WWN/EVOLVE Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
icyhot

Re: DGUSA/EVOLVE Thread

Post by icyhot »

187_Joeism wrote:I don´t get why Evolve need a Champion is all against their mentality, mentality that i don´t get after the DGUSA/Evolve fusion.
I wasn't a fan of an EVOLVE champion either. I do think it has a use as a way to build up stars to challenge for the DGUSA title, but I think the DGUSA title should be the focus.
Support REAL Indy Wrestling and small business.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

newfoundmass wrote:EVOLVE is honestly all you need to look at in order to realize Gabe has very little vision. So much about it seems like an afterthought and it has no identity of it's own. Part of it is their attempts at piggy backing off of other independent groups: it's hard to establish a unique look and feel for your company when the matches are being held in CZW's ring, with their distinct colored ring ropes, using their set up etc. I guess they've decided it's acceptable to sacrifice that in order to save a few bucks, but in this day and age "branding" (ugh, I hate that word) is a huge part of the game and they've absolutely failed at it. When you watch a CZW, CHIKARA, or PWG event you know what you're watching just by looking at the ring, the colors, and overall style of the presentation.

In addition, the style of the in-ring product is essentially no different than virtually every other indie out there. It isn't at all unique, nor is the talent they use, aside from a few exceptions. Their concepts, like the win/loss stats, seem to have no real purpose. Match making doesn't seem to be a result of the win/loss records, as you'll see guys with good records facing guys with poor records.

The DGUSA belts being defended on EVOLVE events was always dumb, mainly because there is virtually little chance of the belts ever changing hands on an EVOLVE show. Essentially, those title matches have forgone conclusions (like most of the title matches in ROH were during Gabe's run there.) I don't see a scenario where the EVOLVE title will fair much different.

The name itself doesn't really fit the company. It would have if they'd gone ahead with the more realistic style originally planned when Davey Richards was on board, but it's largely just the same stuff you'll see on dozens of other independent events in the area/around the country. When using words like "evolve" in your company name, it's a good idea to make sure that your company reflects that, otherwise it just looks like you're using the word because it sounds cool and not because it fits what you're actually presenting.

They absolutely should of had a championship, or some kind of honor, from the beginning, but at this point, when I look at all the problems with EVOLVE, their lack of a championship is pretty low on the list.
Captain44

Post by Captain44 »

It's not a big deal, but I've always found it annoying when DGUSA and EVOLVE have their shows in another promotions ring, such as CZW, which was said in the above topic. That annoys me, I think they should at least by their own ring, or rent one that gives them the same look on their shows. I like what DGUSA does, but in the past few months, I've not been as hot on them, I just don't feel the buzz around them like I did say 6 months ago. I like that EVOLVE is getting their own title, but I think they need to stop trying to copying MMA. If I wanted to watch MMA, I'd watch MMA. When I watch wrestling, I want wrestling. Make EVOLVE about the best wrestling you'll see anywhere, and tie that in to wrestling "Evolving" somehow, and give the fans that.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

Evolve is nothing like MMA, I mean Orange Cassidy was on the most recent show.
Captain44

Post by Captain44 »

They try to present Evolve as MMA no matter who appears on a show.
Dog

Post by Dog »

Captain44 wrote:They try to present Evolve as MMA no matter who appears on a show.
I have the first 9 shows on DVD and I have no idea what you're talking about.
SamoaNOAH

Post by SamoaNOAH »

I went to the Boston show, and it was ... missable. Weird booking, dead crowd, and I hated the injury angle on AR Fox because it grounded 2 of the best high flyers in the world.

There was a time I was REALLY hot on DGUSA. And then all the headliners left, while fewer Japanese stars got flewn in. I suppose I should be excited about John Davis, too. But the only guy I love in that promotion is Akira Tozawa, and he needs the title.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

I'm going to my first ever EVOLVE event on December 8. How exciting is it live?
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Anyone ordering the show this saturday? Im going to as its at a decent time for us in the UK and Im looking forward to it. Cabana is on commentary!
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

ROHFanAnthony wrote:I'm going to my first ever EVOLVE event on December 8. How exciting is it live?
Crowd is usually dead, i hope they get a better crowd with the Doubleheader with CZW, i will order the show bring a forum sign :lol:
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

ROHFanAnthony wrote:I'm going to my first ever EVOLVE event on December 8. How exciting is it live?

Show will be good, crowd will be dead. Are you staying for COD? I have front row for both shows, should be a fun time :D
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

I was planning on going to Mike Johnson's bus trip to the shows, but had to back out. I bought a front row seat for the evolve event and when I told them why I had to back out, they refunded me. That was nice.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

PWInsider's Twitter is reporting that John Morrison is headed to Dragon Gate USA.....Can anyone confirm this???
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

It was confirmed on the WWNLive alerts.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:PWInsider's Twitter is reporting that John Morrison is headed to Dragon Gate USA.....Can anyone confirm this???
John is a good fit for the indies.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

According to WWNLive, Morrison will only be appearing on the 25th, which is the first of three of a Triple Shot for DGUSA in California.

Interested to see who he will face. I imagine it will be a singles match since Morrison is a special attraction.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

ippv just finished and it was a very enjoyable show. 3 of the 4 qualifiers were very good, AR Fox/Nese being a particularly great opening match.

Maybe I went into the tag match with too much expectation, felt a little flat at times but fun all the same. I prefer Del Sol in singles matches.

The four way freestyle was action packed and entertaining, shorter than expected, but in my biased view, the right man won, so Im happy there.

The main event didnt disappont, I was worried it was going to turn into a three way involving Davis but thankfully it didnt. Both guys killed each other and did the Freedom Gate title credit. Great stuff.

I love what they are doing with Jon Davis. Maybe its just me, but he's gaining sympathy (being screwed out of title match) and I can see the fans getting behind him in his quest for the title.

I hope EVOLVE/DGUSA start pumping dvds out regulalry because its a company I could definately get behind. I prefer dvds over ippv, unless the shows are on earlier like today, makes it a lot easier for us in Europe when deciding to order ippv.

Id definately recommend checking this show out.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I watched the show, good show awful crowd as always:

-AR Fox vs Tony Nese: ***1/4 (Really fun opener)
-Masada vs Papadon: **1/2 (Decent match, it was good to see Masada wrestling here, Papadon was alright have some potencial)
-Rich Swann vs Jigsaw: ***1/2 (Reallu good non stop match)
-Jon Davis vs Chuck Taylor: ** (Davis have NO reaction at all wich is a shame because i think he is doing a great job)
-El Generico & Samurai Del Sol vs Super Smash Brothers: ***3/4 (Great match, with a better crowd this could have been a MOTY easy)
-Jon Davis vs Rich Swann vs Masada vs AR Fox: **1/2 (This was promoted as a major part of the show and end up being a huge dissapoiment, too short)
-Johnny Gargano vs Sami Callihan: **** (Amazing match, really hard hitting and i liked the finisher counters, shame of the crowd who had no interest at all in the match).

Thumbs Up show for me.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Just a quick question...I'm looking to get into DGUSA/Evolve and I'm curious to know what shows are must see? I'm getting some for Christmas (Evolve 2, 5, 6....Untouchable 2010, Way of the Ronin 2010, United: NYC, Mercury Rising 2012) but I'd like to get some opinions on other good DGUSA/Evolve shows...
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

Evolve 11 with Sami vs Finlay

Evolve 10 as its the last show at the Arena

two Evolve picks for you ;)