WWN/EVOLVE Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
ROHWorld_Jon
Admin
Admin

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by ROHWorld_Jon »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
You going to the Evolve Show in Jacksonville?
I'm planning on it. I've been every time they've come so far and it's been a lot of fun each time. I need to find someone to go with thus time since my buddy who usually goes with me won't be able to.
Teenage Mutant Nana Turtle
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

EVOLVE 31 - August 8th - Ybor City, FL
Matt Sydal vs. Johnny Gargano
Drew Galloway, (Drew McIntyre) vs. Trent Baretta.
EVOLVE 32 - August 9th - Orlando, FL – Non-Title
Matt Sydal vs. Open The Freedom Gate Champion Ricochet
ImageImage
mancraig

Post by mancraig »

Nice
AssShooter wrote:
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

ROHWorld_Jon wrote:
I'm planning on it. I've been every time they've come so far and it's been a lot of fun each time. I need to find someone to go with thus time since my buddy who usually goes with me won't be able to.
Out of curiosity, how was the Evolve Show in Jacksonville in January (I think it was Evolve 27)?
AssShooter wrote:
Good set of matches. I think Sydal/Ricochet was almost a given and Sydal/Gargano should be good as well. Baretta, I think, is actually a great first opponent for the former Drew McIntyre.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

mancraig wrote:Nice
AssShooter wrote:
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I'm looking forward to seeing how big Drew translates to the indies.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

This post is one I wrote for a Evolve/DGUSA thread I made on another forum I frequent. Make of it what you will:

When I discovered indy wrestling Evolve and DGUSA were two of the first I discovered. Evolve 8 is still one of my favorite DVDs along with tribute to the Arena. I enjoyed both but Evolve was my favorite for the sport feel it had to it. It was unique in a sense among the typical independents. It had an identity which it now lacks.

Here’s how I’d do it if I had the opportunity and means:
1. Scale down, back to the basics. As close to a reboot as you can get

2. Scrap DGUSA and rework the partnership with dragon gate japan. It seems dead in the water right now but I am sure it can be salvageable. I am also sure that Gabe would prefer to run his own entity in the wrestling world instead of being a sub division of the Japanese brand. Still work with DG, but run DGUSA shows as specials, once or twice a year when you know that DG talent can come over, the lack of talent in recent months have hurt the product. Promise Evolve as a place where DG students on excursions get a guaranteed spot on the roster. That way you work with Dragon Gate, but remain your own entity.

3. Run regularly. Evolve needs to run 1 show a month at least to build momentum. I’d run one a month with two or three double shots per year.

4. Find a home base. One home venue where you run regularly and can develop a loyal and local following. So that live crowds can grow. That way you have a place you can venture out from ones you have established yourself in that area. Stay out of the Lyceum, that venue is horrible.

5. A roster with a mixture of home grown and fly in talent. Big names mixing it with the local guys, allowing the local guys to grow into stars. Look at JT Dunn and Biff Busick in Beyond Wrestling for prime examples.

6. Fix the DVD issues. DVDs need to come out at least a month after the event. You can pump out hype match after hype match but if people cannot watch them while they are still hot, what’s the point? And not enough people want VODs for that to be your one way of providing it. Same with Roku.

7. Develop an identity. Evolve used to have this. Bring back the point system that made Evolve stand out. Could be used to determine contenders for the belt, maybe run seasons or leagues with a trophy at the end. Make Evolve stand out as a promotion through something other than purple turnbuckles.

8. Fix up the production values. New graphics, new/fixed up ring.

9. Step up the booking. Gabe is one of the best bookers out there. But lately the only feud that has been interesting was Gargano vs Swann. We need more of Gabe’s brilliance to shine along with letting the talent shine

10. A website that is up to date would be nice.

11. Find some form of financial sponsor, be it highspots, smart mark video, an insurance company or any other type of company that has dabbled in wrestling. I am sure there is a company out there that would be willing to go in and help sponsor Evolve in some way.

These are eleven things I would do. I am sure I could come up with more. And I am sure some of these are doable while some isn’t or at least ain’t right now for Sapolsky. I cannot claim to know how he thinks or operates. I know that Gabe has a history of lurking web forums discussing his product so maybe he sees this (he was on the rohworld forum for a while). I cannot demand that he makes these changes, but maybe he’ll read them and at least mull them over.

As a fan I want Evolve to do well, but some changes need to be made, at least from this fans perspective.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Close up shop so the guys that matter can get some established brand name value working for ROH and Sapolsky, who is way past his prime, can fuck off to the real world.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

A bit too grim for my tastes. Evolve still has some face to save, even if it means pushing Gabe out for someone else.

But taste is like an ass, split in two.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I think Evolve still has its merits, but they really need to figure out there situation with Dragon Gate.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I think Evolve still has its merits, but they really need to figure out there situation with Dragon Gate.
Eyup. I honestly think the suggestion I made in my post earlier is the best. Rework the partnership so that you bring in the rookies when they are on excursions and run one or two bigger shows a year. But don't run a promotion that relies on them flying in people for every show.
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

Over a year ago I asked Gabe if he would be willing to give SMV His master copies of the dvds to get them out quickly.....If I could be bothered wasting my time to actually find the answer It was something along the lines of that it was discussed but they would get the dvds caught up on their own ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

50% of something is better than nothing of nothing. I really wish they would get caught up
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:Over a year ago I asked Gabe if he would be willing to give SMV His master copies of the dvds to get them out quickly.....If I could be bothered wasting my time to actually find the answer It was something along the lines of that it was discussed but they would get the dvds caught up on their own ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ).
Wait what?

They fricking work in DVD distribution. They if anyone would have a system to handle it.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

They should just bring back Larry Dallas and Teddy Hart, that will fix all the problems
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

jordidebaas wrote:They should just bring back Larry Dallas and Teddy Hart, that will fix all the problems
#bestforbusiness
Tars Tarkas

Post by Tars Tarkas »

Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:Over a year ago I asked Gabe if he would be willing to give SMV His master copies of the dvds to get them out quickly.....If I could be bothered wasting my time to actually find the answer It was something along the lines of that it was discussed but they would get the dvds caught up on their own ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

50% of something is better than nothing of nothing. I really wish they would get caught up
It makes me pretty mad that they have apparently dropped a load of money on their new Roku channel but are still getting further and further behind with the dvds. I don't really understand the point of this when they seemed to have a perfectly good online service already. I don't watch shows online and many other fans feel the same. Is a Roku channel going to change their mind? They will do ANYTHING but concentrate on dvd production.

Like you I have also suggested to Gabe that they use Highspots or SMV to get their dvd production up to date. I received a similar reply to yours. I still periodically email DGUSA every 6 months or so and ask them if they do have plans to get up to date with the dvds. Lately they don't even bother to respond. I guess even they know how ridiculous it sounds when they say they will be making every effort to get up to date soon. Clearly dvd production is a very very low priority. I am at the stage now where I just don't want to bother with them anymore.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

I like the idea of nixing DGUSA and "merging" it with Evolve permanently. With all the negative feedback that has come from little to no japanese talent on the DGUSA shows, it would make sense.

I think the biggest problem with that operation, is that EVERYTHING is done in house. And while that maximizes profit, does it maximize it enough where you're behind on DVD releases by a year, and still don't run nearly as many shows?

If they get the Roku channel out within a nice time frame, I could see myself getting it, but once again, this wouldn't be huge news. How many people, wrestling fans, have a Roku?

They need to run shows a little more spread out. While double and triple shots can be nice for one area (I live in NYC), it may run in their favor to run more shows in different towns. Chicago, Philadelphia, California. These are places they should be visiting on a yearly basis.

Also...I really like the Lyceum. It has its advantages and disadvantages. The place doesn't look all that great, and the lack of lighting probably doesn't help the iPPV viewers, but the venue gives off a nice, "underground" type of feel, as well as being a very central and easy place to locate. The venue they book in Queens, though a nicer place inside, is "out of the way" in terms of location. Always a hot crowd, and usually the better card of the doubleshot weekend is on the Lyceum card.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I'd be really interested to know how many DVDs are really sold these days. I for one am very much a VOD/iPPV guy, and only buy the DVD when that's not available, it's just easier. I wonder what the split is.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Anyone got an idea why they don't run BB Kings anymore? That place looked fricking gorgeous and the crowds were "okay" at worst.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

Ladrao12 wrote: How many people, wrestling fans, have a Roku?
I don't even know what it is.

Honestly, the only reason i'll check out DGUSA/EVOLVE if its for a matchup that I want to see i.e. Biff vs. Gargano, usually every show will have at least one match I want to see, but thats it.