Revolution Pro Wrestling (RPW) Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
supersonic

Re: Revolution Pro Wrestling (RPW) Thread

Post by supersonic »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I've seen a number of people on Twitter actually prefer the Okada/Aries matchup over Okada/Ricochet.
While it'll be difficult due to their NJPW positioning as well as them working different companies in the States, Ricochet vs. Okada can still plausibly happen in the near future. This is likely going to be the ONLY time Aries vs. Okada can ever take place, even if TNA dies.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

supersonic wrote: While it'll be difficult due to their NJPW positioning as well as them working different companies in the States, Ricochet vs. Okada can still plausibly happen in the near future. This is likely going to be the ONLY time Aries vs. Okada can ever take place, even if TNA dies.
Good Point.
Robareid wrote:Most of them are people who are unfamiliar with Ricochet.
But hasn't Ricochet already wrestled on several RPW shows already with Rich Swann as the Inner City Machine Guns?
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Yeah, I guess. I just don't see how people can think Aries is above Ricochet in 2014.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

My review of Okada vs. Aries:

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/1 ... es-review/

Styles announced for next big show in February.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

RPW have started doing shows on VOD. You can purchase Uprising on VOD for $12.99 and download or stream online for a dollar less.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/uprising14

I'll have a review of this show up sometime over the next week.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Robareid wrote:RPW have started doing shows on VOD. You can purchase Uprising on VOD for $12.99 and download or stream online for a dollar less.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/uprising14

I'll have a review of this show up sometime over the next week.
$12.99 is a pretty good price. Will they be adding past shows, or are they just doing their most recent show for now?
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

In reply to somebody saying:
Do you guys have any other shows on demand?
every show, including many unreleased on DVD will be available soon.
That may be going forward, but I read it as that they'll be sticking their back catalog of DVDs + a few more up there in the near future.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Their last five DVD shows are now up.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Robareid wrote:Their last five DVD shows are now up.
:D

Tell them I said Thank You!!
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

They've thrown a load more shows up, including Okada vs. Aries from this year.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Revolution Pro Wrestling “High Stakes”
Saturday, March 15, 2014
York Hall
London, UK

Andy Boy Simmons and Oliver Bennett are on commentary tonight.

Josh Bodom vs. Jay Lethal
We kick off the night with some cruiserweight action, pitting established ROH and former TNA star against the relatively inexperienced at 18 months Josh Bodom. After the introductions Jay Lethal ran through his Black Machismo and Black Nature Boy shtick, before the two of them entered into some flowing chain wrestling. This one told a nice little story of Lethal not taking Bodom 100% seriously, and Bodom scouting Lethal really well. After reversing the Lethal Injection into an O’Connor roll and narrowly missing out on the win from that, he closed the deal by reversing the Lethal Injection and then hitting a superkick followed by a jumping rope piledriver. This was the biggest win in young Josh’s career, and a good showing for him. Enjoyable opener. ***

Mark Andrews vs. Sha Samuels
Andrews is one of the UK’s top high flyers going up against the East End Butcher, the former and longest reigning British Heavyweight Champion. This was somewhat of a grudge match, with Samuels having assaulted and tied Andrews up on a previous show. This started off quickly with Andrews hitting a suicide dive into Sha as he was making his entrance. Mark was on fire for about a minute, and nearly stole a win right from the off with a 450. Sha then managed to turn things around by catching him out of mid-air when going for a springboard forearm smash and hit a big spinebuster.

Samuels then dominated a good chunk of the match, stopping Andrews’ three flurries prematurely by catching him when going for a high flying move then hitting a fall away slam, a powerbomb and later a scoop powerslam. The finish came later when Andrews low bridged Samuels, and followed up with another suicide dive but Samuels hit him with a hellacious chair shot as he was coming through the ropes, causing the DQ.

This match told the classic big vs. small story, with Andrews showing great underdog fire and Samuels cutting off his comebacks in a great fashion. It’s a shame that the match ended prematurely with the disqualification, because I was really enjoying it. ***

Sha then laid in a brutal beating on Andrews with the chair, until out came a returning Terry Frazier to stop him. He pulled the chair away from Samuels, but then turned heel by smashing Andrew in the face with a brutal chair shot to the head. The marked the reunification of the Kartel, former tag team champions who would soon go onto win the straps together again. Samuels, after several more chair shots, lifted him into a fireman’s carry position, and Frazier ran the ropes and hit a boot to Andrews’ face while spun him out like in an F5 but instead of falling backwards he fell forwards hitting him with a side slam.

Undisputed British Tag Team Championships: Inner City Machine Guns vs. Swords of Essex (c)
I’m sooooo hyped for this one. Swords of Essex are ten year plus veteran Paul Robinson and young prodigy Will Ospreay, two fantastic high flyers and an amazing tag team, and you all know the ICMG. These teams feel almost as if they were made to face each other, so this should be special.

And it was. Not only did this match have the amazing fast paced high flying you’d expect out of these two teams, it also had some really satisfying technical wrestling smattered throughout. The crowd really believed the Swords had won when they hit a corner crossbody/knee strike combo, followed by a tilt a whirl DDT from Robinson and punctuated by a beautiful shooting star press from Ospreay. Swann came in from the floor to break it up at the very final second though. The finish came when Swann hit a tope con hilo onto Ospreay, allowing Ricochet and Robinson to battle unrestrained. Ricochet went for the Benadryller, but Robinson ducked the kick and went for a 450 kick of his own. Ricochet also ducked, ran the ropes and knocked Paul down to one knee with a Superman punch. This allowed Ricochet to hoist him back up and hit a picture perfect Benadryller (although I don’t really “get” that move) for the victory, and we have new tag team champions.

This match was just a tonne of excitement, exactly what you want from these four, but they also managed to keep it well grounded. You didn’t have any stupid kickouts, every time you thought “he’s taken too much to kickout” it was a pinfall breakup and not a kickout which kept the match going. I really appreciate that. The crowd absolutely loved the match, they were going crazy throughout, and especially for the closing stretch which in itself lasted about five minutes. Sadly though, and some will view this as me being picky, what really hurt this match for and stopped it breaking up into the four star plus territory was them ignoring tag legalities from midway through the match. When I say that I don’t mean people are coming into the ring without being legal, I’m fine with that, I mean that pins were occurring between illegal participants. It destroys the logic of the heat segment from earlier in the match where tags were used, and is something that is a really big negative for me when watching tag matches. For the pure excitement and fun though, this match was still really good. ***3/4

Tag Team Number 1 Contendership Match: Young Bucks vs. Project Ego
In many ways, this is a very similar match to the one that took place on the other side of intermission, featuring a fast paced British team against a high profile fast paced US team. Project Ego is made up of Kris Travis, who is sadly now out of wrestling fighting cancer but hopes to be back some day, and Martin Kirby. I think I may even be looking forward to this one slightly more than the previous match, because I prefer the Bucks to ICMG by a bit. This was back when Matt had a cast on his hand though, and I felt that it did negatively affect them slightly, so maybe not. Either way, this is still a match I’m really looking forward to. The winner of this one would go onto face ICMG on the next show.

The crowd is split about 50/50 between the two teams during the introductions, but as the match went on Project Ego worked subtle heel and the crowd went all out in their support of the Bucks. Kris took control of the match early by working over the casted arm of Matt Jackson, and the two Brits then proceeded to cut him off from his partner. This played into the closing stretch of the match, with Matt losing a forearm exchange due to only being able to strike with his right arm. A great little touch, who says the Bucks don’t tell stories?

My favourite spot of the match was Kirby sliding underneath the turnbuckle pads through the ring then out the other side, hitting Nick with a baseball slide which pushed him into the path of Travis’ Tope con Hilo. The timing for that spot had to be so perfect, as Travis was already in mid move as Kirby was hitting the slide, and had they been slightly off he’s have crashed out to the floor with nobody to catch him.

The Young Bucks earned the title shot at the end of a long and amazing finishing stretch. Nick was on the outside, and Matt was propped up in the corner. Kirby ran in first and ate a boot to the face, but then Kris ran in and grabbed Kirby in a spinning facelock as if he was going for a Tornado DDT without actually giving him the DDT part and hit Matt with a gamengiri. As Matt staggered out of the corner they elevated him up in a double team crucifix, but before they could execute whatever they were going for Nick was back in the ring and hit a gunshot sounding superkick taking out Kris. This dropped Matt back to his feet, and the Bucks hit a double superkick on Martin. An apron soccer kick to Kris followed up by a springboard tandem tombstone on Kirby, and that was all she wrote.

This was a very good Young Bucks match, by which I mean it had tonnes of exciting, fun, innovative, fast paced and crisp action. It simply did everything it did so well, and they had the crowd in the palm of their hands. Just like the previous match, there were no ridiculous kickouts and an effective use of pinfall breakups. But even better, their use of tag legalities was perfect. This was must see, even in the year they’ve had, this may be in their top five matches of the year, and definitely top ten. My favourite match of the year from RevPro, unless something later in this show or on Sittingbourne Spectacular tops it. Just masterful stuff, and to think Matt was working through an injury here. ****

Sonjay Dutt vs. El Ligero
El Ligero is, in very simplified and loose terms, the UK’s answer to El Generico. This started out nicely with some fast paced technical wrestling, including a rare appearance of the World of Sport era Johnny Saint package. This was stopped abruptly when somebody inexplicably shouted “Lionel Richie”, which then led to a chorus of All Night Long, which in turn lead to a dance off which the ref decisively won.

After that things kicked up a gear, and Ligero would eventually pick up the win with a tombstone set-up double knee gutbuster followed by a springboard tornado DDT that he calls the C4L. This match was perfectly fine, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. In a vacuum it’s probably good. But for me it was disappointing, it never really got out of third gear and took quite a while to get there too. That and the finish felt fairly abrupt. That describes a lot of Sonjay matches for me these days, he’s a guy who on first inspection seems a lot better a wrestler than his matches turn out to be. Again, not a bad match, but nothing too special either. ***

Next up, the Icon String came out to a huge ovation. This was facepaint-less t-shirt and jeans Steve Borden, but the crowd didn’t seem to care. He puts over the guys in the main event, then leaves.

30 Minute Iron Fist Match for the Undisputed British Heavyweight Championship: Marty Scurll vs. Colt Cabana (c)
An Iron Fist match is an Iron Man match where a knockout, in the form of a ten count, gives you an instant victory. Marty’s last title shot, back when Sha Samuels was the champion in 2012, was under these rules and lead to his heel turn after getting knockout right at the end while being up on falls. Marty comes out flanked by stormtroopers while being dressed as and having the music of Darth Vader because why the hell not, he’s the villain after all. Cabana counters that by dressing up as Big Daddy, a guy I HATE.

In the early goings, Cabana teased a GTS, something which was then talked up on commentary as a potential knockout blow. Scurll won the first fall after about eight minutes by countout when he duct taped Cabana to the ringside barricade. Cabana levelled it up after twenty minutes by countering a GTS attempt by Scurll into a Chicago Curse and Scurll tapped. It looked as if Cabana was going to take the lead at around the 25 minute mark after Marty missed a moonsault and Colt nailed a picture perfect one, but Marty kicked out, and in the follow up he nailed Cabana with a chain which the ref didn’t see and got a pin to retake the lead.

Following this Marty taped himself to the ring ropes to stop himself being beaten. Cabana then laid a beatdown on Scurll, but apparently is too stupid to undo the tape, so just floundered about and didn’t know what to do. Then he decided to walk off and get some scissors. Apparently Colt Cabana is incapable of undoing duct tape. He uncut Marty, then gave him a GTS to level it back up at 2-2 and a single minute remaining. In the last seconds, Cabana hit another GTS, but there was no time for a pinfall, so it ended in a draw.

Colt then got on the mic, and five more minutes we have. Yay… I was ready for this match to end after the first five minutes, five more minutes is the last thing I need. We then had a ref bump, and out came the Kartel who hit a spike piledriver on Cabana. Cabana kicked out though, because the ref was slow to stir. Cabana then took out both Kartel members, only to take a tornado DDT followed by a crossface chickenwing which he tapped to. New Undisputed British Heavyweight Champion, and Marty is also the only ever RPW triple crown winner.

This wasn’t very good, and it got to the extent where they were trying to tell a WWE “story” ahead of actually having a match. Al it did was make both these guys look like idiots, Cabana for not thinking to unwrap tape and Scurll for wrapping himself in tape when he had the advantage with three minutes to go. Serious Cabana in 2014 isn’t very good, and Villain Scurll sometimes focuses entirely on his character and ignores his wrestling. This was one of those occasions. At least the title is off Cabana now. **1/2

Final Thoughts:
This was a show which was going so damn well, but then took a nosedive during the last two matches. It opened up with two good matches and a good segment, which was then followed up by two terrific matches, and I thought we might be onto a SotYC. Sadly not.

However, this was still an event well worth watching. The crowd was absolutely amazing all night long, rivalling a PWG crowd at its best, and while the commentary wasn’t good (Simmonz is pretty bad), it wasn’t too bad overall and didn’t really detract from the show much at all. The two tag team matches in the middle are the reason to pick up this show, and I think they’re just about good enough for me to give this show the thumbs up. The Young Bucks vs. Project Ego is right on the bottom end of what I’d consider must see, but it is must see nonetheless.

You can order this show from http://www.rpwondemand.com for $12.99, which will get you both online streaming and a download depending on what you prefer.
K.O.

Post by K.O. »

Robareid wrote: Villain Scurll sometimes focuses entirely on his character and ignores his wrestling.
Its funny to read this delivered as criticism by someone on this board. Its basically exactly how I feel about the current version of Jay Lethal, and the reason that he hasn't really impressed me much this year, yet in that instance I'm stuck squarely in the minority.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Sittingbourne Spectacular 2014 Quick Thoughts:

Dutt & Lethal vs. Swords of Essex ***1/2
Great, fun and exciting fast paced opener. Shame they screwed up tag legalities.

Josh Bodom vs. El Ligero - Falls Count Anywhere ***1/4
Good little hardcore spots match. Too much spot-stall-setup-repeat for me to go any higher though.

Streak vs. Career in RevPro - Colt Cabana vs. Lord Gideon Grey **
Overbooked comedy match. Not a particularly good one either. Thank God Colt is gone and not taking up a spot in RPW anymore. (sadly they're bringing him back in 2015, not sure how they'll work around the angle)

Mark Andrews vs. Marty Scurll ***
Veteran heel intelligently working over the prior injury to his plucky young opponent was a good story for this one to tell, and executed pretty well.

Undisputed British Tag Team Championships - Inner City Machine Guns (c) vs. Young Bucks ***1/2
Pretty disappointing really. An exciting match, but that's basically the floor for these teams. ICMG are literally the worst for keeping track of tag legalities. Both these teams had a better match the previous night. Still just about MotN, but I expected more.

ICMG went on with the "fighting champions shtick" which brought out the Kartel to goad them into a match.

Undisputed British Tag Team Championships - Inner City Machine Guns (c) vs. The Kartel *
Didn't last long, and we have new champions.

Not a terrible show, but not a good one either. When your card is only five proper matches deep, you really need them to deliver to a higher degree than this.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Robareid wrote:
Streak vs. Career in RevPro - Colt Cabana vs. Lord Gideon Grey **
Overbooked comedy match. Not a particularly good one either. Thank God Colt is gone and not taking up a spot in RPW anymore. (sadly they're bringing him back in 2015, not sure how they'll work around the angle)
Matt Classic?
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

No Escape 2014 Quick Thoughts:

2 Unlimited vs. Boar & Ali ***
Fun little opener, but poor tag legalities.

Terry Frazier vs. Owen Phoenix **3/4
Basically just a match to make Terry look strong, getting him a clean win in his first singles match since his return. Solid enough.

Andy Boy Simmonz vs. Martin Stone **1/2
ABS is just a boring wrestler these days. There's nothing "wrong" with what he does, but there's zero about him that grabs me.

Joel Redman vs. Josh Bodom **1/2
Nice little technical display which ended abruptly due to interference.

Prince Devitt vs. Doug Williams ***3/4
Doug is a guy who, when in his prime, I would have put his body of work up against nearly anybody in the world, he was that damn good. He's not at that level any more, but he's definitely one of my all-time favourites. Great match, and worthy main event.

Not a good event. The main event was very good, and the opener was enjoyable, but everything in between left a lot to be desired.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/0 ... 15-review/

A nice little appetiser for what proved to be an absolutely incredible event the following week.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Results from High Stakes 2015 via PWP. Sounds like those last two matches were really awesome.
Revolution Pro UK High Stakes
Feb 15, 2015
London, England UK
Credit: Martin Bentley

Another good crowd at York Hall tonight, about 750-800 I’d say. During the show, New Japan’s Tomohiro Ishii was announced for their Summer Sizzler 2015 show on Sunday June 14th. Revolution Pro are aiming to make tonight’s show available on demand from tomorrow night.

Colt Cabana came out to start the show, and asked to be reinstated by Revolution Pro Wrestling. Lord Gideon Grey came out, and as he had defeated Cabana in March 2014 to banish Cabana from Rev Pro, he demanded that the stipulation stay in place, and issued an open challenge to anyone other than Cabana for later in the show.

1: Rocky Romero b. Josh Bodom – Good opener. Bodom had Romero grounded for long periods, and was able to showcase his own skills, but Romero came back and hit a hurricanrana into an armbar to gain the submission victory.

2: Jake McCluskey b. Sha Samuels via DQ – McCluskey’s high flying is very good, but Samuels controlled most of the match. McCluskey came back and was about to win when Samuels’ partner in The Revolutionists, James Castle, ran in and attacked McCluskey with a chair for the disqualification. Samuels got on the mic and stated that Castle should be getting the big opportunities in Rev Pro that McCluskey is getting.

3: Matt Classic b. Lord Gideon Grey – As soon as Cabana was banished, I knew this would be happening. Despite this, referee Chris Roberts asked Classic if he was Cabana, and Classic denied that he was. Grey was helped by his second Rishi Ghosh and his lawyer, but Classic overcame the interference, and gave Grey an Airplane Spin and a splash from the bottom rope to win and stop Grey’s 12 match Rev Pro unbeaten streak.

4: 2 Unlimited (Jay Sammon & Patrick Sammon) b. The Addiction (Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian) – Very entertaining match, with The Addiction taking more of a heel role, but being cheered throughout, although fans were supporting 2 Unlimited as well. The match went to the outside on a couple of occasions, and The Addiction largely controlled it, but 2 Unlimited came back, and hit a double senton on Daniels to win the match.

5: REVOLUTION PRO BRITISH TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: The Thrillers (Joel Redman & Mark Haskins) (c) b. The UK Hooligans (Roy Knight & Zak Knight) – Redman’s partner was Martin Stone, but Stone is back in the United States, so Redman recruited his old partner Mark Haskins to face the UK Hooligans, who had stolen the titles at the last York Hall show. The Hooligans, who are Paige’s brothers, entered a brawl with The Thrillers, which went into the seats, and it was heavy hitting and fast from that point. After several very close near falls, Redman was able to hit Zak Knight with a That’s Incredible piledriver to retain the titles.

6: REVOLUTION PRO BRITISH HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Marty Scurll (c) b. Ricochet – Incredible reception for Ricochet, who got pops for making Andy Quildan have to read out all of his accomplishments. Scurll had The Revolutionists with him at ringside, but they were ejected when they tried to interfere, and Ricochet hit a topé on them. Once it became a one-on-one match, there were many dives to the outside, some amazing antagonising work by Scurll, and a great comeback by Ricochet. The finish came when Ricochet missed a 630 Splash attempt, and Scurll locked on a Chicken Wing, which Ricochet eventually tapped out to. This was an incredible match well worth watching on VOD.

7: NON-TITLE MATCH: IWGP Heavyweight Champion AJ Styles b. Revolution Pro British Cruiserweight Champion Will Ospreay – This was Styles’ first match since winning the IWGP Heavyweight Championship back on Wednesday, and although neither title was on the line, it was wrestled like a title match. Ospreay put on a star making performance against Styles, and it would be a major surprise if Ospreay was not looked at by a major American or Japanese promotion by the end of the year. Ospreay caught Styles by surprise early with his speed and aerial ability, but when it went to the outside, Styles was able to land some nasty backbreakers, including one on the guardrail. Ospreay came back, landing a huge handspring cutter, but later, Styles was able to counter Ospreay’s momentum by throwing him right into the Tree of Woe position. Ospreay went for a 450, but landed on his knee, and Styles locked in the Calf Killer, which Ospreay got out of by making the ropes after a long struggle. Styles made several attempts at the Styles Clash, which the fans didn’t want him to hit given the recent incidents, but after the Bloody Sunday was kicked out of, Ospreay went for another top rope move, but Styles cut him off, and landed an Avalanche Styles Clash to win the match. Styles put Ospreay over as a superb opponent after the match, and the two shook hands to a standing ovation.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

The entire second half (last three matches) were all incredible. The main event especially was simply special stuff.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Robareid wrote:The entire second half (last three matches) were all incredible. The main event especially was simply special stuff.
Did you see the show live?