Wrestling is at it's lowest point since Early 2001.

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Shanahan

Wrestling is at it's lowest point since Early 2001.

Post by Shanahan »

There is no debating this. I see all different types saying how awesome wrestling is now and i don't understand them. Let's review the current state of promotions.

WWE: RAW is unwatchable. SD is below average most weeks. NXT 2.0 is shell of what NXT was. 205 Live is pointless. NXT UK is actually very good but nobody watches it.

AEW: Dynamite is mostly good with a few bad episodes mixed in. Rampage has become a 1 good match show. Dark and Elevation are pointless aside from 2 or 3 ok matches a month.

NJPW: Worst it's been since i started watching it full time 10 years ago. Maybe even Cursed. NJPW Strong is good most weeks.

Impact: Severely damaged by focusing on AEW talent. Show quality and ratings way down. Some light at end of tunnel that AEW has bailed.

ROH: Very good TV/Decent shows but it's dead now.

MLW: Absolutely terrible since re-start. Fusion Alpha has been ok but shell of it's former self. Now with losing Lawlor/Oliver i don't see how they improve

NWA: OK at it's best. Nothing great or really good. It's just there.

GCW: Decent but nothing compared to 2016-2019. Also terrible Audio & Video on FITE makes some matches unwatchable.

Indies: Most are just bad. Filled with bad gimmicks,no hopers & terrible spotfests.

Wrestling is fucking terrible right now.
indyfan

Re: Wrestling is at it's lowest point since Early 2001.

Post by indyfan »

PWG still rules!!!!!
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

indyfan wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:34 pm PWG still rules!!!!!
I knew i was leaving something out. PWG is awesome but they only run 6-8 shows a year and takes 2-3 months for DVDs to come out. It doesn't save the rest of the terrible wrestling.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

You really have to see GCW live. I agree on Fite, it sucks. I don't even bother ordering anymore. But I still go whenever they are in Atlantic City. You have to experience a Saturday night show with a big time Nick Gage main event to really get it.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

kovs27 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:35 pm You really have to see GCW live. I agree on Fite, it sucks. I don't even bother ordering anymore. But I still go whenever they are in Atlantic City. You have to experience a Saturday night show with a big time Nick Gage main event to really get it.
I've been to 5 shows. Most in 2018. Reason i don't go more is because i can't bring my kids for obvious reason being my wife wouldn't like it and i don't want her nagging me to death.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I strongly disagree and to just say "it's not debatable" is bordering on ridiculous, especially when you left off STARDOM, a promotion that has doubled (tripled?) its audience over the past 1.5 years and is putting out great matches and getting attention. Even NOAH is getting more attention this year.

If you feel like wrestling is at its worst since 2001, then I truly feel like the problem is you, not wrestling. Maybe the wrestling of today just does not appeal to you. And that's FINE. But the general consensus is literally how amazing and diverse the wrestling world is right now even with ROH being shuttered/revamped/sold/whatever.

Could it be better? Yeah. Are there still things that truly suck? Yeah. But there's so many options and so many different things have buzz. Hell, for all the jokes about it, I still see people tweeting amazing things about Bronn Breaker so people are at least watching and paying attention to the Rainbow Road version of NXT.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

You watch every single thing, every week to know that all if it sucks?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Shanahan wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:12 pm
kovs27 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:35 pm You really have to see GCW live. I agree on Fite, it sucks. I don't even bother ordering anymore. But I still go whenever they are in Atlantic City. You have to experience a Saturday night show with a big time Nick Gage main event to really get it.
I've been to 5 shows. Most in 2018. Reason i don't go more is because i can't bring my kids for obvious reason being my wife wouldn't like it and i don't want her nagging me to death.
I can understand that. It's not really a child appropriate show.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

To be honest I like what mlw doing product wise and I do like what new Japan doing on the business side in the states
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:02 pm To be honest I like what mlw doing product wise and I do like what new Japan doing on the business side in the states
Fusion Alpha has been better than the restart stuff but it's still missing that spark that MLW had from late 2018 till March 2020.

I think NJPW Strong is right there with NXT UK & ROH as best TV Program of 2021 but still doesn't make up for rest of the garbage out there.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Then just watch that stuff and stop watching the others. Focus on what you like and what appeals to you.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

DougN wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:06 am Then just watch that stuff and stop watching the others. Focus on what you like and what appeals to you.
I'm a mark...I've invested in stuff for decades and/or years. Hard to give it up. I don't like TV shows or movies and I only watch the NFL. So its watch wrestling or watch paint dry Tuesdays to Saturday.
DougN

Post by DougN »

You sound like a fun person.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

DougN wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:07 pm You sound like a fun person.
I'm 40 with 7 kids and a business. Even if i wanted to get into a tv show or watches movies my job or kids would interrupt it. With wrestling i can pause it and take a call,go to job site or bring a kid to practice or game and get right back into it. Trying that with movies or tv shows are impossible because i forget what was going on. Wrestling is nice and simple.
DougN

Post by DougN »

So in that scenario then, why are you complaining when you have four hours of wrestling each week to watch?
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

DougN wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:32 pm So in that scenario then, why are you complaining when you have four hours of wrestling each week to watch?
because the rest of stuff i watched/watch has been really shitty and i hope it gets better. You think everything is going great? Every promotion is down (aew aside). Covid is a reason but terrible creative is another. Let's hope it changes in 2022
DougN

Post by DougN »

That doesn't make any sense.

You specifically said NXT UK, ROH, and NJPW Strong are good. You said Fusion Alpha has been better since the restart. That's 4 hours a week and then add football in which can be either 2 hours or more depending on what you watch. If you're struggling so much with time to watch things, then that's more than enough for you to watch in a week, stuff that you yourself say is good and like.

Stop watching what you don't like. It's not your job to watch. No one is paying you to. So you hate-watching something that everyone else is enjoying is really, truly not doing any good for anyone unless you just enjoy raining on people's parade. Focus on what you like. Ignore what you don't.

The problem of your complaint is that you're saying you don't have time to watch things, yet you're watching all of these things you hate. So either you're lying about watching the shows just so you can bitch about them, or you're legitimately putting in time THAT YOU SAID YOU DON'T HAVE to watch things that you know you don't like.

Something is not computing here where a man with 7 kids and a business he owns is watching hours and hours of wrestling that he hates and spending time talking about how much he hates it. Either you truly are, which makes no logical sense, or you're just shit-stirring which seems par for the course but at least now it's out in the open.

Neither scenario is good here, man.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Following up on my point, here's your post from December 2020:

http://rohforum.site/viewtopic.php?p=169261#p169261
HUGE.

I watch WWE,NJPW,AEW,NXT,ROH,IMPACT,MLW,NWA,UWN,AAA,MLW,GCW,ICW,BJW,FREEDOMS,NOAH,all indies on IWTV,etc,etc,etc, My wife used to hate it but now she likes that i watch so much. she knows exactly where i'am. In the basement instead of out at a bar. lol
How in the hell do you watch all of that with 7 kids and owning a business? Please enlighten me and this is not a joke. I've got one kid and a full time job and I struggle to watch 3 hours of wrestling of week.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

DougN wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:12 am Following up on my point, here's your post from December 2020:

http://rohforum.site/viewtopic.php?p=169261#p169261
HUGE.

I watch WWE,NJPW,AEW,NXT,ROH,IMPACT,MLW,NWA,UWN,AAA,MLW,GCW,ICW,BJW,FREEDOMS,NOAH,all indies on IWTV,etc,etc,etc, My wife used to hate it but now she likes that i watch so much. she knows exactly where i'am. In the basement instead of out at a bar. lol
How in the hell do you watch all of that with 7 kids and owning a business? Please enlighten me and this is not a joke. I've got one kid and a full time job and I struggle to watch 3 hours of wrestling of week.
I love how you assume that because you cant do something that another person is in same position.

I worked my ass off for 10 years at my dads business until he retired and handed business off to me. I went from working 6am to 6pm to sitting in a cozy office from 10am to 2pm. I then go pick up my kids from school, take them home and hang out until my wife gets home at around 7p. I used to then eat dinner and go out to bar to have a few drinks with my buddies and play darts. I stopped drinking 5 years ago due to some healthy issues.

When I watch a wrestling show I dont sit and watch every second. G1 is good example. I watched every show but not every match. I'm not sitting thru yano,yoshi hashi or some evil matches. I will check cagematch to see what is must watch and what is trash.

MLW is better last few episodes than it was from Oct 2020 to June 2021. That doesnt mean it is as good as 2019...its not. Impact has stuff I like and stuff I fast forward. I think AEW,Strong,NXT UK & ROH are only shows I don't fast forward. You can like everything or hate everything....you wont see me questioning you.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I didn't assume. I said this is not a joke. I would like to know how you manage that time, especially when you're complaining about not being able to manage that time. But again, you're story is not matching up. You're saying that you don't sit and watch it all, but you're saying "these episodes are good" or "these episodes sucked." If you're cherry-picking what you watch anyway, what does it matter?

None of this is adding up except for you just griping for the sake of griping. And it's not about calling you a liar or saying "well how do you do this." I'm using your own words that you say.

Find the things you like and watch those and leave everyone else alone. And don't say that's what you're doing when you're rolling in here saying "wrestling at it's lowest point in years."

Spend less time trolling and more time enjoying the things you like.