The WWE Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Re: The WWE Thread

Post by JSWO »

syxxpakk wrote:Probably the problem then. Jeff and Edge meant a pretty big deal as far as business went. Jeff in particular at one point was second only to Cena in the company and arguably at times above Cena briefly.

But anyway the point is they were booked like crap and still managed to click with the crowd to become big draws. CM Punk is booked like crap but can't seem to get through that like they did. He's just not going to be a draw on that level, it seems.
But that speaks to a bigger picture where they're are no memorable angles. Punk's end to Money in the Bank is memorable, in a year or two maybe it won't be. Different guys on the writing team now compared to then too.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

JSWO wrote:
syxxpakk wrote:Probably the problem then. Jeff and Edge meant a pretty big deal as far as business went. Jeff in particular at one point was second only to Cena in the company and arguably at times above Cena briefly.

But anyway the point is they were booked like crap and still managed to click with the crowd to become big draws. CM Punk is booked like crap but can't seem to get through that like they did. He's just not going to be a draw on that level, it seems.
But that speaks to a bigger picture where they're are no memorable angles. Punk's end to Money in the Bank is memorable, in a year or two maybe it won't be. Different guys on the writing team now compared to then too.
That seems to me to be making excuses for why Punk isn't more successful than he is instead of just biting the bullet and accepting he's not someone fans are buying into. He's a great wrestler and a great character and I wish he was bringing in business. He was given a hell of a push in July and the ratings plummeted pretty quickly. It is what it is.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

syxxpakk wrote:
JSWO wrote:

That seems to me to be making excuses for why Punk isn't more successful than he is instead of just biting the bullet and accepting he's not someone fans are buying into. He's a great wrestler and a great character and I wish he was bringing in business. He was given a hell of a push in July and the ratings plummeted pretty quickly. It is what it is.

Ratings as a whole are pretty equal to what they were before the Punk angle began.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

No way, dude.

Let's do the math. First, in the interest of fairness to Punk, we'll exclude any ratings from the time period that the Rock was having an effect on business in the lead-up to to Wrestlemania. That's 2/14-4/3. Now we can include them if you want, but that's going to skew the argument against Punk.

So from January-June, excluding the Rock episodes, you get an average 3.51.

From June 26-end of the year you get 3.04.

In ratings, that's a big drop.

Now here's what's even worse - the last four weeks of December all dropped under 3.0. So they're not really equal at all, actually. And the drop off the last four weeks of this year compared to last year? Monstrous. Now, I'm inclined to agree that booking is a large part of it the ratings overall. But the fact is - if Punk was connecting like you're saying he is/should, then the ratings would improve regardless of the booking (as with Edge or Hardy).
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

syxxpakk wrote:No way, dude.

Let's do the math. First, in the interest of fairness to Punk, we'll exclude any ratings from the time period that the Rock was having an effect on business in the lead-up to to Wrestlemania. That's 2/14-4/3. Now we can include them if you want, but that's going to skew the argument against Punk.

Now here's what's even worse - the last four weeks of December all dropped under 3.0. So they're not really equal at all, actually. And the drop off the last four weeks of this year compared to last year? Monstrous. Now, I'm inclined to agree that booking is a large part of it the ratings overall. But the fact is - if Punk was connecting like you're saying he is/should, then the ratings would improve regardless of the booking (as with Edge or Hardy).
December is usually a poor ratings month anyway due to the Holidays and football usually picking big games for Monday nights with playoff implications. How often during that period you quoted was Punk the featured performer in comparison to Cena or Miz?
Rudas_Iskariot

Post by Rudas_Iskariot »

i would like to point out that's how the ratings fluctuate every year for RAW.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

JSWO wrote:

December is usually a poor ratings month anyway due to the Holidays and football usually picking big games for Monday nights with playoff implications. How often during that period you quoted was Punk the featured performer in comparison to Cena or Miz?
While true, ratings are still lower while he's been a focal point versus the beginning of the year or this time last year. So your assessment that ratings are barely different with him on top is not true.
FairPlay

Post by FairPlay »

All due respect to CM Punk but he nor ANYONE else equals what Rock has done for the WWE in 2011 and thats a fact jack! :p
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

FairPlay wrote:All due respect to CM Punk but he nor ANYONE else equals what Rock has done for the WWE in 2011 and thats a fact jack! :p
Yeah, Rock has been the biggest draw this year. But even he fell off by November.
FairPlay

Post by FairPlay »

^ I wouldn't say he fell off any. He was still a kick a** mother you know what to me and his match at Series just shows that he's still got it (not that I thought he "lost" it to begin with but still...). ^.^
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

FairPlay wrote:^ I wouldn't say he fell off any. He was still a kick a** mother you know what to me and his match at Series just shows that he's still got it (not that I thought he "lost" it to begin with but still...). ^.^

It's a work kid.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

Rudas_Iskariot wrote: i would like to point out that's how the ratings fluctuate every year for RAW.

This.
FairPlay

Post by FairPlay »

JSWO wrote:
FairPlay wrote:I wouldn't say he fell off any. He was still a kick a** mother you know what to me and his match at Series just shows that he's still got it (not that I thought he "lost" it to begin with but still...). ^.^
It's a work kid.
1. I'm not a kid. I'm 20.
2. What's a work? Rock being back?
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

FairPlay wrote:
JSWO wrote:
FairPlay wrote:I wouldn't say he fell off any. He was still a kick a** mother you know what to me and his match at Series just shows that he's still got it (not that I thought he "lost" it to begin with but still...). ^.^
It's a work kid.
1. I'm not a kid. I'm 20.
2. What's a work? Rock being back?

20 is a kid to me, and the business is a work, Dwayne is playing a character of a kick ass mother fucker. And you were 9 the last time Rock was a full time wrestler.
FairPlay

Post by FairPlay »

^ What does being 9 when Rock was a full-time wrestler have to do with anything? (o.O)
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

FairPlay wrote:^ What does being 9 when Rock was a full-time wrestler have to do with anything? (o.O)

Putting your viewing perspective into reality, that the biggest draw at WWE currently was a full time wrestler 11 years ago. A slight at WWE booking in the last decade if you will.
FairPlay

Post by FairPlay »

^ Yeah and? Thats their fault for not putting on the best product they can with the talent they have (and if this is, then thats sad/a story all on its own)...
FairPlay

Post by FairPlay »

Bump.

SEScoops reports:
UFC President Dana White says Brock Lesnar is free to work for WWE after announcing his retirement from MMA last week.
So it looks as though I was right when I said after he retired, he was good to go venture elsewhere. :P
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

FairPlay wrote:Bump.

SEScoops reports:
UFC President Dana White says Brock Lesnar is free to work for WWE after announcing his retirement from MMA last week.
So it looks as though I was right when I said after he retired, he was good to go venture elsewhere. :P
You should watch the video. He's completely shit-faced and I'm not 100% he was serious ;)
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

The only reason I went to Capitol Punishment was Ron Killings in the main event. So he's the real draw.