WWE vs AEW

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Montana

WWE vs AEW

Post by Montana »

WWE - The money making monopoly.... has the biggest stars; largest ratings. Arguably poor story lines; and boring repetitive TV show; and they are losing lots of top talent to AEW. Between their TV deal & Peacock streaming deal; probably make an estimated 10X what AEW makes at the moment. WWE going for entertainment , larger than life athletes.

AEW: Hot new promotion; signing major talent; all signs point to more major talent coming in. On TNT now; TBS next year. Lots of contracts up next year; with many to resign with AEW. AEW is going for the best wrestlers.

So i kind of see going one of two ways. WWE will always be WWE; and continue to get huge mega TV deals; despite themselves with their repetitive booking. AEW could really dominate going forward.... IF they can make enough money to afford their roster; and keep a good TV deal. TNT signing the NHL; over keeping AEW on TNT; could be a telling sign; OR it could be nothing. It's known that the TNT rep that pushed for AEW; has been let go; but supposedly the TNT/Turner and AEW relationship is strong. Their demo's are good. Not sure how advertisers view stuff like Nick Gage on Dynamite. I can see see AEW either thriving OR crash and burn.

If AEW and Turner were to lose their TV deal; i'm sure other lesser cable companies would be interested. This would mean deep trouble for them in my opinion. I expect AEW to increase programming and streaming services in 2022 to generate more revenue to cover expenses.

It seems a little risky for AEW to sign all of this talent; without releasing anyone. Their ratings seem stable; and with good demo's; OK viewership. Just seems odd that AEW can afford to pay of these guys; and my assumption is that AEW views it as an investment they make money off of.
Time will tell if that pays off.

Where do we see AEW & WWE in 5 years??? ROH too if you want.

It also kind of boggles my mind how fans love AEW so much, but barely care about ROH and/or companies like Impact.

(Too bad ROH missed the opportunity that AEW took....clearly AEW is signing all of the EX-ROH/Indy talent; and seems to be working on a bigger stage. Although maybe a blessing; as AEW has the leadership that ROH lacks)
ICHIFUJI

Re: WWE vs AEW

Post by ICHIFUJI »

About 30 years since WWF vs WCW
Where is 20's ECW?
Nowadays USWA is ROH or IMPACT?
Montana

Post by Montana »

This is subjective stuff; but looks like Dynamite has beat Raw in the Demo ratings two weeks in a row; and i assume their Grand slam show will be their 3rd in a row. Not sure if it will continue with the NBA/NHL season starting up; or Dynamite moving to TBS.

AEW tickets seem to be doing well compared to WWE, in the NY market; but how much is it the shiny new toy factor.

Rampage did like 640K viewers; which is nearly 50% of the punk debut. Too early to tell; but seems like Dynamite is quite hot; while Rampage is not required viewing.

Rumors of WWE being sold to Disney are among the latest. Seems like NBC & Fox were also players.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

wwe sucks.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:32 pm wwe sucks.
It really, really does.

So does AEW, though.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

famicommander wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:12 pm
It really, really does.

So does AEW, though.
naaa, aew is awesome.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:58 pm
famicommander wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:12 pm
It really, really does.

So does AEW, though.
naaa, aew is awesome.
It's indistinguishable from WWE, except they're allowed to say shit and there's about a 15% higher chance of any given match not sucking. That's about it.

They have literally put every single terrible, tired WWE trope on TV or PPV. The difference between them is the difference between McDonald's and Burger King.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Naaa, aew is awesome right now.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

You either have no ability to distinguish one from the other or you must think WWE is awesome too.

WWE was bad when they had Punk and Danielson and so is AEW. Same shit.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i dont think so...way different things wwe and aew, but i respect your point of view.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Yeah, way different. Except the wedding storylines, the butler storylines, the kidnapping storylines, the musical numbers, the cinematic matches, the abundance of geezers, the horrible commentary, the horrible camera work, the horrible refereeing, and the complete lack of quality control.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I really just don't know how someone can say WWE and AEW are in distinguishable. Sure, let's list things with no context that they do randomly and make it seem like they are the same.

I even agree that both companies have bad camera work, but that doesn't make them the same when they're bad camera work for completely different reasons. WWE is all about the shaky cam and cutting the camera every 5 seconds to make things jarring and unwatchable. AEW just misses things sometimes with cues and flubs, which is inexperience but it's been 2+ years now so it needs to change.

They both had a butler storyline, but one led directly to a match where the babyface forced to be a butler ended up winning big. What happened with the other one? Oh yeah.... nothing.

And cinematic matches. It's not like AEW or WWE came up with the cinematic matches and it's not like either of them really do them in abundance.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AEW has an absurd amount of cuts and shaking cameras too. They're just not as bad as WWE with it. Their camera work is pathetic just like the rest of their product.

AEW is different from WWE by degree, not by type. They absolutely don't give one singular fuck about match quality or storytelling. People let AEW get away with the same shit they've been bitching about WWE doing every week for 20 years because AEW is still in its honeymoon period.
DougN

Post by DougN »

famicommander wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:51 am They absolutely don't give one singular fuck about match quality or storytelling.
It's hard to even form a counter to something so logically absurd.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

DougN wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:38 am
famicommander wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:51 am They absolutely don't give one singular fuck about match quality or storytelling.
They don't, though. That's why every single person on their roster does every single move they know how to do in every single match. That's why they botch more than any major US promotion ever has. That's why their refs just stand there like slackjawed idiots while every single "rule" is broken by both the babyfaces and the heels and all 15 managers both sides brought to the ring.

That's why guys like Penta and Kingston and Cody turn heel or face every other week; sometimes more than once inside the same episode.
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

Made a two-night WWE vs AEW supercard

Night 1:
Elite Rumble
Brian Cage, Cameron Grimes, Cedric Alexander, Chuck Taylor, Colt Cabana, Drew Gulak, Eddie Kingston, Ethan Page, Frankie Kazarian, Isaiah Scott, Jeff Hardy, Jordan Devlin, John Morrison, Jungle Boy, Keith Lee, Kushida, Lio Rush, Luchasaurus, Matt Hardy, Matt Sydal, Miro, Mustafa Ali, Oney Lorcan, Orange Cassidy, Rey Mysterio, Samoa Joe, Santos Escobar, Scorpio Sky, Timothy Thatcher, Trent?

AEW TNT Championship
Sammy Guevara vs Ricochet

The Inner Circle (Ortiz & Santana) vs The New Day (Big E & Kofi Kingston)

Adam Page vs Cesaro

Kyle O'Reilly vs Pac

WWE Intercontinental Championship
King Nakamura vs Andrade El Idolo

Adam Cole vs Finn Balor

WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championships
The Usos vs The Young Bucks

CM Punk vs Kevin Owens

Bryan Danielson vs Walter

Night 2:
MJF vs Riddle

Christian Cage vs Sami Zayn

FTR vs Moustache Mountain

WWE NXT Cruiserweight Championship
Roderick Strong vs Darby Allin

WWE NXT UK Championship
Ilja Dragunov vs Malakai Black

Chris Jericho vs Pete Dunne

Drew McIntyre vs Jon Moxley

AEW World Tag Team Championships
The Lucha Brothers vs #DIY

Cody Rhodes vs Seth Rollins

AEW World Championship
Kenny Omega vs AJ Styles

What inter-promotional dream matches would you guys like to see?
DougN

Post by DougN »

famicommander wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:06 pm
DougN wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:38 am
They don't, though. That's why every single person on their roster does every single move they know how to do in every single match. That's why they botch more than any major US promotion ever has. That's why their refs just stand there like slackjawed idiots while every single "rule" is broken by both the babyfaces and the heels and all 15 managers both sides brought to the ring.

That's why guys like Penta and Kingston and Cody turn heel or face every other week; sometimes more than once inside the same episode.
Please name a time where someone did two turns in one episode of AEW.

I'm all for making a point, but let's temper the hyperbole here especially when one of your three comparisons is a guy who has never turned heel but gets booed and played to it. It would be like saying Reigns flip flopped being a babyface from 2014-2019. You're kind of missing the point.