The WWE Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: The WWE Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Vince firing Barrios and Wilson is fucking laughable. Vince needs to fire himself. He is so far behind the times with today's market it's unreal. Storylines on both WWE shows suck. It's boring as fuck. The homogenized product lacks any emotion because everything is so scripted. The sheep need to quit supporting this horseshit.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2020/ ... residents/
George Barrios and Michelle Wilson are out as co-presidents of WWE. Brandon Thurston discusses the news of the exit and likely firing of the #2 and #3 corporate officers for the world’s biggest pro-wrestling company.

Vince McMahon commented: “I decided a change was necessary as we have different views on how best to achieve our strategic priorities moving forward.”

We take your questions, as read by Kate Carney. Plus a preview of the WWE Q4 and full-year 2019 earnings report that will be taking place Thursday, February 6.

WWE press release: https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/new ... -213333313
Wrestlenomics Pro Wrestling Industry Report, Full Year 2019: https://payhip.com/b/qICi
Montana

Post by Montana »

Weeks away from Mania and it just doesn't feel special.. I thought the rumble was great... but other than that, really haven't done a ton to hype up mania. OFf the top of the head, i can probably only rattle off a few of the matches (so i'll look up the card now)

As for the 2 night show, it seems like the perfect time for it. I could see why with a crowd to do it all in one night, but with no crowd, there is no sense running a 7 hour show.

Drew vs. Brock
- Seems like a solid main event, but i worry for Drew that the match isn't live in front of a crowd. The WWE rarely like to give fans big "feel good" moments. Could actually see Brock win here now.

Goldberg vs. Reigns. - Not really a match i want to see, let alone semi-headline mania. The limited build up for this has been decent at least.

Cena vs. Wyatt
- very little build up... hard to care about this match after Bray abruptly loses his belt to Goldberg. WWE is shooting themselves in the foot time and time again. (Bray fun fact; Never won at mania)

Becky vs. Shayna Bazler - I've enjoy Shayna promo work... but don't really care about this one.

Charlotte vs. Rhea Rhipley
- This has a big match feel actually. As much as WWE pushes Becky and Charlotte... Rhea may be the true star.

AJ Styles vs. Undertaker
- Just seems pointless.. Even a Baron Corbin vs. Undertaker match makes more sense.

Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins
... Actually pretty good build up... arguable the best build to any mania match. Strange it feels like a curtain jerker match.

Randy Orton vs. Edge - Last man standing - Great build up... could be match of the night

Elias vs. Baron Corbin - In the "we just want them on the card" slot.

Rumored:

Daniel Bryan vs. Sami Zayn - COuld be very good

Heavy Machinery vs. Dolph / Roode (or multi man tag title match)

On paper seems like a solid mania... and should be a some good matches... just feels like WWE is too stagnant at the moment, with a lack of creativity.
Montana

Post by Montana »

My Wrestlemania night 1 thoughts.... * Spoilers Ahead *

Overall pretty good show. The pacing seemed really good. Solid, wrestlemania like effort of the wrestlers. A few random thoughts.

- Surprised Seth Rollins lost, as he's one of the few undefeated wrestlers at Mania. With no crowd, seemed like a fine for the heel to lose, and potentially push the feud further.

- Surprised Daniel Bryan lost. Makes sense Sami retained, since he just won it, just seemed like an ehh way DB to lose... considering how great DB is, and his WM Legacy. On the other hand, shorter undercard matches, made the show flow better.

- I'm not sure i'd the Boneyard match saved, or stole the show, but it was certainly great, and certainly needed. I thought the match was pointless, but really ended up being needed. (Especially with the card changes)

- The Ladder match was awesome, and John Morrison was the MVP for Night 1 for me.

Overall really good effort, and looking forward to night 2. I do think if they continue to do empty Arena shows, they REALLY need to do stuff outside of the box, like Microphone matches, and other specialty matches... falls count anywhere, parking lot brawls, brawls at houses, etc.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

Kudos to WWE for going ahead with WrestleMania under the circumstances. As much as a live crowd might be needed (especially for the Otis-Mandy kiss) the pain and emotion and verbiage expressed by the wrestlers and referees helped make up for it.

And I thought it was a really good double-header... until the Firefly Funhouse match. I like outside-the-box ideas, but that was outside the solar system.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

I dont watch wwe so much anymore but obviously I watched wrestlemania

Taker vs aj was amazing...love it
Montana

Post by Montana »

Yeah, the Boneyard match stole the show. Top matches imo:

1) Boneyard Match
2) Ladder Match (John Morrison vs. One of the Usos, vs. Kofi Kingston)
3) Randy vs Edge
4) Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins
5) Charlotte vs. Rhea
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

I dont hate edge vs orton like many people do..it was too long but no that bad

Love edge and happy to see him back.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Ripley vs. Charlotte is the only MOTYC of the weekend, and hats off to them for overcoming the circumstances. I may have an interesting article about Charlotte next year during Mania season, one that I had planned for D-Bry this year prior to the pandemic...
Montana

Post by Montana »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:57 am I dont hate edge vs orton like many people do..it was too long but no that bad

Love edge and happy to see him back.
Yeah, it's pretty sad to see a lot of the negative feedback on Edge's match. He has such an amazing comeback story, and one match in people are crapping on the match. I don't think it's at him specifically, but still. Seems like he's put in a lot of work to make the comeback a success. I think years down the road, people will enjoy the match, and storytelling a bit more.

I'm trying to figure out how i'd rate this WM compared to others... and what the historical value of the show will be. Despite no crowd, i think you could argue this show was in the top 20 Mania's, maybe even better (middle of the pack). I really enjoyed the two night format, and think it is something they should consider in the future. I think the Boneyard match, will have a strong legacy. Edge's return match, Drew and Braun getting crowned as Champions. Couple solid womens title matches. All in all, pretty solid package. Think for the most part, the right people went over. Don't think i'd rate this amoung the top manias solely based on no crowd, but think this would be in the second tier mania's maybe that lacked major moments. Not bad for a taped studio show.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

2 night needs to be a regular thing, yes.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://www.wwe.com/article/howard-finkel-passes-away
WWE is saddened to learn that Howard Finkel has passed away at age 69.

When considering the greatest ring announcers in the history of sports and sports-entertainment, you’d be hard-pressed to name one better than Howard Finkel. A native of Newark, NJ, “The Fink” — a label that had been attached affectionately to Howard over the years — made his ring announcing debut at Madison Square Garden in 1977 for WWE’s predecessor, WWWF.

By 1979, Finkel was the full-time ring announcer for WWWF, and when WWE was established in 1980, The Fink became the first — and eventually longest-serving — employee. Finkel’s distinctive voice was instantly recognizable, and for more than two decades Superstars such as The Ultimate Warrior, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and more would have a title victory marked by The Fink’s signature call, “and NNNEEEWWW World Champion!”

Despite being a ring announcer, Finkel didn’t shy away from in-ring competition in certain circumstances. In 1995, he battled his longtime rival Harvey Wippleman in a Tuxedo Match on Raw, and later helped X-Pac shave Jeff Jarrett’s head in a Hair vs. Hair Match at SummerSlam 1998.

In addition to his legendary tenure as a ring announcer, The Fink was an indispensable resource inside the WWE offices for his vast knowledge of sports-entertainment history. Well respected by current Superstars, WWE Legends and Hall of Famers, Finkel’s encyclopedic memory and kindness made him beloved among his colleagues. The Fink was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on April 4, 2009.

WWE extends its condolences to Finkel’s family, friends and fans.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Sad news about Howard... true legend.
--------------------------------

How long/far does WWE stick with 3 hours of raw?!?

On one hand, that third hour is getting them a really large sum of money annually. (I wanna say it was like an extra 100 million per year, but don't quote me)

The other hand, business is dwindling FAST. They seriously lack stars, lack creative to make stars, and seriously burning out the audience.

I guess the answer will likely be... the WWE will try and hang onto it as long as possible, but WWE really needs to start considering massive changes. Most ALL areas of the company are down. TV ratings, Network Subs, House shows, and live show attendance.... Yet Fox and USA gave them massive TV deals.

Random Ideas to try:
- All womens show ... I wouldn't completely remove women from Raw/SD, HOWEVER the focus would shift more to the men's division. See how it goes. Does the womens show get good ratings?? Does Raw go up or down?? Are more men and Women stars created?? I think they need to try it. PLUS more tv programming = more money. (I know i said less programming earlier, but this would be spreading it out)

- Incentives for watching following the product... they have established many digital platforms, and there are many cheap/free rewards that could be given... or discounts on tickets/merch... 2K DLC, WWE slam, or Supecard... lots of stuff.

- More interactive shows.... voting for winners/losers, keeping track of your % of correct picks. Rankings. Pick stipulations for PPV matches, and select Raw matches.

- Invest in long term booking. Give things time... Don't take the title off Drew in 2 months. Build him up, make the fans care about his title run.

- Establish new dominant & COOL faction. Easier said than done... but they need to create NWO like magic, and the problem is historically with factions they just don't do that well in WWE, I really don't think undisputed Era is the next big thing... Maybe Adam Cole... but don't think they can fill this role i envision.

- Stop ruining stars... They messed up Braun's first big push, They've messed up Bray Wyatt, They've messed up on Rusev Day, Elias had a lot of momentum. the list goes on... and the worst part on this.... they end up winning the belt later, when the crowd has moved on.

They gotta try and switch things up. I've liked the effort since the open arena switch, but we'll need more creativity once things resume to normal.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Who do you guys think is the #1 guy in the WWE right now?? My list:

1 ) Seth Rollins
2) Drew Mcintyre
3) Bray Wyatt
4) Braun Strohman
5) Charlotte Flair
6) Edge
7) Randy Orton
8) AJ Styles
9) Kevin Owens

I'm guessing this is the crop of top guys. Currently i think it's fair to say John Cena, Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, and Becky Lynch are out, and likely won't be full time for a while. So who's #1?!?

Seth Rollins - It's hard to point my finger on it.... but it just feels like the show and company are being built around him. He's been in several key moments/matches the last 5 years or so. Hard to say he's not in the conversation. He's my #1, but i'm sure there will be mixed thoughts.

Drew Mcintyre - Certainly the main champ now, but he's still fairly new the spotlight. I'm enjoying his title reign thus far, just hope they don't screw it up.

Bray Wyatt - He's always had one of the most compelling characters in WWE, but he's never broke that true glass ceiling. Even with the belt. I don't see them ever fully giving him the ball to run with.

Braun Strohman - He will be very interesting over the next few years. Too bad WWE fumbled his early career.

Charlotte - I know she's not a guy, but much like Seth, she's been involved with several key moments, and matches.

Edge - Hard to tell if his return will be a long stay... none the less probably the most famous roster member.

Randy Orton - Has always felt like a #2 or #3 option for the WWE. Not that he couldn't be in the #1 spot, but right now, his role has changed.

AJ Styles - Despite one of the best performers in the past few years, and probably one of the best wrestlers, he's the IC champ. Still one of the best wrestlers in the company.

Kevin Owens - May not be the #1 option right now, but nothing saying that the WWE couldn't push him back up a bit. Had a big mania win.

Who's your pick? I have to think this is probably the first time ever i can recall where there isn't a clear cut #1 guy. Right now mine would be Seth.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Montana

Post by Montana »

The NBC/Peacock network; acquiring the WWE Network is a pretty big deal for folks in the US. Gives WWE 200M annually for 5 years; and lowers their cost; and gives them more reach to new fans. Fans get more content for their dollar; and a cheaper option.

The only downside i see; is WWE isn't forced to put out great content; they'll get subscribers either way. I liked that the WWE had more control before. At least it seems like ALL of the network is porting over. Perhaps NXT moves back to WWE network/Peacock as well.

This could be the start of the initial steps that NBC is buying the WWE all together as well. I'm fully convinced the Mcmahon family is selling at some point; and the plan is not to have Stephanie/HHH/Shane own the company. They may be involved and run; but not own.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I get Peacock for free and I have never used it.

After this news, I shall continue never using it. You'd have to pay me to sit through a whole Wrestlemania at this point. I may check out some legacy content but I probably won't bother.
Montana

Post by Montana »

They do produce some good documentaries that are also on the network... with tons of legacy content; across multiple companies.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

Montana wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:59 pm They do produce some good documentaries that are also on the network... with tons of legacy content; across multiple companies.
Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if NXT, the company's best show IMO, gets relegated to the Network/Peacock so USA can air hockey in its place.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

famicommander wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:05 pm I get Peacock for free and I have never used it.

After this news, I shall continue never using it. You'd have to pay me to sit through a whole Wrestlemania at this point. I may check out some legacy content but I probably won't bother.
Raw/ppvs from 2000 are worth watching just for how stacked the roster is and how hot the crowds are for _everything_. Like, Too Cool coming out for a match gets a huge pop. In-ring is surprisingly good too and holds up nicely.