NJPW Thread

Discuss all things related to NJPW here
Chris20000
Banned
Banned

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by Chris20000 »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Dang it. Not this thread too...

Why do you guys even argue with Chris2000? He literally just complained about Okada vs Tanahashi wrestling for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. A rivalry that's considered by many to be the best wrestling in 15 years. And he complains about it for the reason that "they aren't true heavyweights."

The only reason I read his posts is for the lulz. How anyone on here takes this guy seriously is beyond me.
What's been so great about it then? I havent' heard one thing about it, in fact I had to wiki both guys.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

You know what, I'm spending WAY to much of my time arguing with Chris, and it has got to the extent where I'm derailing threads, so I'm just going to block him. If he does anything bad, then report him, because otherwise I won't see it.

Anyway, getting back on track, with Marufuji back at the Dome, and talk of him working a fair few dates in NJPW next year, what matches would you like to see? I'd be all over Marufuji vs. Naito, Nakamura, Ibushi and Styles.
stay gold

Post by stay gold »

I'll always like Marufuji, even if he's kinda broken down nowadays. I wasn't crazy about the match he had with Nagata for the GHC title this past summer, but I still usually look forward to his matches.

Marufuji vs Nakamura from 2013 was really good, I thought. Would like to see a rematch. Those other matches you listed would be at the top for me too. I think matches against Ishii and Omega would be cool too.
Chris20000
Banned
Banned

Post by Chris20000 »

Robareid wrote:You know what, I'm spending WAY to much of my time arguing with Chris, so I'm just going to block him. If he does anything bad, then report him, because otherwise I won't see it.

Anyway, getting back on track, with Marufuji back at the Dome, and talk of him working a fair few dates in NJPW next year, what matches would you like to see? I'd be all over Marufuji vs. Naito, Nakamura, Ibushi and Styles.
Fine, just as long as the rest of the forum knows giving my own opinion doesnt classify as "bad". And is not breaking the rules.

Back to the card now like you said. To me there are a lack of heavyweights. Are there any good stories going into it? Which story is the best? What is the story?
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Chris20000 wrote:
Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Why do you guys even argue with Chris2000? He literally just complained about Okada vs Tanahashi wrestling for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. A rivalry that's considered by many to be the best wrestling in 15 years. And he complains about it for the reason that "they aren't true heavyweights."
What's been so great about it then? I havent' heard one thing about it, in fact I had to wiki both guys.
Are there any good stories going into it? Which story is the best? What is the story?
Tanahashi was on top in an almost Cena-esque spot. Okada came in as lowly undercard wrestler and became the top guy. They've traded wins back and forth to develop an excellent competitive rivalry. Every match has been a home-run with great in ring story telling. For reference Meltzer rated 3 of their so far 6 matches at *****, and nothing below ****1/2. I've seen it compared to Flair/Steamboat on more than one occasion.

I'm a huge fan of this rivalry, so highly recommend it to anyone who has any sort of interest in NJPW.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

It should probably be pointed out that in general most agree Meltzer overrates NJPW star wise. But it has still been an absolutely stellar rivalry.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Robareid wrote:It should probably be pointed out that in general most agree Meltzer overrates NJPW star wise. But it has still been an absolutely stellar rivalry.
Yeah, he totally does but it's an easy point of reference. But even just comparing to other Japanese stuff, it's consistently higher than most other rivalries and I'd say in the same league as stuff that's usually associated with legends (i.e Misawa, Kobashi, Akiyama, etc).

I'm also really excited for Nakamura vs Ibushi. Their match in the 2013 G1 was one of my favorites from that tournament.
Needless to say, I'm pumped for WrestleKingdom.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

It really feels like this show is the one they've been building to since 2012. It's going to be special.
Chris20000
Banned
Banned

Post by Chris20000 »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:
Chris20000 wrote:
Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Why do you guys even argue with Chris2000? He literally just complained about Okada vs Tanahashi wrestling for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. A rivalry that's considered by many to be the best wrestling in 15 years. And he complains about it for the reason that "they aren't true heavyweights."
Are there any good stories going into it? Which story is the best? What is the story?
Tanahashi was on top in an almost Cena-esque spot. Okada came in as lowly undercard wrestler and became the top guy. They've traded wins back and forth to develop an excellent competitive rivalry. Every match has been a home-run with great in ring story telling. For reference Meltzer rated 3 of their so far 6 matches at *****, and nothing below ****1/2. I've seen it compared to Flair/Steamboat on more than one occasion.

I'm a huge fan of this rivalry, so highly recommend it to anyone who has any sort of interest in NJPW.
And who are the crowd behind? Tanahashi is the heel I assume? Who is going to win the feud overall do you think?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Robareid wrote:It should probably be pointed out that in general most agree Meltzer overrates NJPW star wise. But it has still been an absolutely stellar rivalry.
lol so who do you think overrates more, star wise: Meltzer with New Japan or me with ROH?
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

You with ROH lol. Meltzer didn't overrate any of the Tanahashi/Okada matches that I saw. Invasion Attack and KOPW were both ***** IMO and the G1 Draw I had at ****1/2.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

The first encounter was pretty overrated by Meltzer for me. I think he had it at ****1/2, but anything over four for me was pushing it.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Yeah...nothing tops Meltzer overrating Orton and/or Edge matches.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

So apparently NJPW is now funding NOAH as well.

Wonder why
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Good talent exchange, gives their veterans a chance to have big singles runs when they can still go but the focus is no longer on them. Maybe part of the agreement is to take the NOAH tape library for NJWorld.
Chris20000
Banned
Banned

Post by Chris20000 »

Okay well let me ask this, who is the best talent in NJPW today then, Okada? Do most people agree he is. I haven't seen the guy, yet anyways.
stay gold

Post by stay gold »

Sandy Fork wrote:So apparently NJPW is now funding NOAH as well.

Wonder why
Really? That's good news. I was worried about NOAH's fate for a while. They've turned around in the past couple of years though.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

stay gold

Post by stay gold »

That's a great video.