WWN/EVOLVE Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
dark patriot

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by dark patriot »

elaborate please.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

dark patriot wrote:elaborate please.
Making Cody Rhodes top face for one.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Evolve announced returns to Ybor City, Florda on October 16th, and Joppa, Maryland on November 13th. NXT GM William Regal will be attending a WWN Seminar/Tryout before the former.

Also, the full card has been announced for Evolve 68:
The Main Event - Johnny Gargano's Last Singles Match In EVOLVE - Battle Of The Aces
Johnny Gargano vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

Grudge Match #1
EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Drew Galloway vs. Drew Gulak

Grudge Match #2
EVOLVE Tag Team Champion DUSTIN vs. Tracy Williams

NEW MATCH: Special Challenge Match
Jigsaw vs. Fred Yehi

NEW MATCH: EVOLVE 66 Rematch
Matt Riddle vs. Tony Nese

NEW MATCH: Special Attraction Match #1
TJ Perkins with Stokely Hathaway vs. Darby Allin

NEW MATCH: Special Attraction Match #2
Ethan Page vs. Dan Barry
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Full Card for Evolve 69:
Tag Team Grudge Match - Farewell To An Icon
Johnny Gargano & Cody Rhodes vs. EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Drew Galloway & Chris Hero

Bonus Main Event
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Ricochet

Special Challenge Match
Matt Riddle vs. TJ Perkins w/ Stokely Hathaway

NEW MATCH: Grudge Match
EVOLVE Tag Team Champion DUSTIN vs. Drew Gulak

NEW MATCH: New Talent Test
Tony Nese vs. Darby Allin

NEW MATCH: New Talent Test
Ethan Page vs. David Starr

Plus more to be announced with Tracy Williams, Fred Yehi and others!!!
Also...
We are very excited to announce that Joey Styles will appear at EVOLVE 68 on September 10th in Deer, Park, NY and EVOLVE 69 on September 11th in Queens, NY. Styles will be available for pictures and autographs at both events. Styles will also appear on the live events. What will Joey's role be on the shows? He has expressed a desire to "give back" and share his knowledge. We'll find out what this means at the live events. Tickets are now on sale in the DGUSA.tv Store.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

JTCole wrote:
dark patriot wrote:elaborate please.
Making Cody Rhodes top face for one.
Did you hear the reaction to him? I think most people will be fine with Cody Rhodes as a top face (although you could argue that Gulak is currently the top face).
Big Red Machine

The main event of 67 certainly wasn't main event quality. Thatcher vs. Gulak was disappointing, but that's disappointing by the usual high EVOLVE standards. I had it at 7.75/10, which I certainly wouldn't classify as sh*tting the bed.
project161

Post by project161 »

The main event of that show was like an ECW Brawl without anything being remotely over and without anything remotely crazy about it. Also have to love how the talents that are self-made have been portrayed as the heels in favor of pushing the faces that are going to WWE.

I hope the people that were highly supportive of Thatcher in 2014-2015 that led to him getting this neverending title run are happy with what they have reaped with his tremendously boring title reign. Bring back Jon Davis.
Big Red Machine

project161 wrote:The main event of that show was like an ECW Brawl without anything being remotely over and without anything remotely crazy about it. Also have to love how the talents that are self-made have been portrayed as the heels in favor of pushing the faces that are going to WWE.
project161 wrote: That's actually a pretty great description of the main event of 67.
As for the whole "self-made guys are the heels vs. WWE-bound babyfaces" thing, I disagree that the idea of being "self-made" applies here at all (or at least any more than it does anywhere else in wrestling). Some of these guys might be WWE-bound, but they've gotten their due to their own hard work (and Gabe's booking). The same way that 95% of guys who make it big in WWE get there through a combination of their own hard work and WWE's booking. What's the difference between what Gargano is doing on NXT and what Ethan Carter is doing in TNA? If Drew counts as being "self-made" then surely that is what Cody Rhodes is getting the chance to do as well.
project161 wrote: I hope the people that were highly supportive of Thatcher in 2014-2015 that led to him getting this neverending title run are happy with what they have reaped with his tremendously boring title reign. Bring back Jon Davis.
I think it's more the booking than anything else. Thatcher can sometimes underdeliver in big matches, but his "quiet guy" persona never seemed to be a problem until this angle where it went from being a quiet guy to being a guy who stands their and lets people insult and a berate him.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Here's my quick review of Evolve 66 (which I just got around to watching yesterday):

1.) WWE Cruiserweight Classic Showcase - Cedric Alexander vs. TJP (with Stokely Hathaway): ***3/4

2.) Catch Point (Tracy Williams & Fred Yehi) vs. Jigsaw & Peter Kaasa: ***1/4

3.) Evolve Tag Team Champion DUSTIN vs. "All Ego" Ethan Page: **1/4

4.) WWE Cruiserweight Classic Showcase - Drew Gulak vs. Tony Nese: ***1/4

5.) Evolve Title - No Holds Barred - Timothy Thatcher vs. Matt Riddle: ****

6.) Cody Rhodes vs. Zack Sabre Jr.: ***1/2

Overall: 7.0/10

Definitely one of Evolve's weaker shows. DUSTIN/Ethan Page was the only thing that I would call "not good". Every else on the show was fine, but it's not one you need to go out of your way to see. Honestly, I wasn't as high as some people were on Thatcher/Riddle (I saw some went ****1/4, while for me, the match BARELY cracked ****), and I think I enjoyed the Main Event more than most.
Big Red Machine

I don't get the hate for the main event. I had it at 8/10.
project161

Post by project161 »

I maybe should have re-phrased it a bit. The whole concept of the feud is somewhat based off of Galloway rejecting the idea of current NXT/EC3 coming in and pointing out how they did not need NXT to get themselves over and how they independently got themselves over while they were wasting away in the dire days of NXT before its rejuvenation in 2012, right? How they basically went out of their way to rely on themselves to get over rather than being miscast in a poorly handled project with coaches like Bill DeMott that had disastrous results while guys like Gargano are defending it because they are now moving on to greener pastures?

The difference between someone like Gargano and someone like EC3 and Galloway were put into a terrible spot in WWE, they left, and they made names for themselves elsewhere in a system where they were not micromanaged and allowed to portray themselves...and the fans are supposed to boo them for this? Yes, if not for places like TNA and EVOLVE this may not have happened for either of them, but they were given a platform and they made the most of it, something that could not happen for them in WWE due to their poor creative.

Meanwhile, the faces that are essentially WWE wannabes are supposed to be cheered. I just don't know who it is supposed to appeal to in the same manner that I do not know who Timothy Thatcher as champion is supposed to appeal to. He has had a particularly terrible year in-ring and hardly comes across as a leader and is supposed to have this redemption story that failed to resonate and has now resulted in the crowd turning on him and Gabe was forced to turn him in a manner similar to Nigel, but unlike Nigel, Nigel at least had a lot to offer in this regard and he made a lot of people look strong as ROH Champion. Who finds this new turn with Thatcher appealing at all? Why not strike the iron on Riddle while he is hot?

That's also not acknowledging the fact that part of this WWE angle is seemingly to get Ethan Page over who is pretty dreadful himself.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Quick Review of Evolve 67:

1.) "All Ego" Ethan Page vs. Kobe Durst: *1/4

2.) Peter Kaasa vs. Tony Nese: ***1/4

3.) Matt Riddle vs. Tommy End: ****1/4

4.) WWE Cruiserweight Classic Spotlight Match - Cedric Alexander vs. Zack Sabre Jr.: ****1/4

5.) Chris Hero vs. Cody Rhodes: ***1/2

6.) Evolve Title - Timothy Thatcher vs. Drew Gulak: *

7.) Evolve Tag Team Titles - No DQ Six-Man Tag - Drew Galloway, DUSTIN, & EC3 vs. "All Ego" Ethan Page & Catch Point (Fred Yehi & TJP with Stokely Hathaway): *

Overall: 6.5-6.75/10

This was such a hard show to rate. Everything on the first two thirds of the show (save for the opener, which was basically another Ethan Page vs. WWN Seminar Tryout guy squash) was really good, but then things just went right off a cliff with the final two matches. I obviously can't give it a high rating, but I don't want to totally trash the show because it had some really good (even great) stuff on it.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Full Card for Evolve 69:

- Johnny Gargano & Cody Rhodes vs. Evolve Tag Team Champion Drew Galloway & Chris Hero
- Ricochet vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
- Drew Gulak vs. Evolve Tag Team Champion DUSTIN
- TJP (with Stokely Hathaway) vs. Matt Riddle
- New Talent Test #1 - Tony Nese vs. Darby Allin
- New Talent Test #2 - "All Ego" Ethan Page vs. David Starr
- New Talent Test #3 - Tracy Williams vs. Chuck O'Neil
- New Talent Test #4 - Fred Yehi vs. Travis Gordon
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

We are very excited to announce that Ricochet is coming home! Ricochet has agreed to several more EVOLVE bookings this year after EVOLVE 69 on September 11th, including November 13th in Joppa, MD and December 11th in Melrose, MA. Ricochet was on the first EVOLVE event. He helped build WWN with his work in EVOLVE and Dragon Gate USA. He is the former DGUSA Open The United Gate Tag Team Champion and DGUSA Open The Freedom Gate Champion. Now he is back home to make a difference
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

The theme of the weekend will be new faces coming in and being given a shot at standing out. Travis Gordon, Chuck O'Neil, David Starr and Dan Barry (as a singles talent) will all be getting a chance this weekend and the company is looking at additional faces they could be bringing in. One of those names is Jason Jincaid, who impressed company management at the last seminar/tryout and is being brought to shows in the near future
From pwinsider
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

From a few days ago, but....
@BookItGabe Sep 14
EVOLE will return to Orlando on 10/15. We'll have building info soon. Chris Hero returns on 10/15 & 16 in Ybor City, FL.
@BookItGabe Sep 14
Matt Riddle vs Drew Galloway has been signed for EVOLVE on Oct. 16th in Ybor City, FL. Tix on sale at http://DGUSA.tv
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Some updates on the October events:

Evolve 70
Orlando, Florida 10/15/16

- Evolve Tag Team Titles - The Last Battle of Orlando - Losing Team Must Disband - Drew Galloway & DUSTIN vs. Catch Point (Drew Gulak & Tracy Williams)

Signed To Appear:

- Evolve Champion Timothy Thatcher
- Chris Hero
- Matt Riddle
- Zack Sabre Jr.
- "All Ego" Ethan Page
- Fred Yehi
- The Gatekeepers (formerly The Devastation Corporation)
- Jason Kincaid
- Darby Allin

Evolve 71
Ybor City, Florida 10/16/16

- Evolve Tag Team Champion Drew Galloway vs. Matt Riddle

Signed To Appear:

- Evolve Tag Team Champion DUSTIN
- Chris Hero
- Catch Point (Drew Gulak, Tracy Williams, & Fred Yehi)
- Zack Sabre Jr.
- "All Ego" Ethan Page
- The Gatekeepers (formerly The Devastation Corporation)
- Jason Kincaid
- Darby Allin

Also, we have the first talent lineup for Evolve 72 & Evolve 73 on November 12th & 13th in Queens, NY & Joppa, Maryland, respectively:

- Evolve Tag Team Champion DUSTIN
- Ricochet
- Zack Sabre Jr.
- Catch Point (Drew Gulak, Tracy Williams, Matt Riddle, & Fred Yehi)
- "All Ego" Ethan Page
- Tony Nese
- Darby Allin

As far as the Main Event for Evolve 70 is concerned, I would guess that the stipulation is referring to those particular duos, and not the faction as a whole (so, for instance, if Catch Point lost, I would guess that Gulak & Williams could team with Yehi separately).
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

New match announcements:

Evolve 70

- Chris Hero vs. Matt Riddle
- Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Fred Yehi

Evolve 71

- Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tracy Williams

Also....

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

It's set. EVOLVE Champion Timothy Thatcher will defend the EVOLVE Title vs. Ethan Page at EVOLVE 70 on October 15th in Orlando, FL. Page has momentum with a win streak. He is in the headlines after his actions during Johnny Gargano's farewell at the last EVOLVE event. Can he win the Championship?
WWN is very proud that WWN contracted wrestlers Drew Gulak and Tony Nese wrestled on WWE Raw last night in Cruiserweight Division matches. Both Gulak and Nese are now featured on the WWE.com Raw Roster section. This is another step in the building relationship between EVOLVE/WWN and WWE. We are very happy to say that Gulak and Nese will continue to wrestle in EVOLVE while they compete in the WWE Cruiserweight Division. Gulak is set to team with Tracy Williams to challenge EVOLVE Tag Team Champions DUSTIN & Drew Galloway at EVOLVE 70 on October 15th in Orlando, FL. The losing duo can never team again. Tony Nese returns to EVOLVE on November 12th in Queens, NY and November 13th in Joppa, MD.
project161

Post by project161 »

Drew Galloway is kiboshed off of the upcoming Florida cards due to a recent injury as announced by TNA with him being off Bound For Glory. A shame since he and Riddle would have probably been very good, but it will happen eventually.

Dick Togo is also being used in December. I'd have to imagine he and Hero is the go-to pairing for him.