All Elite Wrestling Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
supersonic

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
The Sports media web site “The Wrap” wrote that All Elite Wrestling was in advanced talks for a weekly television show that would likely air on TNT.

The story essentially became a Twitter thing the night before when Brian McMahon, a Twitter personality who is very well connected with MMA business, who uses the name The Fight Oracle, stated that Warner Media Group (Turner Sports) will present AEW Wrestling at their upfronts to advertisers next month. The upfronts are scheduled for 5/15.

This led to reports that AEW had signed with Turner Sports, with speculation the show would be on TBS, TNT or Tru TV, all under the Turner umbrella.

At press time, no deal has been signed, but the story of TNT being a possible home for an AEW television deal has credence. At last report, there was a deal from within the Turner group and a second proposal from another group on the table.

Because of the Double or Nothing show being on 5/25, and interest in streaming rights to the show, that’s something else notable as far as timing of the deal being completed. The idea is for AEW to be both for a weekly prime time television show and to also be involved with a streaming package with its broadcast partner. TNT’s streaming service, B/R Live, is a sports site built around various NBA packages, the UEFA championship league and the PGA. The idea of announcing AEW at the upfronts on 5/15 is also a timing issue of if or when the deal gets done.

We’ve confirmed the deal hasn’t been signed as of 4/11. The Wrap story reported the same thing, saying the deal was “pretty complex” and the signing was “not imminent,” and that an announcement on 5/15 would be ideal, but it’s not a definite.

Those at AEW have not addressed the story in any form.

The Wrap story talked about a weekly show and threw in the idea the show would not be year-around. That would be inaccurate.

As reported in the Observer previously, the plan is for a two hour live show. The last word was that the show would air on a weeknight, it would not be Monday or Friday due to WWE. If it was on TNT, it would not air on Tuesday’s due to TNT’s NBA contract. This would leave Wednesday or Thursday as the open days if on TNT. We had already reported that Tuesday, which was the plan with the trademarking of Tueday Night Dynamite, had been off the table as the likely date months ago. It could be different as far as the days of the week if it was on a different station.

Reports and comments from Jim Ross and Brian McMahon that the show would start in October would be the best bet scenario if negotiations are completed soon enough to make that date viable.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

It would have to be Wednesday as TNT also shows basketball on Thursdays as well as Tuesdays.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Darby Allin official going to AEW
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Cody says aew signed luchasaurus
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

unexpected.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Really because I just googled Luchasaurus AEW and got absolutely nothing. Went to Cody's twitter, AEW's twitter, Luchasaurus' twitter and got nothing. Watched the latest BTE and Road to Double or Nothing on youtube.... and got nothing. Now you're just making stuff up.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It was on jr podcast and Cody was saying they got him
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

How could anyone say anything on JR's podcast with him shilling his diarrhea BBQ sauce every second of every broadcast?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:46 pm It was on jr podcast and Cody was saying they got him
link please
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Thank goodness I don’t have to worry about him being on my TV anymore, man he did not translate well in ROH, such a bad fit and really not a great wrestler.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

411mania is reporting aew could be paying turner to air on their network not the other way around
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

That's crazy if true and will be doomed to failure if that's the case, I just can't see how that can work in anyone's favour but Turners.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Not surprised at all... i knew they wouldn't be able to land on a major network, with primetime without a major financial investment. I think TruTV makes a lot of sense for both sides, and once they get some big names, move to TNT.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Looks like Meltzer was doing some propaganda for his friends lol
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Unlike WCW and ROH, this ownership doesn't already have TV in its properties.

I also recall reading in Death of WCW that Vince actually paid to get his programming aired at the beginning of his expansion.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

It does make sense.

If NJPW and ROH are stuck on AXS/syndication/streaming with the Elite plus all their other talent, the Elite on their own probably wouldn't be able to get a big paying cable deal without proving it first.

Still not all that encouraging, though.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

They aren't paying for TV. Jesus.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:28 pm They aren't paying for TV. Jesus.
hello meltzer, how you doin
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

monster mafia wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:20 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:28 pm They aren't paying for TV. Jesus.
hello meltzer, how you doin

I have a direct line to someone working in the aew office. So I asked. ~JS
Captain Podcast
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

So Bea Priestley beat Kagetsu for the World of Stardom championship.

She also announced she’s moving to Japan in June and was made a member of the Stardom roster. So she’ll be AEW in the states and Stardom in Japan.