOUKI and Yoshinobu Kanemaru
SANADA, Shingo Takagi and BUSHI defeated Kazuchika Okada, Hirooki Goto and Rocky Romero
Yuji Nagata, Jushin Thunder Liger, Satoshi Kojima, Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Manabu Nakanishi defeated The Guerrillas of Destiny, Jado, Yujiro Takahashi and Bad Luck Fale
or Fb.com/ROHworld
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

New Japan Showdown sees NJPW return to the West Coast this November, as we hit the San Jose Civic on November 9, and Los Angeles’ Globe Theater on November 11. With tickets going on sale September 13, we can confirm the first names for these huge events!

NJPW

Kota Ibushi

Jyushin Thunder Liger *San Jose event only

Juice Robinson

CHAOS

Kazuchika Okada *San Jose event only

Will Ospreay *San Jose event only

Los Ingobernables De Japon

Tetsuya Naito

EVIL

SANADA

BULLET CLUB

Jay White

Chase Owens

Suzuki-Gun

Minoru Suzuki

Lance Archer

Further talent, card to be announced at a later date.

Discuss this in our Official NJPW Thread

New Japan Showdown in San Jose

San Jose Civic, San Jose CA

Saturday November 9 7PM start

Ringside: $300
Arena A: $200
Arena B: $100
Arena C: $80
Dress Circle A: $100
Dress Circle B: $80
Dress Circle C: $50
Dress Circle D: $30
Balcony A: $100
Balcony B: $80
Balcony C: $50
Balcony D: $30

TICKETS ON SALE FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 13 12:00PM

Ticket URL:

https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1C005725F28A8468

(Link active on September 13 12:00PM)

New Japan Showdown in Los Angeles

Monday November 11, 7PM start

Globe Theater, Los Angeles CA

Ticket information to be announced.
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Montana

Post by Montana »

What do people think in regards to NJPW potentially working an "unsafe" style? I get NJPW and Japanese wrestling has been this way for a long time, but do they do enough to protect their wrestlers?? As much as i enjoy the product and the matches, i can't help but think the wrestlers are at a much higher risk of injury, with their rigorous schedule and strong style matches.

I know in the US and WWE concussions are a big deal in all major sports, especially recently. I assume the Japanese culture is not as concerned? Seems like it is sweep under the rug a bit.

Thoughts? Does this take away from the product for you?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Montana wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:15 am What do people think in regards to NJPW potentially working an "unsafe" style? I get NJPW and Japanese wrestling has been this way for a long time, but do they do enough to protect their wrestlers?? As much as i enjoy the product and the matches, i can't help but think the wrestlers are at a much higher risk of injury, with their rigorous schedule and strong style matches.

I know in the US and WWE concussions are a big deal in all major sports, especially recently. I assume the Japanese culture is not as concerned? Seems like it is sweep under the rug a bit.

Compared to the WWE, I would call New Japan's schedule and performance output pretty cautious. Top stars in the WWE have been known to track above 200 matches in a year, with their already ludicrously exhausting travel obligations. Other than Ibushi, Naito, Ospreay, and Hiromu, most of the roster are selective with taking risky bumps. New Japan's heavy reliance on tags is meant to conserve their wrestlers' health; they've also reduced their dates this year as well as padded the schedule of the grueling G1, which are due concessions to make for the talent considering how business has gone up. I think questions of if it's ethical to profit off of workers who risk so much to put on a show, even if it provides them a generous living, will always hang over wrestling.

Destruction in Kobe is also a show with a few neat surprises in the undercard, if anyone hasn't already been spoiled. The middle multi-man tags, outside of Suzuki-gun vs Liger's neo-CTU, are skippable.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Montana wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:15 am What do people think in regards to NJPW potentially working an "unsafe" style? I get NJPW and Japanese wrestling has been this way for a long time, but do they do enough to protect their wrestlers?? As much as i enjoy the product and the matches, i can't help but think the wrestlers are at a much higher risk of injury, with their rigorous schedule and strong style matches.

Kind of double edged sword here as to how to answer this. The Shibata head injury from a few years ago was cringe inducing to watch. Ibushi nearly breaking his neck and skull in his last match with Naito was particularly brutal to witness. These examples though are the exception rather than the rule. The NJPW schedule is not nearly as grueling as the WWE schedule, which probably affords these guys more time to recuperate between shows. Additionally, the multi-tag matches these guys work on where they don't have to go all out to save themselves for their lone singles or tag team match if it's a series of shows help as well.

Japanese wrestling has always been more snug than any other type and I think they do the best they can to protect their wrestlers.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

What the hell is this fancam crap on this Super J Cup stuff they finally uploaded?

Is this why we had to wait forever?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

It's like they go out of their way to make their product hard to keep up with.

Post nothing for a month, then post 20 shows in 15 days completely out of order, some of which were filmed without a hard camera, some of which were filmed with ONLY a hard camera.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

NJPW 09/29/19 Fighting Spirit Unleashed: Philadelphia Results

* Rocky Romero defeated Clark Connors

* Mikey Nicholls defeated Karl Fredericks

* Lance Archer defeated Alex Coughlin

* Amazing Red defeated Ren Narita

* Shingo Takagi, SANADA, and Tetsuya Naito defeated SHO, YOH, and Juice Robinson

* BUSHI and EVIL defeated TJP and Kota Ibushi

* Hiroshi Tanahashi, Robert Gibson, Ricky Morton, YOSHI-HASHI, Tomohiro Ishii, Hirooki Goto, defeated Gedo, Chase Owens, Tanga Loa, Tama Tonga, KENTA, and Jay White
or Fb.com/ROHworld
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

It was a fun show. Nothing happened that was must see. Every match was entertaining and the crowd stayed got throughout. It waa also refreshing to have a show under 3 hours.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

According to PWInsider Philadelphia was said to have been the most profitable in terms of the gate. New York City was the biggest night in terms of merchandise sales, with Lowell coming in second.

Philadelphia was completely sold out which included an additional 200 standing room tickets that were made available because there were so many inquiries to the 2300 Arena.

The only major injury was Ibushi’s tooth cap being kicked out by EVIL.

North Carolina’s Premier Wrestling Xperience handled the production of the shows with Patrick Price from their company was the one editing the shows live as they happened. Price specifically edited the NYC show to have more of an American feel, wanting it to come across like a “rock concert” while the other shows were edited to have more of a traditional NJPW production feel.

The Rock N’ Roll Express being used was said to have been a Jado idea.

Backstage in Philadelphia was WWE’s Kairi Sane, Ring of Honor’s Sumie Sakai and Cheeseburger and CZW’s DJ Hyde. Also at the Philly show, for the first time in decades in the building, was former ECW promoter Ed Zohn, who now works with PWX.
or Fb.com/ROHworld