NJPW Thread

Discuss all things related to NJPW here
Sandy Fork

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by Sandy Fork »

BigTChamp wrote: A lot of what I've seen from New Japan seems to be in front of crowds that are closer to, say, an ECW PPV than a WWE show. Isn't NJPW supposed to be in kind of a boom right now? Hoping someone more familiar can provide some insight into it's relative mainstream popularity in the country.
Considering wrestling in Japan could be considered dead back in the mid 00's this is a boom. It's nowhere near the 80's-90's where they drew 14k for small house shows, but nowhere is it bad to draw around 5 thousand people regularly
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

BigTChamp wrote:
Robareid wrote:By the way, apparently they're not running the 8,000 seater for Hinokuni, instead probably a 5,000 seater.
A lot of what I've seen from New Japan seems to be in front of crowds that are closer to, say, an ECW PPV than a WWE show. Isn't NJPW supposed to be in kind of a boom right now? Hoping someone more familiar can provide some insight into it's relative mainstream popularity in the country.

I not an expert on NJPW. However attendance is not the only indicator of success. The question I have is how do the NJPW tickets cost ? In other in the income generate by the event is really more important than the crowd size. Are the selling the tickets and filling the venue with comps ? I don't know the answer , maybe someone else does.

The larger NJPW shows appear to have between 5 to 10 ,000 fans in attendance . Of course they run a lot of smaller venues , which is normal for most wrestling promotions.

As for the WWE . They draw big crowds for their 4 major events , when the hardcore fans travel to the events .. I think the house shows draw 3 to 4 ,000 people . I know they ran the Fast Lane PPV in my home town of Memphis , TN . They ran in the 18,100 seat FedEX Forum. The building was only half full . around 9,000 fans. Memphis is a big wrestling market and the WWE could not come close to filling the building. In the 70's and 80's Memphis wrestling drew about 9,000 per week , not twice a year .

I really don't think any wrestling promotion is in a boom period or has any mainstream appeal . They all depend on their hardcore loyal fans and their TV deals to carry the business.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

New Japan's big crowd generally range between 8,000 and 36,000 these days
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Updated w/ New Japan Cup 2015 Final Day and Invasion Attack 2015 - http://meltzerstarratingsv2.blogspot.co ... tings.html
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Jushin "Thunder" Liger lost the NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Title to Steve Anthony this past weekend in Las Vegas. Liger will be getting his rematch at NJPW Wrestling Hinokuni on April 29th.

Also on that show will be Hiroyoshi Tenzan defending the NWA World Title against the returning Big Daddy YumYum.
PeoplesChampion

Post by PeoplesChampion »

Big Daddy Yum Yum=Best seller of machine gun chops
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

Couple things, any idea when there will be an app so I can watch world on my TV? Is there a full English site in the works? (I know there are many more knowledgeable people than me on this)

Does anyone know where I can buy last years G1(Must have case and art)?

Thanks
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Finally watched my first NJPW show with Invasion Attack :

10-man tag - **1/2
6-man tag - **1/2
RPG Vice vs. Young Bucks (c) - ****
Mascara Dorada vs. Kenny Omega (c) - ***1/2
Kingdom vs. Anderson & Gallows (c) - *** (yeah, Anderson suddenly becoming a horny 15yo virgin was a bit too much, but the match itself was fine)
6-man tag - ***1/2
Shibata & Tanahashi vs. Sakuraba & Yano - **1/2
Bad Luck Fale vs. Kazuchika Okada - ***
Kota Ibushi vs. AJ Styles (c) - ****
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Aparently a full English site is in the works, but no timeline on that has been mentioned. But honestly if you have chrome the site is super easy to navigate.

Japan don't really have a DVD culture, so they do very few DVDs, and as a result the ones they do sell are extortionate.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

New Japan fan get DVD's. Classic series sold a lot.
And they got mad because all DVD's become archives of NJPWworld after they spent over $300.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Road to Wrestling Dontaku - 17/04/2015

Sho Tanaka vs. Tiger Mask - ***
Mascara Dorada & Yohei Komatsu vs. Roppongi Vice (Beretta and Rocky Romero) - ***1/2
Captain New Japan & Manabu Nakanishi vs. Ryusuke Taguchi & Yuji Nagata - **
Kenny Omega, Yujiro Takahashi and Cody Hall vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima and KUSHIDA - ***
Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson vs. Tetsuya Naito & Tomoaki Honma - ***1/2
Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga vs. Gedo & Kazuchika Okada - ***
Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, YOSHI-HASHI and Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Hirooki Goto, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Katsuyori Shibata, Kota Ibushi and Togi Makabe - ***1/2

NJPW Wrestling Hinokuni 2015 - 29/04/2015

Jay White, Sho Tanaka and Yohei Komatsu vs. Roppongi Vice (Beretta and Rocky Romero) and Gedo - ***1/2
Cody Hall & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Captain New Japan & Satoshi Kojima - ***
KUSHIDA, Manabu Nakanishi et Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Mascara Dorada, Tiger Mask IV et Yuji Nagata - **1/2
Jushin Liger vs. Steve Anthony (c) (w/ Bruce Tharpe) - ***
Big Daddy Yum Yum (w/ Bruce Tharpe) vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan (c) - **1/2
Tetsuya Naito, Tomoaki Honma and Alex Shelley vs. Doc Gallows, Karl Anderson and Kenny Omega - ***
Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga vs. Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI (w/ Gedo) - ***
Hirooki Goto, Hiroshi Tanahashi and Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kazushi Sakuraba, Shinsuke Nakamura and Toru Yano - ****
Togi Makabe vs. Tomohiro Ishii (c) - ****1/2
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
PeoplesChampion

Why is njpw hot shotting thier titles? i think now aj loses the belt to okada and tanahshi wins g1 and defeats okada than loses to aj in his first defense than okada wins the g1 and tana wins the belt before wk but still manages to defeat okada at wk but loses belt to someone else shortly who loses to okada who loses to tana..... I am pissed
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

PeoplesChampion wrote:Why is njpw hot shotting thier titles? i think now aj loses the belt to okada and tanahshi wins g1 and defeats okada than loses to aj in his first defense than okada wins the g1 and tana wins the belt before wk but still manages to defeat okada at wk but loses belt to someone else shortly who loses to okada who loses to tana..... I am pissed
And NEVER Title. What was the point of stripping Makabe of the title of the title? He got sick. So what? You can't miss one defense because your sick? And if you have to strip him of the title, why have Ishii lose it right back to Makabe right away?

The IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Titles have also changed hands three times in a three-month period.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Why Makabe got it back: Politics. Makabe is the big backstage politician in New Japan.
PeoplesChampion

Isnt he one of the most over guy?i saw a match where tanahashi ( ace of japan) was getting booed where he was facing makabe
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Makabe is over yes, but he is also known as the biggest power player backstage and holds a lot of sway. He's the main reason we haven't had a Shibata singles run with any of the belts. Makabe hates Shibata.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

Sandy Fork wrote:Makabe is over yes, but he is also known as the biggest power player backstage and holds a lot of sway. He's the main reason we haven't had a Shibata singles run with any of the belts. Makabe hates Shibata.
Really? Well screw him then, I'm mad now. Shibata is pure gold. Makabe's good but he's not as good as Ishii imo, shouldn't have won it.
PeoplesChampion

Sandy Fork wrote:Makabe is over yes, but he is also known as the biggest power player backstage and holds a lot of sway. He's the main reason we haven't had a Shibata singles run with any of the belts. Makabe hates Shibata.
I thought the backstage heat on shibata was from shinskay and tanahashi. As all three of them were dubbed as new 3 musketeers and shibata left the company when it was at its worst and came back when njpw was doing good and he failed at mma.ive read reports saying both tanahashi and shinsuke even threaten to quit njpw.and if they went we all know how japanese roster works.one main guy leaves,many leave with him(misawa taking away number of superstars with him to form noah and 10 years later most of them returned to AJPW ) if that happened njpw would have lost its two biggest stars and some of its growing stars too(i bet okada,ishii and yoshi hashi are shinsuke guys and naito,taguchi,makabe are tanahashi guys)
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

What I took from Makabe getting the title back is that he probably was never meant to lose it in the first place. Otherwise, they would have kept it on Ishii.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

PeoplesChampion wrote: I thought the backstage heat on shibata was from shinskay and tanahashi. As all three of them were dubbed as new 3 musketeers and shibata left the company when it was at its worst and came back when njpw was doing good and he failed at mma.ive read reports saying both tanahashi and shinsuke even threaten to quit njpw.and if they went we all know how japanese roster works.one main guy leaves,many leave with him(misawa taking away number of superstars with him to form noah and 10 years later most of them returned to AJPW ) if that happened njpw would have lost its two biggest stars and some of its growing stars too(i bet okada,ishii and yoshi hashi are shinsuke guys and naito,taguchi,makabe are tanahashi guys)
Makabe was there at that time as well, and politicked himself into that spot Shibata was supposed to have when Shibata left. But Shibata leaving pissed Makabe off since he's off the "if you aren't here for the tough times, don't come back for the good times" mentality. Tanahashi has said in his book that he and Shibata have moved on from their beef and now it's more of a difference in views on wrestling (Shibata is strong style, Tana is more "regular" wrestling). Swagske also laid off Shibata once he signed a full time deal.

But neither Tana or Nakamura are that involved in the booking, Makabe is.