HRW High Risk Wrestling

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
DBSommer

HRW High Risk Wrestling

Post by DBSommer »

Don't actually know a lot about the promotion. But I did buy one of their cards.

Review for Stocking Stuffer (High Risk Wrestling)

Got this for the 3 'main event' matches and at a reasonable price. One of the cameras is of higher quality than the other, which is jarring. Annouce team is basic but not annoying. I actually am only unfamiliar with most of the guys in 3 of the matches, though. And we start off with one of them

4 Way Battle: Moose (with Magic Man) vs. Christian Rose vs. Blake Belakis vs. Tony Kozina

Yes, everyone does wisely attack Moose early on, though he fends them off for a while. Once he's beaten down, they turn on one another. Actually a decent enough opener.

**1/2

Jonathon Gresham vs. Arik Cannon

Face Cannon and heel Gresham end up having a far more technical bout on Cannon's part than you might suspect. Enjoyed this one. While not great Cannon is better than people give him credit for. He's solid and can work any style.

Chuck Taylor vs. Jigsaw

First observation, Jigsaw needs to go back to baggy pants as standard shorts highlight his skinny legs. Can't rate this high as it's only like 6 minutes and Taylor dominates it. It's weird because the two know each other and could have had a far better match.

Clusterfuck Extravaganza:

Mike Sydal & Bolt Brady vs. The New New Midnight Express ('Bad' Brad Charles & 'Tenacious' Tyler Cook) w/ Beautiful Bobby Eaton

Yes, Bobby Eaton has been drinking, doing meth, and sniffing glue all at the same time again and this is the result: 2 random guys he bumped into on the street and mistook for his old tag team partners are given the ME name. Bart and Bob now appear to be true heir apparents after all.

The match listing on the cover gives away what happens, while not hurting things a bit since this was both a bad match and terrible booking all in one. So the rather inexperienced generic NNME beat on Brady for way too long, Sydal never getting in the ring. When Brady goes for the hot tag, Sydal leaves the apron and joins the NNME. The ref then makes it a 3 on 1 match on the spot.

What the hell?

Well, this leaves two openings on the Bolt team, so Moose shows up with Magic Man, his 95 year old manager who looks worse in tights than I do. MM hits one sloppy move and tags in Moose, who gives a bunch of awkward headbutts which are probably the best moves in the match. Inexplicably, Bolt blind tags back in (spending one whole minute on the apron after his 8 minute beatdown) only to get immidately pinned.

I could never have conceived of a match like this. Then again, I know better than to do my drinking, meth, and glue sniffing at the same time.

For the vacant HRW tag team championship.

reDRagon (O'Reilly & Fish) vs. Silver Ant & Fire Ant

One of the main reasons I go this is that this is almost certainly a one time thing. I haven't seen RD do the indy circuit much, so this was a treat. Both teams delivered a good match. Not crazy or out of this world, but they didn't take the night off. My only tiny complain is that it probably could have gone a few more minutes. Still a really enjoyable match.

***3/4

Uhaa Nation vs. Michael Elgin

Apparently this is a rematch, and likely the last time the pair will meet. Sadly, this was incredibly disappointing. The structure of the match was to blame, along with Uhaa borderline taking the night off. He has almost no sustained offence in the beginning, and even in the end he didn't do a whole lot. To top things off, we have a terrible angle where Bobby's Alliance comes out to ruin the match by grabbing the ref. Elgin wanders off, leaving Uhaa behind. Moose then comes out and promptly spears him and joins the whatever the hell they'll be called.

**3/4.

HRW Championship: ACH (c) vs. Riccocet

And here we have redemption. Both guys show up and deliver in what I assume is a rare meeting (they've probably met in PWG, but I couldn't tell you where else). It's not insane and nuts, but more like a real solid performance by both guys who click really well.

***3/4

This is maybe a $5 buy or less. 3 matches are worth seeing. No overdelivering, and some under.