UWN actually becoming a thing?

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
famicommander

Re: UWN actually becoming a thing?

Post by famicommander »

kovs27 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:57 pm I will say I'm intrigued by what Marquez is doing. While it's a low budget show he does have a long history of finding quality talent early on in their career. Is he going to just run a bun of championship wrestling from shows in several markets or is this leading to something bigger?
He claims to be launching another promotion after Atlanta this year bringing his local total to 5, then bringing back UWN Primetime Live as a free show and the national face of the brand.

We'll see what he actually delivers.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The placeholder website for Championship Wrestling From Atlanta is up:
http://www.cwfatlanta.com

The new dedicated facility for Championship Wrestling From Memphis opened with a set of TV tapings yesterday. This is the only photo I have seen from the tapings, retweeted by the official account from some fan:

Looks pretty low rent still but a big improvement over what they ran out of for the first few weeks. I think a better ring canvas and apron will go a long way. Maybe some bleachers. Definitely way below the venue they film NJPW Strong and CWFH out of. I don't think I'll be watching any of their shows any time soon. They're starting from the very bottom rung of the ladder by the looks of it.

And finally, Marquez posted an image of his new license to promote events in Oregon. Sounds like that will be the fifth regional promotion he referred to earlier this year but he didn't directly confirm that yet.

Championship Wrestling From Hollywood - running shows regularly, syndicated on over 130 outlets
Championship Wrestling From Arizona - still on COVID hiatus, currently repackaging CWFH content with local hosts for TV, syndicated in 9 states
Championship Wrestling From Memphis - now running shows regularly, airing locally on CW30
Championship Wrestling From Atlanta - soon to launch, airing locally on Peachtree TV (same network that aired WCW Saturday Night)
Apparently an Oregon promotion to come this year
Return of Primetime Live still anticipated this year but no news
GODSON

Post by GODSON »

Just low budget indies with local TV working together. Nothing really new or special. I would prefer an alliance with the NWA,SWE,ROW, and OVW.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Marquez was saying today that Championship Wrestling Gulf Coast, which is currently CWFH repackaged with local Louisiana hosts,will eventually be a standalone promotion. He intends to transition it the same way he did with Memphis. He didn't give a timeframe on this one but it would presumably be after the upcoming Atlanta and the previously alluded-to Oregon promotions.

There's also Championship Wrestling Presented By West Coast Pro Wrestling, which is confusing. It's a SF local indie hosting CWFH content. So if they spin that into its own promotion, how would that work if WCPW is already a promotion? Would Marquez just absorb it?
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Memphis is a tough watch.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shanahan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:59 pm Memphis is a tough watch.
The first episode taped at their new facility airs tomorrow. It will probably still suck but it should be a big improvement. Jerry Jarrett will be on the show.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Memphis got better with their new facility but they still have a long way to go. I didn't watch the whole episode, just skipped around on Youtube. Watched maybe 20 minutes. Thoughts:
-The need to get a white canvas and a ring apron that has their logo on it.
-Definitely need to get some padding on the ground around the ring
-Not sure how much can be done about the lighting given the space limitations but any improvement would be nice
-Jerry Jarrett looked like he just woke up from a nap on the couch and got directly into the ring

I'll check back in at the next set of tapings and see what, if anything, has improved.

One thing I do like is how they advertise various local indie wrestling shows with on screen graphics during the matches. It starts to build a connected wrestling fanbase in the area that hopefully promotions like ROH, MLW, and Impact can tap into when they come through Tennessee. Get people used to going to different shows at different venues, get people familiar with whatever faces might be on those various cards.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Championship Wrestling From Atlanta will be running out of Center Stage. That's a really nice venue, especially compared to Memphis. Hopefully they put a decent ring and setup there.

Marquez is also talking about promoting shows from Texas and Missouri.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The main UWN Prime Time Live brand will start touring this September, beginning with non-televised shows.

Sounds like CWFA at Center Stage will start airing in September as well.

Lance Archer apparently wrestled at the CWFM tapings this weekend. Probably hit his head on the ceiling in that shitty venue.

Still no return date on Arizona running live again or start dates for any of the future expansions.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Championship Wrestling From Atlanta will air at 10pm on Saturdays on Peach Tree TV.