The WWE Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Reaper G

Re: The WWE Thread

Post by Reaper G »

The giant hand slapping Sami made me think I was watching the Oscars. Either that, or Mark Henry & Mae Young's son made his WM debut.

The celebrities certainly delivered. I would argue that Austin Theory is too young to carry a non-wrestler, but he did well, I read that Pat McAfee was training with Rip Rogers, not some of his buddies in a barn like Corey Graves said, so that certainly helped.

Becky-Bianca was my favorite match of both nights. Seven months of buildup to a great payoff. And that, AEW, is how you book a long-term storyline.

I loved the receptions for Austin, Cody, and UT. And Austin did great considering his age, inactivity, and injuries.

Reigns-Lesnar was what you'd expect. Same handful of moves over and over, short match for a main event. Both care capable of better.
Montana

Post by Montana »

A few random thoughts...

That Sami vs. Roman match at Elimination Chamber was something special. Think WWE missed one here. i get WM is around the corner, but just felt like it was the right time; with the story.

Fast forward to post WM; feels like the booking is going down hill again; and all signs point to Vince getting back involved. Brock/Omos; no one seems to care, Lashley/ Bray in the same boat. The booking of Sami after has just felt odd. Like he's still a big deal; but kind of an after thought too. Still a decent story there; but the "story" feels like it's losing steam fast. Not as invested in Usos and Zayn feuding.

Cody and Roman is fine. The story just isn't as good.

It's only been a couple weeks, but feels like WWE has lost momentum; with no signs of it turning around yet.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Since it's likely I'll catch WM39 at a theater, I've started marathon-viewing the entire Bloodline saga dating back to SummerSlam 2020.

This is a storyline that has its faults, including performer weaknesses and of course the gaudy production ethos. With that said, to see a world champion that has the aura of a dangerous alpha male bad motherfucker, and who yields the kind of power comparable to prestige TV characters like Gus Fring and Avon Barksdale, is absolutely refreshing after AEW initially brought me back to real-time viewing at the time of Punk and Danielson jumping on board that ship.

In a time when so many wrestlers up and down the cards of both mainstream cable TV promotions allow themselves to operate with soyboy sensitivities and minor league mindsets, this program has provided hope. It shows that long-form, borderline-prestige storytelling complete with rugged characters (the kind that would fit in perfectly in worlds such as the NFL, UFC, and high-end criminal empires) is not a thing of the past. Quite the opposite - it's the best shit going in the present.