WWN/EVOLVE Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
King LeBron

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by King LeBron »

Are you holding off until some "major" or "historic" show to pull the trigger and give us Ki vs. Finlay? How about Finlay vs. Generico, I'm sure you'd wanna pull the trigger on that one before ROH does.
icyhot

Post by icyhot »

Both North Carolina shows were great. EVOLVE 13 might even be the best EVOLVE show tying with or slightly better than EVOLVE 9.
Support REAL Indy Wrestling and small business.
Tars Tarkas

Post by Tars Tarkas »

The upcoming live events section on the DGUSA/Evolve site is depressingly empty. I know we are supposed to have more DGUSA shows in July but I don't want to wait that long. C'mon Gabe, book some more Evolve shows, and soon.

I know it's quality over quantity but I do wish Evolve and DGUSA could have fuller schedules. 15 DGUSA shows like last year, backed up with 10 Evolve shows a year would be freaking awesome.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

DGUSA/Evolve currently have 0 events scheduled for the future. On top of that, they still haven't released a DVD of an event that took place over six months ago, and have 8 additional shows backlogged from January that haven't even entered the pre-order phase yet.
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

it really is hard to keep up w/ that company
Mr. Small Package

Post by Mr. Small Package »

Indeed. I want to get into it and have an interest, it's just hard to when the shows released are so limited. Not to mention things are forever changing in DGUSA because of what happens in DG.
radishman

Post by radishman »

They have always taken a long time to release things on DVD. However, ever since they started doing iPPV and archiving all their events online it really has made waiting for the DVDs pointless. Kinda wish all indy companies went this route because I am so beyond physical media.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Since Dg USA is having a good deal on dvds. 3 for 45$ I m thinking of ordering 3 dvds. I have mostly everything up until Chasing the Dragon.

Untouchable 2011
Way of the Ronin 2011
REVOLT!
Bushido: Code of the Warrior 2011
Freedom Fight 2011

Which three of these are the best ones. Thanks in advance!!
icyhot

Post by icyhot »

indyfan wrote:Since Dg USA is having a good deal on dvds. 3 for 45$ I m thinking of ordering 3 dvds. I have mostly everything up until Chasing the Dragon.

Untouchable 2011
Way of the Ronin 2011
REVOLT!
Bushido: Code of the Warrior 2011
Freedom Fight 2011

Which three of these are the best ones. Thanks in advance!!
I saw Bushido and Freedom Fight 2011 on ippv and would recommend them.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

radishman wrote:They have always taken a long time to release things on DVD. However, ever since they started doing iPPV and archiving all their events online it really has made waiting for the DVDs pointless. Kinda wish all indy companies went this route because I am so beyond physical media.
I'd be completely on board if I could download the event in full definition. But I don't like buying the digital product if its just stored on some site that may eventually be gone, or even just needing internet access to view the shows doesn't sit well with me either. Also anytime you want to watch a stored event off WWN, you got to wait like 10-15 minutes before the whole event is loaded so that you can skip forward to the end parts. That means if you want to just watch the main event, its not instantaneous. You'll need to wait all that time before you can get to it.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

Anyone even know whats going on with DGUSA at this point? It just feels dead, which would be a shame because they had a FANTASTIC product.
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

Mdodmod wrote:Anyone even know whats going on with DGUSA at this point? It just feels dead, which would be a shame because they had a FANTASTIC product.
Their next set of dates are the weekend of July 28th. That's an annoyingly long wait but I think these shows will be worth the wait.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Mdodmod wrote:
radishman wrote:They have always taken a long time to release things on DVD. However, ever since they started doing iPPV and archiving all their events online it really has made waiting for the DVDs pointless. Kinda wish all indy companies went this route because I am so beyond physical media.
I'd be completely on board if I could download the event in full definition. But I don't like buying the digital product if its just stored on some site that may eventually be gone, or even just needing internet access to view the shows doesn't sit well with me either. Also anytime you want to watch a stored event off WWN, you got to wait like 10-15 minutes before the whole event is loaded so that you can skip forward to the end parts. That means if you want to just watch the main event, its not instantaneous. You'll need to wait all that time before you can get to it.
It seems even SmartMarkVideo have stopped allowing us to download stuff and now its all VOD. Id much rather have the show on my hard drive than having to go online to watch it. If I could download events straight to my laptop I would be spending a ton of money on CHIKARA, Evolve and maybe some others.

Right now its DVD over VOD for me as its a lot more convenient and not much more expensive. As it stands only ROH gets my money right now (sometimes silvervision).

Does anybody know why SMV switched from downloads to VOD?
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

Smart Mark Video wrote:We know it isn't the most popular decision, but we are phasing out the MP4s. With the addition of iPay-Per-View to our offerings, it just made sense to merge our digital offerings into one service. In addition, streaming the content allows us to expand our offerings, as we eventually were going to be forced to begin removing videos to make space for new ones.

(Too bad. I'm running out of space for DVDs, but there are a lot of shows I'd like to buy as MP4 download. It would be no problem if you charge the full $15 per show. International shipping (and sometimes customs) are taking money right now that I prefer to invest into wrestling.
I buy events because I think they are worth to be watched again after months or years. I'm not interested in streaming videos just to watch online.
Replacing MP4 by iPPV is a really bad decision.)

We appreciate how you feel, but this is what is most feasible for a company our size right now.

Our VOD service though has received really positive feedback. We have no viewing or time limits, so you are able to go back and re-watch our releases as often as you want.
There are still new MP4 downloads though.
Recently I've purchased Chikara's Chicago Ridge show from April 28, 2012.

Keep asking SMV for downloads! I hope they will change their mind.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

classic-cabana wrote:
Mdodmod wrote:
It seems even SmartMarkVideo have stopped allowing us to download stuff and now its all VOD. Id much rather have the show on my hard drive than having to go online to watch it. If I could download events straight to my laptop I would be spending a ton of money on CHIKARA, Evolve and maybe some others.

Right now its DVD over VOD for me as its a lot more convenient and not much more expensive. As it stands only ROH gets my money right now (sometimes silvervision).

Does anybody know why SMV switched from downloads to VOD?
Raises the difficulty level on piracy is the likely reason.
WrestlingMatters

I think Evolve needs start running at least one show every month to really grow their company. I also understand why they would want to run shows everywhere but they need at least a year of running shows in the same market so they can really establish a connection to the crowd. Nothing against North Carolina but they didn't know what the Fox/Callihan feud was about. A real strange place to do a blowoff match to a feud in front of a new audience.
creepshow

Post by creepshow »

WrestlingMatters wrote:I think Evolve needs start running at least one show every month to really grow their company. I also understand why they would want to run shows everywhere but they need at least a year of running shows in the same market so they can really establish a connection to the crowd. Nothing against North Carolina but they didn't know what the Fox/Callihan feud was about. A real strange place to do a blowoff match to a feud in front of a new audience.

More to the point, I don't know how EVOLVE/DGUSA expects to grow a sustainable fanbase by going to such varying live event markets. They are too reliant on iPPV to carry them...and even then, Alex Reynolds, Adam Page, and Jake Manning, for instance may not even be on their next 3 shows.

They draw like 50-100 fans in the NC area when they don't have a foothold in any other market really. I heard a rumor that they aren't going to run BB King's anymore...and without a Philly, NYC, or NJ "sure thing" show...they are never going to be able to sustain a roster unless iPPV or DG has proven to be more profitable than I give it credit for. They sure as shit aren't going to do it on ticket sales...
WrestlingMatters

creepshow wrote:More to the point, I don't know how EVOLVE/DGUSA expects to grow a sustainable fanbase by going to such varying live event markets. They are too reliant on iPPV to carry them...and even then, Alex Reynolds, Adam Page, and Jake Manning, for instance may not even be on their next 3 shows.

They draw like 50-100 fans in the NC area when they don't have a foothold in any other market really. I heard a rumor that they aren't going to run BB King's anymore...and without a Philly, NYC, or NJ "sure thing" show...they are never going to be able to sustain a roster unless iPPV or DG has proven to be more profitable than I give it credit for. They sure as shit aren't going to do it on ticket sales...
That's the point I was trying to get to but it got lost in the rant. I can't see why they can't just run in those sure thing markets for the forseeable future, they would much more money from ticket sales that way.
icyhot

Post by icyhot »

The main reason they didn't draw in NC is there was no local promotion. If no one knows there's a show, they aren't going to go. You can't just rely on social media and expect to draw. There are other possible contributions to the poor attendance as well, but I won't mention them as the last time I did I was basically called an idiot.
I'm tired of being called an idiot.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'm pumped up for DGUSA coming to Detroit in July. It's been a while since there has been a GOOD wrestling show in Detroit. I'd say it's pass due. I know it's early, but my money is on Alex Shelly making his DGUSA debut in Taylor, Michigan. I'm about ready to jump off the ROH bandwagon and onto the DGUSA one.