Wrestling Report Card

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Montana

Wrestling Report Card

Post by Montana »

Figured I'd share my thoughts on the current companies out there as they stand today.

WWE - C+

I would say i do see they WWE is trying to right the ship. A fair mix of stuff i like / dislike. Extreme Rules was a pretty good PPV. If they can continue this trend, they may move up into a B- range. They still lack male stars, and Brock squashing Seth.... i'm not sure thats the best direction. EIther way, they've got tons of talent, they just need to figure out how to use them properly. I'm also digging most of the 24/7 stuff. R-Truth and Drake are awesome. I'm really not digging all the Seth/Becky stuff too. But again, it's near impossible to like everything, especially with WWE.

NXT B+

I know people love takeovers, and feel NXT is the best product out there, and they do a lot of what fans want. What i like in the fresh roster, with new faces every so often. Some new/great exciting matches. Takeover feel like big events. I dislike, that all the takeovers feel the same. I don't necessarily like a opening or second match on a card is 20 minutes. It will be interesting if WWE uses NXT as a 3rd/4th brand in the future. I still like it's odd being guys like Roddy / Gargano /Cole , etc in the "developmental" brand. Think they'll need to sort that out, especially if they move to fox.

AEW B+

They do a lot of things very well... The marketing and hype is outstanding. The development of characters is A+. The shows are pretty good. The hype packages and website are very good. Reason for rating a B+ right now, is that it's still early with AEW. I'm sure All Out will be good, but the piece i'm skeptical on is 2 hours live weekly on TNT. Part of me, think it will be very good to start, but could see struggles with ratings. Probably has most potential to get up to A, if things go well for AEW.

ROH - B-

This is probably the hardest the grade, as they are my personal favorite, but yet some noticeable flaws. The majority of fans dislike the booking, personally im OK with it, but don't love it. They are in a rebuild year, which some fans don't want to accept. But yeah, i think they've put on some really good shows this year. Some good feuds, good matches. They take the product seriously... but they always need to further invest in themselves. I also like the balance between ROH's 70% wrestling vs. 30% Entertainment. The water is getting choppy, and ROH will need to navigate a evolving wrestling climate.

NJPW - B

I try to balance my opinions, plus the vast majority of folks... but this is another hard one to grade. They get A+ for wrestling, but doesn't feel like a weekly episodic wrestling program. What i mean by that, personally i like more storyline/entertainment than what NJPW provides to me. Plus some of the undercard matches feel pointless. But again, great promotion for great wrestling.

Evolve C

Another company i wish i could rate higher, but they are in a weird transition phase, with a lot of new talent coming in. Love JD Drake and Anthony Henry, in the ring. They had some good new signing. Have need to use NXT as a crutch, but looks like they may be weening off it now. A+ for work rate... again probably another one of my favorite wrestling companies... they just lack talent/depth.

Impact C+

Impact is making a comeback, and i don't watch a whole lot of their program, but seems like they are making good signings, and re-focusing their product. I think the legacy of TNA in a way hurts and helps them. THey've got a nice roster, but they'll have a problem keeping talent, much like ROH/MLW.

MLW - B-

I'm liking the product/presentation...and mix of wrestling/entertainment. but not sold on the long term success they will have. Seems like they are getting all the talent that has a bad reputation. They've done a good job with less. We'll see with Fatu as champ, see how they works out for them long term.

NWA - C-

I think they can get to where they want to go, but they need to grow their roster and build a main show. Do they even have a main wrestling show... and if it's championship wrestling from Hollywood, than it needs to improve. I like the Drake, Storm, Colt , Aldis, Kay ... they just need more. Running Angles/main matches on ROH, i'm not sure thats the best long term look.

I don't follow the other companies enough to rate. As you can see , a lot of good-great wrestling now. What are your ratings?
kovs27

Re: Wrestling Report Card

Post by kovs27 »

I'll just comment on the companies I currently watch.

AEW: I'd say B. I don't want to be too critical of certain aspects of setting up matches or match quality because it's still so early for them. I don't feel it's fair to judge until they have a few months of tv under their belts. The shows have been fine. They just don't have anything going on right now that makes me look forward to their next event.

ROH: B- I share the same sentiment as Montana that ROH has a soft spot in my heart so I go easier on them than some other companies. I have enjoyed Tavens rise to the championship and the combination of his desperation to keep the title by any means necessary and to prove that he is better than Jay Lethal. I don't think ROH emphasizes these issues enough. Since I don't want to type a long essay of things that could be improved I'll just use two: Continues to make things feel important. The little interview segments with Jeff Cobb before his title match with Taven made the match feel bigger. So did the empty arena segments with Lethal/Taven/Scurll before MSG. More matches need to feel important, a sense of urgency in ROH. A more minor complaint, less matches changed to a street fight. I just feel every show has at least one. Let's wrestle some clean matches for a while.

NJPW- B+ The only reason I don't give an A is because the main event scene besides Okada just feels messy. He's beaten everyone and if they are having him win the G1 to call out Omega to wrestle at WrestleKingdom, eh...it'll be an awesome match but it's hard to get excited for a match you know Okada will win. NJPW has done a great job in growing Ospreay, Shingo and Moxley so far this year.

Impact: B+ The only complaint I have with Impact is sometimes their feuds run a little long. They only have 4 major shows now and that is where they want feuds to end. I feel they have ended feuds very well and transitioned to new stories with ease. The Cage/Elgin angle was really good as was anything with Johnny Impact. He's quietly had a fantastic year as a character. I do with the Rascals could have gotten the big win over LAX before LAX left but I'm sure they'll eventually beat the North. And for the record I have had access to every tv channel they ahve moved to. Thanks Directv!!!

MLW: B The show is an easy watch and they don't do anything complicated. The Harts vs. Dynasty feud is very entertaining even if the matches aren't great. I'm not as high on Jacob Fatu as others and didn't think Lawlor should have lost the title so quickly after taking forever to win it but I haven't seen Fatu wrestle a real match yet. I haven't seen Lawlor/Fatu yet. It's the next episode for me to watch.

NWA - C It feels like they have lost some momentum since Aldis/Scurll and losing Willie Mack. I like their working agreement with ROH but I'd like to see them record more content elsewhere like they had in years prior. The Briscoes vs. NWA feud has been good. I just feel a little less excited about the brand as a whole the past couple months.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

WWE: I don't watch them at all unless a match/segment gets rave reviews

AEW: Still need to watch the last couple shows so N/A

ROH: B - I have enjoyed every show this year but there are some glaring holes in the product. WOH division seems to be perpetually in the second stage of a 10 stage rebuild.

NJPW: B - I am less and less a fan of all of these overlong tournaments the longer I watch NJPW. There are still many great matches to watch but honestly it sometimes feels like a chore to watch enough NJPW to justify my NJPW World subscription. The big shows are still killer.

Evolve: haven't watched them in years

Impact: I don't watch enough to grade but what I have seen recently has been much better than the previous few years. I don't bother with Twitch and I don't have Pursuit, but if they got back on a channel I have I'd probably add them back to the DVR schedule at least.

MLW: B- -consistently good, simple wrestling. A little basic at points and I have doubts about Bauer's financials, but I can't really fault the product right now.

NWA: not a real wrestling promotion. They should just put it out of its misery and let their few assets be used by actual wrestling promotions.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Cool thread, Montana! I'm going to grade below every promotion with respect to how I think they should be achieving.

ROH: B
In terms of building, rebuilding, and shuffling talent, this year has been a revelation for considering how I used to look at SBG ROH before it became the Bullet Club promotion. Obviously the business doesn't reflect a better overall year, but they've really nailed the strata of talent just below the top star level. If they ever learn how to make stars, ROH could easily be among the best promotions in the States.

AEW: A
I'm not that passionate about what they do, but they excel at generating positive social media feedback, which right now is the business space I think they operate in. The wrestling has also mostly been pretty good and they've succeeded in pushing a handful of relative unknowns to a level that now generates interest for them. (Also, we're still in pre-season mode so a grade right now means nothing to what it means like six months from now.)

NJPW: A
The wrestling is really, really good, the interviews are good, they aren't compromised by a TV show, they are pulling off a shitload of goal-shifting moves all in the same year, most of the talent have concentrated opportunities to show they're among the best in the world. I have some nitpicks about who the title holders should be, but you could do worse than having your top stars having the top belts.

Dragon Gate: B-
I've only watched a bit of them this year, but I want to watch more. PAC has more presence than anyone else today and they've finally managed to develop a non-Toryumon top star in Ben-K. They're in a good spot to grow again after some uncomfortable years.

WWE: F
Money mark promotion for Vision 2030 and Shane McMahon. Dissolve them and disperse their amazing talent to other promotions.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Updates from July 2019 to OCT 19:

WWE Was : C+
WWE Now : C+

They've done some good things lately, unfortunately they've done some just as bad things as well. Especially the Rollins/Fiend F up.

NXT Was : B+
NXT Now : B

Great Wrestling on NXT Live on USA, but something isn't clicking for me just yet. I need more than just great wrestling on a wrestling show : )

AEW Was B+
AEW Now : A-

So far, i'm really enjoying AEW Dynamite, and really like the "feel" of the show. Despite a very heavy wrestling product on the show, it has a good mix of storylines, and building characters with the product.

ROH Was : B-
ROH Now : B-

I feel like ROH is on thin ice. Don't F it up.

NJPW Was : B
NJPW Now : B

Great Wrestling... i just prefer a more rounded product. But love the wrestling.

Evolve Was: C
Evolve Now: C

Despite the grade not moving up, i'm liking that Evolve is snatching up some new talent the past few months. Its a step in the right direction.

MLW Was: B-
MLW Now : B

I was back and forth with going all the way up to a B+. They do so much, with so much less! Money/talent aside, i think the MLW show may be my favorite hour of wrestling during the week. Again, this could change at any moment, and i'm not fully invested in MLW, but like the feel of the promotion.

Impact Was : C+
Impact Now : C

Ironically i get to watch more impact now, but sometimes that's not always a good thing. I think they do some things right, and are doing a good job righting the ship.... I just can't help but think their biggest show of the year BFG, and nothing i'm that excited for/care about. Not to mention their need to use intergender wrestling and sex appeal to be relevant.

NWA Was C-
NWA Now C

The TV / Youtube show came out better than i thought. Haven't watched episode 2 yet, and could see the novelty wearing out soon, but i like the concept of what they are doing.
Montana

Post by Montana »

WWE Was: C+
WWE Now: B-

I know WWE is far from perfect; i enjoy when at least WWE tries to improve to their product. The Tribal Chief and Uso's storyline has been very good. I've enjoyed the thunderdome atmosphere. Although the retribution storyline missed the mark; I've enjoyed followed it I like to see Dijak or T-Bar in a major role in WWE. They still stick to their guns with the "same ole" format though. Again, probably lots to nit pick here too; but i try and focus on the good.

NXT Was B
NXT Now: B

I enjoy the NXT product; but their still missing that unique-ness to truly make it special. Seems like someone like Cole and undisputed Era should have been called up a long time ago. Now stuck in NXT with this "war' they are in. They other part of the problem... is WWE was plucking way too many indy guys for a while; and now your seeing those second tier indy guys like Priest, Swerve, Lumis, Jake Atlas; who haven't really gathered a big following yet. With no more Evolve; WWE may need to scout a bit better from here on out. (Or focus on buying out AEW talent)

AEW Was A-
AEW Now A-

Dynamite has still been great; and maybe getting better. Although historically every promo's first 5 years seem to be their biggest/best years. Majority i am liking i am seeing; with a few nit pick type stuff here and there.

ROH Was B-
ROH Now B

Don't get me wrong; i really enjoyed the ROH shows , pre-covid; But seems like this pause / reset was a good break. They didn't improve their HonorClub or Website; to the level of quality ; i'd quite like just yet; but at least they are adding the Back Catalogue. The Pure Tournament is a great re-start to the company. The presentation and production is much improved. They've been adding better/more regular content to YT. Can't wait for the full- regular ROH shows to resume; but so far so good. (plus the fans response has been positive to the tournament)

NJPW : No Change

I just have a hard time following other than results.

Impact Was C
Impact Now B-

Adding a slew of former WWE talent, only helps. They still don't have the best men's roster in the roster in the world; but they put together a pretty solid show. I've been enjoying them over the pandemic.

NWA = Not rating them
MLW: Not rating them
Evolve ; Dead