Young Bucks - Killing the business

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Montana

Young Bucks - Killing the business

Post by Montana »

I actually got a free copy of the book through Audible (owned by amazon), as it was my first audio book.

I was curious on their 2018, their discussions with HHH, Tony Kahn and ROH went. Long story short; after several meeting with HHH/Tony; they believed in Tony's concept... and mostly all mutually agreed before All in Sept 1st 2018, that they would be going to work on another project. They told ROH/ Joe Koff days after the event they would not be returning. Sounds like ROH made a initial offer Pre-All in; and both sides were "way off" on the number; compared to their "street value" in WWE. Also, ROH turned down the bucks as bookers; as they wanted to keep them as wrestlers, and didn't want full active wrestlers as bookers. Then later in DEC they spoke with Rocky and NJPW; and tried to get NJPW on board with AEW. NJPW was also salty about this; and kept them off New Years Dash for a more proper send off.

Another point i found interesting; was that ROH asked to help out with All in. I guess at the time; they assumed the Bucks/Cody were staying; and this would help their relationship. Which; they mentioned Joe Koff was quite upset after All In; and they told them they were leaving. Either way, from their perspective; it was ROH asking to help out. Also; Cary Silkin gave them 3K out of his own pocket; to help them start their T-Shirt merchandising business.

I still have mixed feelings on how this went down; and see why ROH & NJPW would be salty about the situation. The Young Bucks & Elite built their stock up so high; they now had all leverage. Bucks were getting lofty offers, with perks, and ROH couldn't meet/match their demands/requirements. It was good for the Bucks during this negotiating period; and bad for ROH being missing the boat and being blind to the changes that were happening.

All in all.... It was a pretty good book. Basically took their life from birth; to the formation of AEW. The book concluded with the Bucks rolling the dice; on forming the new company. It was interesting to hear their impressions of their experiences in PWG, TNA, ROH, NJPW & WWE try outs. They certainly had to fight to survive, being taken advantage of, and use their creativity to succeed.