All Elite Wrestling Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
dhads7161

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread

Post by dhads7161 »

I think in ROH a lot of it was the ring. 18×18 really isn't built for big guys. We've seen Martinez and Dijak and K. Lee do some amazing things in an independent ring but they always seemed awkward in it. Cobb suffers from this too.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Luchasaurus and Cobb had a real good match early this year on ROH tv. That being said the match was basically just hitting big moves on each other until Cobb won. I think Luchasaurus is better presented in multiman matches to help hide his weaknesses. A battle royal is perfect for that. Let's see how he fairs in more one on one competition.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

He is very Indy in his style and certainly needs a type of match to get him over and keep him there, like Kavs says Multiman's are his best bet, he seems to need too much time to do everything and it all ends up feeling so obvious and constructed.

As an ROH fan I don't want him near the product, but I think he does fit in with what AEW are doing too a point, it will be interesting to see if he turns into anything more than a Gif wrestler. ROH needs to look at the Greshams, Castle's of this world and in the end will stand out and have better match quality.
renegatus

Post by renegatus »

Wilson wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:07 am Not to sound millenarian about where they're headed, but I expect ROH to take a pretty serious backseat in American wrestling for a whole host of reasons. ROH will probably take it on the chin and keep plugging away, and most people will forget about the serious attendance gains they had from 2017-2018.

I'm not really enthusiastic core people in the elite, so I don't know why I was so surprised by how lifeless I thought the main event matches from Double or Nothing were. The general response so far to the has been this befuddling cocktail of positive feedback while never still never claiming it to be anything above a solid showing. In terms of wrestling or pacing out a PPV, there are probably only a few ROH PPVs from the past few years I wouldn't recommend over this. It felt every bit of 4+ hours, and it straddled this style between NJPW and WWE (makes sense) that never struck a chord with me.
There's an slight overrating of Double or Nothing based on its buzz and novelty, but the 3 matches at the top of the card were all solid-excellent matches, so it surprises me you'd use something as vague as "lifeless" to describe them.

Dustin Cody was exactly the kind of match we don't get enough of as wrestling fans anymore. It had a clear story, engaged the fans, had athletic feats and near falls, without using them as a crutch, and unlike a lot of "work-rate" matches nowadays, it didn't outstay its welcome. I'd be surprised if it didn't go down as AEW's MOTY, and make it into the top 5 overall MOTY rankings.

Lucha Bros/Bucks does not suit my personal preference for wrestling, but I'm struggling to think of a tag team other than LAX who could rival those guys as the best tag team in the world right now. Crisp fluid and athletic. Great viewing.

As for Jericho/Omega, I see a lot of people saying it wasn't as good as Alpha Omega 1, but I disagree. It was way more palatable in front of a hot US crowd - nothing against Japanese crowds, but they're much more respectful, and don't tend to enhance the spectacle. I personally thought Jericho moved and wrestled a lot more fluently than the first outing, and again, the match went back and forth without outstaying its welcome.

And then the post match reveal - now while Jon Moxley isn't the biggest name they could have got, his introduction was done perfectly, and the end of big match swerve is another staple of pro-wrestling that has been missing for too long.

I am sure AEW will have its issues and the IWC will start to tire of it and start nit-picking once the initial buzz wears off, but they seem to have a bit of everything match wise, and I'd encourage you to stay open-minded and positive towards them! It won't necessarily adversely affect ROH - hopefully they'll have to step up their game and invest a bit more!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Spoke with the Sears Centre Arena and was told to monitor for more All Out ticket info to become available.

Regular groups seats are highly unlikely, so it's looking like it'll be a suite option. IIRC a suite ticket was $90 last year.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

supersonic wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 am Spoke with the Sears Centre Arena and was told to monitor for more All Out ticket info to become available.

Regular groups seats are highly unlikely, so it's looking like it'll be a suite option. IIRC a suite ticket was $90 last year.
Are you going to go or just secure the suite and sell the tickets?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Just securing the suite.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

renegatus wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:45 am
Wilson wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:07 am Not to sound millenarian about where they're headed, but I expect ROH to take a pretty serious backseat in American wrestling for a whole host of reasons. ROH will probably take it on the chin and keep plugging away, and most people will forget about the serious attendance gains they had from 2017-2018.

I'm not really enthusiastic core people in the elite, so I don't know why I was so surprised by how lifeless I thought the main event matches from Double or Nothing were. The general response so far to the has been this befuddling cocktail of positive feedback while never still never claiming it to be anything above a solid showing. In terms of wrestling or pacing out a PPV, there are probably only a few ROH PPVs from the past few years I wouldn't recommend over this. It felt every bit of 4+ hours, and it straddled this style between NJPW and WWE (makes sense) that never struck a chord with me.
There's an slight overrating of Double or Nothing based on its buzz and novelty, but the 3 matches at the top of the card were all solid-excellent matches, so it surprises me you'd use something as vague as "lifeless" to describe them.

Dustin Cody was exactly the kind of match we don't get enough of as wrestling fans anymore. It had a clear story, engaged the fans, had athletic feats and near falls, without using them as a crutch, and unlike a lot of "work-rate" matches nowadays, it didn't outstay its welcome. I'd be surprised if it didn't go down as AEW's MOTY, and make it into the top 5 overall MOTY rankings.

Lucha Bros/Bucks does not suit my personal preference for wrestling, but I'm struggling to think of a tag team other than LAX who could rival those guys as the best tag team in the world right now. Crisp fluid and athletic. Great viewing.

As for Jericho/Omega, I see a lot of people saying it wasn't as good as Alpha Omega 1, but I disagree. It was way more palatable in front of a hot US crowd - nothing against Japanese crowds, but they're much more respectful, and don't tend to enhance the spectacle. I personally thought Jericho moved and wrestled a lot more fluently than the first outing, and again, the match went back and forth without outstaying its welcome.

And then the post match reveal - now while Jon Moxley isn't the biggest name they could have got, his introduction was done perfectly, and the end of big match swerve is another staple of pro-wrestling that has been missing for too long.

I am sure AEW will have its issues and the IWC will start to tire of it and start nit-picking once the initial buzz wears off, but they seem to have a bit of everything match wise, and I'd encourage you to stay open-minded and positive towards them! It won't necessarily adversely affect ROH - hopefully they'll have to step up their game and invest a bit more!
That's a super in-depth read on the show! My thoughts on the show were predicated on my general vexation of the Elite during their Ring of Honor run and that I was pretty fresh off a viewing from the awesome Korakuen Best of the Junior shows. For as much as the Young Bucks, Cody, and Kenny like to deconstruct wrestling culture in their online sketch shows, I sort of expected something fresh on their first produced show, and what I saw in their main events felt like a New Japan-lite match following a PWG-lite match as the chaser to WWE-lite match. I know I'm the odd one out, I've read several reviews of the show, but I just thought the show was fine. What matters is that their fanbase really dug it and came out with buzz.

My hope out of this show is that they start plugging Dustin into Jericho's place sooner rather than later because he looked incredible out there. If there was anything that Triple H-esque performance from Cody pulled, it was making his brother look like he has years left in him.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Wilson wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:24 am
renegatus wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:45 am
That's a super in-depth read on the show! My thoughts on the show were predicated on my general vexation of the Elite during their Ring of Honor run and that I was pretty fresh off a viewing from the awesome Korakuen Best of the Junior shows. For as much as the Young Bucks, Cody, and Kenny like to deconstruct wrestling culture in their online sketch shows, I sort of expected something fresh on their first produced show, and what I saw in their main events felt like a New Japan-lite match following a PWG-lite match as the chaser to WWE-lite match. I know I'm the odd one out, I've read several reviews of the show, but I just thought the show was fine. What matters is that their fanbase really dug it and came out with buzz.

My hope out of this show is that they start plugging Dustin into Jericho's place sooner rather than later because he looked incredible out there. If there was anything that Triple H-esque performance from Cody pulled, it was making his brother look like he has years left in him.
I'm with your 100% about Double or Nothing. Like I said in the other AEW thread I enjoyed the show but it really didn't feel like anything special. The biggest accomplishment was getting me to enjoy a Cody match.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

I'm a big ROH fan. But cmon guys. That AEW show was WAY better than most ROH PPVs. The crowd was electric all night. ROH doesn't give the fans what they want, so their crowds are NEVER like that. ROH lately does stuff like WWE does, push Matt Taven and Kenny King, tone deaf things that just don't feel natural at all. Especially lately, it's REALLY bad. With New Japan slowly backing away from ROH more and more, I'd predict that ROH is going to really fall off in the next few months. Might as well hop on the AEW train now, guys. It's not getting any better for ROH.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

kovs27 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:35 am I'm with your 100% about Double or Nothing. Like I said in the other AEW thread I enjoyed the show but it really didn't feel like anything special. The biggest accomplishment was getting me to enjoy a Cody match.
I read you on the other thread and breathed a sigh of relief that I wasn't the only one. I don't begrudge them for doing a four hour plus show given that it was a debut show at a steep price, but it really works against my attention bandwidth for whatever investment I have.
alexsmellzzz wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:48 pm I'm a big ROH fan. But cmon guys. That AEW show was WAY better than most ROH PPVs. The crowd was electric all night. ROH doesn't give the fans what they want, so their crowds are NEVER like that. ROH lately does stuff like WWE does, push Matt Taven and Kenny King, tone deaf things that just don't feel natural at all. Especially lately, it's REALLY bad. With New Japan slowly backing away from ROH more and more, I'd predict that ROH is going to really fall off in the next few months. Might as well hop on the AEW train now, guys. It's not getting any better for ROH.
The ROH PPVs have a good structure. ROH PPVs don't have the same dopamine rushes as Takeovers, but they share a vein in almost always delivering better than their cards would suggest. ROH has a lot of booking problems--that's loud and clear, but their roster is in a good spot now. There are tons of pretty good (though inconsequential) matches happening at all of their shows and Matt Taven is super fresh as a top star.

I have a remote interest in AEW. I thought the Elite brought out some of the worst doldrums in ROH, but I'd like to see what they do through filters. I'm eager to see what the identity of the promotion feels like once TV and a more consistent tentpole show schedule begin to settle in.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Cheap plug link to my review for all who want to read it:

http://www.thewrestlingrevolution.com/f ... 78&t=21733

While I certainly had some problems with parts of it, I thought it was a Show of the Year contender. As someone who dislikes a lot of the... let's say "habits" that some of the core AEW guys (particularly Cody and the Bucks) have when it comes to cartoonishness, breaking kayfabe, and bayface/heel alignment, I will say that while that was thankfully mostly absent from this show (Cody's bullsh*t with the throne aside), it hasn't quite quashed my fears of what AEW could devolve into if those three become the main booking forces.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

ALL OUT SUITE RENTAL INFO

Sign up for a potential spot - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E084E ... FA7-aewall

I received this email:
Good Afternoon,

Attached is the Suite Rental Information for All Out on August 31st at Sears Centre Arena!

I will start to make my way through the list of everyone that has inquired about a suite rentals in the order in which folks have reached out to me. Please do not call or email to try and get in sooner. I am the sole individual taking care of the suite rentals and any disruptions will only delay the opportunities for each other.

We will be taking 50% of the suite payment now as a non-refundable deposit and automatically charge the remaining 50% on Monday June 17th after the ticket on-sale.

I would imagine we will have all suites reserved prior to this weekend. Thanks again for your interest in All Out!

Mike
MIKE CZOPEK
Director of Partnerships

Sears Centre Arena
5333 Prairie Stone Parkway
Hoffman Estates, IL 60192

Office Direct: 847.649.2227
Cell: 331.235.4774
E: Michael.Czopek@searscentre.com

Spectra Venue Management
www.searscentre.com
www.SpectraExperiences.com

I've not been told yet what's available for me, but I'd go for the cheapest option that's shown here. If the cheapest option is available, I will ask for $90 per ticket. (No matter which suite option, each ticket would have a $5 convenience fee due to the obvious stress/cost reduction in securing this suite compared to regularly buying tickets when they go on sale or getting them on the secondary market.)

Should we manage to actually make this happen, 100% of the convenience fees will be donated to Stomp Out Bullying.

For info on Stomp Out Bullying - https://www.stompoutbullying.org/
Last edited by supersonic on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Good Evening,

Thank you for your interest in a suite rental for All Out, however at this time all available suites have been reserved. We will keep you in the loop if anything new becomes available or is opened up.

Thanks,
Mike

MIKE CZOPEK
Director of Partnerships
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/ ... 17792?s=20
**IMPORTANT** When going to purchase tickets this morning use AEWTIX.com ..
@Sears_Centre website is already experiencing high traffic
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

There's a lot going on with this. From the July 15th Observer:

As we’ve talked about many times, the AEW/NJPW relations are non-existent. Jon Moxley was not only not allowed to appear on the show because it was in the U.S., but didn’t even appear the day before for the G-1 press conference. It’s a relationship that could benefit both sides. Essentially what happened is that well before the announcement of AEW, NJPW was told by The Young Bucks and others, what the plans were and that they wanted to work together. New Japan’s response was to pull all the Americans that they thought were going to AEW off New Year’s Dash and beat everyone at the Tokyo Dome. Still, a meeting was scheduled after the Tokyo Dome. New Japan’s reaction was they were working with ROH, and they had to given the agreed upon Madison Square Garden show. But from that point it was cold. Even though Kenny Omega contractually can work for New Japan, New Japan has not attempted to book him and it’s to the point that the subjects of AEW and Omega are not allowed to be acknowledged by anyone in New Japan. While things can always change, really with just one phone call, the idea that people think an Omega vs. Kota Ibushi match will be at one of the Tokyo Domes in January is simply not the case.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Funny they acknowledged Omega all throughout the G1 show from today.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Some character development being filmed today for television. Exciting to see them take the next step.
Captain Podcast
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

dhads7161 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:33 pm Funny they acknowledged Omega all throughout the G1 show from today.
I think New Japan will use Omega at some point. Okada has to get that last win over him.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I want to get other opinion that watched the show last night did it feel like a lot of the matches went too long and most of the matches being spotfests with no psychology