If WCW & ECW Didn't Go Under

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Indynut

If WCW & ECW Didn't Go Under

Post by Indynut »

How would the wrestling would be? Would ROH, TNA, MLW, NWA Power, & AEW have ever started?
kovs27

Re: If WCW & ECW Didn't Go Under

Post by kovs27 »

I mean the easy answer is none of those would exist. ROH certainly wouldn't have because that's what ECW would have become. MLW I doubt exists as they used young talent that ROH was also using plus ECW stars. Well those guys would have been in WCW or ECW. TNA was built in the search for the former WCW viewers who didn't follow to WWE after the purchase so no need for that company. AEW would't be able to get on Turner networks with WCW around nor would there be a need for an alternative to WWE with two still existing. Maybe there could be NWA Power in some other form. The NWA has tried to survive and be relevant since the early 90's. With the advent of the internet and then streaming services it could have given the NWA an outlet to become a fourth option for older stars and much younger wrestler to cut their teeth.

Now obviously if WCW still existed today that means they found a way to right the ship. Odds are it would have happened after their biggest stars contract ran out and they reassessed creative control. It would have taken a long time to rebuild and regain some market share. In all honesty they probably fall behind ECW. In this alternate universe ECW gets the 1.2 million from In Demand that was owed and USA Network decides they still want to air wrestling and move their network into a more edgy direction using ECW as a barometer. Obviously ECW becomes more workrate based with the undercard while still going hardcore as a special attraction. Both would still be miles behind WWE. But now WWE can't move back to USA after their TNN contract is up. This means UFC never ends up on Spike. That means the Ultimate Fighter never airs on that network. Man, this is a hell of a rabbit hole.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Kovs summed it up pretty well. Agree with most everything. WCW turned into TNA, and ECW turned into ROH.

I think both WCW and ECW would continue to struggle a bit too though in 2001. If i recall correctly; ECW lost it's TV deal, and were already in financial strain... from there it would have took more money and time to get them back on another network. WCW had dwindling ratings, and in chaos backstage. They still put up decent ratings from what i recall; and the network wasn't forcing them out. It was their large payroll, with alarming dropping numbers across the board. So something had to give there. ECW and WCW were already losing a good amount of talent to the WWE.

I also find it interesting that people hold WCW and ECW in such high regard, yet strongly hate TNA and to a lesser extent and more recently ROH. WCW and ECW were very important to the history of wrestling, but their legacies weren't that long. WCW lasted 13 years, and you could argue only 3 years they were uber popular. ECW was around for 9 years, and certainly changed the game, but it was "shock" television, and you can go so far with that. Paul Heyman knew ECW had to tone it down for TV... and i think if the money were there, it would have turned more into ROH with a bit edgier storylines.

TNA , although having it's ups and downs have last for 18 years, if you count TNA & Impact. They had a nice run from 2005-2010-ish, but ultimately turned into a poor man's WWE. Can't deny the talent they help build and some great matches/moments in wrestling history. Although never a big as WCW, i think this was the direction WCW would have needed to go, with a overhaul.

And then there's ROH. 18 years... and arguably the most consistent and quality product over that time. Much like ECW, had to constantly battle with losing top talent. Also, slowly building to a TV product; and getting recognized. Arguably the worst part of ROH in 18 years, they really didn't big into the "Major" leagues by doing what AEW is doing. But if you look back at the champions, the legacies, the matches, the shows, it's seriously impressive. I think the wrestling world may be at it's best balance with WWE as the mainstream product, and ROH/NJPW as it's top alternative as each has a different focus. AEW throws an interesting alternative out there for fans. I didn't realize how much wrestling fans wanted a live WWE alternative; although i can understand the challenges with following ROH/NJPW and even impact now.

Time will tell how AEW does. I think they do a lot of things right. Its hard to explain, but i feel like the product isn't exactly for me. Maybe they'll get there. Assuming they survive COVID; and come out of it with momentum.... think that will be the biggest telling sign for the companies future. I kinda wonder if 750K viewers is really "good enough" .... but between international deals, ppvs, streaming, and Merch sales, maybe it works.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Interesting post. As long as WCW remained on TNT and remained with their "low" ratings, they would have been #2, with being a legitimate threat to the WWF. ECW would be "extremely" different now, but as long as they got their finances straight, they would still be a solid #3.

We would have probably never seen the rise of independent wrestling like we did had WCW and ECW remained in business. However, there's always people that think they can run it better and there's always disgruntled employees from the other promotions that would give it a shot.

It sucks that the WWF is the top promotion with no real threat at #2. WCW supplied that. AEW is nice, but they can't even slaughter the WWE #3 brand. Imagine if they went head to head with Raw?
Indynut

Post by Indynut »

You all make valid points. If they were around today and with ROH, TNA, MLW, NWA Power, & AEW sprouting ever since, there would be so many places for many to work for.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Indynut wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:14 am You all make valid points. If they were around today and with ROH, TNA, MLW, NWA Power, & AEW sprouting ever since, there would be so many places for many to work for.
The best thing about the current era is how many places that wrestlers can make a good living and how much content we as wrestling fans have. We have the luxury of picking and choosing which promotions we want to watch rather than being forced to watch 1 giant conglomerate. The best thing that can happen is all the smaller companies beneath WWE and AEW can grab enough market share to be profitable and grow.
Montana

Post by Montana »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:52 pm
It sucks that the WWF is the top promotion with no real threat at #2. WCW supplied that. AEW is nice, but they can't even slaughter the WWE #3 brand. Imagine if they went head to head with Raw?
While i don't disagree... WWE's Raw and SD rating are dropping like a rock now too. WWE has ad advantage when it comes to their huge TV deals, and the fact advisers know it's a well know product. AEW has fight it way to split ad revenue; and fight to get advertisers who want their commercials on a relatively unknown wrestling product.

That being said, i'd probably expect AEW to still get around 750K on Monday, maybe more.... And Raw would be at its 1.5M viewers to start. That 750ish fans seem pretty hardcore and loyal. Raw is so damn boring now though. Part of me actually feels bad, if they are actually trying... which maybe they are. The 3 hours is just sucking the life out of the viewer and you can tell the fan base is shrinking and shrinking.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Many of the biggest stars in indy history would've gotten their paydays much sooner instead of killing themselves in front of dozen or hundreds. ECW had more respect as a talent pool, and I foresee WCW doing business with one of the puro major leagues throughout the 2000s - whether that'd be NJPW again, or NOAH or AJPW, I couldn't say.
BrandonBlosy

-

Post by BrandonBlosy »

In the Desire video about the 48 sec mark there is a clip that shows Vince McMahon in front of a World Championship Wrestling backdrop and then not long after that one of Gorilla Monsoon in front of one. What was that from????
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Montana wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:41 pm WCW had dwindling ratings, and in chaos backstage. They still put up decent ratings from what i recall; and the network wasn't forcing them out. It was their large payroll, with alarming dropping numbers across the board. So something had to give there.
Incorrect - https://wcwnitrobook.com/item/nitro-the ... -paperback
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

100% AOL/TimeWarner was dropping wrestling from their networks. After Bischoff and his group couldn’t get the TV on another network, they stopped pursuing the purchase of WCW.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

More details can be found here too. Just as time-consuming as the Nitro book, and just as thorough from different angles

https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/the- ... i-91226660
https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/the- ... i-91292138.

(On another note: I sent the idea to the Nitro author that hopefully in the same vein as The Last Stand, there could be a documentary mini-series based completely off of the Nitro book, using the same contributors as talking heads. Preferably, I'd want it on HBO Max since it's WarnerMedia and less likely to be influenced by WWE; I could easily see Dwayne Johnson and/or Bill Simmons spearheading the project too.)