WWN/EVOLVE Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

It seems like to me that they've been slowing phasing out the Dragon Gate Talent from Japan. Just look at where they were during WrestleMania Weekend 2012, then last year, now this year. I do agree that the lack of Dragon Gate Talent brings up questions about why they're called Dragon Gate USA shows at this point. Hopefully they'll bring in somebody.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:It seems like to me that they've been slowing phasing out the Dragon Gate Talent from Japan. Just look at where they were during WrestleMania Weekend 2012, then last year, now this year. I do agree that the lack of Dragon Gate Talent brings up questions about why they're called Dragon Gate USA shows at this point. Hopefully they'll bring in somebody.
Maybe its time to merge Evolve with DGUSA.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Yeah, I think it would be better if they just dropped one of the names, which would probably be EVOLVE
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So it turns out we will be getting a Japanese Talent at the Dragon Gate USA shows in Masato Tanaka (though he's technically not a Dragon Gate USA Talent). He will be facing Chris Hero at Open The Ultimate Gate 2014 on April 4th.

Also, here's the full card for Evolve 28 on April 3rd:
- EVOLVE Title - Chris Hero vs. Trent Baretta
- Open The United Gate Titles - The Bravado Brothers defend vs. Chuck Taylor & Orange Cassidy (If Taylor & Cassidy Do Not Win, They Will Never Get Another Title Shot vs. Bravados)
- Ricochet Picks Gargano's Opponent - Johnny Gargano vs. Rich Swann
- Gargano Picks Ricochet's Opponent - Ricochet vs. Anthony Nese
- Style Battle Finals Rematch - Drew Gulak vs. Biff Busick
- Special Challenge Match - AR Fox vs. Caleb Konley
- Special Attraction Match - Green Ant vs. Maxwell Chicago

Plus: SHINE Champion Ivelisse, Mr. A & Su Yung of The Premier Athlete Brand, Larry Dallas, more!
What a waste of Green Ant.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Solid card for Evolve 28. Hero vs. Baretta hasn't been booked anywhere else (as far as I remember) so that's a nice, fresh match up. Bravados vs. Gentlemans Club should a decent match, despite everyone hating the Bravados. Gargano vs. Swann is always good. Ricochet vs. Nese should be a good matchup. Gulak/Busick tore the house down in Brooklyn for Evolve 24, and I expect the same here. Indifferent about Fox vs. Konley. Green Ant vs. Chicago should be entertaining, at least.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Bad News: Evolve 19 will be available on DVD in a few days. From everything I heard, it put on the worst booked tournament in wrestling. Good luck getting this show to sell! :roll:

Good News: Open The Ultimate Gate 2013 will be available on DVD in a few days, meaning I'll finally be able to see that awesome Gargano/Shingo Match :) (despite the ending).

Also, out of curiosity, what's the general consensus on the California Shows from January 2013? Was John Morrison's appearance worthwhile? Did the Gargano/Davis No Rope Match deliver? Overall opinions/impression? I'm curious if I should get them...
AmericanDolphin_3

Post by AmericanDolphin_3 »

I bought Golden Gate and Revolt! a few weeks ago.

Golden Gate was all-around solid. The first match was Del Sol/Eita, which really got the crowd heated up. I thought since it was a venue full of mostly kids, they'd be really receptive to the rest of the Dragon Gate action, but I was wrong. Dead as shit. Tozawa/Morrison was solid, but nothing special.

Revolt! was much better. Tozawa/Callihan was pretty good, Cannon/Taylor was surprisingly entertaining, and the No Ropes Match ruled! It was brutal. So many great spots, with a great dose of psychology. I'd pick up the show just for that.

Didn't pick up Heat, but nothing besides the main event looked interesting.

Can't wait to get Ultimate Gate on DVD. I was in the minority of loving the finish, since I think it got Gargano over as a heel in the perfect way. The entire show is really tremendous. Haven't seen EVOLVE 19, but I'll pick it up, just to see if it was as bad as most say.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

Surely it couldn't have been as badly booked KOTR '95. That is the pinnacle of bad. You had all your main eventers lose in the first round.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

AmericanDolphin_3 wrote:Haven't seen EVOLVE 19, but I'll pick it up, just to see if it was as bad as most say.
You're better off just getting the VOD from the WWN site. Don't think it's worth getting the DVD.
Mattxx87 wrote:Surely it couldn't have been as badly booked KOTR '95. That is the pinnacle of bad. You had all your main eventers lose in the first round.
Part of the problem was the iPPV issues, another was that the show was running late and a part of the crowd left early to make it to Supercard of Honor VII on the other side of town. Couple it with the crappy booking and the crowd not really caring, and you have the makings of a shitty tournament and a bad show.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Bucks vs. SSB is worth seeing of course.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

supersonic wrote:Bucks vs. SSB is worth seeing of course.
Nobody wants to see the Super Smash Brothers though [cornette]
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I heard Bucks/SSB was pretty good though not on the same level as their PWG matches.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Gabe announced there will be NO Dragon Gate talent on the Mania weekend shows because "time ran out." Not worth posting the whole statement since it's the usual empty Gabe apology.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

BTW10 wrote:Gabe announced there will be NO Dragon Gate talent on the Mania weekend shows because "time ran out." Not worth posting the whole statement since it's the usual empty Gabe apology.
"Time Ran Out"? What's that supposed to mean?
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

Just read the Gabe apology and people are giving him a lot of shit on his Facebook page. It's well deserved though.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Open the Unscripted Gate
At Our Better Than the Very Best of Our Best
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:"Time Ran Out"? What's that supposed to mean?
This has been a daily thing where every day we think something was about to break. Now the clock has run out.
No idea what this means. He said he'll post another statement on Monday. Should be good for some laughs.
barryrobinson

Post by barryrobinson »

He's more concerned with taking cheap shots at ROH than he is with building his company. The whole "time ran out" excuse is such a joke.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I remember one time I saw Lenny Leonard on Twitter say something to the degree of Larry Dallas & The Scene being better than Truth Martini & The Hoopla and that Truth was a ripoff of Dallas. That made me laugh.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Those were good times I was trolling Leonard.