Lucha Underground thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Northwoods_Nightmare

Re: Lucha Underground thread

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I finally checked some LU out and was pleasantly surprised to see the overhead camera directly above the ring. The only other time I recall seeing this is Flair vs Race. I always thought it was a cool camera angle and wondered why no one really uses it.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I finally checked some LU out and was pleasantly surprised to see the overhead camera directly above the ring. The only other time I recall seeing this is Flair vs Race. I always thought it was a cool camera angle and wondered why no one really uses it.
It's used a lot by WWE in their ladder matches, more specifically MITB matches and in the past TLC matches.
Fidel Costco

Post by Fidel Costco »

Been in and out of lucha libre for years and I've been interested in seeing Lucha Underground since it was first announced. But, I don't have cable. But thank the internet gods for Youtube.

I love that guys like Matt Cross, B-Boy, Ricochet, Fenix, King Cuerno/El Hijo del Fantasma, Blue Demon Jr., and a woman wrestler like Sexy Star getting national exposure in the US. Plus, Rick Knox is there!

I know it's taped, and some of the crowd noises are canned, but seeing lucha libre with production values is odd.

I'm impressed by the quality of matches, and even the storylines (except the overall plot and concept). Matt Striker is simultaneously awesome and awkward on commentary.

Does anyone know why Ivelisse was released from WWE?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I really enjoyed the Johnny Mundo/Big Ryck/Prince Puma Ladder Match. Found it very entertaining.
Fidel Costco

Post by Fidel Costco »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I wish I got this station.

Any idea why the name/character changes for established guys like Ricochet, Hennigan, Reyes, etc?
I'd imagine, for Hennigan, at least, it's a matter of Hennigan not being the most snappy of ring names.

I can see Prince Puma being being a gimmick that needed a wrestler and Ricochet fit it really well. The Prince Puma persona (eh? alliteration.) screams luchador. While his name is "Puma," look at his tights and mask, they're spotted, like a jaguar and the jaguar is closely associated with Mexican and Mexican-American culture.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Fidel Costco wrote:Does anyone know why Ivelisse was released from WWE?
Attitude problem.
Fidel Costco

Post by Fidel Costco »

BTW10 wrote:
Fidel Costco wrote:Does anyone know why Ivelisse was released from WWE?
Attitude problem.
That's unfortunate. I'd like to see them bring her back. I always thought she was solid.
thatwrestlingshow

Post by thatwrestlingshow »

Wow, this show is so fun and refreshing. I have been burnt out on the majority of American wrestling, especially on TV. The choice to completely embrace melodrama has been amazing, and my friends who have no interest in wrestling (my wrestling video package past is a novelty) even love it. The only wrestling show you can binge watch. Can't reccomend it highly enough!
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Remember not that long ago when The Young Bucks made comments on Twitter that they were "offended" by a contract offer they had received? The promotion in question was apparently Lucha Underground (who are still trying to reach out to them, apparently).
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Aztec Warfare was pretty awesome this week
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Spoiler: show
Alberto El Patron made his debut with Lucha Underground at their TV Tapings last night.

https://twitter.com/LuchaElRey/status/5 ... 3094105089
@LuchaElRey
Ladies and gentlemen, Alberto El Patron (@VivaDelRio) has entered the #LuchaUnderground temple!
MHDogg

Post by MHDogg »

Just wanted to give this thread a bump. I finally started watching Lucha Underground over this past weekend. It's a lot of fun and between LU and NJPW there is some great quality wrestling to watch right now!
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

LU has been pretty good, but I don't think I would compare them to NJPW, or like, put them in the same sentence. (And I'm not even that huge of a fan of NJPW)
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Caught the first 7 episodes, and I am very entertained and loving the overall product. It's got a nice feel to it. Nice mix of action and wrestling.

The obvious: Prince Puma is awesome.

I am also very impressed with Drago, someone I know has been wrestling for a while, but I haven't gotten to see as I don't watch AAA.

I've heard a lot of names over the years, like Fenix and Pentagon Jr., but I'm not terrible impressed just yet. Clean matches, but nothing stands out just yet.

Excited to get caught up.
MHDogg

Post by MHDogg »

I wasn't saying that NJPW and LU are comparable by any means. They are two very different products. I was just saying that for me it's exciting to have two products that I am so excited about right now.
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Best show along with NXT
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

So apparently now that Mysterio has finally been freed from WWE, I would bet he works the next set of tapings.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I'm actually really excited to see Rey Mysterio in Lucha Underground. Should be a lot of fun.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Gosh damn. A great time to be a wrestling fan for sure.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I'm actually really excited to see Rey Mysterio in Lucha Underground. Should be a lot of fun.
So many matchups I want to see; topping the list of course if Rey vs. Puma.