The WCW Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
supersonic

Re: The WCW Thread

Post by supersonic »

kovs27 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:48 pm
Indynut wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:48 pm Everyone craps on Vince Russo, but I do not think things were good when Kevin Sullivan was in charge from Jan-Match 2000.
It would have been real interesting to see what would have happened if Benoit, Malenko, Guerrero and Saturn stay. Everyone swears up and down that Sullivan was going to push them and did have Benoit win the title the night he quit. I completely understand why they did quit and didn't want to work with Sullivan despite him trying to show he wouldn't let personal differences effect the work place. Sid crushing everyone and possibly leading to a match with Hogan (that is what Sullivan has said in interviews) probably isn't what people wanted to see in 2000.
All the incredible details here - https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.co ... -feb-2000/
Indynut

Post by Indynut »

Someone agreed with me about things getting worse after Vince Russo left in early 2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigGLcKFtVE
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'll start by saying I'm FAR from a WCW fan.... i recall the WCW Ship sinking fast in 1999 (long before Russo). I went back and looked at the ratings and in early 1999 they are averaging 4.0-5.0 in ratings consistently. Then almost instantly starting May 1999 they drop to averaging around 3.0-3.5. They NEVER truly recover from that dip. Here's some things i've noticed that led up to that:

- Prior to May 1999 there was 7 World championship changes in 6 months.
Nash beat Goldberg (DEC 18)
Hogan beat Nash (Jan 19)
Flair beat Hogan (Mar 19)
DDP beat Flair in 4 Way (April)
Sting Beat DDP, Then DDP beat Sting in 4 corners match (April)
Only to have nash win the belt back in May.
Also about 6 other championship changes in the second half of 2019.

- They took the belt off Goldberg, by the outsiders tazing him. Then Nash gifted Hogan the belt with the finger poke of doom.

- Looks like Ric Flair dropped/stripped of the title in March 2019.

- Looks like April 26th on Nitro saw, a double championship turn.

- In 1999 Big Show and Jericho left WCW for WWE

- Rock/Stone Cold in their prime in WWE.

As a non-WCW fan.... I didn't buy into the Goldberg-mania. I thought Hogan/Macho Man/Flair/ and a majority of the other top WCW guys were over the hill. They also lacked direction. Like in 1998 they knew they needed new stars, and built Goldberg up... the problem was they didn't have a plan for what was next. They basically let goldberg run through everyone, and didn't continue to build new stars. They had a bloated top heavy roster, and failed to build up anything fresh. Just my thoughts... There could be more that happened during this period... but between Goldberg winning the belt, and May 1999, people didn't view WCW as the same way as they did in 96/97.
Last edited by Montana on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indynut

Post by Indynut »

Flair was not stripped of the belt in March 1999.
Indynut

Post by Indynut »

Montana wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:57 am I'll start by saying I'm FAR from a WCW fan.... i recall the WCW Ship sinking fast in 1999 (long before Russo). I went back and looked at the ratings and in early 1999 they are averaging 4.0-5.0 in ratings consistently. Then almost instantly starting May 1999 they drop to averaging around 3.0-3.5. They NEVER truly recover from that dip. Here's some things i've noticed that led up to that:

- Prior to May 1999 there was 7 World championship changes in 6 months.
Nash beat Goldberg (DEC 18)
Hogan beat Nash (Jan 19)
Flair beat Hogan (Mar 19)
Flair Stripped - DDP won 4 Way (April)
Sting Beat DDP, Then DDP beat Sting in 4 corners match (April)
Only to have nash win the belt back in May.
Also about 6 other championship changes in the second half of 2019.

- They took the belt off Goldberg, by the outsiders tazing him. Then Nash gifted Hogan the belt with the finger poke of doom.

- Looks like Ric Flair dropped/stripped of the title in March 2019.

- Looks like April 26th on Nitro saw, a double championship turn.

- In 1999 Big Show and Jericho left WCW for WWE

- Rock/Stone Cold in their prime in WWE.

As a non-WCW fan.... I didn't buy into the Goldberg-mania. I thought Hogan/Macho Man/Flair/ and a majority of the other top WCW guys were over the hill. They also lacked direction. Like in 1998 they knew they needed new stars, and built Goldberg up... the problem was they didn't have a plan for what was next. They basically let goldberg run through everyone, and didn't continue to build new stars. They had a bloated top heavy roster, and failed to build up anything fresh. Just my thoughts... There could be more that happened during this period... but between Goldberg winning the belt, and May 1999, people didn't view WCW as the same way as they did in 96/97.
Earlier in this thread, I said 1999 was WCW's worst year.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Oh... i only went a few post back, which looked like was a few years. Looks like we agree that things were headed on the way down in 1999.

How did Flair lose the belt in 1999? I just saw he won the title and it looked like DDP won it in a 4 way match, that Flair wasn't in, so i assume they stripped him.

Oddly enough, i liked/enjoyed WCW from 92-96. Which is about the time i started watching wrestling. Vader, Ron SImmons, Van Hammer, Steamboat and by favorites Hollywood Blondes... Good stuff. Once the outsiders came, I was a pissed off early teenager... So i was very pro-wwf and Hall/Nash completely sold out. I look at it differently now, but back then i was like eff those guys. I am a very loyal person in general, so i felt a bit betrayed. I still kept up with WCW post outsiders, but mainly during Raw commercial breaks. I really liked Jericho at that time... who was like a jobber almost back then.
Indynut

Post by Indynut »

Flair lost the belt to DDP in a 4 way at Spring Stampede with Hogan & Sting which was reffed by Savage.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Ah, ok...Thanks for the clarification.