MLW Fusion

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
famicommander

Re: MLW Fusion

Post by famicommander »

indyfan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:43 am so does this company produce must see matches?
Not really.

In the early days MLW was an ECW ripoff.
Then it became an ROH ripoff when it got revived.
Now it seems to be trending towards a Lucha Underground ripoff.

The result is sometimes they produce very good matches but usually nothing that truly stands out as special. MLW lacks their own unique identity; Court is very much just imitating things he's seen in other promotions. He does a decent but not great job of copying the feel of those promotions.

The draw of MLW is that Court seems to find good talent before the other major promoters. He had guys like Darby Allin, MJF, Brody King, etc before they were on the radar for ROH or AEW. And current guys like The Von Erichs, Jacob Fatu, Richard Holliday, and Alexander Hammerstone seem to be destined for big things.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

MLW took down some full episodes on YT & its of course the ones i was interested in watching.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Shanahan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:59 am MLW took down some full episodes on YT & its of course the ones i was interested in watching.
Recent ones or older ones?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:02 pm
Shanahan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:59 am MLW took down some full episodes on YT & its of course the ones i was interested in watching.
Looks like Fusion episodes 117, 125, 126, and 128.

Seems like a pretty random selection to be missing. Could be they had some sort of censorship, sponsorship, or music rights issue and had to take a few down. Might have got demonetized for saying "shit" too much or something. It has happened in the past with a handful of episodes and they eventually reuploaded them later.

All the rest of Fusion and every episode of Underground and MLW Anthology they've uploaded so far is still there.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

famicommander wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:39 pm

Seems like a pretty random selection to be missing. Could be they had some sort of censorship, sponsorship, or music rights issue and had to take a few down. Might have got demonetized for saying "shit" too much or something. It has happened in the past with a handful of episodes and they eventually reuploaded them later.

All the rest of Fusion and every episode of Underground and MLW Anthology they've uploaded so far is still there.
I was on ep 127. 128 looked interesting.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

In other news, BeIn Sports will be taking a massive hit. LaLiga (Spain soccer) is leaving for ESPN networks.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2021/05/11/ ... y-sources/
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:01 pm In other news, BeIn Sports will be taking a massive hit. LaLiga (Spain soccer) is leaving for ESPN networks.

Final Nail in the Coffin. Ligue 1 & Copa Libertadores won't be enough to hold on. Wouldn't be surprised to see Both go to ESPN+ or Paramount+.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Shanahan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:01 pm In other news, BeIn Sports will be taking a massive hit. LaLiga (Spain soccer) is leaving for ESPN networks.

Final Nail in the Coffin. Ligue 1 & Copa Libertadores won't be enough to hold on. Wouldn't be surprised to see Both go to ESPN+ or Paramount+.
BeIn will try to live on with Ligue 1. PSG and BeIn are tied together. Guess we will be seeing more Turkish SuperLig next season lol. I don’t know what else they can realistically get on that channel. I could see more cable systems dropping them now. Definitely not something MLW would want to continue a relationship with.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

MLW draft round 1 results

Returning:
Mil Muertes
Von Erichs
Gino Medino

New signees:
Davey Richards
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Anyone else worried that music rights could become an issue with MLW and AEW for their long term libraries?

When I hear the Von Erichs come out to Ted Nugent or Jungle Boy and Moxley come out to their licensed songs, all I can think about is the people who own those songs coming knocking in 15 years and whatever streaming service that has these matches having to pull them down and chop them up or dub them over.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:08 am Anyone else worried that music rights could become an issue with MLW and AEW for their long term libraries?

When I hear the Von Erichs come out to Ted Nugent or Jungle Boy and Moxley come out to their licensed songs, all I can think about is the people who own those songs coming knocking in 15 years and whatever streaming service that has these matches having to pull them down and chop them up or dub them over.
I believe AEW actually acquired the right to use those songs legally. Can they replay those songs on a streaming service is another question. MLW usually uses knockoffs of real songs, you can tell what the song should be but it technically isn't that song.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

kovs27 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:03 pm
famicommander wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:08 am Anyone else worried that music rights could become an issue with MLW and AEW for their long term libraries?

I believe AEW actually acquired the right to use those songs legally. Can they replay those songs on a streaming service is another question. MLW usually uses knockoffs of real songs, you can tell what the song should be but it technically isn't that song.
The Von Erichs are straight up using Stranglehold. It could be a special deal the family has with Ted because Kevin used to use it and Lacey is currently using it in SWE Fury.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:16 pm
kovs27 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:03 pm

The Von Erichs are straight up using Stranglehold. It could be a special deal the family has with Ted because Kevin used to use it and Lacey is currently using it in SWE Fury.
If it is the real song then maybe it is a special deal. The couple times I saw MLW live a lot of other guys used knockoffs. I don't remember what the Von Erichs came out to at the Philly tv taping.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

famicommander wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:39 pm

I looked up who was on all those cards of the episodes they pulled and guess who? Mil Muertes.

On the MLW Open Draft he was referred to as "King Muertes".

I think the guys who hold the Lucha Underground trademarks gave ol' Court a phone call or a threatening letter.

Of course, Filthy Island is still up so I'm not sure what is going on there. But it can't be a coincidence that Muertes wrestled on every card they pulled, then they changed his name. Probably just an oversight that Filthy Island got left up.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Round 2 results

New signing: Alex Kane

Returning: King Mo, Tom Lawlor, Gringo Loco

I have legitimately never heard of Alex Kane and he isn't even listed on Cagematch. I guess Davey Richards is the only name they got?

Good that Lawlor is returning and Gringo is fine, but King Mo sucks and I wish he'd go away.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:34 pm Round 2 results

New signing: Alex Kane

Returning: King Mo, Tom Lawlor, Gringo Loco

I have legitimately never heard of Alex Kane and he isn't even listed on Cagematch. I guess Davey Richards is the only name they got?

Good that Lawlor is returning and Gringo is fine, but King Mo sucks and I wish he'd go away.
Viceland: Let’s build some excitement going into the “new season” of MLW in July.

MLW: Say no more! Gringo Loco, King Mo, and Alex Kane in the 2nd round of some draft we’re doing!!!!!!
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Makes very little sense that Jacob Fatu hasn't been "drafted" since he's the champ and he's on the poster for the return show.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:58 pm Makes very little sense that Jacob Fatu hasn't been "drafted" since he's the champ and he's on the poster for the return show.
Right. He should have been the number 1 pick.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

This draft shit is so dumb. I have never heard of Alex Kane. Seems like Lambert is now booking MLW. Getting all his guys in.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Maybe Fatu is ineligible because he is part of Contra? This whole draft thing doesn't malt sense. I know it's just a way for them to kill time and announce who is on the roster to potential new viewers but it's still weird.