Lucha Underground thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Pogo

Re: Lucha Underground thread

Post by Pogo »

I can't decide what to believe about Dickinson.He tries to be famous like a heel very hard but he fails or he is a disgusting legit piece of shit!
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Eh pretty dumb move on his and the bookers part. But it's not like a major wrestling promotion would ever exploit a wrestlers death for the sake of heel heat...
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I don't know if I necessarily agree with that. I don't remember a heel trying to get cheap heat off the deaths of Owen Hart or Misawa.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

I was referencing the Guerrero stuff. And I know they are not exact situations but in my view at least it is close enough to make the comparison.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I can see that parallel, but I'm thinking in ring deaths are taboo.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

For me personally it doesn't make that much of a difference, in-ring or out someone dying should be off limits. But you are right, in-ring deaths are probably much more taboo for the audience as a whole.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I agree. Exploiting a wrestler's death is bullshit either way. JT Cole posted earlier they haven't even told Perro Sr. yet. I'm sure he'd love to hear how not only his son died in the ring, but JAPW utilized it as an opportunity to get cheap heat on a heel. I don't see how that's good for the business.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Sandy Fork wrote:And people want Dickinson in ROH....
He's good, why shouldn't we? Grow a thicker skin, look at who the World Champion is, and read the post above yours.

Why is this discussion even in the LU thread?
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Jay Briscoe posted a Twitter rant. He didn't use it in a promo to get cheap heat. And in Sandy Fork's defense he did say he didn't know where to import this news. Additionally, it's not about having thicker skin. If you see no problem exploiting a wrestler's in ring death, then you must be in favor of angles that promote racism and sexism.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:If you see no problem exploiting a wrestler's in ring death, then you must be in favor of angles that promote racism and sexism.
PfffftHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Is this a joke? Sarcasm & internet don't mix too well.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Mil Muertes vs. Fenix was unbelievable.
Also loved Mundo/Cuerno.. LU is just awesome.
MOOSE!
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I just recently started watching some of the LU matches after seeing all the good reviews. I'll definitely be checking out some more!
That cage match was maybe the best cage match I've seen from the modern era. Reminiscent of those old school NWA cage matches where there was a very real sense of danger added because of the cage rather than just something to climb.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

DieHard wrote:Mil Muertes vs. Fenix was unbelievable.
I predict and hope that at the end of year that makes a lot of MOTY lists! It cannot be stated enough how good it was
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

I didn't realize some of these matches were posted publically. I will give it a look. While I enjoy lucha, I'm not a huge fan of it either. it's one of those things I like in limited doses.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

90% of the Lucha they air are just complete spotfests, in the negative meaning of the word. Most non-lucha stuff has been pretty good.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Yeah, a lot of the wrestling on Lucha Underground is Luchadores wrestling the US indy style.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

I don´t know if it´s really US indy style, but I have never really watched any lucha before LU, so I don't really know how it compares to Mexican lucha libre. I do know that almost everything not involving Johnny Mundo or Prince Puma (though to a little lesser extent), and maybe a few other guys like Cage, Son of Havoc, and Angelico too, are just pointless spotfests like the current best of five series that is going on between Drago and Aerostar, neither of whom sees necessity in executing an Irish whip correctly.
The booking has bee pretty awful too, IMO, though I kinda got myself spoiled on the fact that
Spoiler: show
they'll be introducing trio tag championships on an episode that was taped a little over a month ago (don't know when it will air), which I'm pretty excited to see, as I'm a big fan of quick paced six man tags
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Personally, I'm not a fan of lucha style as a generalization but some of the matches seem Americanized enough. The mid-card matches are more of the traditional lucha style but the main events I've seen (somewhat limited amount) have had better psychology.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Last weeks main event was totally classic lucha.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I finally was able to catch some LU. I definitely will be following this promotion from now on. I thoroughly enjoyed the Fenix/Muertes casket match. Agreed it's not traditional lucha, but I found it entertaining nonetheless. Is Konnan the booker?