The AIW (Absolute Intense Wrestling) Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
DBSommer

Re: The AIW (Absolute Intense Wrestling) Thread

Post by DBSommer »

Review for Best of Johnny Gargano in AIW

The DVD is titled, King of Cleveland. As a Pittsburgh resident, this is the moral equivalent of declaring yourself God Emperor of an overflowing septic tank.

Johnny Gargano vs. Tyler Black

This is early in Gargano's career and pretty basic, actually and only on here because, hey, Tyler Black.

**3/4

30 Minute Iron Man match: Johnny Gragano vs. Tyler Black

A little better than the last one, but Johnny still looks a bit green

Johnny Gargano vs. Bryan Danielson

Gargano looks more polished here, and hey, Danielson looks good wrestling anybody.

***1/2

Johnny Gargano vs. Bryan Danielson

Gragno is starting to look like the Johnny that's around now. This match is made all the more remarkable because I believe the commentators said both guys wrestled on a Chikara card earlier in the day. This was even better than the last.

Ladder Match: Johnny Gragano vs. Facade vs. DJ Z

Typical indy ladder match with a few hard bumps.

Johnny Gargano vs. Michael Elgin

Now this is the Gargano that's getting booked all over the place. An outstanding match between two great competitors that mesh well together.

****1/4

Johnny Gargano vs. Adam Cole

Damn. Another great contest. These two really went at it.

Johnny Gargano vs. Kevin Steen

The two had a good match.

***3/4

Johnny Gargano vs. Ethan Page

This one started out slow, and I was thinking what a downgrade from the last 5 matches or so. Then it picked up big time. Lot of false finishes, but for me it worked.

****1/4

Johnny Gargano vs. Candice LeRae

This worked out really well considering the size and power differential.

***1/2

Overall: Great best of collection. Aside from the first couple of matches which are mostly on here because Black is a name (and a random ladder match), everything else is great and I can highly recommend this. Both Smartmark and AIW have this.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Big Names for Gauntlet For The Gold:

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Results from this past weekend via PWP:
AIW Gauntlet For The Gold XI
March 18, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Credit: Jared Hawkins & Ohio Report

Frankie Flynn def Eddie Kingston with a small package

AIW Tag Team Championship
To Infinity and Beyond (Cheech & Colin Delaney) def Hot Sauce Entertainment (Tyson Dux & Tracy Williams) to win the AIW Tag Team Titles
– Rematch will be on 4/8

Alex Daniels def Dr. Rockingham, Britt Baker, Dominic Garrini, Garrison King, & Joshua Singh pinning Baker

Alex Shelley def Candle LaRae
– Johnny Gargano challenged Alex Shelley for 4/8 and it was accepted

Johnny Gargano def Joey Janela, Cedric Alexander, & Louis Lyndon by submitting Janela

AIW Intense Title
Jerry def Rex Brody to retain

Raymond Rowe def Pentagon Jr. with a power bomb

AIW Absolute Title
Ethan Page def Zack Sabre Jr to retain

The wedding of Dick Justice and Missy Hyatt did not end well. Shocking. Col. Robert Parker interrupted the wedding in protest and it ended when Hyatt turned on Justice.

Gauntlet For The Gold Battle Royal was won by Josh Prohibition. He becomes the #1 contender to the AIW Title.
– The final two were Raymond Rowe and Prohibition
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So here's the full lineup for the 2016 JT Lightning Invitational Tournament:

- Homicide
- Dan "The Beast" Severn
- Tim Donst
- Raymond Rowe
- Louis Lyndon
- Tyson Dux
- Tracy Williams
- DJ Zema Ion
- Colin Delaney
- Cheech
- Big Damo (from RevPro)
- Laredo Kid
- Alex Daniels
- BJ Whitmer
- Britt Baker
- Brian Myers
- Colt Cabana
- Billy Gunn
- Cedric Alexander
- Veda Scott
- Little Guido
- Johnny Gargano
- Candice LeRae
- Josh Alexander
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Definitely going to try to make it to the first night.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

isles11

Post by isles11 »

I don't follow AIW that much, but I do know that Johnny Gargano and Candice were in a bit of a feud with each other. What happened, why are they all of a sudden teaming up? Is it as simple an answer as they got engaged in real life, so now they're no longer feuding?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

isles11 wrote:I don't follow AIW that much, but I do know that Johnny Gargano and Candice were in a bit of a feud with each other. What happened, why are they all of a sudden teaming up? Is it as simple an answer as they got engaged in real life, so now they're no longer feuding?
I don't recall there being much of a feud. They initially had a number of matches against each other in a short timespan in AIW & PWG (I think it was August/September 2014), and I think it was around that time when their legitimate relationship kicked off. I know they did have a big multi-man tag team match recently, where they both were captains of teams consisting of AIW students (They're the head trainers of AIW's wrestling school) and had a "draft" to pick their teams, but I don't think they were ever truly "feuding" in AIW....

....however, they did have a match over the SMASH Wrestling Title in SMASH Wrestling last summer (where Gargano is a heel), so maybe that's what you're thinking of? Other than that, their interactions in other places, in matches against each other, have pretty much been face vs. face.
isles11

Post by isles11 »

No I just figured because of all the matches, and the Team Johnny vs Team Candice that there was a bit of a feud going.
Like I said, I don't follow AIW too much.
BrandenScott

Post by BrandenScott »

AIW has a new VOD service sort of like Highspots and czwstudios. It is $7.99 a month and has about 55 AIW shows and Some old Cleveland All Pro stuff too with early Ray Rowe, Cm Punk, and Johnny Gargano matches. Also neat to see ECIII when he wrestled as the Deviant Michael Hutter. The negatives are the less than perfect camera work on the early AIW shows and the fact that the commentary is done on the house mic. It would like listening to Michael Buffer do commentary all night long and it gets annoying after a bit. The shows from Jack Of All Trios forward are produced by smart mark video and are much much better in commentary and video quality. For $7.99 if you don't have the shows it is worth checking out.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Looks like AIW has a pretty good card coming up.

http://aiwrestling.com/atw.html

Rowe vs. End & Williams vs. Elgin should be good, and I'm assuming Hero will be Hero. Kind of weird seeing Hart though, especially since the photo makes him look like he's been on meth for a while now.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So for those who've missed it, there's been a big kerfuffle over the last few days between Matt Riddle & AIW:

cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Their next upcoming show looks fun albeit probably not something I'd put at the top of my watch list
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

A very unfortunate update. Chris Bryan (Chandler Biggins) has passed away. His work in AIW helped shaped American independents. Thoughts to his loved ones.