DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
User avatar
DXvsNWO1994
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9227
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:44 am

Big Red Machine wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Honestly, Thatcher's best matches this year (in my opinion) in Evolve have been the Anything Goes/No Holds Barred Matches he's been involved in over the last few months (vs. Riddle in a No Holds Barred Match from Evolve 66, vs. Gulak in a Street Fight at Evolve 71 and the Squared Circle of Survival at Evolve 72).
Based on what both you and BRM have suggested, the Gulak match from Evolve 72 seems to be the common denominator for me to start at. Thanks guys.
As a warning, that match is rather different than just about any match I've ever seen, so it might not be the most perfect representation of the usual Thatcher at his best.
I would actually recommend watching the Street Fight from Evolve 71 first, because it set up the Squared Circle of Survival, and was very entertaining.
Image

Mr. Mojo Risin
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:39 pm

Noted. Thanks guys.

User avatar
DXvsNWO1994
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9227
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:23 am

Evolve Champion Timothy Thatcher is off the next set of shows in December. Apparently he hasn't fully recovered from the concussion he suffered at Evolve 72. Here are the updated cards:

Evolve 74
Queens, New York 12/10/16

- Evolve Tag Team Titles - Catch Point (Tracy Williams & Fred Yehi) vs. Ricochet & Peter Kaasa
- CODY vs. "All Ego" Ethan Page (with The Gatekeepers)
- Chris Hero vs. Dick Togo
- Matt Riddle vs. Jeff Cobb
- Drew Gulak vs. Jaka
- Brian Cage vs. Darby Allin
- Chris Dickinson vs. DUSTIN

Evolve 75
Melrose, Massachusetts 12/11/16

- Evolve Tag Team Champion Tracy Williams vs. Drew Gulak
- Ricochet vs. Matt Riddle
- Dick Togo vs. "All Ego" Ethan Page (with The Gatekeepers)
- Chris Hero vs. DUSTIN
- Evolve Tag Team Champion Fred Yehi vs. Jeff Cobb
- The Doom Patrol (Chris Dickinson & Jaka) vs. Peter Kaasa & Darby Allin
Image

User avatar
Brada
Posts: 1161
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:05 am
Location: Dallas/Ft.Worth, Texas

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by Brada » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:42 am

Is it me, or does it really seem like Thatcher has been pulled a lot lately?

User avatar
Wilson
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 am
Location: US Northeast

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by Wilson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:29 pm

DXvsNWO1994 wrote: Matt Riddle vs. Jeff Cobb
Wait, what?
Ricochet vs. Matt Riddle
Sweet Mary, Moses.

Yep, signing Matt Riddle did in fact mean a lot.

User avatar
DXvsNWO1994
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9227
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:01 pm

Brada wrote:Is it me, or does it really seem like Thatcher has been pulled a lot lately?
Well back in September he was off the shows due to being in Europe (working with WXW in Germany, I believe), and this month he suffered a concussion. I think it's just circumstance.
Wilson wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote: Matt Riddle vs. Jeff Cobb
Wait, what?
They actually had a brief interaction during BOLA in the big multi-man tag on Night 3, and AAW booked a match between the two that took place a month or two ago. I can't wait to see this match!
Wilson wrote:
Ricochet vs. Matt Riddle
Sweet Mary, Moses.
Excited for this one as well. They were in a Triple Threat with Tony Nese at Evolve 68, but I'm sure this singles match will be fantastic.
Image

User avatar
cgstong
Admin
Admin
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:00 am
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by cgstong » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:56 am

Brada wrote:Is it me, or does it really seem like Thatcher has been pulled a lot lately?
Purely coincidental with double booking issues and his concussion is legit.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld

Big Red Machine
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:38 pm

cgstong wrote:
Brada wrote:Is it me, or does it really seem like Thatcher has been pulled a lot lately?
Purely coincidental with double booking issues and his concussion is legit.
He also got pulled for a staph infection in January, which I assume was legit, too.

User avatar
DXvsNWO1994
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9227
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:00 pm

The first three participants in Style Battle are Anthony Henry, Jake Crist (from Irish Airborne/OI4K), & Dezmond Xavier.
Image

User avatar
DXvsNWO1994
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9227
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:24 am

I thought the shows from this past weekend were pretty good. Catch Point vs. Ricochet & Peter Kaasa, Chris Hero vs. Dick Togo, and Drew Gulak vs. Jaka were the standouts from Evolve 74 (a show which I'll be reviewing for Voices of Wrestling), but Cody vs. Ethan Page was pretty bad (I think it was the only real bad match of the weekend from Evolve). On Evolve 75, Matt Riddle vs. Ricochet was the real standout match. Tracy Williams vs. Drew Gulak in the Main Event was an interesting one, because they had a lot of great moments, but the match just felt like it went on and on and on and on (Definitely one of those matches that felt a lot longer than it actually was). I guess the big news is that Chris Dickinson & Jaka (who won Evolve contracts earlier in the night) joined Catch Point, which means the stable is now Tracy Williams, Matt Riddle, Fred Yehi, Chris Dickinson, & Jaka.
Image

Big Red Machine
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:13 am

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I thought the shows from this past weekend were pretty good. Catch Point vs. Ricochet & Peter Kaasa, Chris Hero vs. Dick Togo, and Drew Gulak vs. Jaka were the standouts from Evolve 74 (a show which I'll be reviewing for Voices of Wrestling), but Cody vs. Ethan Page was pretty bad (I think it was the only real bad match of the weekend from Evolve). On Evolve 75, Matt Riddle vs. Ricochet was the real standout match. Tracy Williams vs. Drew Gulak in the Main Event was an interesting one, because they had a lot of great moments, but the match just felt like it went on and on and on and on (Definitely one of those matches that felt a lot longer than it actually was). I guess the big news is that Chris Dickinson & Jaka (who won Evolve contracts earlier in the night) joined Catch Point, which means the stable is now Tracy Williams, Matt Riddle, Fred Yehi, Chris Dickinson, & Jaka.
I thought 74 was far superior in the ring. In fact, I think 75 might have been one of their worst shows in-ring all year ( but was still good, which shows how great Evolve is). You seemed to like Ricochet vs. Riddle a lot more than I did. I liked Williams vs. Gulak (had it at 8.5/10). You say it "felt a lot longer than it actually was," but I'm pretty sure they went a legit thirty minutes, LOL. I saw it more as a battle to exhaustion (which both guys sold well). The post-match stuff was great, although I will admit to some ambivalence about Jaka and Dickinson joining Catchpoint simply because the stable feels too big now. That being said, I have a feeling they're just doing this to get close to Williams and Yehi so they can betray them and use this knowledge to go after the tag titles. They seem like the kind of jerks who would do that.

Mr. Mojo Risin
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:52 pm

Did Dick Togo really look good? Or did Hero carry him?

Big Red Machine
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Did Dick Togo really look good? Or did Hero carry him?
He looked pretty damn good. Hero's style is not one that is conducive to carrying people.

monster mafia
Posts: 2182
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:13 am

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by monster mafia » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:43 pm

Chris Dickinson, Jaka, and Jason Kincaid have all signed WWN contracts

User avatar
cgstong
Admin
Admin
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:00 am
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by cgstong » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:23 pm

Man I wish ROH had picked up on Kincaid
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld

User avatar
DXvsNWO1994
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9227
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:26 pm

Big Red Machine wrote: I thought 74 was far superior in the ring. In fact, I think 75 might have been one of their worst shows in-ring all year ( but was still good, which shows how great Evolve is). You seemed to like Ricochet vs. Riddle a lot more than I did. I liked Williams vs. Gulak (had it at 8.5/10). You say it "felt a lot longer than it actually was," but I'm pretty sure they went a legit thirty minutes, LOL. I saw it more as a battle to exhaustion (which both guys sold well). The post-match stuff was great, although I will admit to some ambivalence about Jaka and Dickinson joining Catchpoint simply because the stable feels too big now. That being said, I have a feeling they're just doing this to get close to Williams and Yehi so they can betray them and use this knowledge to go after the tag titles. They seem like the kind of jerks who would do that.
For me, Gulak/Williams felt like it went on FOREVER (to the point where I thought they might be doing a one hour time limit draw), but when I saw that the match was only 37 minutes, it actually caught off guard a little bit. Basically, it felt a lot longer than 37 minutes, or however long it went. I don't disagree with you about the match, necessarily. I thought it was really good (probably ***3/4 for me), but their Cruiserweight Classic Qualifier back at Evolve 61 was far superior, in my opinion.

I do have similar feeling about Catch Point though. I'm interested to see where things go with Williams heading the group and the additions of Chris Dickinson & Jaka, but it just feels like half the roster is part of Catch Point right now.
cgstong wrote:Man I wish ROH had picked up on Kincaid
It's ROH's loss, in the end. They didn't take him when they had the chance, and Evolve got him first.
Image

User avatar
DXvsNWO1994
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9227
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:12 am

Some updates from the most recent WWNLive News Alert:
The FloSlam era has led to the annual Style Battle tournament becoming its own promotion. Style Battle: Episode 1, Season 1 will take place on January 7th in Ybor City, FL. A Style Battle event will see a one night, eight man single elimination tournament. The participants in the first Style Battle are official. It will be a mix of established and rising stars. Competing in Style Battle on January 7th are:

-Anthony Henry
-AR Fox
-Austin Theory
-Darby Allin
-Dave Crist
-Dezmond Xavier
-FIP World Heavyweight & EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Fred Yehi
-Sammy Guevara
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Style Battle On January 7th and the new FIP on January 8th will now take place at The Ivy Astoria Event Center on 1920 E 7th Ave in Tampa, FL. This building is directly across the street from The Orpheum, so it is not a big venue change. Tickets will be available at www.TicketFly.com soon.
Tickets are now on sale for the EVOLVE return to Queens on February 25th. Reserved ringside seats have sold out for the last several EVOLVE events at La Boom. You can still get 1st row and stage tickets for February 25th, but act now because they will sell quickly.
Drew Galloway will return to EVOLVE on February 24th in Joppa, MD and February 25th in Queens. Galloway was suspended for hitting a referee at EVOLVE 73. Galloway's suspension will come to an end on January 1st, however Galloway has stated that he won't return until February. Galloway cites that EVOLVE officials and fans are ungrateful for him, especially since he is "trying to save EVOLVE from itself." He wants everyone to wait until he returns so we can see "how badly we need him."
WWN is proud to announce that Tracy Williams and Matt Riddle will now be co-head trainers at future WWN Seminar/Tryouts. Williams will concentrate on teaching the Catch Point wrestling style. Riddle will bring his MMA expertise to the WWN Seminar/Tryouts. The former UFC standout will focus on teaching how MMA principles and techniques can be transferred to pro wrestling. Of course, we will also add special guests. We are currently finalizing details on the next WWN Seminar/Tryout. Stay tuned, we'll have more soon.
The 2nd ever WWN Creative Seminar with Gabe Sapolsky will take place in Orlando on Wrestlemania weekend. It will be March 31st after the EVOLVE event. This is a rare learning experience and opportunity for anyone who ever wanted to get into the writing, booking, creative, producing or promoting side of professional wrestling. We will have more information soon.
We want to take a moment and give special thanks to Dick Togo for teaching the WWN Seminar and then giving us two great matches at the last EVOLVE weekend. Togo-san wrote a blog about his experience in EVOLVE. In it, he had high praise for Ethan Page saying, "You must remember his name, Ethan Page, 27 years old Canadian. He will surely be at the top in the near future."
Image

Mr. Mojo Risin
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Am I mistaken but I thought AR Fox had heat with Gabe?

DBSommer
Posts: 2475
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by DBSommer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:14 pm

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Am I mistaken but I thought AR Fox had heat with Gabe?
There was some for some inane reason on Gabe's part. But it seems to have died off, or Gabe needs him that badly.

And floslam is starting to post some of the EVOLVE matches. I got the blu ray of this, and really enjoyed this match between Ospray and Ricochet


User avatar
Brada
Posts: 1161
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:05 am
Location: Dallas/Ft.Worth, Texas

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by Brada » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:11 pm

So Hero is still in Evolve.....the whole Hero back to WWE was crap?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest