All Elite Wrestling Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Wilson

All Elite Wrestling Thread

Post by Wilson »

This will probably be migrated to the other board some time, but in the coming months this is the center to talk about the news of the new company and talent struggle between the major US promotions.
AlexROH wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:44 am So AEW is a reality and they will give New details about their first PPV, double or nothing, on January 8th.

Key points being reported by Meltzer:
-Cody signed, Bucks have not signed yet but could in next 24-48
-There are TV offers on the table
-Some TV execs were very impressed with All In & BTE, got attention in TV world
-The contracts are multi year offers
(1/2)
-And the big key, real money will be offered between AEW, ROH who has already won a few bidding wars, WWE. There is real competition for the first time since WCW closed. This will be great for talent. "All of the guys you're thinking are in talks"
One more big scoop from dave. AEW wants a NJPW relationship. From NJPW's end, that's "up in the air" and not a sure thing.

That could have massive ripple effects.

This, for me, looks like AEW really wants to be the Big fish in US under WWE, that means, 0 Friends with ROH
WebConn

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread

Post by WebConn »

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I know there's another thread in OT, but people were talking about it in the Random Thoughts thread here.

Also, it now seems pretty official that the Young Bucks and Page are signed to AEW.
https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/ ... 6619192321
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Listen to this week's Voices of Wrestling Flagship, as it addresses some scoops/rumors I'd gotten beforehand.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

All Elite Wrestling, Ring of Honor, and New Japan are scheduled to meet in hopes of working together in the future.

Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer reports that AEW, ROH and NJPW officials will meet after Wrestle Kingdom to discuss a working relationship moving forward. ROH and NJPW currently have a working relationship and are set to hold a joint Supercard event at Madison Square Garden in April.

Meltzer says that his "strong impression" is that all three want to work together, but political issues could get in the way. He says a working relationship between the three
Montana

Post by Montana »

Personally i think AEW should be discussed in other wrestling, but wanted to give my 2 cents on a 3 way working relationship.

Personally i think right now, if i'm ROH & NJPW why help AEW get off the ground?? There are so many variables at play, and really a strategic chess match for the upcoming success of these companies. Most of my opinions are based on rumors, and whatnot...but if i were to believe that AEW has the most money, and potentially major TV offers, It could make sense to work with them for the exposure. On the other hand if your ROH/NJPW , AEW may have just piggybacked their way into the #2 promotion, without doing anything. AEW may really need ROH/NJPW talent to create their vision. Ex-WWE cast offs, may not bring the attention to the promotion they want.

At the end of the day, i think ROH/NJPW should take a wait and see approach with AEW. They've already raided their rosters/internally with wrestling bonding together. If AEW can get a major TV deal on their own, then maybe it makes sense to get back into bed with them. If not, and let's say they are basically ROH V2.0 , and some random channel, and have similar schedules/visibility then it wouldn't really matter, one way or the other. Maybe ROH and NJPW hates what AEW is doing and wants it to fail. Either way, i think AEW needs ROH/NJPW more than the other way around. I got a feeling AEW doesn't have any many wrestlers up their sleeves, as the rumors may want you to think. Also their TV deals aren't as good as people think. I can't fathom why a major TV network would give them, not only a shot, but prime time slot.

Does AEW have a ace up their sleeve with someone like Jericho or Punk? To me, Bill Goldberg is not an ace, and could potentially ruin the promotion, if used like he's been used historically. Sure, he'll help with a TV deal, and get eyeballs on the product, but him going to AEW feels like a TNA move for sure. I will say AEW seems to be really good at marketing and promoting. Social media, twitter beefs, all that stuff.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Montana wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:39 pm Personally i think AEW should be discussed in other wrestling, but wanted to give my 2 cents on a 3 way working relationship.

Personally i think right now, if i'm ROH & NJPW why help AEW get off the ground?? There are so many variables at play, and really a strategic chess match for the upcoming success of these companies. Most of my opinions are based on rumors, and whatnot...but if i were to believe that AEW has the most money, and potentially major TV offers, It could make sense to work with them for the exposure. On the other hand if your ROH/NJPW , AEW may have just piggybacked their way into the #2 promotion, without doing anything. AEW may really need ROH/NJPW talent to create their vision. Ex-WWE cast offs, may not bring the attention to the promotion they want.

At the end of the day, i think ROH/NJPW should take a wait and see approach with AEW. They've already raided their rosters/internally with wrestling bonding together. If AEW can get a major TV deal on their own, then maybe it makes sense to get back into bed with them. If not, and let's say they are basically ROH V2.0 , and some random channel, and have similar schedules/visibility then it wouldn't really matter, one way or the other. Maybe ROH and NJPW hates what AEW is doing and wants it to fail. Either way, i think AEW needs ROH/NJPW more than the other way around. I got a feeling AEW doesn't have any many wrestlers up their sleeves, as the rumors may want you to think. Also their TV deals aren't as good as people think. I can't fathom why a major TV network would give them, not only a shot, but prime time slot.

Does AEW have a ace up their sleeve with someone like Jericho or Punk? To me, Bill Goldberg is not an ace, and could potentially ruin the promotion, if used like he's been used historically. Sure, he'll help with a TV deal, and get eyeballs on the product, but him going to AEW feels like a TNA move for sure. I will say AEW seems to be really good at marketing and promoting. Social media, twitter beefs, all that stuff.
All of this. If I were NJPW and especially ROH, I'd be REALLY f*cking pissed with the AEW guys right now, and even more pissed that I really couldn't say anything about it out loud.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

The Khan statement is certainly something.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Both Shad Khan and Tony Khan have released statements on what fans can expect from All Elite Wrestling (AEW), which will officially launch today with a rally in Jacksonville, Florida.

SHAD KHAN STATEMENT ON AEW: “I am the lead investor, a supporter and a backer of All Elite Wrestling, and I anticipate great things today and into the future for AEW and everyone who has worked passionately on this week’s launch. I know AEW will be welcomed by wrestling fans here in the U.S. and throughout the world who are ready for something new and authentic. AEW will work hard to deliver on that promise.

As important, I am the father – the proud father – of Tony Khan, who will serve in a leadership role at AEW during the 2019 launch and in the years ahead. Tony will assemble a great team to take AEW over the top, for the benefit of everyone who loves the wrestling industry, while continuing to serve in his current capacities with the Jaguars and Fulham.

AEW will operate as an organization completely independently from my other interests. It will not deter attention or divert resources from any of my businesses, teams, projects or investments. At the same time, AEW will enjoy the same full commitment I given to everything and everyone in my life – my family and friends, my business and, in recent years, to sports, hospitality and now entertainment.”

TONY KHAN STATEMENT ON AEW: “Wrestling fans are a community unlike most others. I’ve been a part of this community since I was 7 years old, and I can tell you that wresting fans see the world every day through a special lens. We see wrestling in Hollywood films and tv shows, we see elements of wrestling in the presentation of sports and in the marketing of grandiose star athletes, and we certainly see wrestling in politics.

The wrestling community is a constant; its members are diverse, we are physically located on all corners of the planet, yet we are constantly connected. Recently, a new family has formed, bonded by love and respect for wresting but armed with a vision and resources that have never before been available to the wrestling community. Our objective is to connect our community closer than ever before through All Elite Wrestling, or AEW.

AEW does not mean any less of a continued commitment to existing obligations and duties that I have, or my family has, to our business and sports interests. That will never be the case. What’s important is that every individual decision we make as family, whether it’s ownership or investment in a team or property, is 100 percent beneficial to those specific interests. I will always welcome that accountability and responsibility, as nothing is more important than serving our supporters and friends.

AEW will launch with a roster of the top wrestlers in the world. While they’ll clash in what will be some of the most intense and fast-paced contests ever sanctioned in the squared circle, they’ll also share a common goal: to make this the true golden age, to make this the greatest time ever to be a wrestling fan. Likewise, as a business, by treating our wrestlers with respect and warmth, we also seek to make this the golden age for the performers themselves.

I urge everyone who believes in what we’re doing, or wants to believe in dreams coming true, to support AEW by spreading the word and passing the wrestling bug onto someone else. My message: Get in on the ground floor with AEW today and help lead our movement to grow the wrestling community and ensure that the voices of the wrestling fans, their creative minds and their remarkable ideas, will always be heard.”
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

1. AEW has a partnership with CIMA and OWE to bring Chinese talents to AEW
2. May 25, 2019. Las Vegas, NV. MGM Grand Garden Arena Double or Nothing.
3. AEW will have a women's division - Britt Baker announced as the first member of the AEW women's division -
women will get the same equal pay as the men on the roster
4.Joey Janela and MJF are All Elite.
5. PAC is All Elite
6. Second AEW Show will be in Jacksonville, FL.
7. Chris Jericho is All Elite
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Apart from OWE theres nothing really surprising and it all seems about what I thought.

MJF guts me as he really is something special, but hes getting that big stage which is great.

It will interesting to see where this lands everyone in the next few months as will NJPW want to use Jericho again after Tanahashi, will they get it donw before May. Will they have an interest in PAC etc.

Apparently they want to change the 'Universe'

There is an air of this being way to perfect, which I Imagined could happen (Equal pay I think is a fanciful notion in reality) but we will see, it's interesting starting point but nothing i'm really shocked about.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Interesting that PAC has his Dragon Gate belt with him.

Dragon Gate maybe working with AEW?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:56 pm Interesting that PAC has his Dragon Gate belt with him.

Dragon Gate maybe working with AEW?
I am not the most well versed in Japanese wrestling relationships but I believe OWE and Dragon Gate aren't on great terms. They may not want talent mixing. Obviously they aren't in the same position as NJPW to force those desires.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

So PAC lose DreamGate title soon could be happen.
Leave DG make more time for AEW.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

"Worth saying about OWE/CIMA/STH/DGI and DGE/PAC/Dragon Gate proper: a lot of the bad blood has cooled over the last few months"
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

Cody and the Bucks did hint that All In 2/Double or Nothing would be in Vegas after the ROH TV tapings here. I'm glad that came true, but the MGM Grand Garden is an expensive venue, as Strip locations tend to be.

OWE is also partnered with local company Future Stars of Wrestling, so this might be big for the local talent.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

There was a little something floating around yesterday, someone had spoken to an official of OWE yesterday and were told a couple of bits. like that these are the associate promotions for AEW,

PWG, OWE, DDT, Wrestle 1 and AAA

If that is true, I can't see New Japan going with AEW not with AAA involved it would be too much hassle for them I'm sure, I think there is just going to have to be a working agreement for Omega and Jericho if possible. It will be interesting if MLW are involved in anyway because if CMLL have any pull on how RUSH books himself in America it will be difficult for them to be associated with another promotion working with AAA.

If those promotions are true you can certainly tell the wrestlers coming in, Sammy Guevara being one of them which again would be a massive shame, mainly for ROH.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I'd imagine with Janela involved GCW would be a partner probably will work with Highspots too. Could see AEW involved with both Wrestlecon's live events and the Joey Janela Spring Break cards on WM weekend.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

it would be a shame for roh if aew sponsor work visas for people like the Super Smash Brothers for example.