The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Mr. Orange

The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

Post by Mr. Orange »

Hey all!

Anyone on here watching PROGRESS Wrestling? I started with Chapter 13, the whole show is for free on Youtube and I thought the show was a good wrestling show with an amazing crowd and cool atmosphere. I skipped Chapter 14 and watched both Chapter's 15 and 16 and by god were those some great shows.

I just finished Chapter 16. Chapter 16 had two great matches with Marty Scurll vs. Noam Dar(I gave it ****) and Paul Robinson vs. Will Opsreay(I gave it ****1/4). And a really good main event in Dave Mastiff vs. Rampage Brown vs. Jimmy Havoc (***1/2) and a good street fight earlier in the night with El Ligero and Michael Gilbert (***1/4).

Chapter 15 was also great and was capped off with an unbelievable main event 8 man tag which I gave ****1/2.

I recommend checking out these shows if you haven't already cause I think the company deserves a lot more attention. The best way to describe it is a PWG atmosphere with actual story lines that make the matches even more enjoyable. Also figured here would be a good place to discuss the shows for the people that do watch them.

I'll attach the link to the free Chapter 13 show here for anyone who wants to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it2coTptmlM
Thelone

Re: The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

Post by Thelone »

I bought the box set with the first ten shows but barely had time to watch anything yet, just a bunch of matches from the first show.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Progress is special. People compare it to PWG fairly frequently, but I'd say that's more RPW. When you're at PWG or RPW it's an indy supercard. When you're at PROGRESS it feels so special and underground, almost like a kind of cult feel. I've heard comparisons to ECW in the way it feels underground, cultish and just cool (not PWG wrestling fan cool, but just general cool) but having never been at a live ECW show I can't really verify that comparison.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

I love the feel of the venue they are in but it seems like they are outgrowing it. Tickets for the shows are starting to sell out in minutes. I just wish they got the shows out sooner for download. Like Chapter 16 happened in November I believe and it just came out yesterday for download. That's my only complaint so far.

The Jimmy Havoc vs. Jim Smallman and Progress storyline is great. They also have some really good video packages on their Youtube channel hyping the story lines. They announced that they are going to start doing shows more frequently starting in May which is great.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Progress announced a on demand service at the show today. And it's already live at www.demand-progress.com

£4.99/$7.40 a month.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

They're still in the process of putting up the backlog of shows though.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

That Demand-Progress thing is awesome. I wonder if this is the first step to other indies like ROH and Evolve having similar services.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

I prefer the Buy/Download option, I can then watch on my tablet, no internet connection needed. I would hope more indies would adopt that.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Good to see that more indie wrestling companies (PROGRESS, SMASH Wrestling) are starting On-Demand Services. Hopefully ROH follows suit sooner rather than later.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

Yeah I wish ROH had a monthly pay service with all of the old classic shows on it.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

They kind of do, they just haven't gone all the way with it
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

Got around to watching Chapter 18 this afternoon. It was a really good show. I loved the main event and the post match angle. Probably give it ****1/4. Really looking forward to the weekender in May.

Also this was one of my first exposures to the Sumerian Death Squad as a team and they are sick. They were pretty much in an elongated squash but some of the moves they hit were unbelievable.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

Just finished up watch the Progress Super Strong Style 16 tournament and it was really great. Night 1 was a solid wrestling show with a couple of very good matches. I gave Strong vs. Tommy End ***3/4, Gibson vs. Sabre Jr. ***3/4, and The London Riots vs. Havoc and Robinson ****. Only matches I didn't really like were Dar vs. Mastiff(It was more of an angle advancement) and Ciampa vs. Damo O'connor but everything else on this show was good and in the three star range. So a good night of wrestling but you could definitely tell they were saving up some stuff for tomorrow.

Night two review will be in the Spoiler section below so if you want to watch Night 1 not being spoiled. But it was great and I highly recommend. If you want to check out the shows go to Progresswrestling.com and sign up for their demand Progress service. It's 5 pounds but for us Americans thats like $7.40. It's worth it.
Spoiler: show
Night two was a long show but sprinkled with great matches. The quarter finals saw Ospreay vs. Haskins (***1/4) Strong vs.Rampage Brown(**1/2) Scurll vs. Mastiff(***) and Ciampa vs. Sabre Jr. (****). Ciampa vs Sabre Jr. was just awesome and the atmosphere and finish were great. I really recommend that one.

Next we had Pollyanna vs. Jinny(***3/4) Really good match here. I thought it went on maybe a few minutes too long but that was just my taste. Seeing what other people thought it seems like a lot of people liked this even more then me so maybe you will too. It was pretty violent too with a lot of weapons which was cool.

Next was the semi finals, Ospreay vs. Strong (****1/4) and Sabre Jr. vs. Scurll (***). Ospreay vs Strong was insane. Really fast paced. I loved every second of it. Sabre vs Scurll went on a little long for me for the style of match they had. It was a lot of cool submissions but the pace was just very slow and didn't really pick up until the very end. This match also had a lot of comedy in it which I wasn't really expecting. I enjoyed the Sabre vs. Gibson submission style match a lot more from the night before.

The Tag Title Match followed which was a good contest between The Sumerian Death Squad and The Origin(***1/4) . Excited the SDS are champs and hopefully they fight the Riots at Chapter 20. I skipped the scramble just because I just wanted to get to the main event.

And finally this main event was just great. Ospreay vs Sabre Jr (****1/4) Just an awesome match and probably my favorite match all weekend. Really great stuff here. Post match angle saw Regression come down and assault both guys. It will be Ospreay vs Havoc at Chapter 20. Havoc demands it's no disqualification and says all the fans here call themselves one big progress family because no one outside of here wants to be friends with them. Havoc was gold here and is really one of the best heels around right now in my opinion. Havoc turns to leave and Smallman says that the Riots will be in Ospreays corner at Chapter 20. Ospreay gets on the mic and says Havoc won't ruin his moment tonight and that at Chapter 20 he's taking him on with 700 progress family members having his back along with the Riots. And that's the end.

Really good ending segment. Only one thing I hated was that Havoc took out an ax and was threatening to behead Ospreay. Now I know he's supposed to be an evil motherfucker but it was obviously not going to happen due to you know him being dead and all that. I thought it would have gotten a better reaction if it was like a barbed wire bat or something that people might actually think Havoc will hit him with. Other then that it was a great show and I highly recommend it and the Demand Progress service in general. It's cheap and I've watched most of their shows since I got into it a few months ago and it's up there with ROH and New Japan as my favorite companies to follow now.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Mr. Orange wrote:
Spoiler: show
Really good ending segment. Only one thing I hated was that Havoc took out an ax and was threatening to behead Ospreay. Now I know he's supposed to be an evil motherfucker but it was obviously not going to happen due to you know him being dead and all that. I thought it would have gotten a better reaction if it was like a barbed wire bat or something that people might actually think Havoc will hit him with.
This actually reminds me of a Beyond Wrestling Show from last year (I think it was Americanrana 2014) that had Anthony Stone vs. Nicholas Kaye in a Throw In The Towel Match (each had someone in their corner, and the only way a person could win is if the opposing person's corner person threw in the towel for who they were cornering. It's a variation of an I Quit Match). The match ended when Kaye got tied to the ropes, and Stone brought out a freaking chainsaw, which forced Myke Quest (Kaye's cornerman) to throw in the towel. I get what they were going for, but it came off as very whacky & cartoonish, much like the incident with Jimmy Havoc that you mentioned. You can't suspend your disbelief for something like that.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Come December Progress are going to start running Manchester regularly alongside their London shows.

Good to see them expanding.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

For anybody interested in getting into PROGRESS, I'm in the process of producing a guide to PROGRESS' history. You can find it here:

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/forum/ ... p=294#p294
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Seems like the Manchester show is as good as sold out
christoffer

Post by christoffer »

Two must see matches in Progress chapter 26
Marty Scurll vs Mark Haskins ****1/2
Jack Gallager vs Timothy Thatcher ****
christoffer

Post by christoffer »

Wrestlers in Super Strong Style Tournament
May 29 and 30

- Sami Calihan
- Mikey Whiplash
- Mark Haskins
- Tommy End
- Pete Dunne
- Rampage Brown
- Matt Cross
- Dave Mastiff
- Zack Sabre Jr
- Mark Andrews
- Damon Moser
- Big Daddy Walter
- Zack Gibson
- Kenny Williams
- Chris Hero
- TK Cooper
iamloco724

Post by iamloco724 »

Im looking to get into PROGRESS where should i start at chapter 1 or is there a better place to start to get up to date?