WWE Global Cruiserweight Series/Cruiserweight Classic

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: WWE Global Cruiserweight Series

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

JTCole wrote:
According to WWE.com, PROGRESS Wrestling’s Global Cruiserweight Series Qualifying Matches will take place on April 24th in Camden Town, London. The matches announced are…

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Flash Morgan Webster
Jack Gallagher vs. Pete Dunne

WWE.com also confirmed the following Global Cruiserweight Series Qualifying Matches, which will be held by Evolve…

Drew Gulak vs. Tracy Williams
TJ Perkins vs. Fred Yehi
Cool stuff. I'm guessing ZSJ, Dunne, Gulak, & TJP will be the winners.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I'm guessing they messed up in the initial participant announcements as Lince Dorado has replaced ZSJ's spot. Course, Zack is pretty much guaranteed to qualify.

Also those Evolve matches take place at 61.
Tim

Post by Tim »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
JTCole wrote:
According to WWE.com, PROGRESS Wrestling’s Global Cruiserweight Series Qualifying Matches will take place on April 24th in Camden Town, London. The matches announced are…

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Flash Morgan Webster
Jack Gallagher vs. Pete Dunne

WWE.com also confirmed the following Global Cruiserweight Series Qualifying Matches, which will be held by Evolve…

Drew Gulak vs. Tracy Williams
TJ Perkins vs. Fred Yehi
Cool stuff. I'm guessing ZSJ, Dunne, Gulak, & TJP will be the winners.
Gotta disagree about Dunne, I think Gallagher is getting in, he is getting a big push right now. The other three I agree with.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Anybody have any early favorites to win the whole thing? I'm leaning towards Zach Sabre Jr. This whole tournament is outside the box for the WWE. In theory the winner should be too, right?
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Anybody have any early favorites to win the whole thing? I'm leaning towards Zach Sabre Jr. This whole tournament is outside the box for the WWE. In theory the winner should be too, right?
Eh, I think they'll have an in house guy win. La Sombra probably.

Just make sure Chad Gable is in it please.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

You're probably right about La Sombra winning it, I like to go with the long odds though, so I'll stick with ZSJ. Yes, more Chad Gable is always a good thing.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Chad Gable vs Zack Sabre Jr. Just imagine it.
Tim

Post by Tim »

JTCole wrote:Chad Gable vs Zack Sabre Jr. Just imagine it.
Imagine Gable vs Scurll if he gets in.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

JTCole wrote:Chad Gable vs Zack Sabre Jr. Just imagine it.
Yes. A wrestling fan's dream match. This is why I'm looking forward to this tournament so much. Possibilities like this.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I just hope Ricochet can somehow get in.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

JTCole wrote:I just hope Ricochet can somehow get in.
He already said that he won't be in the tournament.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

RevPro's Qualifying Match has been announced. It'll be Noam Dar vs. Josh Bodom.
The race to earn a spot in this summer’s hottest tournament just got a little more exciting, as Revolution Pro Wrestling in the United Kingdom has announced the participants in its qualifying match for the WWE Global Cruiserweight Series. The bout is scheduled to take place on Sunday, May 1, at The Cockpit in London.

Previously confirmed participant Noam Dar of Scotland enters the GCS in the qualifying round. The Israeli-Scottish competitor has made a name for himself as one of the most adaptable wrestlers in the world. Among the U.K.’s premier technical wrestlers, the 22-year-old Dar has shown he can hang with the world’s best in the squared circle, having taken on the likes of AJ Styles, former NXT Champion Finn Bálor, and Austin Aries.

Dar’s opponent in the qualifying match is Josh Bodom. Regarded as one of the hottest prospects in British wrestling, Bodom has made a name for himself against Superstars like Bálor and another GCS competitor, Tommaso Ciampa. He’ll certainly look to ruin Dar’s summer and put himself on the biggest stage possible by earning a spot in the Global Cruiserweight Series.

The all-important qualifying match takes place at Revolution Pro Wrestling’s Live at The Cockpit 8 event on Sunday, May 1, at 5:30 p.m. GMT at The Cockpit in London. For complete information on how you can see this Global Cruiserweight Series qualifier live and in-person, visit RevolutionProWrestling.com. For more information on Revolution Pro Wrestling, follow them on Twitter @RevProUK and like their Facebook page.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

ZSJ and Jack Gallagher are officially in.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I think the winner will be an already under-contract WWE guy. They're using the tournament to make a star, it's going to be one of their own guys.

I'm totally fine with that. I'm looking forward to seeing some people showcased that I haven't seen before, as long as they deliver the goods. Plus there's a almost guaranteed chance some great indy guys get contracts out of this.

Any word on if Gargano or Ciampa is in the tournament? I could actually see one of them winning since they've apparently signed something, and they're known in the NXT universe but aren't established as singles stars. If WWE has interest in a singles push for either this would be a good way to kick it off.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I just hope they don't make another title coming out of this. Just give the winner a trophy or something.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Any word on if Gargano or Ciampa is in the tournament? I could actually see one of them winning since they've apparently signed something, and they're known in the NXT universe but aren't established as singles stars. If WWE has interest in a singles push for either this would be a good way to kick it off.
Gargano & Ciampa were two of the seven names "leaked" by Triple H in a recent conference call. Now some of those names he announced went back and did qualifying matches anyway (like Zack Sabre Jr.), but since Gargano & Ciampa are in NXT already, I don't think they need to participate in qualifying matches.
Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I just hope they don't make another title coming out of this. Just give the winner a trophy or something.
I think the plan is to make it a yearly thing so it'll probably be just a trophy, or something like that...
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

So here's who we know will be in the tournament:

- Rich Swann
- Johnny Gargano
- Tommasso Ciampa
- Ho Ho Lun
- Akira Tozawa
- Lince Dorado
- Zack Sabre, Jr.
- Jack Gallagher
- Winner of TJP/Yehi on May 7th
- Winner of Gulak/Wiliams on May 7th
- Winner of Dar/Bodom on May 1st

Does anyone know how many people will be in the tournament exactly? I saw 32 somewhere but didn't know if that was confirmed or not.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

It's 32.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So Drew Gulak & TJ Perkins won their respective qualifying matches at Evolve 61.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So apparently this tournament is now being called the WWE Cruiserweight Classic. No idea why they changed the name, but WWE has supposed filed to trademark the terms "Cruiserweight Classic" & "CWC", so there you go.