Lucha Underground thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: Lucha Underground thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

What's interesting is that Ricochet could feasibly leave sooner since Season 3 starts tomorrow (compared to when it was reported that Season 3 wasn't going to start until early 2017). It's 40 Episodes, so (I believe) Season 3 will be culminated sometime in mid-June.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I saw Aztec Warfare 3 where Sexy Star won the title.........I have generally enjoyed LU to this point, but man did they miss the boat here in terms of booking this match.

I'm fine with Sexy winning, put the strap on a woman, cool, I'm down with that......BUT.......the way you had Matanza go down.............how lame. The guy runs rough shot over the entire roster, never being tested the entire time.......and one foot stomp through a table and he gets pinned??

LAME. Lazy ass booking in my opinion.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Pentagon Dark is pretty damn good. Would be cool to see him in NXT with the same gimmick.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
The item noted last week regarding no tapings until the fall of 2017 has led to a lot of frustration. The talent had kept weekend dates free starting in February, or if they had dates, many had canceled them, and now they have to get new bookings for February, March and April. The frustration is that after all these years, they haven’t broken out, it’s only seasonal work, but those seven season contracts which, except for a few people aren’t high dollar deals, are keeping everyone from exploring working in places like WWE, New Japan and ROH. There is top talent who are trying to see if they can legally get themselves free from the deals and explore working elsewhere. Most of the talent is still happy this company is still around because it’s a regular paycheck in season (with the exception of guys like Rey Mysterio who are on guaranteed annual big money deals, most talent is paid per television show they are on at the time the show is taped). But the hope was that by this point they’d be more of a force, be huge in the Hispanic community (in fact, they still don’t have a Spanish language outlet after having it in season one and thus are seen by far fewer than at the start of the promotion with the 200,000 to 250,000 viewers weekly in season one on Unimas), there would be house shows and people would be making merchandise money.
Brada

Post by Brada »

So Cage wins a Bionic arm? What kind of unique opportunity is that?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

FUCK YES

I absolutely thought it was all over. I'm so glad to have been proven wrong.

Now we have to see if they're still going to book all the people no longer working for AAA. Pentagon, Fenix, Brian Cage, Jack Evans, etc.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I don't watch LU, but . . . awesome? Bonkers that no wrestling promotion will ever shut down again, ever.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Wilson wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:36 pm I don't watch LU, but . . . awesome? Bonkers that no wrestling promotion will ever shut down again, ever.
You don't watch Lucha Underground? [cornette]
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Meltzer:
Lucha Underground has been officially renewed for a fourth season. There is a lot to this, but officially the next set of tapings are to be filmed early next year. The talk we've heard is March. For some talent, this is good news, but for the talent under contract that wants to sign with New Japan or WWE, this is not good news. This doesn't make a difference regarding either Ricochet or Rey Mysterio Jr., who are gone from the promotion and their contracts have expired. But it does regarding people like Penta 0M, Jeff Cobb or others.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

It's a shame Prince Puma isn't going to be a part of season 4. The show really seemed like he was going to end up the ultimate hero when the full story played out.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

famicommander wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:22 pm You don't watch Lucha Underground? [cornette]
Watched the first season. It was fine. (I tend to struggle with continuing television shows after season breaks.) I'm glad that a promotion like Lucha Underground exists.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Lucha Underground is, in my opinion, the best weekly wrestling television show there has ever been.

It's not the best promotion ever because they don't really run big shows like PPVs or tour, but I'd put the three seasons of Lucha up against any three years of Raw, Smackdown, Nitro, Hardcore TV, Impact, ROH TV, etc.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

famicommander wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 am Lucha Underground is, in my opinion, the best weekly wrestling television show there has ever been.

It's not the best promotion ever because they don't really run big shows like PPVs or tour, but I'd put the three seasons of Lucha up against any three years of Raw, Smackdown, Nitro, Hardcore TV, Impact, ROH TV, etc.
He convinced me. Give me my dollar back. Oops wrong movie quote. I will try it again. Maybe my uneven viewing habits when the first season debuted contributed to my negative opinion of it.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

At least give it until the first Aztec Warfare match. If you don't get it by then it may not be for you, but personally, I think it's fantastic.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Most of the talent was signed for seven season deals, which were fine at the time since most signed were either not planning on going anywhere else on television, or were people who had no name in the U.S. market to begin with.

It is possible some will take their contracts to court since they haven’t been paid since the summer of 2016, and there is a question of being able to hold somebody to a contract from summer 2016 until spring 2018 without paying them.

One person close to the situation described it to me as being told you’ve been drafted to go to war. You don’t want to go, but you really don’t have a choice and just hope the tour of duty is short. It’s a 180 degree difference from after season one, where everyone was hoping there would be a season two (there was always going to be a season three because when the decision was made to fund season two, it was made to continue through a third season and to get 100 episodes in the can).
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

I have a strong feeling that James Storm is going to show up for season 4.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
None of this is official and talent that we’ve contacted hasn’t been told any of this, but the working battle plan for the new season would be to start taping on 2/16 and tape through mid-March. The idea is with heavy cost-cutting involved, to do tapes on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights most weeks, perhaps two taping days other weeks, and the 2018 season would be 21 episodes, cut well down from the number from past years. They did attempt to get Rey Mysterio Jr. back for the new season but Mysterio, whose contract has expired, has agreed to be the face of Arolucha and also has at least another significant deal in the works so turned it down.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I wonder what that other significant deal in the works is for Rey.

Hopefully ROH/NJPW.

I also wonder just how much cash is behind AroLucha, because Rey doesn't come cheap even if his boy Konnan is running the ship.

21 episodes is disappointing but the sting won't be as bad if they renew it and then get the next season back on the air much more quickly. Hopefully the cost cutting measures are effective enough to keep this thing going.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Not that I'd dare presume too many people are interested (although I have been getting messages asking me why I'm QUITE so far behind on ROH reviews) - but having finally tracked down a way to reliably watch it here in the UK I've become a little bit obsessed with Lucha Underground.

I'm most of the way through Season 2, but because I both a) can't stop binge-watching it and b) am too lazy to sit-down, half-ass a proof read and post my own reviews to my site it has taken an absolute eternity to get reviews live on my archive website.

However, I've finally got my complete Season 1 reviews live, posted, up and visible - via the link below.

http://mcxalsreviews.yolasite.com/luseason1-index.php

Thanks all!