WWN/EVOLVE Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Nigel LikesGuinness

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

I have 5 Roku's in my house. I also still buy dvds. I am still waiting for dvds I paid for well over a year ago from WWN. I stopped purchasing the $25 option due to how ridiculous the wait is for the dvds.

I believe any shows from this year will probably never get released.......

Evolve/DGUSA is turning into the TNA of the indies, you want to support it and it has talent but they make it very hard.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:I have 5 Roku's in my house. I also still buy dvds. I am still waiting for dvds I paid for well over a year ago from WWN. I stopped purchasing the $25 option due to how ridiculous the wait is for the dvds.

I believe any shows from this year will probably never get released.......

Evolve/DGUSA is turning into the TNA of the indies, you want to support it and it has talent but they make it very hard.
What is a Roku?

Might be that they aren't established here in Sweden. But I literally have no idea what they are.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Shine DVDs also take a million years to come out. They're only at Shine 6 from... January 2013. I don't know how much does the on-demand service on WWN cost, but I'll probably stick with that just to stay up-to-date with the product.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Sandy Fork wrote:
What is a Roku?

Might be that they aren't established here in Sweden. But I literally have no idea what they are.
The Roku is a streaming device. You pay one set price, hook it up to your TV and can stream Netflix, Hulu and any other available subscription service. So, wwnlive was working on a channel for the Roku over a year ago (maybe more) and it wasn't until recently that they came out and said it's close to being done.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Interesting Tweet from Gabe...
@BookItGabe · Jul 5
Anyone remember AWA team challenge series? Thinking of bringing it back for evolve. #timetoevolveevolve
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Interesting Tweet from Gabe...
@BookItGabe · Jul 5
Anyone remember AWA team challenge series? Thinking of bringing it back for evolve. #timetoevolveevolve
That was one of the most horrifyingly stupid things AWA did, and it was the final nail in their proverbial coffin. It went too long, there were horrible stipulation matches for points, the teams kept changing since people came and went in the promotion, and the roster wasn't big enough.

Sure Gabe, great f*ckin idea. While you're at it, ban off the top rope maneuvers, put the strap on Arquette and make Larry Dallas his manager. Then you'll be perfect.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

If it's a guaranteed promotion-killer, THEN PLEASE BOOK IT FOR EVOLVE GABE. Hopefully TNA books it too.
Hellfont93

Post by Hellfont93 »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Interesting Tweet from Gabe...
@BookItGabe · Jul 5
Gabe attempting humour again?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Hellfont93 wrote: Gabe attempting humour again?
Maybe...
Hellfont93

Post by Hellfont93 »

If not, we should all be worried :lol:
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I thought I knew a lot about wrestling, but I've never even heard of this.

What was so bad about it?
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

TYFDK wrote:I thought I knew a lot about wrestling, but I've never even heard of this.

What was so bad about it?
Copy and pasted from Wikipedia:
The AWA held a "Team Challenge Series" from October 1, 1989 through August 11, 1990. All of the available wrestlers were divided into three teams: "Larry's Legends", headed by Larry Zbyszko, "Sarge's Snipers", originally headed by Sgt. Slaughter, and "Baron's Blitzers", headed by Baron Von Raschke. Slaughter left the AWA to return to the World Wrestling Federation shortly after WrestleMania VI, and Colonel DeBeers took over as the team captain for the Snipers (the team name was changed to "DeBeers' Diamondcutters" and Slaughter was said on air to have "gone AWOL" to explain his departure).

Babyfaces and heels alike were assigned to teams, forcing bitter rivals to work together. The winners of Team Challenge matches would earn points for their team; at some unspecified point the highest-scoring team would share one million dollars. Some of the earlier TCS matches took place in a TV studio without an audience; the announcers claimed it was part of an effort to stop wrestlers from interfering, but it was actually due to poor ticket sales for arena shows. The remainder of the matches took place at the Rochester Civic Center, where the AWA taped live matches for its television program from 1989-1990.

The final match in the TCS was a royal rumble style battle royal featuring Brad Rheingans, The Destruction Crew, Colonel DeBeers, the Texas Hangmen, the Trooper Del Wilkes, and several others. Jake Milliman again came away with the win by eliminating DeBeers at the end, winning the series and the supposed 1 million dollar check for Larry's Legends.
So maybe Gabe thought the concept was worth trying out again.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

JTCole wrote:
Copy and pasted from Wikipedia:
The AWA held a "Team Challenge Series" from October 1, 1989 through August 11, 1990. All of the available wrestlers were divided into three teams: "Larry's Legends", headed by Larry Zbyszko, "Sarge's Snipers", originally headed by Sgt. Slaughter, and "Baron's Blitzers", headed by Baron Von Raschke. Slaughter left the AWA to return to the World Wrestling Federation shortly after WrestleMania VI, and Colonel DeBeers took over as the team captain for the Snipers (the team name was changed to "DeBeers' Diamondcutters" and Slaughter was said on air to have "gone AWOL" to explain his departure).

Babyfaces and heels alike were assigned to teams, forcing bitter rivals to work together. The winners of Team Challenge matches would earn points for their team; at some unspecified point the highest-scoring team would share one million dollars. Some of the earlier TCS matches took place in a TV studio without an audience; the announcers claimed it was part of an effort to stop wrestlers from interfering, but it was actually due to poor ticket sales for arena shows. The remainder of the matches took place at the Rochester Civic Center, where the AWA taped live matches for its television program from 1989-1990.

The final match in the TCS was a royal rumble style battle royal featuring Brad Rheingans, The Destruction Crew, Colonel DeBeers, the Texas Hangmen, the Trooper Del Wilkes, and several others. Jake Milliman again came away with the win by eliminating DeBeers at the end, winning the series and the supposed 1 million dollar check for Larry's Legends.
So maybe Gabe thought the concept was worth trying out again.
Oh no, that doesn't even remotely describe how truly awful it was. At one point they had The Trooper (aka: The Patriot later in life) and Mike Enos square off in 3 point stance match. They had what amounted to a street hockey net in opposite corners, then tried to shoulder block each other into them in turns. There might have been a body slam contest as well as other stupid stip matches since getting points in regular matches was 'too boring' after a while (each team had to accumulate 40 points maybe, and they were getting one point a win). I think they let Milliman win simply because everyone else on each team had multiple wins already since it went so long.

I'm pretty sure 3/4 of Rashke's team and all of Slaughter's roster was different from the start of it to the end. The had Jonnie Stewert enter the promotion halfway through, join one team, then dump them for another basically because that team had been depleted by people leaving the sinking ship that the AWA was.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

That actually sounds amazing. I hope Gabe wasn't joking.

I want to see Baretta and Gargano in that 3 Point Stance match on a random Evolve show.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Looks like that Tweet from Gabe was indeed just a joke...
On August 8th we start EVOLVE: Chapter 2. After taking a hiatus in recent months, we have been brainstorming some ideas. Here are rejected ideas for EVOLVE: Chapter 2:

-Bringing back the AWA Team Challenge Series.
-Have a show where the entire thing is one long Gauntlet Match.
-Having the first ever Three-Way European Rounds Match.
-Doing a tournament that consists of a series of challenges that all comes together in the end (I still stand by this but it was shot down by Lenny Leonard).
-Having the EVOLVE Champion defend the title only once a year against the guy with the best Record after a year.
-Bringing in Adam Pearce, Brent Albright and Jim Cornette as an NWO type faction with the intentions of making you think they were sent from ROH, similar to what WCW did when Hall & Nash first invaded.
-Having an entire show consist of three 1 hour draws.

So what changes will we see for EVOLVE: Chapter 2? What does having a Chapter 2 even mean? Stay tuned....
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Is there such thing as Chapter 2 bankruptcy?
isles11

Post by isles11 »

-Bringing in Adam Pearce, Brent Albright and Jim Cornette as an NWO type faction with the intentions of making you think they were sent from ROH, similar to what WCW did when Hall & Nash first invaded.
-Having an entire show consist of three 1 hour draws.
With these two, basically saying that its all pre-planned. I mean, at least try to keep kayfabe alive.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Here's some stuff from today's WWNLive News Alert

- They're waiting on an injury report on AR Fox before finalizing the Evolve Cards for Florida.
- We are going to use the break to start a new chapter for EVOLVE in Florida. Chapter 2 will see a reboot of the DVD series. We are going to put EVOLVE 31, EVOLVE 32 and EVOLVE 33 into immediate DVD production. These events will be designed to be a great point to jump in and follow the EVOLVE/DGUSA series on DVD. We will then work backwards and get the older DGUSA/EVOLVE shows out on DVD. We want to remind you that every DGUSA/EVOLVE event in history is available at www.WWNLive.com to watch anytime. When you buy one of these iPPVs, you own it for unlimited access.

- EVOLVE: Chapter 2 will see the return of Records, but with a new, simpler twist. Records will be tracked on each weekend. At the end of the weekend, the Records will be used to determine a top ten rankings. At this point, all Records will reset to zero and everything is about the rankings. These rankings will determine the matches on the following EVOLVE weekend. We realize with double and tripleshots that we will have multiple wrestlers with the same Record after the weekend. In this case, we will use tie breakers including fan response, past results, quality of opposition and who had the most dominant victories. Much more on this will become clear during EVOLVE 31, EVOLVE 32 and EVOLVE 33 in Florida.

- There's breaking news for Orlando! August 9th will now see a double header as EVOLVE and Full Impact Pro team up for a pair of events. The best part is you get both shows for one ticket price! FIP will start at 6pm and EVOLVE will be at 9pm.
"High fliers don't need bridges," Matt Sydal said. "On Thursday, August 7th, I'm bringing gasoline and dynamite. Bring the lighter and we'll burn every one of 'em to the ground."

What is the former Evan Bourne talking about? Check out this press release:

MATT SYDAL NOT WORRIED ABOUT BURNING BRIDGES IN LIVE "YOUSHOOT" iPPV

Kayfabe Commentaries and World Wrestling Network are proud to announce that a live iPPV version of the popular, uncensored shoot interview series "YouShoot" will debut on Thursday night August 7th, starring Matt Sydal, the former Evan Bourne on WWE TV. The event will air at WWNLive.com at 8pm EST on 8/7. It is available to pre-order now at a discount.

Kayfabe Commentaries President Sean Oliver stated that, historically, several of WWE's released workers fear that particular series. "Many of the contemporary talent fear burning bridges," Oliver began, "mainly one very big bridge, that runs up I-95 into Connecticut."

Sydal brings an impressive resume to Youshoot. In addition to being a popular star in WWE, Sydal traveled the independent wrestling world working with some of today's biggest names, including a memorable stint in Ring Of Honor. He also became a star and fixture in Japan for Dragon Gate.

The "YouShoot" series, produced by Kayfabe Commentaries, allows the entire interview to be conducted by fans via video submission and email submission of the questions. Now with the addition of the live iPPV element, fans will now be able to Skype in and also Tweet questions during the live broadcast. "Allowing fans to interact directly with Matt during the broadcast will add yet another dimension to the 'YouShoot' format," Oliver said.

Fans can still submit videos and email questions as with any "YouShoot." The iPPV is available to order now and fans can also now submit questions at www.KayfabeCommentaries.com.
You are probably wondering about DGUSA right now. Well, we don't have anything to report. We are still working on things. Right now, we will turn our attention to the EVOLVE events in Florida. We'll be back soon with several match announcements for all three cards. Thank you for reading this WWNLive Alerts.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

DVDs on immediate distribution? Fan Flipping tastic (hint of sarcasm)
Captain44

Post by Captain44 »

Gabe saying no news on DGUSA. This may not be popular, but if I were Gabe and Sal, I'd put DGUSA aside, and focus on EVOLVE, and making that brand their premier brand. I think with focus, they could just that.