Wrestling is at it's lowest point since Early 2001.

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Shanahan

Re: Wrestling is at it's lowest point since Early 2001.

Post by Shanahan »

I never said i was struggling for time. I said how wrestling was much easier to watch than tv/movies.
Shanahan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:15 pm I'm 40 with 7 kids and a business. Even if i wanted to get into a tv show or watches movies my job or kids would interrupt it. With wrestling i can pause it and take a call,go to job site or bring a kid to practice or game and get right back into it. Trying that with movies or tv shows are impossible because i forget what was going on. Wrestling is nice and simple.

Then you sarcastically said "you sound like a fun person"...no trolling there huh? This whole debate is about fact i think most promotions are down right now, you just can't read it and go "thats your opinion..i disagree"...no you have to say that's ridiculous and tell me how many hours of wrestling i should watch a week and call me a troll. Everything i have posted makes total sense. I fit in the wrestling i watch during the week. If you can't, well that sucks for you. My wife loved Game of Thrones. She bitched about the last 2 seasons every week. I never once told her to stop watching it or said her opinion was ridiculous. I would say "You said it was awesome, stick with it, it may turn the corner".

I skipped a few of the worst G1 matches. That means i don't know if the whole G1 was good or bad? Come on. With Impact i don't watch Fallah Bahh or some of the other crappy guys. Ive never told someone i didn't like impact tonight and the reply was "really..the fallah bahh match saved it".

I think most wrestling is down and wrestling as a whole is terrible at the moment. You disagree? ok, tell me how each promotion is putting out banger after banger and is actually much better than a year or 2 ago. If you don't wanna do that then we are done. Have a good day. AEW should be fun tonight IF Cody doesn't win again.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Just to answer your "it's not a joke". Today i woke up at 7am to drive my kids to school and brought my baby to the office because my wife is out of town visiting a sick relative. I got to office at 9:15. I ate breakfast while watching CNN news about the elections. Then i put on youtubetv to watch NXT from last night while i filled out and looked over upcoming work permits. Because of the cold/having baby with me i skipped picking some orders (i'll do that tomorrow after my zoom meeting with a rep from Ferguson). After NXT was over at around noon i put on Dark and Elevation until i left to pick up my kids at 2:15. I got home at 2:45. I went in basement (it's actually just a huge living room) to watch the last NJPW Strong episode with 3 of my kids. The other 4 were in yard,upstairs playing video games or went to a friends house for a few hours. After strong ended i put on Fite to watch last nights NWA episode (which i'm currently watching). Around 6 i'll order Chinese food because i don't feel like cooking. After we eat i'll start putting my kids to bed. The older ones can stay up to whenever they want but younger ones are in bed by 8:30. Then i will call my mom/dad to see how they are and after i'll start AEW on my DVR. After i finish that i will watch MLW and Week by Week before i pass out around midnight. Are you happy now?
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Wrestling is the only “sport” you watch or hobby then?
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:28 pm Wrestling is the only “sport” you watch or hobby then?
I said i watch the NFL. Have a few buddies over on sundays. Ive been to 3 AEW shows this year (NY,Jacksonville,Wisconsin). I go fishing with my dad a couple times a month. I'm teaching some of my younger ones to shoot so they can go hunting with us next year. I take my kids to museums or art shows. We ice skate in the winter. We go to food festivals in the summer.. See...i'm just a normal person.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Me saying "you sound like a fun person" sarcastically does not equal the trolling level of "Wrestling is at it's lowest point since Early 2001" especially when you know the general consensus is completely the opposite. Like completely. The fact that you made this comparison shows how you live on the extremes.

Thank you for the detailed run down of your day-to-day. It seems like extreme overkill for someone who admittedly does not like these things. Why in the world are you watching Dark and Elevation when you have such a low opinion on AEW? YOU SAID YOURSELF IT WAS POINTLESS IN THE FIRST POST ON THIS THREAD!

This is the crux of the argument that I touched down upon. We get it -- you're hate-watching things. Just stop. If you think it's bad and you think it's pointless, then don't watch. It's really, truly that simple.

Again, I know you're a big wrestling fan. We get it. You've flexed that muscle constantly on this board to the point that it's annoying. But just watching all these TV shows just to watch them is not winning you any medals, not earning you any money, and not doing anything except riling you up and then us in turn for having to read your mindless drivel here on the forum.

And yeah, I see the similarity in my point of "if you don't like, then don't watch" as I sit here and respond. So this is my last response then because, guess what? It's that easy, dude. I think this argument is stupid, pointless, and horrendous. Probably the worst since 2001.

So I'm tuning out.

As should you with the thing you feel the same about.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Not once have you told me how all these wrestling companies are putting out the best content ever to prove how amazing wrestling is at the moment because.....WAIT FOR IT.... you can't.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:55 am Not once have you told me how all these wrestling companies are putting out the best content ever to prove how amazing wrestling is at the moment because.....WAIT FOR IT.... you can't.
If you don’t watch everything, how could one tell you? I only watch NWA and AEW. I stopped watching ROH about a month ago and stopped watching MLW too. I haven’t watched WWF on a regular basis in 20 years. Impact in about 3 years. Can’t really tell you what goes in there aside from signings and firings.

Just because a bunch of internet “nerds” think the WWF sucks, doesn’t mean it does. People are still watching and probably half the people that complain about it are still closeted fans that are still watching.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Pro-wrestling is in a strange state. There are so many talented athletes especially with the addition of all free agents in the last 6 months (or 6 weeks). However the psychology of how to do a match or how to build up long-term storytelling is suspect.

However that's always the problem. Very few pro-wrestlers have the in-ring ability, promo, entrance, and theme music to be in the main event scene. You need a handful of wrestlers in your organization with at least 3 of the 4 skills above mentioned. Having 8 wrestlers at the top with another 8 floating around the midcard, plus 8 enhancement/rookie wrestlers creates variety.

Point is ... the modern prowrestling scene has plenty of noise, but not much signal.

I personally enjoy Ring Of Honor, NJPWofA, and Bloodsport. However, these are not easily accessible on a regular basis. The irony of cable TV prowrestling is that I'd rather listen to Jim Cornette & Brian Last (and also Konnan & Disco Inferno) critique AEW & WWE than watch it.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

AEW is compelling because you are watching a new company that has the financial backing to succeed & is still learning how to play the game. They have their niche audience that loves them but they have not figured out how to create new customers.

WWE is compelling because you're watching a legendary company in the midst of transition. They are restructuring themselves for a new era, whatever that may eventually mean. Plus the creative genius of VKM is no longer present. The man didn't create a business, he created an universe. The WWE universe. Respect that. However that creativity is no longer there.

Point is both of those companies are more compelling because of their business practices, not because of the actual product (the wrestling). It’s more interesting to fantasy book the business operations than it is to watch the in-ring product.

At the same time, most media products are not that compelling. It's hard to be original in a postmodern world ... especially when Everyone is sniffing the same glue.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

This is similar to how everyone in the podcast world had talked about ROH situation with Sinclair Broadcasting. They fantasy book ROH the business but don't talk about ROH the wrestling. They talk about Sinclair but not about the booking.

It's also like these people who all of a sudden stop watching/can't get into the television show because of the business situation. Did their fantasy business booking bubble burst?

It's this weird situation ... must be a jabroni thing.